PDA

View Full Version : He probably MEANT something else. (2/21)

Woody
February 21st, 2007, 12:01 PM
In an interview with MTV, BioWare (http://www.bioware.com/) CEO, Ray Muzyka, described the story in his company's upcoming XBox 360 exclusive sci-fi action RPG, Mass Effect (http://masseffect.bioware.com/), as being like "Jack Bauer in Space", referring to Kiefer Sutherland's role in the hit Fox series 24 (http://www.fox.com/24/) and the "complex moral choices" he has to make to effectively do his job. Apparently tough choices will need to be made to save the universe.
1Up.Com

I got Mr. Muzyka's point, but it didn't stop the image of Kiefer Sutherland floating in the vast expanses of space, choking, eyes bulging, his gun spinning useless beside him, from popping into my head.

I guess the way he could have avoided the imagery, if he cared, Ray could have said Mass Effect is like "24 in space" we would have gotten the idea and then all I would only see the the numbers 2 and 4 floating in space talking about something trivial... like politics.

Twyll Oathtaker
February 21st, 2007, 12:08 PM
When I saw that comic my mind added the sound Arnold made in Total Recall. Unfortunately noone told my mind you can't make sounds in space.

DashCat9
February 21st, 2007, 12:12 PM
I realize there is the whole issue of a vacuum, but there seems to be a 'Damnit!!' missing from this picture....maybe he could be thinking it as he suffocates?

Awesome comic...of course....I'm a '24' fanatic, so I'm biased.

Gonodil
February 21st, 2007, 12:17 PM
So there will be stereotypical terrorists everywhere you go, killing everyone randomly?

Fun!

Binidj
February 21st, 2007, 12:20 PM
In space no-one can hear you "glahkk"

Katuyah
February 21st, 2007, 12:22 PM
LOL! Twisted minds of the world unite! :D

Giftmacher
February 21st, 2007, 12:25 PM
LOL... That's just silly :P

Gift.

Skweek
February 21st, 2007, 12:40 PM
When I saw that comic my mind added the sound Arnold made in Total Recall. Unfortunately noone told my mind you can't make sounds in space.

Nobody told the production team of Total Recall, either.

Vuther
February 21st, 2007, 01:13 PM
Hehe... Very good, maybe I'll look into this game...

Grimgrock
February 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Perhaps if you set up a perimeter around the space, it would be easier to breathe. Then you could have Chloe refresh some sockets. That should make things much better. :D

wiccalight
February 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM
"24"? dont you mean "23"? everything is connected to "23" unless it's 42. but then isn't 24 just a refection of 42?

Nice comic woody it had me snickering.

thedarkmessenger
February 21st, 2007, 03:15 PM
So there will be stereotypical terrorists everywhere you go, killing everyone randomly?

Fun!
lol. Not much people to kill in space...except maybe aliens. Maybe we'll get to shoot terrorist aliens! XD

jaquio
February 21st, 2007, 03:27 PM
i bet the numbers "24" would float around until they read "42". by the way there is a monkey here to see you about a hamlet script he's working on.

Leviano
February 21st, 2007, 04:23 PM
Hang on, arnt these the guys who made Kotor (knights of the old republic)? if so then there RPG making skills are of the highest standard. I love those games and am still playing them over to this day.

Long live Bioware

DemonMage
February 21st, 2007, 05:18 PM
Bioware did KotOR 1, NWN 1, Jade Empire, and are currently working on Dragon Age, Mass Effect(an XBox 360 exclusive much to my sadness as it sounds awesome), and an unnamed MMORPG.

Crissa
February 21st, 2007, 05:18 PM
Hee.

I like the line about 'Complex Moral Choices'.

The only thing complex about the moral choices in 24 is how many times can the main character violate law and ethical behavior and get away with it.

-Crissa

Pasha_Bigdog
February 21st, 2007, 08:45 PM
Bioware did KotOR 1, NWN 1, Jade Empire, and are currently working on Dragon Age, Mass Effect(an XBox 360 exclusive much to my sadness as it sounds awesome), and an unnamed MMORPG.

They also made Baldur's Gate I & II. Which pretty much means every RPG they make is freaking brilliant :-)

We'iven
February 21st, 2007, 11:42 PM
Nobody told the production team of Total Recall, either.

Actually, he was supposed to be in what little atmosphere is on Mars, which should have been enough to carry sound, though he should have sounded like mickie mouse on helium

And the short story, "We'll Remember It for You Wholesale" was much better than the movie.

Hurricane
February 22nd, 2007, 02:07 AM
I just hope it will be better than the first two season of 24.
It's funny he didn't made a comparison with Battle Star Galactica.

... a 2 and a 4 floating in space ... 42 ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Answer_to_Life,_the_Universe,_and_Everything

B_Delacroix
February 22nd, 2007, 06:17 AM
According to the hitchiker's guide, if you hyperventalate and hold your breath ....

Funny stuff. Actually mass effect looked kind of cool except its xbox only, which isn't cool.

rbabiak
February 22nd, 2007, 08:17 AM
ROFL

As I work on Mass Effect here at Bioware, I laughed my butt off. The same imagery passed through my head a few months back. But sadly I lack the artistic talent to make it more than a chuckle for myself.

BioEvilChris
February 22nd, 2007, 08:33 AM
As a BioWare employee I just had to stop in and say...

BWAA-HAA-HAAAAA!!!!

Thanks for the laugh. This was emailed around the whole office. :D

barasawa
February 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
Just a note, Total Recall did that scene on Mars, definite atmosphere, just not anywhere near Earth air pressure. It was still a funny scene in a sick sort of way. If you want to laugh about sounds in space, look at just about any spaceship battle. (I like to think they have environmental cue simulators in their ships making the noises so they don't have to stare at a dozen sensor panels all the time...)

As to the Jack Bauer in space comment... Until someone mentioned 24 I didn't know what they were talking about. (I'm lousy with names.) Sounds like a lousy reference to me. Although he mostly ran around like a chicken with his head cut off until everything suddenly resolved in the end, I only liked the first season/storyline/24 hours. So that comparison does Not make me think, "Hey, I gotta get that game!".

It seems to me that a lot of CEOs have been saying less that premium things when they talk about the products lately. Maybe they should be banned from talking about their products, and stick to the business instead.

Wertbag
February 25th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Mass Effect looks awesome, any hope of a PC version?