PDA

View Full Version : ps2 problems

thedarkmessenger
March 2nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
A while ago, my ps2's dvd-rom drive broke down and had a hard time loading games. The games with a blue disk instead of the normal grey (such as Okage: Shadow King), DVD's, music Cd's, and PS1 games wouldn't load at all, as well as a few of the other PS2 games. The PS2 games that DID work loaded slower than usual (half an hour to get to the title screen alone). Funny thing is, I got a new dvd-rom drive for christmas last year, but haven't installed it yet, and the PS2 is working fine now! It loads the games at normal speed, I was able to watch Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children, and every game I've bought since then (at least 8 O.O) has worked like the PS2 was bought the day before. I haven't tried music CD's for a while, but I assume they are working fine as well. My question is this: Do Playstation's feel fear or something? Is my PS2 afraid of me opening it? What other explanations are there? Has anything like this happened to you before?

Bejita463
March 5th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Some models of Playstation 2 have a known issue with the laser used to read the discs. I don't know the details behind the malfunction, but if that is the problem with a system it can be sent in for repairs for free. At least, last time I checked the free repairs on the laser were still offered.

I have never heard of the laser start working again on its own though. That is relatively bizarre.

thedarkmessenger
March 13th, 2007, 06:42 PM
I know. That's why I'm wondering if my ps2 is afraid of being opened. At least it works now. Hopefully, it will work until I get the money for a ps3.

Andara Bledin
March 27th, 2007, 12:09 AM
My suspicion is that the laser was out of alignment and somehow managed to get back into alignment. I've seen this happen with my brother's old PS2. At least until the tray motor went out and he smashed the thing in the driveway and left it there for three days... he has anger management issues.

^-.-^