PDA

View Full Version : Not a threat so much as a promise. (1/17)

Woody
January 17th, 2007, 12:11 PM
It would seem that Neversoft Entertainment, the company responsible for Gun and Tony Hawk's Project 8, has been handed the reigns to Guitar Hero III.
Game Daily Biz
The article, cited as source, seems to indicate that the reporter is unclear as to why why Red Octane would move development duties from Harmonix to Neversoft. It's unclear to me how the reporter could miss the obvious, Neversoft is owned by Activision. And with Activision's proclaimations that they would basically milk Guitar Hero for all it's worth, it should come as no suprise that they would use a developer they own rather than having to pay the staff at a studio they do not.

Me? I'm concerned. I do realize that Neversoft has some experience creating reasonably successful games. But, this is Guitar Hero, one of the most popular franchises in the last few years. It has a proven formula for success. A new developer, trying to use a popular title to lauch their dev house out of the quagmire of video game "standard fare", is unlikely to leave well enough alone.

So yeah, nothing personal folks at Neversoft; but, don't screw up on this one huh? We just want new songs maybe a couple of fun new twists in the form of rocker-esque features. It's just a shame we'll be losing Harmonix's database of musical talent.

Example Illustration (http://www.gucomics.com/temp/neversoft1.jpg)

Tegamal
January 17th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Threats from the get-go always get the point across.

Can't hurt, right Woody? ;)

premiereboris
January 17th, 2007, 12:21 PM
let's hope =)

Chin_Sack
January 17th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Ive only played the game a few times at my friends. But it has gotten me hooked.

Heres a question: When was the last time a hot tittle game changed companys. An became better for it? An vice versa.

None really come to mind right now. But I would be fearing what will happen to GHIII...

Edit: lol, just saw the little scetch. An it got me to thinkin a little...

Price of Failure (http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/Chin_Sack/PriceofFailure.jpg)

Always enjoy scetching others posibel demise....though it got me in trouble once in high school lol.

Woody
January 17th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Warhammer Online

13th_Shell
January 17th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I'm definitely afraid. When it comes to something like this, change is a very *bad* thing. I can only pray that they stick with the formula.

Woody
January 17th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Another possibility that I didn't mention for the sake of brevity and to limit my own subconcious directive to follow tangents... is that ActiVision may not be handing over the reigns entirely. They could be splitting duties between Harmonix and Neversoft. This particular scenario seems highly unlikely to me. But it is a possibility, and doesn't change the "promise".

If this possibility proves to be true, I blame GameDaily for not providing a detailed enough piece of news.
[ Your skill at Shifting blame has improved! (107) ]

Vuther
January 17th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I wonder what Woody would do if they screwed it up? :-)

Woody
January 17th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Please see the "example illustration" link at the bottom of the writeup.

magius00
January 17th, 2007, 01:38 PM
i wonder how hard it would be to code up a version of this to work on any song from PC just load up an mp3 you own sample it run it with your controller ...... *runs to the patent office*

kainis
January 17th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I'm a bad person to comment, as I've never played any of the Guitar Hero games, its not really my thing, but from what I hear, playing this game does not remotely, in any fashion, qualify you to play an actual guitar. Because of this fact, transferring an MP3 to this platform would be impossible, because it couldn't possibly understand how to simplify the notes and simulate the rhythm.

I did get into the Dance, Dance Revolution craze a while back, and I can definitely see that it wouldn't be possible to do that by importing music. You can't associate a certain beat with a certain movement, its all situational for the game.

Woody
January 17th, 2007, 02:12 PM
If transferring songs directly from an MP3 to a PC version of the game was next to impossible, it would not be because of any relationship to playing an actual guitar.

If the application could interpret songs well enough to determine tempo, specific notes, and their relevance in a song's note progression, it is feasible that a predetermined database of note to button combinations be used to dynamically translate the imported music. The issue is getting a reasonable interpretation of the mp3 music.

Being that there are tone evaluating videogames, and programs for the PC that can interpret a persons singing to help them learn to sing better, I don't see it as a complete impossibility.

lakoda
January 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM
A grand idea!

Once such a thing is available there is no more sequels...so in order to milk this product such a thing will not come from the GH line of games I'd wager.

Katuyah
January 17th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaah the fear of pain is infinitely worse than pain itself! :D

The imagination can do so many wonderful things to those forced to wait and wonder at the depths that await them should they take a false step... *snicker* MUAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA!!!

Lusitano
January 17th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Example Illustration (http://www.gucomics.com/temp/neversoft1.jpg)

What, just that? You know, after seeing how creative Woody is I would expect something a little more... imaginative. Like ripping out the guts of the guys at Neversoft and use it to strangle them!

Or maybe it's not such a matter of Woody lacking creativity, but rather that I'm just a sadistic psychopath. Yeah, I guess that's the latter…

TheGreatLizard
January 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM
To mess up guitar hero is to commit social suicide. They would have to live in caves devoid of any form of multiplayer video games in hope that nobody would find them and put to action Woody's threatening sketch.

Though I hope it isn't so, Shivers of dread from the thought I might be playing the last good Guitar Hero game run down my spine.

And a better idea of a punishment is to send a guitar mode of human skin with human hair as the strings to their offices (one made of one of their own designers) with a simple note "Without Guitar Hero to rock out, we the fans will find other ways to do it. Try better next time"

Woody
January 17th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Well, there was supposed to be a whole series of violent ends. I've just been busy. Apparently the relative irony of killing them with my "axe" didn't translate as well as I thought it would.

Papasmirk
January 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Didn't I recall seeing that MTV brought Harmonix a couple month ago? It would be weird for them not to develop Guitar Hero III because MTV probably bought them because of Guitar Hero being so popular.

Tashlenar
January 17th, 2007, 03:51 PM
No Freezepop will make me sad.

Elbribon
January 17th, 2007, 04:33 PM
They call the guitar an Axe for a reason.

Tulnavara
January 17th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Warhammer Online

Who originally had the license to Warhammer Online?

Woody
January 17th, 2007, 05:37 PM
It was being developed by a company called Climax and SEGA. The original version of the game was canned shortly after the first comic GU did about it, just over a week before the first Zapper strip appeared. Missed it by |---| that much. But Warhammer Online WAS one of the first games depicted as a zapped fly.

Mythic picked up the license shortly thereafter.

January 17th, 2007, 05:39 PM

I was hoping that Harmonix would be able to leverage the new MTV muscle into getting a good selection of new songs from groups previously unwilling to give up anything for the cause of rock (Zep).

Neversoft, if you do get to do GH3, just remember...

We're getting ready. (http://www.shearerpenn.com/tree/chipper.jpg) e_e

Woody
January 17th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Me too 435. But, at the same time I had my fingers crossed that MTV wouldn't try to smear their VJ's faces and plugs for their dumbass non-music programming all over everything or try to push boybands and pop divas into the set lists.

da'G-ELLO
January 17th, 2007, 06:13 PM

I second that. :\

... er third it.

barrelOfgoblins
January 17th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Me too 435. But, at the same time I had my fingers crossed that MTV wouldn't try to smear their VJ's faces and plugs for their dumbass non-music programming all over everything or try to push boybands and pop divas into the set lists.

I can see it now. Guitar Hero 3!!!! with BRITTNEY SPEARS!!!! JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE!!! RANDOM TEEN POPSTAR!!!!

lordwolfy
January 17th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I can see it now. Guitar Hero 3!!!! with BRITTNEY SPEARS!!!! JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE!!! RANDOM TEEN POPSTAR!!!!

Never take the name of two thirds of the unholy trinity in vain.... If you had mentioned her ex husband in this post, I would have reported that post as improper to Woody.

:rolleyes:

Breandan
January 18th, 2007, 12:59 AM
no Brittney Spears...capice? (http://blackeaglesecurity.net/training/qualification/pistol/range_quals-27Dec06_a.jpg) :D

bwahahaha00
January 18th, 2007, 01:49 AM
adding pop songs to GH would be like having a non sharpened drawing pencil..............pointless
and best hope some desperate employee from there doesn't see this and get ideas if there desperate :(
been know to happen I'm sure in the most competent of company's

Grubsnik
January 18th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Well picking up the license of an already canned game, is not like this case. I'd also like to know of any other succesfull games where a sequal had been done by a different studio, with greater succes. Anyone?

duncan922
January 18th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Let's not forget, these are the people that managed to [screw] up a concept like Gun

Taninriff
January 18th, 2007, 07:41 AM
I had heard MTV bought the rights to produce a game that would use the Guitar Hero controller. It would be their own version of the game though, not another Guitar Hero. I might be wrong though on that.

I rather like Activision so I am not sure if them producing GH3 would be a bad thing. I have a lot of love for that company from the days of the Atari 2600. Any gaming company that can survive for that long is impressive. And even though they may make mistakes from time to time, the amount of games they got right is pretty good.

Its out of our control anyway. Lets just hope they realize the shoes they need to fill for the next game. .

Whytewulf
January 18th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I wonder if a competative product might be created. Depends on the contract, but Neversoft, could be making its own version now or be contracted to do one. Maybe an American Idol version. AHHHHH

surfer99
January 19th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Breandan could you perhaps repost your last link i think whytewulf missed the point >.<

please i beg of you DO NOT give them any ideas /shiver
if this leads to world destruction im holding Whyte and barrelofgoblins responsible