PDA

View Full Version : A can of worms I probably shouldn't open. (1/11)

Woody
January 11th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Left Behind is a Christian-themed RTS for the PC based on the novels (of the same name) authored by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. In recent months, the game has come under fire from several organizations, both Christian and Islamic, for "promoting intolerance and violence against different faiths". Despite the discourse, the game's publisher, Left Behind Games, recently released a statement noting the "accolades" they'd received from "a large coalition of church and ministry leaders" and the "numerous ministries" that have "endorsed" the game.
Gamespot
If there is a God, I realize that it's most likely blasphemous for me, of all people, to put words in His mouth. But the way I see it, if he could voice his non-association with a religously themed game, he would likely do so via the vocal outcry of religious leaders, groups, organizations, individuals, etc. I just drew a more direct line.

To be clear: the intention of the comic is not to show God disassociating Himself from the game because of it's religious direction or violence, but rather because it is, by all accounts, a terrible game.

Go gently with the hate mail please.

Please Note:
Left Behind Games' CEO, Troy Lyndon, has not directly thanked any of the "numerous ministries" or God. And, the quote in the first bubble is actually from one of the co-authors (Tim LaHaye). But, I wanted to put a face on the comic more directly associated with the game.

Gagmog
January 11th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Oh my, a Left Behind game great :D I do agree with you though Woody that I think God would probably disallow affiliation with its creation. Btw, is the lead played by Kirk Cameron? >.>

magius00
January 11th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Meh i figure if god is eternal he'd have smited you by now for it or he probably won't get around to it what with infinity and all. BEsides you've done so much good making people laugh and all that.

I'll be intrested to see how many marches we get and protests blah blah blah and they always do in lovly rainy and very windy today UK.

Syill great work woody love the work as alwsy and pritty sure one of the peanuts came back out through my nose laughing at the idea of the heavenly voice coming down on this one.

Zorz Muaddieb
January 11th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I still want the religious fighting game. Just imagine the fatalities. :)

-Z

Vuther
January 11th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I expected God saying "I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!" was an implication that the game was lousy :-)

LaughingOtter
January 11th, 2007, 01:26 PM
"You just winged him. Now he's a Unitarian." - Rod & Todd Flanders, 'The Simpsons'

So, if we get Jack Thompson to go after these folks, any chance they'll both vanish in a puff of logic and make the world a better place for all?

Katuyah
January 11th, 2007, 01:36 PM
LOL! Good one, Woody.

I personally believe that there has been enough fighting in the real world "in the name of God" to make God sick over it Himself, but I don't think a video game can be blamed for this one, no matter how much the anti-gaming arm of the community tries... :rolleyes:

LOL what am I saying? People never want to take responsibility for their own prejudices...

OScotinos
January 11th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I was highly amused :D

God probably wouldn't have anything to do with any video games as I see it..
but then, of course, Noah's Arch was probably just a beta for "Destroy all Humans"

Woody
January 11th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Hopefully I'm owning my prejudices here. Though it might not be exactly clear from reading the writeup, the intention of the comic is that God is disassociating himself from the game, not for any religious reason, but because the game is, from all accounts, terrible.

---

And please, let's not make this an overly religious-based discussion. Unfortunately, those tend to end badly here.

Mei
January 11th, 2007, 01:42 PM
A repeated theme / saying from entertainers anyways. 'I'd also finally like to Thank God for helping me' Which could also why other religions dislike the "western" culture so.

lordwolfy
January 11th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Hmmm, it's about time the christians enterd the playing field... I mean it's all been led by an ungodly league of gamemakers like ID Software and such!!! Finally a company that makes games that shows the true nature of God and his creation... (sorry for the sarcasm folks, it's not all bad, as it seems...)

No, honestly, I think its nice that someone on the other end finally puts out something instead of complaing about everyone else... Now they can see how hard it is to actually release a game... How much flak they can muster... And it seems someone has found "ye-ol'-flak-cannon" and started pumping shots already...

I have only one thing to say and that is: Good luck... and gods speed!

Target
January 11th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I would of expected God saying "I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!" was an implication that the game was lousy :/

Follow woody's link to the gamespot article and check out the screenshots.

egad!

Im pretty sure it does suck.

Midnight Son
January 11th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Just who is one supposed to thank if they don't want to look like total jerks by taking all the credit themselves? I mean, besides all the developers and other sundry underlings who should never be given credit for anything...ever.

Meat
January 11th, 2007, 01:50 PM
...Christian and Islamic, for "promoting intolerance and violence against different faiths"...
Not to be cynical(ok, that is a lie), but this seems to be a religious community that has been silent until now, most vocal western religious people tend to think very lowly of anyone who isn't a part of their religion and end up being a bit intolerant, but maybe that is just me and how I view anyone with an opinion.

tuckerpb2
January 11th, 2007, 02:03 PM
How do you know that god did not use you to get his true message out.

Katuyah
January 11th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Hopefully I'm owning my prejudices here. Though it might not be exactly clear from reading the writeup, the intention of the comic is that God is disassociating himself from the game, not for any religious reason, but because the game is, from all accounts, terrible.

I hope I didn't imply that I was talking about you...I just meant in a general sense, people tend to not want to own up to their prejudices...especially religiously based ones. They tend to try and pass it off as "God's Will" instead. I totally agree with the write-up only meaning the game was terrible, and I LOVE the divine voice from above disavowing having anything to do with the game's creation...after all, God gets blamed for way too much already. :)

Woody
January 11th, 2007, 02:07 PM
TuckerB, that's a reasonable question that I'm ridiculously ill equipped to answer.

shanachiba
January 11th, 2007, 02:08 PM
For some reason, seeing the big booming voice in the sky made me flash to Robin Williams and his joke about boob jobs. "Where even God goes 'I didn't make those'." For some reason, I can't get the parallel out of my head.

Personally, if I did a badass job on something and I found it to be the coolest in the world, I'd darned well admit it. "I'd like to thank the people who supported me and allowed me to do the best damn job ever." Certainly would make the Academy Awards shorter. :)

Vision

Katuyah
January 11th, 2007, 02:09 PM
How do you know that god did not use you to get his true message out.
Wow, interesting idea...

Realmreaver
January 11th, 2007, 02:15 PM
It is my belief (and from what I read the belief of many historians) that Islamic and Christian faith serve the same GOD.

When BOTH faiths of one GOD as a whole condems the game? It's damned.
I NEVER seen the two faiths agree on anything and for both to be up against this? Oh boy.....

That being said I too do not support their actions of promoting hate among the faithful. Differences aside, That company is promoting the most hypocritical aspects of faith.

Coffee
January 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I see no blasphemy here Woody. I'm pretty sure God can take a joke. All you have to do is observe human activity for a few minutes for evidence that, if God exists, he most certainly has a sense of humour.

shanachiba
January 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I see no blasphemy here Woody. I'm pretty sure God can take a joke. All you have to do is observe human activity for a few minutes for evidence that, if God exists, he most certainly has a sense of humour.

Ooh! You think that the gods (to cover all faiths, I'm being generic) might see us as their own personal MMORG? It would explain SO much!

Vision

Kage
January 11th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Ooh! You think that the gods (to cover all faiths, I'm being generic) might see us as their own personal MMORG? It would explain SO much!

Vision

Hmm... I am thinking more of a extreme edition of sims.
Imagine the UI of that game :P

DashCat9
January 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I actually enjoyed the books, except for the last one in the original storyline. Eleven books of buildup to Jesus laying the smack down on the Anti-Christ....and it was just...well...anti-climactic. I'm not religious at all, I just found it to be an entertaining story, aside from a horrendous amount of bible thumping. It seemed like every chapter, after book one, someone had to talk about how they found god. Which would have been great for one or two books...maybe...but eleven??

Haven't played the game. Figured it would be horrible.

Furyfire
January 11th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Sheee...

Well, not being religious and all.. I find the comic rather.. good.

That aside.. hopefully enough open minded people are on here to think the same. :)

Jerit
January 11th, 2007, 03:06 PM
The concept of the game brings to mind the ethical and theological ramifications of breaking the copy protection laws against this game.
(IE what would happen if you bittorrented the thing :))

Thrawn
January 11th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Either that, or look at the platypus. ^_^

Da_Dude
January 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I love how when they finally make a game that is Christian baised they get mad.

I think its an interesting idea. That if it had been designed better could have been a good game.

Also, I do think that God, which ever one you worship (I think they are all the same one in the end), has a sence of humor. God is all knowing right and is the ultimate intelligant being, and humor is a sign of intelligance. Thats my logic.

Crissa
January 11th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I think it should be sold bound with this game:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2019677.stm

There's so many terrible games now where you kill all sorts of people. Enough for an entire section at the store for Real Terrorism Simulations.

-Crissa

...On second thought, the Syrian game looks playable and is actually based upon real events and real facts. It doesn't have anti-science, unrelated 'teachings', or any of the edu-violence in this Christian game.

Liiste
January 11th, 2007, 04:01 PM
There was some article floating about a few weeks ago about this game. It stated something about how male characters in the game could be of any profession, but female characters could only be singers or nurses.

Yuck.

Xervai
January 11th, 2007, 05:00 PM
This comic just makes me want to play Spore... Sigh... When will it ever come out.... I must make my giant wheel animal. You know... Something that rolls around like a tumbleweed to get around... (I just hope I can do that of course)

Anyway, good comic Woody. Collective behavior is a scary scary thing and these nutjobs on any spectrum aren't making life entertaining or safe for the rest of us and that game is just downright terrible. People care too much about entertainment these days, I suppose its because we've become unable to protect ourselves and our children from the invasion of bad or violent entertainment. I feel sorry for people that have to get angry over something that is suppose to be (even corny and terrible at best) entertainment. Turn off the TV, take the DVD out of its player, turn the console off, uninstall the game. Never that hard.

Ganny
January 11th, 2007, 05:40 PM
No hate mail from me, Woody. I also don't believe this game will fair very well in a world that is growing more and more anti-religious.

Also, a minor note on perhaps why the game would be causing both Christian and Islam to dislike it so intensly. In the books this game is supposed to be based on, the Anti-Christ goes out of his way to destroy all religion, and gets world wide support for this, and his popularity (At least by those who do not believe in God) goes up by killing any believers through usage of the Guillatine (sp?).

I leave you all with a quote.

"Never believe the faith is similiar to those who declare themselves to be true believers."

Think about it.

Trystan85
January 11th, 2007, 05:42 PM
First thing I wanna say, I'm a long time reader, first time poster....this one made me have to register to post. Woody, your comics were the ones that introduced me to the hilarious world of online comics, well done...well done..

Anywho, on topic, I am not Christian by any means, In fact, I am what they call "Pagan", though I do not like that term....but I actually enjoy that this game was released.... if for NO other reason, you get to play in skirmish mode as the antichrist, now Christian or otherwise (I grew up Christian), gamers, you can't tell me that playing as the army of THE antichrist doesnt at least seem sinfully fun...

Woody
January 11th, 2007, 05:45 PM
The reason both Christian and Islamic organizations disliked the game was because you can kill non-believers and people of different faiths but not other Christians. Hence their comments about it "promoting intolerance and violence against different faiths".

Ganny
January 11th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Ah. Well, that's different. Never mind then.

Woody
January 11th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Yeah, my problem with the idea wasn't that you could kill people with different views than you, but that you couldn't kill people that shared your views. I'm all about open ended decision making.

Redwood Elf
January 11th, 2007, 06:14 PM
The reason both Christian and Islamic organizations disliked the game was because you can kill non-believers and people of different faiths but not other Christians. Hence their comments about it "promoting intolerance and violence against different faiths".

From what I've heard, however (and keep in mind I haven't played the game, but merely seen the creators being interviewed) it is possible to win the game WITHOUT FIRING A SHOT...you are, after all, able to choose to be on the 'good side.'

Woody
January 11th, 2007, 06:35 PM
As a Christian-themed game, I would HOPE you could win without firing a shot.

Syche
January 11th, 2007, 06:59 PM
God can take a joke, he deals em out pretty well too, I mean look at Pee-Wee Herman, and the duck billed Platypus :>

After all, he did create Weed too :>

-Me

Verne
January 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM
woody I dont really find the comic offensive, but I am wondering how you came to the conclusion that the game sucked. Did you actually buy and play it? from what Ive seen there is no demo version to test.

Woody
January 11th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Could you please link me to the post where I said the game "sucked"? Because all I can find is the following:
"by all accounts, a terrible game"
"from all accounts, terrible"

That means every review I've read of the game indicates that it's not worth the plastic it's printed on.

---

Gamespot: 3.4 / 10
1Up: 4.2 / 10
IGN: 5.9 / 10
Gamespy: 2 / 5
XPlay: 2 / 5
Game Revolution: F

bad boy30
January 11th, 2007, 08:28 PM
What? A left behind game? Since when has this been announced.

Anyways I'm a christian and I must say I have a guideline for what games I buy: If they are christian chances are it is bad. If it is cross platform and, for some, has handheld versions it's probably didn't receive that much love. There are exceptions (lego star wars) but it usually applies for most games.

As for Left Behind it self. W/E. I've seen all the movies and really they aren't that good. They lack the funds and conflicts with the bible (a little) stop it from being great. I swear in the third movie one guy falls out of a very tall building. Two things I found wrong with it are: 1.) The glass breaking was computer animated and looked so crappy. 2.) Now that I think about it. The dude who fell was left behind and when he landed, on a car, he lived. The only way to explain it was that God, who is supposedly going to destroy the world and every thing on it with his wrath, saves this dude. Isn't God supposed to be making every human who has turned away from him or left behind suffer? Last problem with this movie is going to be in the 4th one. To kill off all the new christians the antichrist orders the creation of a virus that spreads and kills quickly. The antidote? Wine. Yup, Wine. If it's real wine and nope grape juice then that would mean children who are sick have to drink alcohol. I know Catholics do it and I have no problem with it but the idea of kids drinking to be cured is dumb and I disagree with it.

I know I just ripped on this movie and said I'm a christian but come on! The only thing that holds true for all christians is the bible. If it doesn't agree with the bible then why are these people making a christian movie? (mainly for 2)

As for the comic. If I were God I wouldn't want anything to do with it just because it was a bad game. :P I'm sure God throws a party every time a Muslim is killed. JK! NO REALLY I'M JUST KIDDING!

Fafnir13
January 11th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Hehe, this one made me laugh. I've always tended to avoid the left behind series as well as most other works with biblical basis, even though I'm a practitioner of the faith. They always seem to find some way to annoy me, don't know why or how. Left Behind doesn't sound like a very good basis for a video game anyways. How exactly are you supposed to win when you're going up against the end of the world?

Kryu
January 11th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Well, if people leave their clothes behind when they're taken up....then God must by my rational be a Pastafarian. (http://www.venganza.org/) For every pastafarian KNOWS that heaven is a stripper factory and rivers of beer.

That said....if the game itself sux theres bound to be an adult mod for it to make us all want to be saved.

Oh ya, And I like God's choice of font. He has good taste. =p

demongoat
January 11th, 2007, 09:47 PM
my first reaction to this game was "whats the point?"

its an awful game, ugly, boring and i still wonder why they bothered, its not remotely fun or meaningful at all

hey i thought the idea would be cool, but this thing was a waste of time for the 2 guys who made it in thier basement even

cadekun
January 11th, 2007, 10:26 PM
its an interesting design concept, but with obvious poor implementation

if it wasn't so heavily christian themed or based off a popular series, few people would even know of it

lordwolfy
January 11th, 2007, 11:22 PM
You know guys, I really hope god comes for a visit... And he brings proof that he is actually god...

And I think I might know what he is going to say to all of us...

God: "Hey, guys, you all know that Buddha is laughing at us, dont you? And I had absolutly nothing to do with Left Behind, that cockamamy story was all theirs..."

Then he vanishes again

ronja
January 12th, 2007, 01:05 AM
made me laugh :)

Shadow
January 12th, 2007, 01:13 AM

Vision

Then the god that's playing me sucks at the game :D

I not only think that god(s) disassociated from the game but from all of us a LOOOOOOONG time ago. Being the insufferable & warmongering tools that we are. He(They) moved on to other more lucrative projects :-)

Reddlore
January 12th, 2007, 02:57 AM
They tend to try and pass it off as "God's Will" instead.

For some reason, I read that as "God's Wii".

No, I'm not overly influenced by advertising and the media.

Not at all.

Redd

No, I don't have a signature. Believe me, my handwriting sucks.

briarroot
January 12th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Somehow, it's only to be expected that a game titled "Left Behind" would come across as half-assed . . .

Giftmacher
January 12th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Well this could have been an interesting take on an RTS, but unfortunately it is ill implemented by all accounts. Furthermore, it's based on controversial theology, so I'm not surprised that many Christians don't really think this is a good idea (quite apart from the sectarian/racial undertones of the in game enemy).

Quite apart from all that, I don't see why you should be so defensive about this comic. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, especially on their own web pages ;), and it's not as if you're criticising God here just the woeful efforts of Left Behind games.

Gift.

Somehow, it's only to be expected that a game titled "Left Behind" would come across as half-assed . . .

LOL the funnie! That really cheered up my morning thanks! D

Gift.

Post Merged. Easy Way #17.

Tarnagh
January 12th, 2007, 05:34 AM
When I first heard about this game I was kind of excited. The premise behind it is pretty cool, if they could have figured out a way to do it... better. I've seen the screen shots and read write ups about the game play, and it's kind of too bad... there's not much doubt the game does in fact suck. If they'd taken more time with this, it could have been something decent.

Like I said, the premise is pretty cool. It's kind of like the world is coming to an end, minus zombies, plus demons... or something. Just not enough time and thought went into its development. At least, I hope that's true. I'd really hate to think they MEANT it to look and play the way it reportedly does.

From all accounts, it really is bad enough that God might step in to disassociate Himself from it. Great comic :)

brighteye
January 12th, 2007, 05:36 AM
So Woody, if this is a game God have nothing to do with, how WOULD a game made by God look like?
(my guess is a brainage like game ,but instead of getting points for math problems, you get points for solving moral problems.)

Shardith
January 12th, 2007, 05:44 AM
I would guess any game directly handed down from God would be fully tested with no bugs or broken quests.

Anivair
January 12th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I still want the religious fighting game. Just imagine the fatalities.

That would rock hard. You could have a christian monk wielding an old school rosarie like a chain, a ninja nun (not to mention battle pope).

Then you could do an islamic jihadist and his mortal enemy a non jihadist who smacks him with the koran.

This could sell big. Well, not really, but it would be cool.

The boss at the end could be the enlightned buddha and you beat the game if you realize that the whole thing took place in the mind that you and the buddha share.

That's it. I'm making this.

KagatoAMV
January 12th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I'm waiting for the Hack that lets you play the bad guys.

Ronkedor
January 12th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't fear Gods wrath on account of a little joke. God has an exellent sense of humor, just look at the Duckbilled Platypus.

sparkhazel
January 12th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Well, for those who want to try this game... as far as the demo, you can nab it on fileplanet...

http://www.fileplanet.com/filelist.aspx?s=105483&v=0

I tried it when they first released it for demo (yah, I'm a fan of the books, what can I say), and basically the ratings on the website are spot on.

If I was God, I'd disassociate myself with the game as well.

Ebruin
January 12th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I had something witty to say which involved religeous intolerance, Jack, and cottage cheese, but I figured, Meh. Who cares?

:)

Keairan
January 12th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Anything that comes with the name "Left Behind" has to be no good, seen some of the movies, heard about the books, and I've read the Bible, so I can see that something like this which is nothing close to what is truthfully in the Bible would be doomed to failure. Plus, with all the sectarianism, and divisive elements of true world powers, it doesn't seem like it would work at all. So, funny comic, some even funnier posts, and a too true thread name.

Drawme
January 12th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Actually the game does suck, which is a shame because it has some interesting principles behind it.

Game design-wise, at least, the moral premise of it is utter lunacy. But I wish they had pulled off the conversions and the battle for New York; it could have been fun.

Forgulor
January 12th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I would guess any game directly handed down from God would be fully tested with no bugs or broken quests.
I'd imagine it would also have the elusive "class balance".

Woody
January 12th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Jeff 10:14 - "And the Lord said unto Frank, there is no such thing as class balance."

thedarkmessenger
January 12th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Jeff 10:14 - "And the Lord said unto Frank, there is no such thing as class balance."
lolol! That quote there was as funny as the comic! and so true as well...

olterman
January 13th, 2007, 10:38 AM
As a Christian gamer and an absolute fan of the Left Behind books (but please NEVER SEE THE MOVIE!!!!!! just trust me on this)

Looking at the website it looks like a cool game, but after having seen the movie and how they completely butchered the book, the Christian reputation, the suspense, the ... well you get the point, maybe the game does the same...

From a religious point of view, I don't see why any one would have a problem with a computer game like that, but on the other hand my friend who is a Christian stand up comedian have received emails from other Christians where they say that they are praying and fasting for him to wake up and smell the coffe, so I guess there is always someone who believes whatever you do is bad....

But thats what you get when you go playing with absolute truth (as the major religions all claim to have)

junior
January 13th, 2007, 11:21 AM
My basic rule of thumb is that any game whose claim to fame is that it's linked to a group, religion, or school of philosophy is probably going to be bad. If it were good, then it could be carried on regular store shelves as a regular game with the added bonus of its association.

I haven't read the Left Behind books, which so far as I know are incompatible with my own Christian denomination's views of the Second Coming, but neither have I read a particular series of novels that is set in the history of my own denomination. Nor do I support the movies and directors who are of my religion just because they're of my religion.

That doesn't mean I don't support artists who are of my denomination. There's a good indy movie that I can think of off the top of my head that fits that bill. And there's a well-known sci-fi author that's of the same denomination I am. But that's a good film. And the author in question is acknowledged as a good writer. Their works have a life outside the adherents of my faith.

And that, imo, is the important question when dealing with stories and video games that have ties to a religion.

Maverynthia
January 13th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I think the Syria game is a LOT better than this game. Let's not forget to add America's Army, CounterStrike and all those WWII games to the RTS store since they all have that slant of favoring one side.

I'm just wondering when all these wargames/killing games will become unpopular. :'(

Though I'd rather have a realistic religious war game than a made up fantasy religious war game.

thedarkmessenger
January 14th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I'm just wondering when all these wargames/killing games will become unpopular. :'(

People like war games because of the violence. Mankind, as a whole, LOVES violence, so the day war games become unpopular will probably be the same day humanity ends...or when video games as a whole become unpopular. I doubt it'll really happen during our generation.

Kristin
January 15th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I've read most of the Left Behind books. Originally, the story was great, but then they got way too preachy and that's about where I stopped. From what I've read about the video game, it doesn't appear to follow the message of the books at all. I don't recall any murdering of nonbelievers in the books I read. They did try to convert people but not on a grand scale. The books were more about surviving than converting people. I'm really surprised the authors approved the game at all.