PDA

View Full Version : Take that stupid mosquito! BWONG! (3/5)

Woody
March 5th, 2007, 12:31 PM
If the comic doesn't speak for itself, this weekend was a Double Experience Weekend in Vanguard: Saga of Heroes (http://www.vanguardsoh.com) and I took full advantage it.
VGPlayers

Being a staunch soloer and diplomacy junky, I don't really get many opportunities to pile on experience. But when offered double experience for every kill I tally, it's not really something I can ignore. So, after spending most of Saturday morning securing new diplomacy cards and gear, I set off to gain a level. Through the rest of Saturday and up until Sunday afternoon, I plodded about laying waste to anything that crossed my path and netted me XP. When I finally logged off to watch Bill Mahr, Rome etc. I'd gained 3 levels. Sure it was only to 18, but for me that was significant.

Playing that much in just a couple of days exposed a lot of glitches in the game. Sure, I expected and forgave it, but that doesn't mean I wasn't as frustrated with them as everyone else seems to be.

I find myself in an odd position however. I realize the game had to be released because Sigil was out of development capitol, and that meant release a buggy game or no game at all. (Given the two I strongly support the former.) At the same time though, I'm a gamer and I don't like struggling through something I'm supposed to be using as an escape. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy Vanguard, moreso than any MMOG I've played in a long time. But, there's room for improvement to be sure.

Luckily, the Sigil staff seems to be working really hard to whip the game into shape.

"former" typo corrected, thanks Akherat, Kaev, and RevMrBlack

Rzar
March 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I loved the double xp weekend! However I was only able to go from lvl 4 to lvl 8 with my Dread Knight. At lvl 8 I think I died 6 times in a row. Two deaths were falling off cliffs. Lesson learned, don't blindly follow the red dot on your compass. The other 4 deaths were just bad pulls or not watching for adds. I guess not having to worry about death in [certain other MMOGs] has made me sloppy again.

I guess the bugs are not bothering me. They were MUCH worse in beta and the game was almost unplayable. So when bugs come up now i have that perspective and they don't bother me. To be honest i have not ran into many during live. I have ran into things that I want to see improved, like the Exchange search window. I would love to be able to search for the stat I want. But these are things I am confident that Sigil will fix down the road.

Taninriff
March 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM
The problem with releasing a buggy game is it can doom the game from the start. Anarchy Online was supposed to be a great game and a lot of folks liked the beta. But when the bugs carried over from the beta to the released product, the game died shortly after that. Vanguard will have to work like crazy to fix the bugs. The longer they, the more folks they will lose.

Funny comic though. Raising any sort of weapon skill would be tough if you were just killing flies though.

Woody
March 5th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Maybe so, but my "Awareness" jumped up in no time flat.

Astraad
March 5th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Hehe, I enjoyed the comic :D.

RL kept me away from double xp weekend until Sunday night, but then I went hunting with my Orc Shaman alt and piled on 3 levels, taking him up to 7. Very satisfying!

broggyr
March 5th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Two deaths were falling off cliffs.
Ohh, to fall off a cliff again. It certainly made me cautious of them in EQ, but there is no such thing in SWG (Whaddaya mean, I can't jump over it?!?!)

Ryodanu
March 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Double exp weekend was a blast. Unless you're a crafting addict. I was all happy to go and find a nice area with lots of stuff to kill and whap away.

And then......................

TREES!!! Glorious trees everywhere! YAY I finally found a nice concentration of the barbed timber that has held up my carpentry for so long. I even managed to find 2 thorn timber trees!

So after spending 6 hours cutting down trees I made it from 15 to 16 simply because the ghost wolves kept biting me in the ass while I was trying to cut down more trees. All in all a blast of a weekend. I even got almost 200 barbed timber out of it. Now to make stuff....muwahaha

Jobarra
March 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM
The funny thing for me is that I didn't really feel a strong pull to do any leveling on my adventurer sphere this weekend. I spent maybe 2 hours doing some quests around Themnwar's(sp?) Shield, but that was the limit of my leveling and I don't even think the quest exp was doubled, just the adventure exp. Spent the weekend doing the last few diplo quests for cards(got 40 now) and then harvesting to get my quarry up.

I'm kind of mixed about the double exp weekend. On one hand, I fully understand how some of the glitches have caused people to lose exp without compensation, so it was good that they actually had a chance to 'catch up'. On the other hand, I have been enjoying how challenging the game is in terms of slow, meaningful leveling. I hope this isn't a common occurence. I hear they are thinking of adding a diplomacy and a crafting double exp weekend and I hope they actually do not do this(good thing I'm not on a PVP server, I'm sure I just would have made the kill list for quite a few people :P ). I'll be there to take advantage of it if I feel like partaking in those activities that weekend, but it's all up to what I feel like doing. It's kind of nice to still have a million things that I want to do at once in that game.

zacatac
March 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Everquest I has several "double xp" periods lately. Everyone gets excited about it and grinds away in xp groups.

A lot of the casual players seem to think "Hey, now is a good time to catch up". But it never works that way, quite the oppisite actually.

The power gamers will play 30 hours over the 3-day weekend, while I'll play 3. They will get 100 AAs done, while I'll get 10.

The end result is they get further ahead than ever!

Realmreaver
March 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM
What I do not not understand is if the game is unfinished why leave in broken quests and mobs? I do not know of Vanguard but Burning Crusade expansion did look by far rushed in comparison to the original when it comes to bugs.

They could have taken out bugged quests til they fixed it, as well as mobs and let's not get into the infamous sitting issue with Blood elves that have gave Kudos to Star Wars Galaxies and their inability to simply 'sit' right.

Woody
March 5th, 2007, 12:53 PM
There are so many quests, mobs, eventualities and conditions, it would be nearly impossible to take "broken quests and mobs" out of a game.

mtweldon
March 5th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I played waaaay too much this weekend and I went from lvl 28 to lvl 32. Managed to knock off around 15 quests or so and had a blast. All I heard saturday and sunday in guild chat was "Ding!". From what I hear they are planning on doing a Crafting double exp weekend sometime.. I hope this rumor comes true.

Great comic btw!

Whytewulf
March 5th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I recently stopped playing WoW and will be buying my new PC soon, (depending on if I have a job after tomorrow). And then I will be starting my Vanguard experience. Looking forward to it. Until then, keep find and reporting those bugs so I don't have to. :)

lakoda
March 5th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Woot! It was something like that too. The wife and I gained 5 levels in about 16 hours of playing on Saturday. Something like this is really nice, for reasons besides the extra XP, it gets people out in droves and makes getting a group super easy.

We only found one broken quest and we just moved along - but other then that it wasn't much different then any other day in VG, bug wise (for us).

Kirby04
March 5th, 2007, 01:09 PM
The only issue I have with bug related issues to many of these MMO's is that they have found the fix and will wait a good few weeks to release the whole bundle in a patch. I really wish there was some way for them to convey bug fixes like this more quickly especially if they have already found the solution or the solution is easily doable.

elemer
March 5th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I think though that Zacatec's observation about the speed that double exp weekends expand the rift is on point.

Ryodanu
March 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM
*drool*
double exp crafter weekend
*drool*

Mei
March 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I don't like double exp week/weekends as it's more of a bribe offered to stop griping on the forums and play more.

The above may or may not apply to Vangaurd as a title.

As a player it's great. not only do you loose allot of sleep and isolate yourself from the real world.. but you get the chance to develop new grind friend which may or may not last a game's lifetime. Guild recruiting is at it's peak during these.

I guess in the end.. it's bad.. video gamming is bad.. we should go off and find some title publisher to sue.. Wait.. I can use this as a legal excuse... the game maker made me do it..

it's quite something to see what some people do to take advantage of double exp.

Whytewulf
March 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I don't think Mei is happy about something in regards to gaming??? :)

I always liked Double EXp weekends.. IF and only if they were a special occasion. If they were a regular thing I would not be as happy. I think doiing it early on is a good way of compensating for some of the bug issues previously mentioned.

I also forgot to say, I like it when I accidently ding.. You are out walking or talking then ding.. It happened to me in [other MMOGs]. I was like.. WOO HOO!

Navid
March 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Man I loved it, I got to group with guildies and I even hit lvl 20!

If feels good to know that I did 2 weekends worth!

Dravun
March 5th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Yes, the Double XP weekend was Freaking AWSOME. I wanted to get to level 18 so bad, but I had so much homework to do, and mid-terms to study for it just wasn't in the cards....that is untill sunday night. I logged in around 5pm, got a couple of decent Lyceum Groups together and by 9pm I was halfway through 18.

I'd be flat out lying if I told you these groups were anything but casual. Granted this was my first time to Lyceum, so I had no Idea how good the XP normally was here, but for a while I was wondering if I wasn't getting triple XP LOL. I also enjoy wandering around the world killing mobs and PKing on my own, just having Wolf Form makes it that much more fun.

YAY Druids! Great comic as always Woody.

Anyone else on these forums a PvP player? Anyone playing on Tharridon?

Kirby04
March 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM
How does Vanguard scale when it comes to leveling.

I know one thing I disliked about the whole leveling process in general was during [certain MMOGs] it seemed like it took you ages to level and you typically had to group to even kill a small rat.

Poldar
March 5th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Wife and I took full advantage of Double xp weekend...I went from 18-21 and she went from 17-20...We spent almost all our time doing the quest around Hathor Zi and then settling in CIS. Took a peek inside the Infinium mines OUCH! and found a ship building crafting station in the Anhthor (sp..the Sultans city). We are Thestrians and I was supprised I wasn't KOS to the Dark Elves and such....Gnomes hate me though :(.

Anyone know where I can buy a Camel Mount??

rinerdar
March 5th, 2007, 01:47 PM
It bums me out that i couldnt take advantage of Double Exp Weekend, I was ready on friday, i was going to go from 16 to 20 this weekend, on Saterday morning i woke up feeling like someone turned my head upside down, cracked me with a baseball bat, shoved a bucket of snot down my nose and lit me on fire... and that carried right into Sunday, I still feel crappy today, but much much better

Johaocarl
March 5th, 2007, 01:51 PM
I am a proudy crafter... I just used last weekend for grinding cleric from 13 to 15 (half way to 16). Now I will return to my normal schedule and grind armorsmith from 21 to 50. If they make a crafter double xp weekend I will be happy.

A curious note, I grind killing mosquitoes at Three Rivers... there is a quest there at the missive post for kill some big mosquitoes... I repeated the missive quest a few times, killing mosquitoes.

Geregor Bedstone
Dwarf, Florendyl
DwarvenHolt Guild
cleric 15 / armorsmith 21

Icarus
March 5th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Spent my weeked playing Vanguard. I actually just purchased the game friday night, so I guess I got it at the perfect time. Managed to level up my Dread Knight to 13 in no time flat. Almost to 14, actually.

It's a great game, that's for sure... God, I've never felt so addicted to a game since I got hooked to EverQuest back in elementry/middle. *Laughs* Screw having a social life, I've got mobs to slay! >=D

Woody
March 5th, 2007, 02:59 PM
The end result is they get further ahead than ever!
I'm not exactly sure why comparison to someone else's achievement in game is a requirement. No matter how good you are, or what you do, chances are there is someone out that that does it better faster. It just seems a tad useless to get frustrated over a fact that exists whether there are double xp weekends or not.

Phainein Terra
March 5th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I still refuse to let SOE have my money but I do enjoy hearing things about Vanguard from time to time. I dislike the idea of a double exp weekend though, and I'm not sure why. I suppose it's because I'm very anti-fast-leveling and anything that makes the game go by faster seems like a bad idea to me. I recall being level 16 for like a week in EverQuest and I recall fondly my "hell" levels (I was 30 for like a month lol, pre-Kunark sucked in a good way). I thought those days were great. People enjoyed the level they were more than they concentrated on achieving that impossible max level. Now days it seems everyone's all about grinding towards that max level.

Meat
March 5th, 2007, 03:22 PM
So...is the guy swatting a "bug" an intentional pun into the writeup, or was that unplanned ^_^

Zaran
March 5th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Where I think Vangaurd needs alot of work is the search window and the group bugs. I can't narrow my search down to an area. And if I find someone who wants to join my group (which is difficult because the game doesn't show you if they are in a group or not) , they have to be standing right next to me or it's pot luck to see if they actually get the invite. I've joined groups where I could see what everyone was saying but I didn't have their health bars. I've had it where I've invited someone and it says they are in a group when they aren't. These bugs wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that alot of the quests in the game need a group to do and personally I think if a game is going to require groups then there should be a good grouping system in place or at least make those bugs priority.

thedarkmessenger
March 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I'm not exactly sure why comparison to someone else's achievement in game is a requirement. No matter how good you are, or what you do, chances are there is someone out that that does it better faster. It just seems a tad useless to get frustrated over a fact that exists whether there are double xp weekends or not.
it's an issue if you play on a pvp server, 'cause higher level characters can easily kill yours for any/no reason. I hate killing monsters and then having some random jerkface come and randomly kill me for absolutely no reason at all whatsoever. Double xp weekends are best on non-pvp servers, so you can level up and start getting revenge once you get to max level XD

Woody
March 5th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Doesn't that happen regardless of double xp weekends?

Again, the obsessed gamer will always outlevel the standard gamer.

---

Unintentional Meat, but funny.

Pojodan
March 5th, 2007, 04:27 PM
:(

So you're saying that my first experience in Vanguard was with XP doubled?

Here I thought the leveling was of a decent pace.

Blah, oh well, I'm still liking it, despite the many.. many flaws I'm finding so far.

Ozariig
March 5th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Oh, man! I can't believe I missed double exp weekend! I would have went all-out hardcore on the crafting...

As it turns out, things have been getting hectic now that I've hit level 64 (adventure) in EQ2. One of these days I'll have to come out of the closet and admit I'm not as casual a gamer as I thought :P

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that, given the choice of releasing a buggy game or no game at all, I'd pick the former. The reason for this, as Vanguard amply shows, is that otherwise a lot of great ideas would never come to market. Even if the game tanks after the first year, or never takes off like it maybe should have, at the very least some other games will take inspiration from it and the genre will keep on advancing. Every single game affects the genre in a positive way somehow, like an entry into one of those community-driven storylines. I just hope Vanguard scares the EQ2 devs enough to put player ownable boats back in!

After all, with games as ambitious as they are these days, it's practically impossible to release a 100% bug free game.

Lorilei
March 5th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Removing or changing buggy/unfinished stuff may seem like it should be easy. In reality, it can take quite some time to locate and remove/disable all of the related stuff. Personally, I'd rather they just take X hours to fix something rather than, say, X+70% hours to disable and fix the same thing.

Qikdraw
March 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I think my wife & I played about 25-30 hours this weekend. We both went from 18-21 on our mains, and ran up two alts each to 10 as well.

I have a love/hate relationship with double xp weekends. I started playing MMOs with UO in Dec 97, and in the beginning it was hard to gain skill. So much so that it felt like a major accomplishment to get to 100 skill. (100 was max) I feel that games these days make it too easy to gain skill that there is little real effort. But on the other hand I'll take advantage of the double XP weekends as much as I can.

VG is pretty fun, and I'm having a lot of fun. Probably more because I'm playing with my wife, who hasn't touched The Sims since VG came out. A amjor accomplishment, she even has the new expansion which she pre-ordered and hasn't installed yet. heh

Qikdraw

MediaMogul
March 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM
for all you that remember when theese boys ran eq you know there are no bugs. They are all working as intended .... or they are game features.....

ME: Like WTH!!! I like glitched and fell trough the map!!! buggy *halfling*!

THEM: ahhh..... yeah... you see what happened wasnt a bug... you see ... erhm you fell trough a time displasion vortex created by bertoxx.. Yes thats it... hes a joker that guy.... alll part of the game... these are not the bugs you are looking for... please move along!

Wendingo
March 5th, 2007, 09:53 PM
The game is buggy and there are even some complaints about it and how criminal it is to release it that way in this string, but the original post contained the key fact that I think a lot of people forget about games -- they cost money to make and Sigil was, to be blunt, out of money. When a game, any game, goes over budget there is a danger that your final release will be a late beta rather than a truly finished product. I think it probably pains the dedicated developers more than anything when an unfinished product goes out and get savaged in reviews.

That is not meant to excuse it, it is just recognizing the reality.

kantrip
March 6th, 2007, 12:45 AM
I always hear about 2x Experience weekends like the last 30 minutes of the night. I suck at keeping up with updates and forums.

Gotta love those double xp weekends though.

Slammy
March 6th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Even with all its flaws, I still like Vanguard a lot. I used this week end to finally kick some Achatlan's bums with my guildies and went up to 16 \o/.
I'm also broke ( went from 1G to 20 silver :S ) cause I treated myself with some nice weapons.

Shardith
March 6th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Well, as another serious soloer and Diplomacy junkie, the double XP weekend was a blast. I almost made three levels, and would have if I hadn't died about a dozen times. I "lost" two of my weapons in the process when I asked the altar to move my tombstone, but they mysteriously reappeared when I logged on the next day!

Snoggs
March 6th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Making the point that the bugs exist but the game is still fun... Every mmorpg that hits market has bugs in it, some way worse than others... LineageII *cough* WoW *cough*. Its from release date till about this time (i.e. month and a lil more) that these bugs are finally gonna become a nuisance. At the same time you know you have a good game if you complain about the bugs but at the same time state your enjoyment of the game. Besides most of the bugs that have annoyed us in Vanguard are trivial and don't interrupt game play that bad. Most just require a relog of your char (i.e. Group Bug). Oh, the video mem leak prob but *psht* what MMORPG can honestly say they didn't have that problem at one time or another...and don't even try to rebuttle that or I'll get Toast to smish ya.

Lovin every minute of Vanguard and before I know it I'll be sayin Lovin every year of Vanguard :P

Oh BTW, Vanguard has the best implementation I've seen of a Warrior yet...I actually enjoy playing in Def stance more than I do in Offense stance.. Take that Blizzard...frippin warrior haters.

Snoggz - 20 war on Tharganor

Tallika
March 6th, 2007, 08:29 AM
i didnt even hear about the double xp weekend until my friend logged in sunday evening. but reguardless. we got two lvls. or they will too once they turn in all the quests we completed.

Snoggs
March 6th, 2007, 08:30 AM
What I do not not understand is if the game is unfinished why leave in broken quests and mobs?

The only way they will be able to fix the bug is by people reproducing the error thus they leave the bug in there for us to report... ya its seems shoddy, but the only way devs can fix stuff is for us to keep re-creating the bug enough and *Reporting* it so that they can isolate the problem.

Also all these bugs get prioritized so they prolly already know about most of it but I think they are more focused on getting high end content patched up. Kinda have a feeling double xp weekend on Vanguard was an excuse to push people up to get those bug fixes in the list. That of course...is a hunch.

-----

Great thing about Vanguard, that I see at least...is that I will go through 3 toons and still maybe have seen about 40-50% of what this game has to offer...the world is frippin HUGE. In response...like most other mmorpg's...it goes as fast as you want it to.

lusse
March 6th, 2007, 10:10 AM
I truly loved this comic :) I did 19-24 this weekend and that was only during 2 hours in saturday and 8 in sunday. Pretty amazing for me cause I'm pretty much the casual player and it was a LOOOONG time ago I spent 8 hours in a day playing a game :P

Also, the graphics were explendid on this comic. Dunno if its cause its Vanguard, but it really does look awesome.

GO ORCS!

Woody
March 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Note: the latter/former typo has been corrected. (thanks Akherat, Kaev, and RevMrBlack)

---

Lusse, if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say what seems different is the "Swat!" word bubble. I don't often get to play with text/text bubbles like that.

Knightfall
March 6th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Unfortunately, I was away for the double exp weekend. But I did take my computer and managed to ding 1 level in the little time I was able to play (16 Disciple now).

Just wish I coulda played more, 18 is an important level for discs ;).

bubbanitro
March 6th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Hehe, yes double XP is always awesome. I'm amazed WoW didnt do it a week into the expansion or something... wish this game had a free trial, I really want to try it out.

thedarkmessenger
March 6th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Even the casual gamer will reach max level eventually assuming they don't ever stop playing the game. I will admit, if the casual gamer hits max level, chances are so has the hardcore gamer. So it will still be hard to get revenge, but at least you have a chance...

Salerk
March 6th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Sad thing is Ive found from having it happen to me so many times, is by the time the casual is max level the hardcore have allready started to colect themselfs some nice raid gear and your still behind and unable to get the revenge you so rightly deserve!

one day someone will make an MMO with the prefect system for balance between not only XP for casual/hardcore. but also equipment and that will be a wonderfull day!

Oakleif
March 9th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Second double experience weekend coming this weekend (3/10-3/11).

And... that wasn't the Horizons fly you swatted, was it?