PDA

View Full Version : Spore... continually evolving... to a fault. (1/22)

Woody
January 22nd, 2007, 10:59 AM
Thank goodness for guest strips (http://www.gucomics.com/faq.php#11a). I spent this morning writing a letter to the IRS explaining to them why I don't owe them more money for 2005. Oh IRS how our relationship blossoms.
**makes the universal sign for answering the phone and whispers** Call Me!

Hi Woody,

Well I was a lil bored so I used some time to make a guest strip -
mainly about spore beeing pushed back for the 5th time or so... but
also generally about games beeing pushed back..
It is more a comment to the pushbacks than a real comic - but if you
can use it.. you are welcome.. If not - no problem.. :D

- Mads SJ
Thanks Mads, I can always count on you! (even when the IRS stands me up for dinner)

If you're unfamiliar with Spore, here's a link: http://www.spore.com
And Mads is referring to this info: EA not Spore-ing until late '07 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155511.html)

Siska
January 22nd, 2007, 11:15 AM
Aww it's pushed back?

Well, I suppose it may not be a bad thing. In my little dream world where this could be the perfect game, the only way it could possibly suck is if it has more bugs then features and is so short I will play through it in less then 12 hours.

<puts the pink glasses back on>

TinFoil
January 22nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
Also, Spore might just become the worlds next Duke Nukem.

Mordican
January 22nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
Bummer, that looks like a very fun game to play.

badkittyamy
January 22nd, 2007, 11:43 AM
not very new news but still damn funny. -applauds- I hate waiting for Spore i want it Nowwwwww

DashCat9
January 22nd, 2007, 11:51 AM
Also, Spore might just become the worlds next Duke Nukem.

lmao....

I remember flipping through an old gaming magazine from late 1999, reading "'Duke Nukem: Forever' to run on the new Quake II engine!!!"

Myrsith
January 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM
Hahaha I like their little flash video on their webpage, cute, I wonder if it will slowly evolve into a game like civilization, but the game itself ... evolves through play... that would be... atleast interesting.

Drax99
January 22nd, 2007, 12:46 PM
Ha, i went in to cancel my preorder for Vanguard theother day, since it kills my system (I mean SERIOUSLY killed it, had to reset to previous config 3 times), and the guy at EB tried to talk me into preordering Spore. Glad I declined. I spent it on WoW bling and a pack of cards like the consumer whore I am...

TheGreatLizard
January 22nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
Its one of the few PC games I've been looking forward to. But if taking longer means they will live up to their promises, then I'm all for it.

lordwolfy
January 22nd, 2007, 01:01 PM
LordWolfy crawls up in a ball and starts to sob.... DAMN YOU EA!!!

shamuofxev
January 22nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
Maybe they can bundle it with Duke Nukem Forever ...

Pojodan
January 22nd, 2007, 01:54 PM
You sure some folks from Blizzard aren't working on Spore?

bulldog
January 22nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
This looks like a bloody fantastic game and it's a shame about the long delays - a real shame - I'd rather they delayed it and made everything to the best of thier abilities, rather than it being a massive expansion fest like the Sims.

DemonMage
January 22nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
I hope it's not another Duke =-( To be fair, I think we've seen more substance from Spore than Duke ever did, I mean they even had Robin Williams playing it! =-p

madrain
January 22nd, 2007, 03:47 PM
I'm surprised that anyone's still surprised by this news. Spore is the only game I know that's (hopefully) coming out next year that I want, and I've been scouring news sites weekly for anything regarding the game, even if it's just another demo.

Lusitano
January 22nd, 2007, 04:26 PM
Well... evolution does take a lot of time.

nachtkap
January 22nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
CONSPIRACY !!!!!!!!!!!!!! (always wanted to yell that ;))
the creationists are delaying the game because its full of evolutionist lies that will be used indoctrinate our Youth against the bible and that god created the world.

but now im wondering what could possibly compel those greedy bastards at EA to delay the game =/

</sarcasm>

prettypetalgirl
January 22nd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Ok my single reason for living right now is this game. Its like the best looking game ive ever seen and i dont care how far it gets pushed back, i will have it the day it comes out!

gwor_vaz
January 22nd, 2007, 06:34 PM
My daughter loves the simulation games and has been waiting on this one since the first videos of it came out. I guess it will be Christmas gift rather than a birthday gift now...

KAtsumoto
January 22nd, 2007, 09:45 PM
Nice art, Mads. keep it up

Plomien
January 23rd, 2007, 12:18 AM
I was looking forward to the release of the this ah well.
I still love the E3 clip with Robin Williams playing a demo :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5TXEUiR1Xk

Steelsky
January 23rd, 2007, 12:37 AM
Ah, maybe I can have time to get tired of the 3 games coming out here in Feb. before I have to put my life on hold for Spore.

I'm currently playing Company of Heroes, killing Nazis is fun for the whole family.

In a couple of weeks I'll have UFO: Afterlight which will take up loads of spare time, then Supreme Commander rolls in a week or two later and finally C&C3 in late Feb or early March.

/Steelsky

surfer99
January 23rd, 2007, 02:42 AM
im actually pretty worried, when was the last time you heard of EA allowing a game to be pushed back? o.O i remember them as pushing the game out the door with usually patch 1.2 or 1.3 within days.

So if EA accepts it has to be pushed back it got to have some serious flaws :(

*which is bad because i was actually looking forward to try this game

Daiv
January 23rd, 2007, 03:59 AM
Ok now that game just looks good. With that demonstration from Robin Williams on youtube to back it up. I'm going to be watching out for it! Shame its a long way away :(

Also, didn't know Robin Williams was a gamer :P
Got this from wikipedia.

"Williams is a self-confessed gamer known to enjoy online video games, recently playing Warcraft 3 and World Of Warcraft, Half-Life[7] and the first-person shooter Battlefield 2 as a sniper.[8] In addition, he also plays the tabletop wargame Warhammer 40,000. In an interview for a video game magazine, he stated that Nintendo contacted him once and told him because of his love of video games, if there ever is a live action Pokémon movie made, he would be their first, last and only choice to play Professor Oak.[citation needed] He named his daughter Zelda because his son is a devoted fan of the Legend of Zelda video game series.[citation needed] Williams was even in talks to do a voice for the game Half-Life 2, because he is a big fan of the series. However, scheduling conflicts prevented this.[citation needed]

On January 6 2006 he performed live at Consumer Electronics Show during Google keynote.[9]

In the 2006 E3, on the invitation of Will Wright, he demonstrated the creature editor of Spore while simultaneously commenting on the creature's look: "This will actually make a platypus look good."[10] He also complimented the game's versatility, comparing it to Populous and Black & White."

Edit: 36 minute demonstration of the game: http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=17151
Ranging from Single Cell organisim to Space... and beyond...

Having seen some of the video clips, such as this 39minute long demo http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9169291264358100919 I really can't wait for this game!

Shadow
January 23rd, 2007, 05:17 AM
nah it's a good thing if EA allows a game to be pushed back again and again they are really having a lot of confidence it it's brand name and want to deliver the best game possible as not to dissapoint the fanbase.

This game will be as big as the sims, i'm sure of it (speaking in number of sales that is)

And no i'm not an EA Fanboy, no selfrespecting gamer is :D

oneeye
January 23rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
how many more awards can it win before hitting the zapper pre-release?

sevaric
January 23rd, 2007, 10:31 AM
SPORE lol. cant wait. it looks like a realy interesting change of pace. Nice comic

niveck
January 23rd, 2007, 10:52 AM
this game looks amazing from the videos i've seen.

now, not to be a hater on EA, but they do tend to release games a bit early before full testing is done. OR, they'll have a game go gold and then discover a last minute bug that has to be addressed on release day. ie. Battlefield 2142. they released the 1.01 patch before release day. then they released the 1.05 patch two weeks later.

i just hope they don't keep this trend up. i am a Madden/NCAA Football and Battlefield series fan. I even like playing the Need For Speed and Burnout games when they come out. My wife is a hardcore Sims 1&2 fan. So there is no shortage of EA games in my house. But i do notice a trend when i see patches releasing for their games almost immediately after release day.

So lets all hope that this game doesn't require any considerable bug fixes less than a week after it comes out.......... when it comes out.

Axelos
January 23rd, 2007, 02:17 PM
They gamer sense gave me a dream that it will release near may 5th.

Kilamon
January 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
I'm taking a day or 4 off when Spore is released. :D

Siska
January 23rd, 2007, 07:25 PM
The way it's described other people creations will appear in your game sounds very interesting. I wonder if you approve them beforehand or not. If not I predict this game will be invaded by phalluses in all shapes and sizes (mostly huge) pretty soon.

Oh looky, another creature that looks like a stick with 2 balls attached. What are the odds of these evolving all over the galaxy? ;p

Daiv
January 24th, 2007, 04:16 AM
hehe, I thought that. Until the lead developer said something that'll balance out the ecosystem.
You'll only be given what your ecosystem requires. So you will get (i'm guessing here) one or two of every type. Big predators, big plant eaters (can't spell herbevor sp?), little plant eaters, the bit and small omnivors.
May also get whatever is in between.

I want the game! Gimmie gimmie gimmie :(

Those who can't wait for Spore should have a go at 'Flow' http://intihuatani.usc.edu/cloud/flowing/core.html
Nice little flash game. Its been posted here before but there's a reminder

darkpaw
January 24th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I don't mind the release day patches as there is usually a month or so between gold and release in which testing continues and problems will be found. Releasing something thats buggy to the point of unplayability is pretty much unforgivable though, a game should be 99% complete when it goes gold. Theres always going to be some bugs found afterwards and an early patch to a mostly complete game is a good thing.

As far as delaying Spore, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that call was mostly up to Will Wright himself. He's made EA so much money over the past few years they'd be stupid not to listen to him.

Faile
January 30th, 2007, 07:39 AM
aagh! im SO waiting for this game..

necronomikron
January 30th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Ouch. I was hoping this game would be out quite some time ago. It looks like such a great game - can't wait. The videos for the game are quite mesmerizing, and complex.