PDA

View Full Version : So...this can't be good

Tristate0999
January 3rd, 2007, 07:35 AM
Last night during a WoW session my computer started to make an odd noise...can't really tell exactly what it was, but I know what happened after that. My screen went black for a bit then popped up the "Blue Screen of Death". I can't tell you the exact error at the moment but I'll post it when I get home, assuming the internet is working. So I'll be looking for any and all help at all to try and fix this problem. Look back here at about 5:50 or so est and I'll post the error and system specs...if I can remember how to easily print those off.

Pojodan
January 3rd, 2007, 09:56 AM
Odd noises are generally attributed to one of these things:

1) Internal speaker squawking error codes, which is invariably due to overheating
2) An internal fan is dying, if it's a case fan, it's not so bad, if it's the CPU fan, then you've got a problem
3) A dying hard drive, which means the clock is ticking for time before your data goes poof.

I'd recommend not turning your system on again till you can independantly test each of these possibilities. At the least, you'll need to grab a new CPU fan, which is cheep, at the worst you may need to acquire a new hard drive and an external hard drive bay for the sake of trying to coax your data off the old drive, if it's the one failing.

Tristate0999
January 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Also I forgot to mention an odd behavior that was happening recently. I would browse to my C drive and the folders would show up, but then almost immediately vanish. They'd come back after hitting back and then going back into the C drive. So I'm gonna have to assume my HD is kicking the bucket the more I think about it...:( and the computer isn't a year old yet.

Koskun
January 3rd, 2007, 11:39 AM
Odd noises can also be optical drives (which can result in bsod's), and power supply fans (which can be really bad).

You incident with folders not refreshing properly does sound like the hard drive is having issues.

I've had a hard drive die on me while using it. Generally the sound is like that of putting a pen in a slow moving fan. A result of the read head banging into the spindle at the middle of the platter.

I'd suggest take the drive out, back-up any data you want/need, and hope it lasts the read. The freezer trick does work, but is a very last resort (usually).

Da_Dude
January 4th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Oh shit, my dad's computer was making that kind of a noise too. I better have that checked out.

Mutton
January 4th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Not much you can do to check out the inner workings of a hard drive unless you have access to a clean room and many thousands of dollars in diagnostics equipment. Some software tests can be valuable in determining the life of your drive, I'm a big fan of HDRegenerator as it's recovered quite a bit of lost data for me.

Best just to back up frequently and use them till they burn out.

Tristate0999
January 4th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Well the internet tubes are clogged around my area and I was unable to access said internet. Anyway bought a back up last night and decided to open up my computer, and holy crap. I had just cleaned out my computer not that long ago but something must have happened to cause dust bunnies to run rampant around inside. The large fan connected to the heat sink was probably functioning poorly, and the heat sink had a large amount of dust on it. So I spent about 15 to 20 minutes clearing the dust off of all the fans and components and ran a couple stress tests after backing up my data. All memory sectors are running well...so I'm a bit confused. I also kept a watch on the fans as they ran and it appeared as if everything's ok. Also I checked the shut down temp in the bios before starting my computer up and it was close to 100C/F (97 if I remember correctly) so I think my computer just overheated. Atleast I'm hoping that's what it was.

Pojodan
January 4th, 2007, 11:36 AM
100 F is actually fairly nominal temp for the CPU to be running at.. once you get around 130-140 is when problems start happening.

I've gotten bitten by dust bunnies before m'self, one managing to short out a component on my motherboard causing a mini explosion that left a black stain and a splatter of solder, rendering the board useless.

If it was a simple case of clogged fans then consider yourself lucky and get some canned air to use as often as you can get around to it.

I'd still suggest a data backup.. 1 GB pen drives are cheep these days and is usually plenty to get all your important data safely tucked away.

Tristate0999
January 4th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Oh I definately backed everything up that I needed/wanted backed up onto the external we got last night. It's bascially turning into our pictures/videos drive as well.

Andara Bledin
January 4th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Yikes. Hope you got lucky and it was just the dust bunnies having a party.

I have a 180g drive I got at Frys that I partitioned, and was using it as my C & D drives. I had a problem with random folders and filed disappearing from the C partition, and it lost necessary Windows files a few times before I changed to a different boot drive. To this day, the second part of the partition (the larger, thankfully) works without any problems at all, but the first section will save data, but then won't be able to see/access it.

Also, remember there are more fans than just the case and CPU fans. You've also got one (or more) in your power supply, and these days, many video cards also come with fans.

^-.-^

Tristate0999
January 5th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Yeah my computer has 1 large fan that is the air intake fan, which will run incoming cool air across the heat sink, and then there's the 2 fans on my power supply and another on my video card. The worst of the 4 was the large air intake fan, and then the video card fan, which is just across the way from the heat sink. I bet I used about half the air canister just blowing out my computer thoroughly. I haven't been using my computer lately cause the internet is still down at my house :(...stinking MediaCom.

Zutan
January 9th, 2007, 08:19 AM
something i use to find where odd sounds are coming from is the touch test.

make sure your grounded so your not going to fry something.

and go through the case touching fan cases hard drive cases and things like that the one making the sound will be vibrating. (as the sound is normaly caused by something not spinning true and wobbling ) has worked well with my computer.

hope it helps. just dont touch a high speed fan.. that hurts.

Andara Bledin
January 9th, 2007, 05:45 PM
An addendum to the "touch" test. Often, a rattling component will go quiet when you put pressure against the case.

Use a pencil with an eraser. You should be able to get nearly as much feedback regarding motion, and there's little to no chance of a static discharge or feeding a fingertip to high speed fan blades.

^-.-^

Guardian
February 2nd, 2007, 07:17 PM
Is this a vanilla box? or an OEM?