PDA

View Full Version : 300

Tenolein
March 4th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I know it's not out yet, but I wanted the privledge of starting this thread..

I'm going to see it opening night, and will have my personal review posted as soon as I get the chance..

I will say this.. I'm beyond excited. In high school, our mascot was the Spartans, and having 'school spirit', I did some research on them. And with a graphic novel-ish look to this movie loosely based on the Spartans, I'm totally jacked about this film.

I'm looking forward to you're alls previews as well..

Whytewulf
March 5th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I am also looking forward to it. I stopped watching all previews in anticipation of my Friday night experience!

Kallysti
March 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM
BF and I are both looking forward to this. Here's hoping it's on one of the 4 screens at the 1 theater here in town on opening night ;)

Keaolien
March 5th, 2007, 09:47 PM
God's how I cannot wait for this!! I read Frank Miller's graphic novel, and the man is a genious. This movie is going to be amazing. I may even cry. Seriously, a tear or two might pop out.

Tristate0999
March 7th, 2007, 01:10 PM
There was a trialer out, and the sound effects made me cry.

http://www.youtube.com/v/1uEQS8fZMbw here's the trailer from the Cinemax exclusive

The movie still looks beautiful, but the sounds effects...oh why must it sound like someone made them with their mouth :(

Keaolien
March 7th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Y'know, really, the sound effects didnt sound that bad. Swords hitting swords sounded close, same with shields. The dying was pretty good sounding. I think what you mean was the strange roar that you keep hearing. That would be the "slow motion" battle roar thingy from other movies, like Gladiator (during the Germania scene at the start)....just my thoughts though :) Doesn't make me right hehe

Mastik
March 9th, 2007, 08:01 AM
If your interested in the history of this event, the History Channel has a 2 hour documentary that is very informative.

lakoda
March 9th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Aye, I watched the documentary, it was pretty cool...got me all hyped for the movie (it helped the trailer played every commercial break). I can't wait to see this - and finally something worth seeing on an IMAX.

bob the goat
March 9th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I watched the History channel show last night, it was really good. Gonna try and catch it this weekend. My fiance is comming here this weekend. I told her that we should go see it. She asked what it was about. I said "The spartains and swordfights and stuff." She told me to wake her when I got back.

Tristate0999
March 9th, 2007, 10:27 PM
No I'm referring to the blood splatter sound. It just sounds so...so I dunno cartoony. Everything else sounded good though. I'm gonna try and catch it this weekend, but it probably won't happen.

Korkskrew
March 11th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Saw it opening night. Smeckscellent movie. Just smeckscellent.

There were a lot of glaring innaccuracies though, but those are forgivable for entertainment's sake.

bob the goat
March 12th, 2007, 07:52 AM
If you don't know the history of the battle, it is a GREAT movie. If you do know the history it is a good movie.

If I had not just watched the thing on the history channel it would have gotten a 9/10, but I have to give it a 7/10. DEFINATLY a movie to go see at a theater.

I LOVED the persian king. Very well done.

Bejita463
March 12th, 2007, 08:52 AM
There were a few things that bothered me, but for the most part it was good. It was what you would expect from a movie about the Battle of Thermopylae, inaccuracies aside.

Honestly, while there were inaccuracies the movie was actually more accurate than I expected it would be. Usually movies based on books and/or historical events aren't even close.

Cobble
March 12th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I thought it was amazing.

I must have missed the part where it said it was a documentary, because I know that if it doesnt claim to be one who cares about inaccuracies. It was a loose translation anyway. Some people are just too uptight

Keaolien
March 12th, 2007, 01:40 PM
saw this lastnight. I loved every minute of it. very well done to me.

Follun
March 12th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I thought it was a great movie. As for the historical accuracy of it, the movie wasn't made to be historically accurate, but more entertainment with the story of Thermopylae behind it. If you really want to get into the details of the movie, even the fighting styles weren't accurate to the Greeks, they were more Oriental, but they sure as hell looked cool. People need to remember this is an action movie, not a documentary, and watch it for the sake of entertainment, not to compare it to what history books say (which, can also be wrong).

bob the goat
March 12th, 2007, 02:42 PM
hehe. When I told my Fiancé last week that we were going to see it this weekend she said "wake me when you get back." Saturday morning my roommate and I wanted to go see it, because he had to work that night. I woke her up and asked her if she wanted to go. She caved in because I offered to stop for breakfast. After the movie she said she really liked it. I teased "hey, it's over...time to wake up." She said "hey, I really liked this movie. I would have been MUCH more excited if you had told me about the eye candy."

FYI, girls...this movie is 2 hours of shirtless guys that look like they are chiseled out of stone.

Tenolein
March 12th, 2007, 07:23 PM
lawl Bob. Good stuff.

I LOOOVED this flick. I wish I had my DVR cable, I would have DVR'd that documentary you all are talkin' about. Ever since high school, I've always been entrigued with the Spartans, and would have loved to know the accurate history of this particular battle.. or just the Spartans in general.

I definately give this movie 9/10 Easy. The 10th point was lost because it wasn't at least 3 hours long (I was hoping it would've been as long as at least the LotR Trillogy). Eh, oh well.

I'm gonna drag Shanna to see it (I saw it alone Friday night) this comming weekend or something. I don't care, I'm seeing it again at least ONE more time in the theatres.

If you even somewhat entertained the thought of MAYBE thinking about going to see '300'. I have 4 words for you..

GO!

Kallysti
March 12th, 2007, 11:23 PM
That was freakin SWEET. I guess I'm not your typical girl, I liked all the fighting & blood & stuff almost as much as the chiseled abs.... :D

bob the goat
March 13th, 2007, 07:15 AM
The comment that earned my fiance the evil glare was "but honey, if you got me all of those (guys) just think of all the laundry I could wash on them...."

My response "Hey...with me, you can wash the entire load at once."

barrelOfgoblins
March 13th, 2007, 08:43 AM
I liked this movie most of it was accurate but there was parts in the movie that I wish they would have left out. Mostly the nudity scenes, it just seems that every movie like this just throws in boobies whenever it can just kinda upsets me. Then again it did help progress the plot so I dunno I just think they could have done better on that but over all it was an awesome movie. Well it was based off a frank miller graphic novel guess I should have known better.

Cobble
March 13th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I thought the nudity was well done and fit right in. The young girl oracle was awesome and her dress and movements were fluid and graceful. I was more disguested by the disgusting priests which was the whole idea. Beauty and disease conflicting with your eye at once.

The rest of the nudity was tasteful and well placed for the times and the story.

With the amount of violence in the movie, the idea that the small amount nudity was distasteful makes a wonderful statement of the off kilter state of social acceptence.

Zarithar
March 13th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Was it historically innacurate? Yes.

Was it a great movie? Yes.

The end.

:)

Aren31
March 17th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Keep in mind, the movie was based on a Graphic novel, and was based in a comic book fantasy world

It was only loosley based on history, and was one hell of a movie.

I didn't buy into all the hype, but I was interested and since it was the only decent looking movie in the theatre I hadn't seen I went with my GF

It was 100x better then I expected, the story was rich, the cinematography and artistic beauty of the shots were oscar worthy, and the action was impeccable.

All in all a damn fine film.

Just don't get hung up on history, because like I said before, this film had nothing to do with history other than the backdrop of the event, it was all from the imagination of Frank Millar, who as it turns out is 2/2 in making great movies.

Wonder what's next...

Shinma
March 17th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Wonder what's next...

Sin City 2, but that is a separate thread. :)

junior
March 17th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Just don't get hung up on history, because like I said before, this film had nothing to do with history other than the backdrop of the event, it was all from the imagination of Frank Millar, who as it turns out is 2/2 in making great movies.

Actually...

From what I was reading yesterday, some of the more dramatic, seemingly cocky over the top lines from the Greeks in the movie are based on the "official" historical account by Herodotus.

I haven't seen the film myself, though, and probably won't. Bloody violence isn't my thing, even if the rest is the movie is very good.

Whytewulf
March 17th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Just saw it.. Loved it, want to see it again. Even the violence was.. "tasteful?" It was over the top, and so I don't think I noticed it, unlike in Braveheart or Saving Private Ryan. I think the nudity was even ok, as of that time, they weren't always dressed. Anyway.. I liked it better than Sin City and so far one of the better movies I have seen in awhile.

Cobble
March 18th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Just saw it.. Loved it, want to see it again. Even the violence was.. "tasteful?" It was over the top, and so I don't think I noticed it, unlike in Braveheart or Saving Private Ryan. I think the nudity was even ok, as of that time, they weren't always dressed. Anyway.. I liked it better than Sin City and so far one of the better movies I have seen in awhile.

I understand what you are trying to say. I don't think tasteful is the best word but it is over the top enough to make it far less impacting than a movie like Braveheart or saving private ryan which is much more raw.

To me a cartoony exhaggerated blood spray decapitation is far less disturbing than a single gunsot wound to the forehead.

Whytewulf
March 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM
You are right tasteful wasn't what I meant, but it was 1am, so I was struggling for words.. cartoony, comic book like, artful.. hmm.. its 6pm the next day and I still can't do it. Oh well. it was good :)

Erling E.
March 23rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
I am going to see it tonight. I hope there is lots of sex, violence, blood and cursing.

Yes, seriously. I want that in this movie!

Kallysti
March 23rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Well, you'll definately get the first three... I don't recall as there was a lot of cursing, though maybe I just don't notice that kind of thing anymore... unless it's hugely excessive *hide*

Erling E.
March 23rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Okay, just saw it. Fantastic movie and a true visual pleasure. Not much story, but I'm really glad for that as that is not the reason why I wanted to see it. It really makes you want to go out and start exercising, that's for sure. So, tremendous movie -- I just wish there had been more nudity.

Just kidding, just kidding.

Da_Dude
March 23rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
Amazing movie. I can say that it was definatly worth my time and money (I also got to see it in a HD theatre). It is definitly not based on the historical event, but the comic it wa based off of wasn't, so I really can't pin the movie for that. I do think that the sex scene was a bit uncalled for, and the brothel scene could have been cut a little short, but the oracle was done very tastfully and within context.

The fight scenes were amazing and I loved every second of it. The only thing I thought was a bit much was the animals. I mean how in the Hell did they manage to get two elephants and a rhino on some small galley boats is far beyond me. Besides that small detail I defintaly see this movie showing up at the Oscars.

I also love the soundtrack. Tyler Bates did an awesome job.

Erling E.
March 24th, 2007, 06:49 AM
There was a brothel scene? And why was the sex scene uncalled for? He was a soldier about to leave his wife as he was going to war. The people in this movie showed little emotion, and if they took away that scene, I personally think it would undermine the whole "fighting for our women and our country" theme the movie seems to be aiming for. If anything, the sex scene wasn't edgy enough. :-) This was a movie about bodies, big muscles, pretty ladies, passion, sweat, blood -- all that. I think it should have been even more sensual.

I had some 12 year olds or something sitting next to me. They were talking all the way through the movie, but whenever there was a naked woman's breast on the screen, they were dead silent. So the nudity was actually quite useful, as well. ;-)

Koskun
March 25th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Got done watching it for the second time, and recently re-read the Graphic Novel it is based off of.

As has been said before, historically accurate, no, Spartan soldiers actually wore a lot of armor (almost full plate really), and the fight scenes were purposely done wrong so they would look better on the screen.

Miller actually got the idea for the comic after seeing the first 300 movie (The 300 Spartans if I remember the name), and his ability to stylize and put a really neat twist to stories and give it his own flair.

The nudity, well if you have read any Frank Miller comics he isn't afraid of nudity, neither male or female. The love scene between the King and Queen wasn't actually in the novel, and the brothel was expanded (it is like a page and a half in the book), but they did fit in. Really the novel/comic/book that Miller wrote is rather short, 5 books in all, each about 30 pages (with most all of it having the art/story spread across two pages).

All in all I did like it quite a bit, one of my top 10 probably. That's to say it didn't have it's flaws (not the story accuracy am I referring to here), and a few goofs (his arrows in his shield when he breaks them off) but a very stylized and potent bit of film making.

Breandan
March 25th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Speaking as someone who, for reasons that are my own business, has been studying the Battle of Thermopylae, early Spartan tactics (before they became one giant hazing ritual on legs and lost their way), as well as someone who wasn't raised in the bland suck-the-life-and-legend-and-heroism-out-of-everything "culture", I can say the following-

1) It is, despite being Frank Millerized, a helluva lot more accurate than I expected it to be, even more so than some self-proclaimed documentaries I have seen over the years. Ignore the visuals and some of the innacuracies and look at the core fundamental specifics (and yes, many of the lines were taken from the histories of not only Heroditus, but the Persian records as well).

2) This movie does something I have never seen done before, with the possible exception of the Lord of the Rings trilogy (and that still falls short of the mark as it was fantasy)- it tells a tale of legendary history AS legendary history instead of stripping it down to the cold, anylitical skeleton that completely removes the humanity of it. It tells it like a myth of ancient times, as it was told by minstrels and bards throughout Europe until the coming of the current age of anti-Heroism. It tells it the same way a Greek poet would have as he strummed a lyre, only it does it on screen, in visuals, music, and impact. The world needs more heroic legends and inspiration and less soulless analysis.

3) I would be first in line to get Frank Miller to do a graphic novel and movie about the Táin Bó Cúailnge with no reservations whatsoever, because he would do it justice as a legend that is meant to teach and inspire.

Erling E.
March 25th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I did like the fact that the story was told by a narrator. It made it considerably more dramatic and the fact that the story was all about fighting became less obvious because with the narrator, even a guy laying down his shield and spear became something of a story in itself because of the way it was told.

Koskun
March 25th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Oh yea, forgot to mention this, someone asked a page or so ago what was next, and someone said Sin City 2, well that is true, but the latest that I've heard is a sequel to 300. It isn't going to be 301, but Miller will be going to another story of the same type (send him an email Breandan, he might do it :D).

Zarithar
March 27th, 2007, 11:14 AM
2) This movie does something I have never seen done before, with the possible exception of the Lord of the Rings trilogy (and that still falls short of the mark as it was fantasy)- it tells a tale of legendary history AS legendary history instead of stripping it down to the cold, anylitical skeleton that completely removes the humanity of it. It tells it like a myth of ancient times, as it was told by minstrels and bards throughout Europe until the coming of the current age of anti-Heroism. It tells it the same way a Greek poet would have as he strummed a lyre, only it does it on screen, in visuals, music, and impact. The world needs more heroic legends and inspiration and less soulless analysis.

What a great way of putting it. I had some thoughts similar to that... but couldn't voice them as eloquently. :)

As far as a "sequal" to 300... well, there are plenty of stories out there that could be brought to film and comic books. The march of Xenophon and his 10,000 comes to mind.

Erling E.
March 30th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I do think that the sex scene was a bit uncalled for, and the brothel scene could have been cut a little short, but the oracle was done very tastfully and within context.

I just went and saw this movie again, and I just wanted to let you know it was not a brothel but a harem for the Persian king. It is also a very important scene as it focus on the temptation of Ephialtes that eventually leads to the Spartans losing the battle led by Leonidas. So I definitively think it was an important scene to make really "sexy" as you really need to feel why Ephialtes turns to the "dark side".

Seeing this movie again, I just have to say the guy who plays Xerxes is incredibly awesome. His looks combined with that voice is so interesting its hard to not to be completely mesmerized by him. His androgyn nature is very fascinating, I think. He's like half male half woman -- a very feminine appearance and and very feminine clothing, a very male voice and a very male body. He strikes you as the sort of person that could easily talk you into anything if he just stared hard enough at you.

PS: I can't believe the guy playing Xerxes is this guy (http://imdb.com/name/nm0763928/). He looks completely different! That just goes to show the extreme amount of make up they use in this movie.

Pho3nix
April 8th, 2007, 05:27 PM
It was pure epic.

10/10

Daiv
April 9th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Yeah in the film; Xerxies, the God King is a giant of a man (he dwarfs King Leonidas). He's huge! They could not have portraid him any better.
King Leonidas has a very commanding voice which really helps carry the authority of his character.
The display of phisical prowess in this film is awesome, and violent.
The filmatography is truely brilliant. This film looks beutiful. There is a scene where an oracle dances in smoke. It looks as though she starts to wrap the smoke around her as part of her clothing. Very cool.

The lines in this film are just brilliant.
King Leonidas: "... Ready your breakfast and eat hearty. For tonight, we dine in Hell!"
Or;
God King Xerxies: "Cruel Leonidas requires that you stand. I only require, that you kneel" something like that.

Overall, Historical facts aside (this film is based on a Comic. Criticise the comic about historical facts, not the film). I'd reccomend this film.

I'm torn to give it either a 9/10 or a 10/10!

pazzibazi
April 12th, 2007, 02:56 PM
300 is a great movie full of visual effects and graphics which made it different and much better.
Acting was great, director did a wonderful job and chose great actors, and it is based on a true story.

Zarithar
August 6th, 2007, 10:08 AM
It was even better the 2nd time around... picked up the SE DvD! Love this movie. Best of 2007 so far imho.

Breandan
August 6th, 2007, 01:39 PM
As Jennie Breeden phrased it: "Two women have gratuitous nipple-shots, but so do 300 men"

I need coffee...

Tenolein
September 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM
I hart it.

jackrogers
March 23rd, 2013, 05:45 AM
it is one of the best movies of j.butler..and dialogs were great in the movie.