PDA

View Full Version : BBQ thread

Ciarin
January 7th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I don't remember if we've had a thread like this before. Hopefully this is new.

So, this thread is all about BBQ. I recently watched a thing about BBQ on the History Channel (http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=179885). Amazing thing that barbecue.

So, what's your favourite BBQ recipe? What style do you like the best - texas bbq, southern style, vinegar based, tomato based, mustard based? How often do you bbq and how long does it take? A proper barbecue should take about 20 hours according to some people. Do you like Faux Cue (that's like when you grill the food and then add premade bbq sauce), or the McRib? If you're good at barbecuing, do you have any tips?

My favourite thing to have barbecue'd is ribs and I like the texas style, but not too spicy. I also like Faux cue. I've never barbecue'd before but I've grilled. I think it would be cool if we could do a GU BBQ event.

Coffee
January 7th, 2007, 11:44 AM
BBQ has indeed been around a long while; a time honoured tradition with roots in pre-Colombian America. It can be good stuff.

I think my favourite would have to be game though; either deer or buffalo. Haven't had either in a long time though.

Soria
January 7th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Hmm...I guess faux cue, grilling, and not sure on style.

Favourite thing to grill would have to be hmmm.. Damn..hard choice.. tie between steak and ribs.

Puckster
January 7th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I think my favourite would have to be game though; either deer or buffalo. Haven't had either in a long time though.

My wife and I were talking about how we would like to BBQ some buffalo ribs just two nights ago. We don't know where to get it around here, though. Buffalo is just so lean it seems like it would make some really awesome ribs.

As for what I like, I'm all about a 9 hour smoked brisket. My father-in-law makes a really mean one. It's simple, too. He just puts the rub on and then put it on the pit for a good 9 hours or so. Turn every 3 hours or so. Oh, and have plenty of beer on hand.

Other than that, I love *grilling* a good steak. (BIG difference between grilling and BBQ)

Kikaro
January 7th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I love Ribs with lots of sauce! MMM!!!!

Not a big beef eater here, so I stick to chicken and pork and stuff. But my dad makes BBQ chicken in the summer, and we all go there and eat. Its soooo good.

bob the goat
January 8th, 2007, 06:22 AM
I have never done a traditional barbecue, due to a lack of back yard. I make what my friends have called apartment-b-que.

Dump a 4lb bag of frozen (or thawed) boneless chicken breast in a large skillet. Add 1.5 bottles of your favorite barbeque sauce. I add some salt and a little crushed red pepper to spice. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and cover. Simmer for 3-4 hours stirring every 20 minutes. Remove the lid for the last hour of cooking. Remove the chicken from the pan, bring to a boil stirring continuously to thicken the sauce. While that is happening, shred the chicken using 2 forks. When the sauce is thick dump the chicken back in and cook on medium for 10-15 minutes. Cooking times can all varry, 3 hours for de-frosted chicken, 4 for frozen etc. I have cooked it as much as 6 hours but did not notice a difference beyond 4.

My favorite way to serve it is on a thick bed of mashed potatoes with some sharp cheddar sprinkled over it.

Takara
January 8th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I love veggies that have been grilled. Asapragus, corn on the cob, even fruits like pineapple are wonderful grilled.

Bobthepenguin
January 8th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Sunny's BBQ Baked Beans. The gods have smiled on them, and they are the best in the world.

BTW, Taks, Amen to the pineapple. Ever had one at a Brazillian grill? Oh so good. The juice carmelizes, and it's the most wonderful fruit ever

bob the goat
January 8th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I love grilled pineapple either on a burger or in place of one.

Clareon Wolfeyes
January 8th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Ribs, Ribs and more Ribs, oh and maybe steak, and fish, and veggies, and pizza, and bananas, and chicken and pork roast...

Tristate0999
January 8th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I love my mom's Barbecued Pork Roast, and my dad makes some great ribs. I've got to get their recipes once I get a backyard. Also...I'm now obligated to try and cook that BBQ Chicken there bob.

asquithfeare
January 8th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Hrmm...well I grill, and I make my own sauce. I like to go to my dad's and grill because he made his own pit and uses wood to cook ze steaks, ribs and chicken! Yum......Marinating is important, I usually prepare my marinade 3 days before I'm going to grill and allow the meat to soak it up.

Beer, some cheap red wine, garlic, peppers (your choice of heat level), onions, various herbs (depending on your preference), chili powder and worchesteshire sauce. Mmmm...mmmm.

Oops and a some spicy brown mustard for tang!

Coffee
January 8th, 2007, 02:10 PM
My wife and I were talking about how we would like to BBQ some buffalo ribs just two nights ago. We don't know where to get it around here, though. Buffalo is just so lean it seems like it would make some really awesome ribs.

Hehe, buffalo would be tough to find in the forests of east Texas. The prime game of the tribes in that region was the deer.

BBQ is more than just good eats though. It's a little piece of a history that the 'winners' tried to write out of the textbooks.

Keaolien
January 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I LOVE to Grill and BBQ. It is pretty much the only way I cook during the summer months. I generally do ribs, steaks, burgers, hotdogs, venison, veggies, and shikabobs.

My personal fav is my steak, which goes as follows:

12 oz. Sirlion steak (any size you want will work)
1 bottle of beer. I've found that Kokanee and Keiths work well.
Montreal Steak Spice 2-5 tbls (pending on taste)
1/4 dice garlic
Worchester sauce (to taste, I use a TON of it)
1/4 tbls cayeen peper powder (to taste)

let this beautiful mixture sit in the fridge for 15-24 hours. take it out, preheat your BBQ for about 10 min prior to putting steak on it. Add steak spice and worchester suace while grilling to desired ammount. Cook to taste, personally, I prefer mine rare or blue, but others may not enjoy that.

Andara Bledin
January 8th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I don't cook. Not only do I not really like to do it, but I'm also no good at it, so it's not something I put my hand to. And I don't like steak. And I don't like barbecque sauce.

However, I do like a number of grilled foods. Seafood is a particular favorite. And I'm a big fan of pineapple and mushrooms.

^-.-^

Ciarin
January 8th, 2007, 08:51 PM
omg I love worcestershire sauce.

Coffee
January 9th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Woostah sauce? What does that have to do with BBQ?

Bobthepenguin
January 9th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Turtle sauce (our word for Worchestire sp sauce, since my uncle can't say it) has EVERYTHING to do with BBQ. It makes the best hamburgers ever!

asquithfeare
January 9th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Everything!!!! "Marinade"......I'll say it again.........."marinade"

Andara Bledin
January 9th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I don't cook, but even I know that worcestershire sauce is a vatal component in most marinades.

^-.-^

Puckster
January 9th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I like to throw a little in my burgers before cooking from time to time for taste.

My best friend makes some really mean fajitas on the grill, as well. The best thing is to wrap the meat and vegetables in tin foil and then leave it to simmer on the grill.

Coffee
January 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Turtle sauce (our word for Worchestire sp sauce, since my uncle can't say it) has EVERYTHING to do with BBQ. It makes the best hamburgers ever!

Granted, I'll concede that point, but I feel a distinction should be made between grilling and BBQ. Worchestire sauce is a great marinade for grilling. But grilling =/= barbeque.

I'm not nit-picky, just a Texan.

Soria
January 10th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I stated I grilled and not BBQed right? Although I'm not sure the difference. ( I'm pretty sure its a time thing.)

Ciarin
January 10th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Yea, I'd say grilling is a lot quicker than barbecuing.

From wikipedia-

For those who distinguish between the terms, grilling is almost always a fast process over high heat and barbecue is almost always a slow process using indirect heat and/or hot smoke. For example, in a typical home grill, grilled foods are cooked on a grate directly over hot charcoal; while in barbecuing, the coals are dispersed to the sides or at significant distance from the grate.

Clareon Wolfeyes
January 10th, 2007, 04:47 PM
BBQ is the crockpot of the outdoors.

Ciarin
January 10th, 2007, 04:57 PM
haha! yes I like that analogy.

Clareon Wolfeyes
January 11th, 2007, 10:05 AM
If anybodies a fan of Alton Brown on the food network and you don't have any space for a BBQ pit he had a show where he made a slow cooker or smoker out of a terracota flower pot and made pulled pork. I haven't tried it but I found this link to a person who did, and I think i'll try it this summer.

http://twothirds.org/2005/09/smoking-pot-cheap-terracotta-flower.html

It's basically a flowerpot, with a single burner hot plate in the bottom and the cord going through the hole in the bottom of the pot. Then a pie plate on top of the burner with tinfoil packs of the wet wood of your choice, then a grill with the meat on top, and the base of the flower pot usually goes on top (hopefully with another hole that your thermometer can sit in).

vwvanman
January 12th, 2007, 02:22 PM
http://www.chargriller.com/shop/grills/smokin-pro.html

I love my smoker. For Thanksgiving I smoke turkey and do a prime rib at Christmas. I love to cook salmon as well. I get request for both my grilled and smoked salmon. My coworkers actually pay me to smoke salmon for them. To bad I live in Phx, AZ these days. Nothing bets buying flying salmon in Pike's Place Market in Seattle. Oh how I miss the seafood of the Pacific Northwest.

Ciarin
January 12th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Coffee, what happened to your smoker/grill?

Coffee
January 15th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I think it's still somewhere in the apartment complex in San Antonio.