PDA

View Full Version : Returning To Everquest2 ?'s

Wolf
December 9th, 2006, 12:21 PM
After not playing a MMORPG for a few months I'm starting to feel the effects and I really need to get back into one that can keep me occupied for a month at least. I can't even think about playing WoW again after doing all the high end raids so I was thinking about getting back into Everquest II and playing one of my old characters or making a new one and had a few questions, mostly having to do with Everquest II's population.

1) After the EoF expansion do people still create characters in the old cities? Right now I only have the classic EQ2 and don't really have any cash to spend on expansions.

2) If they do, are there enough to keep the low end zones somewhat populous and not abandoned? My highest character was only about 23 or so and I would rather not spend hours waiting for a small dungeon group or leveling alone.

3) Hows the PVP? (I left so long ago)

Thats about it for now, thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure I played on the Permafrost server if that helps in term of population. I might have had various characters on the RP servers too.

Kikaro
December 9th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Well, in all honesty, I go into Commonlands, and dont see many people. I havnt been to Antonica at all, so I cant say anything about it. With the Fae invading, and being able to go to Qeynos, it seems more possible for them to be there than Commonlands.

The New zones are very populated, so without EoF, you might be running into a bit of a Lull finding players. I know on Antonia Bayle, we have one of the more populated servers, and I still have problems seeing people in Commonlands.

I know nothing of PVP so I cant help you there.

Wolf
December 9th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Oh let me throw in another question just about Everquest 2 in general. Is Halas anywhere in the game, either an actual town or the ruins or something? My friend loves that zone and would come back if its in there.

Kikaro
December 9th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I believe that is a no. Or I jsut havnt seen it. But I dont think its there.

Wolf
December 9th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Alright, thanks.

Anyone else know why my patch would be taking over 20 hours? I mean my internet isn't slow, I have cable. When I started patching it said something like 36-48 hours (can't remember) but then it went down really low to about 4 hours and started rising up steadily and is now at 15 hours.

I decided I would just buy EoF since I would be missing out on the community and thats really what I'm going back for. Would installing that help with this patch time? I'm assuming it is putting stuff in from that game and I figure installing that from the discs would be faster than downloading the information. Also, if I stopped the patcher to install EoF would it start the patch process all over or keep what it has already updated?

Kikaro
December 9th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Yeah I tried patching and got the whole 30 hour thing. I said screw it and bought EoF, and it dropped to 30 minutes. My original install was EQ2 Original and DoF (KoS was a digital download)

The EoF expansion comes with all the games so that will make patchign lots better.

Wolf
December 9th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Yeah, so I bought it and found out that it gives me all the expansions so thats pretty awesome. I also got a DVD drive out of this because they didn't have a CD version. Right now I'm borrowing my sisters but my dad plans on buying me one tomorrow so that is cool.

When it started patching this time it was around an hour but now it is going up and is around 3 hours now, I'm going to reset it soon though and see if that does anything.

Thanks for all your replies Kikaro

Kikaro
December 9th, 2006, 09:10 PM
NP =)

I dunno what server you will be on, but if you land on AB, look me up.

Wolf
December 9th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I was actually thinking about that server since you said it was populous. Are you with Freeport or Qeynos? Or does that matter anymore?

Oh, another question in general. Say I took a race that can't start in Kelethin and ran there, would they accept me? Do I have to start with Qeynos for them to accept me? How hard is the journey and if you have time can some one explain where to go from Qeynos?

Kikaro
December 10th, 2006, 12:27 AM
I am Freeportian. But if you pick a "good" race, you can automatically start out in Kelethin. If you start in Qeynos, you will need to take a boat to Butcherblock. Not an easy trip mind you.

evil races are not welcome in kelethin.

Almeric
December 11th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Races that used to be able to start on Faydwer in EQ1 have the option of starting in Kelethin in EQ2.

Halas still hasn't been found yet.

The non-EoF newbie zones are likely not-too-crowded because everybody and their brother has made a Fae. Someday, I hope, it'll even out ;)

Finally: Go Go Permafrost!

Aren31
December 11th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I got an email telling me that for $39.99 you can buy the game including ALL expansions

Tainda
December 12th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Just as a note and I see the last post was 2 days ago but....

Fae, Half Elves, gnomes, dwarves and wood elves can start in Kelethin, the rest can't.

I do believe you're going to find it pretty empty in the old zones right now, give it a bit of time though. I haven't even left EoF zones with my fae yet and she's 25 and I doubt I will leave them much.

But I can say for a fact this is one of my favorite expansions ever put out and that's coming from someone who has played them all.

Have fun! :)

Shinma
December 12th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Two words.

Fae Bruiser.

Rawr.

Edit: I know its not possible yet, im just saying. >B)

Almeric
December 13th, 2006, 02:16 AM
I got an email telling me that for $39.99 you can buy the game including ALL expansions

This is true, but PLEASE note that this is ONLY for the boxed, storebought version of Echoes of Faydwer.

Frankly, I find the whole thing kinda skeevy. I've already had people in the past get burned by purchasing EQ2 Basic via digital download, not realizing that if they bought the DoF expansion in a store, for instance, that it would have come with the basic game. Now people are getting triple-burned if they purchase EQ2 Basic online by losing 3 free expansions. Heck, if you owned only EQ2 Basic and then bought EoF via digitial download, you'd lose out on the other 2 expansions, too. Grr, it just irks me.

BUT, despite that, EoF is a lot lot lot of fun and if you DO buy the store copy, getting a whole EQ2 set all at once in a great buy. TONS of content for your buck!

Lirren
December 13th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Just as a note and I see the last post was 2 days ago but....

Fae, Half Elves, gnomes, dwarves and wood elves can start in Kelethin, the rest can't.

Not half-elves. High elves.

I came back just before EoF was released, and I'm so glad I did. In fact, even my hubby has started to play a lot again. We're having a wonderful time, and I'm absolutely thrilled with my new fae. Kelethin is fantastic, and the first time I ran through the Combine Spires in GFay I got hit with a huge wave of nostalgia. They even have a reanimated Nexus Scion there!