PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the in-game advertisements for Lord of EverQuest..

Hellfire99X
December 4th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Am I the only one who finds Sony's recent in-game advertising campaign to be really annoying, if not outrageous? I mean, it's bad enough that it's already in the MOTD, and you get a little pop-up window at the EQ server select screen every time you log in which practically begs you to accidentally click on the wrong button...

(For those who don't know -- Sony's lead GMs have been performing system-wide broadcast-advertisements for Lords of EverQuest for the past few days.)

Triv
December 4th, 2003, 06:39 PM
yeah thats very anoying

its probobly a conspiracy to cut down on the leet E'Ci Paladins like us, and bring them over to Lords

Chavarko
December 4th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Yea, I'm not currently playing, but I was when Yekesha came out. Quite annoying. Like when about 500 people accidentally pre-registered for Yekesha trying to log in.

Raven00x
December 4th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Found this on eqluclin.com, and which came from graffe's, which in turn came from the concert hall...and so on.
http://www.graffe.com/forums/showthread.php?s=838da721c93fc4137ab081565e2d6a60&threadid=11355

Open up your eqclient.ini file.
Find the line which reads "LoEPopUpLastView=1070191038"
Change it to "LoEPopUpLastView=9970191038"

Goodbye, popup for a game I have no intention of ever, ever buying.

Hellfire99X
December 4th, 2003, 06:56 PM
That's some good info there, Raven. Thanks. :)

Zorathenne
December 4th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Bless you, sweet Raven. *huggle*
I know what to do now when I get back to GA and get back on EQ =).

I'm kinda glad I'm not on EQ for the time being to see the in game messages..

Satarus
December 4th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Yeah that pop up was annoying as anything. Also the GM serverwide messages were really ghey. Like all these pop ups will make me buy evercraft.. errr I mean Lords of warquest.. i mean Lords of Everquest

Kaylen
December 4th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Actually, a fair number of people have probably already accidentally bought it. I'd consider it for the EQ2 beta, but I don't like how they say "special phase." "There.. there aren't any graphics." "Yeah, we're testing the text."

KiTA
December 4th, 2003, 07:07 PM
lol.

I would sign up for it, and do the crap needed to get into the "special phase" of the beta, but knowing these guys, that special phase will be 3 weeks before EQ2 retail in 2006. So instead of ditching EQ for FF11, Horizons, AO, etc, I can spend $50 on a game and stay around for the promise of EQ2 beta... maybe... someday.

Right. ;)

Kaylen
December 4th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Based on the recent trend of MMORPGs, you never know, EQ2 could come out tomorrow. When Blizzard eventually releases WoW, it will blow people away if this trend keeps up.. Blizzard enjoys finishing their games - as much as an MMORPG could be finished, anyway.

KiTA
December 4th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Well, yes. ;) Considering it's just SWG in Norrath after 500 years (with a healthy dose of Asheron Call 2's storyline thrown in for flavor) I wouldn't be surprised at all if they moved the launch up a few months. =)

Anyone know if FF11 has surpassed EQ yet in subscriptions? Last I heard it was due to hit 420,000 this week or next.

Kaylen
December 4th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Again.. FFXI has a much larger customer base to draw from. Everyone in Asia, plus the small percentage of MMOG fans in the Western Hemisphere. Get me a figure of the accounts over here.

copasnece
December 4th, 2003, 07:43 PM
FFXI reminds me so much of EQ its not even funny. But i always liked most of EQ. Fortunately FFXI has kept everything i loved about EQ and got rid of most of the things i hated.

But thats beside the point and off topic. As for the advertisements, i would think after the uproar people had when they did the ads for LoY, SOE wouldn't be stupid to do it again. But i was wrong, my faith in SOE need to just fade away.

The sad thing is before i bought FFXI i was thinking of getting lords of everquest. Then when they announced it was the only way to get into EQ2 beta (at least i think its the only way), on top of the advertisements, i would never buy that game, strickly out of principle. That pissed me off. Everquest is and was a great game, but ever since SOE took over it just seemed to lose its touch in my opinion.

Poofe 'n Evandril
December 4th, 2003, 07:50 PM
'Tis not the only way to get into Beta, just gets you into a 'special' phase of Beta, right before they do the Open Beta (Where anyone who can sign up can get in, for the most part)

I'm still never buying LoE on general principles, though ;)

Kaylen
December 4th, 2003, 07:54 PM
The LoE beta was pretty fun. But after logging onto a game I pay to play - and most things I pay for are devoid of advertisements - and being spammed by Lead GM Whoever, I'm not going to. Hopefully, if no one buys it, it will discourage them from spamming their userbase in the future.

KiTA
December 4th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Again.. FFXI has a much larger customer base to draw from. Everyone in Asia, plus the small percentage of MMOG fans in the Western Hemisphere. Get me a figure of the accounts over here.

EQ has EU/KR/JP servers too. Remember the stink about the Sleeper being killed? One of the arguments was that it wasn't the first time he died, since a group in Asia killed the "old sleeper."

Kaylen
December 4th, 2003, 10:20 PM
The servers in Asia aren't owned by Sony, though, and I highly doubt (though I am not sure) the Asian accounts count towards Sony's public total. I could be wrong.. but I doubt it.

And Europe is part of the Western world.

Tenolein
December 4th, 2003, 10:49 PM
-=sighs=-
I just want to check out EQ2 beta. Thats all. I think I'll wait and try to sign up for it and hope they like me. Heh. As for the serverwide ads, I agree, it's fairly sad to see it, but since the last time I've played (before I came back the last time) it seems as if EverQuest has lost a few players now. Obviously to FFVII, DAoC and such. The serverwide messages, I think, are kind of a last resort effort to get more people to play the game. I'm most likely wrong though.

John Dyne
December 5th, 2003, 02:58 AM
Actually, the 'special phase' is the phase where the people who spent 40 - 50 bucks a month to play on Stormhammer get to beta test EQ2. The phase where everyone who bought LoE and registered it, and kept their account in good standing gets to beta test is AFTER the Stormhammer one. And chances are we won't see the beta test for another year or so.

Min the Druid
December 5th, 2003, 03:21 AM
wow that's awesome info Raven, now if you could only /ignore broadcasts.

Nosferatu
December 5th, 2003, 04:02 AM

That number corresponds to Dec 7, 2003 - IIRC, so you really only have a few more days of the spamming left, AFAIK.

Everlore has a thread about changing it to 1100000000 (which corresponds to a date in 1972, I think).

Gurm
December 5th, 2003, 06:30 AM
What bothers me the most about these ads is that I'm getting spammed by them all the time (well, *was* getting spammed until I changed the number in the .ini file) when it is for US/Canada only.

"Buy this game!"
"No..."
"Buy this game please!"
"No..."
"Buy this game pretty please!"
"No..."
"Buy this game pretty please with sugar on top!"
"Hmm... ok then, I'll buy it..."
"Oh, sorry you can't, you don't live in the right country"
"Ah, ok, I really didn't want to buy it anyway"
"Buy this game!"
"No!"
"Buy this game please!"
"NO!"
"Buy this game pretty please!"
"ARARAGYA T "#$%%%!!!!!!"

Billybobtheranger
December 7th, 2003, 09:42 PM
yea i'm one of those people that accidently ordered LOY a while back. Ohwell...Got the edit for ini from Eqdruids and i love it..Sucks that everytime i log in though I see the broadcast....and then all over the EQ webpage...then a billion other places.

Nolequen
December 8th, 2003, 01:12 AM
The Asian servers are actually not for Japan, though you might think that would make sense. They are localized for China. There might be some that are localized for Korea, but there are, to the best of my knowledge, no servers for Japan.

I really didn't mind the first time I saw the pop-up or got the in game spam, but the constant spamming of it is growing tiresome. It actually is unbelievably distracting when you are trying to do a druid CH rotation on the Rampage Tank to suddenly have that text flash across one of your windows.

Nolequen