PDA

View Full Version : This space for Rent! (12/5)

Woody
December 5th, 2003, 12:28 AM
I got an email earlier today that outlined the joke you see in the 12/5 strip. It's one of the only times a reader submitted joke has been posted almost owrd for word. That's how funny I thought the idea was. Hell, I even ignored the fact that he said he'd already posted it elsewhere. I couldn't resist that jab.

And the reason I couldn't?

Because SOE's whoring of Lords of Everquest nauseates me.

Players pay their hard earned money to play a game; it should damn well be free of advertising. That splash screen that pops up before you can finishing logging in... should be illegal. If they want to put their advertisements in front of you, they should either allow you to opt out, or, more accurately, you should be receiving SOMETHING for it's placement.

This isn't television, you've already paid for your right to play the game. You've already paid for the software. Just because they own the game doesn't give them the right to pollute your login AND your ingame chat screen with their pimping of other products.

What's next? An "Ad Window" in the UI. Pshhh, I regret having even said that, for fear that it'll be seen as "a good idea".

I think now is the time we use one of the features they porive us in game and /feedback railing against such practices. We simply can't allow them to subject us to this kind of thing.

DarkWyndre
December 5th, 2003, 12:30 AM
*EDIT : Yeah, I do a /feedback EVERY time I see a Systemwide spam, I also do a /petition Can you please tell me how to block the ad spam that keeps popping up? I see a systemwide message and I think it must be a zone going down or something, so I scroll back up in battle, and it's just an ad! I pay to play this game, not watch commercials.

Have yet to get a response from a pet, LOL.

Ciarin
December 5th, 2003, 12:33 AM
can't see it.....

I keep refreshing but it's still the old comic.....

Tadashya
December 5th, 2003, 12:57 AM
prolly hasnt uploaded it yet..

Gnomish
December 5th, 2003, 12:59 AM
Good Job Woody!

Those messages are annoying me too... i was buffin in PoK today, and in the middle of it that stupid PLAY LORDS OF EQ message popped up >_<

Ciarin: click on view previous comic, then click on the link to todays comic, and you'll see it

Shadowdragoon
December 5th, 2003, 01:14 AM
good one. and i like the Vah Shir, nice details.

Grimlok
December 5th, 2003, 01:17 AM
I don't play EQ anymore but I agree that advertising in a game you pay a monthly fee to play is wrong. Just like it's wrong that the show frigging commercials in theaters now. Movie previews i understand but commercials? I just hope this trend doesn't keep growing or before long they'll start pausing your game every so often to show you a commercial for the new games instead of just spamming you with messages.

Ciarin
December 5th, 2003, 01:32 AM
I wonder why I can't see it....

you guys can see it right?

Grimlok
December 5th, 2003, 01:37 AM
I saw it sorta the same way Gnomish described but i went to archives then clicked dec 5 2003. showed up fine.

Ciarin
December 5th, 2003, 01:41 AM
ha! I see it!

cool.

Saethori
December 5th, 2003, 01:43 AM
Indeed.. it's not on the front page yet. To view it, you can click here (http://www.gucomics.com/archives/view.php?cdate=20031205)...

And let it be said that all that has been said thus far in this topic is absolutely true. Advertisements suck.

KiTA
December 5th, 2003, 01:50 AM
prolly hasnt uploaded it yet..

No, it's up there.

Woody Edit: You know better than to directly link GU images, or ANY images for that matter. It's even part of the Easy Ways. If other people can't see it yet, they simply need to be patient and wait.

Easy Way 4. If a link will work, posting an image is not acceptable. That includes, but is certainly not limited to GU images.

WriterChris
December 5th, 2003, 02:06 AM
I couldn't agree with you more Woody.

Quartz
December 5th, 2003, 02:08 AM
ROLFMAO

Perfect :->

Dark Tyger
December 5th, 2003, 02:10 AM
I'm not usually one to gripe loudly about SOE or EQ in general, but:

/feedback I didn't want to buy LOE the first time that window popped up while logging in. I didn't want to buy it after the 10th, when you switched the "buy" button with the "no thanks" button to try to trick me into clicking it by accident. I STILL don't want to buy it after being spammed with GM broadcasts several times a day. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. This spam is only serving to aggrivate players.

Kjan
December 5th, 2003, 02:16 AM
I was thinking of buying LoE when it does eventually come out in the shops so when they displayed their ad I thought 'sure, why not'

to my dismay I could not pre-order LoE nor would I be able to be in the Beta for EQ2 because I live in the UK and the offer only applies to the U.S (and canada)

so I have to put up with the adverts that do not even apply to me as I don't live in the same country as SoE.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Shadowdragoon
December 5th, 2003, 02:19 AM
I hate that the offer is only valid in U.S (and Canada), ive sometimes (boring hours at the office) toyed whit the idea to check if it is dicrimination so legal actions could be taken to get rid of that ad..
*Edit* I have noting aginst SOE, yust their mercanting (SP) department.

Velenka
December 5th, 2003, 02:20 AM
Heee... the look on Vhah's face...

Cantatus
December 5th, 2003, 02:31 AM
Amen.

To be completely honest, I had thought of giving Lords of EverQuest a try. It's not made by Sony, so I had a little more confidence in it, and seeing EverQuest in a new atmosphere without a monthly fee associated was intriguing. Between the beta offer and pop up ad, I quickly was reminded why I don't respect Sony as a company and changed my mind. I'll get WCIII instead.

Kaylen
December 5th, 2003, 02:36 AM
That joke was fantastic. It had me laughing a good long time. I didn't really mind the server select pop-up, but when they started spamming me in game..

Because of these ads, I definitely won't be getting LoE. But they can advertise Champions of Norrath out the wazoo, I'll still probably get that..

KiTA
December 5th, 2003, 02:37 AM
Do you guys who took offense at me calling Sony Moneygrubbing for their "Expansion of the month" style stuff they do understand a bit better where I was coming from?

This is just the latest thing, ya know? What's next, spell effects showing advertisments for the Playstation 2? Goblins dropping SWG advertisment scrolls?

Kaylen
December 5th, 2003, 02:37 AM
Uh.. but, you see, expansions actually add content to the game we're playing. It'd be incredibly amazing if they could make something expansion-worthy monthly.

Jem Rdan
December 5th, 2003, 02:47 AM
I keep wanting to do this...

/petition The Systemwide messages keep spamming me, is there any way you guys can like... knock it off? It's disrupting my gameplay, so it's probably against the PnP.

Oakrunner
December 5th, 2003, 02:47 AM
http://diost.com/images/eq/popup-high.jpg

Jem Rdan
December 5th, 2003, 02:49 AM
rofl -- great pic

Maverix
December 5th, 2003, 02:49 AM
*during a hot and heavy guild war, a GM stops all fighting to make an announcement*
"We briefly wish to interrupt this epic fight with Quarm to remind you that Lords of Everquest comes with a free 30 days of the game you are playing now and an invitation into a new game to where Quarm doesn't exist anymore.."
I can see it now, the Plane of Advertisements.

Great pic Oakrunner :D

Grimlok
December 5th, 2003, 02:53 AM
They'll start showing commercials during zone loading just wait.

Ciarin
December 5th, 2003, 02:54 AM
LMAOIMM

Euphem
December 5th, 2003, 03:08 AM
I'm not usually one to gripe loudly about SOE or EQ in general, but:

/feedback I didn't want to buy LOE the first time that window popped up while logging in. I didn't want to buy it after the 10th, when you switched the "buy" button with the "no thanks" button to try to trick me into clicking it by accident. I STILL don't want to buy it after being spammed with GM broadcasts several times a day. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. This spam is only serving to aggrivate players.

So do you want to buy it or not? I'm not quite clear on this fact...

Dark Tyger
December 5th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Do you guys who took offense at me calling Sony Moneygrubbing for their "Expansion of the month" style stuff they do understand a bit better where I was coming from?

Nope. This isn't even in the same ballpark as them releasing expansions...

Dark Tyger
December 5th, 2003, 03:12 AM
So do you want to buy it or not? I'm not quite clear on this fact...

Heh. I actually decided not to buy it after playing the beta for 15 minutes. It's WC3. This coming from a guy who usually speaks out against gripes of game X ripping off an idea from game Y. LOE felt like WC3 with an EQ overlay and some trivial gameplay tweaks.

John Dyne
December 5th, 2003, 03:13 AM
It could be worse. They could make new characters and bother you like that.

DevBard tells the group, 'You know, I think I'm gonna go buy LoE for the free thirty days onto my subscription, and the chance to get into EQ2 beta. It's such a great offer.'
Cleric tells the group, '??? do u want heal or not?'
DevPaladin tells the group, 'Sure. And while you wait for the cast timer on Complete Heal to go off, why don't you register YOUR copy of Lords of Everquest? You'll get thirty days free AND a chance at EQ2 beta.'
Warrior tells the group, 'omg wth'
DevChanter tells the group, 'I wondered what the hell was going on, too, until I bought Lords of Everquest and received an additonal thirty days to my EQ account! I also get to be in EQ2 beta!'
Shaman has left the group.

Tiladien
December 5th, 2003, 03:18 AM
/feedback I was intending to buy LoE when it was released however I make it a policy to never support spam advertisment, especially on a product I'm paying for.

DocBobo
December 5th, 2003, 03:41 AM
While it aggravates me like hell to click "no thanks" every single time to get to the server selection screen, I sincerely believe those geniuses at SOE have managed to make the game instable with the ad screen. In most cases after I camp out I lose control of the mouse ingame and have to press <esc> to leave the game before I can switch to another character (alt-enter doesn't help either).
Incidentally this all began when the spamming for LoE started.

I think I will take the time to feedback a link on todays comic next time I log in. Hopefully that will show them the error of their ways...yeah sure.

Arcainis
December 5th, 2003, 04:00 AM
I usually am just a lurker, because I normally don't have anything to contribute to the topic. But, I realized something while reading these posts. If Lords of Everquest is such a good game, why have they seemed to become so desperate in their advertising. It seems to me that someone in the management realized that "Hey this game isn't as good as we thought it would be, so let's push it onto as many gamers as we can before they realize that it isn't that great at all."
If a game is good, it will generally sell itself by word of mouth. Sure, you do need to advertise, but a lot of gaming sites will do your advertising for you if your game is good. (ie... Gothic)

Nosferatu
December 5th, 2003, 04:10 AM
I don't mind the advertising. It's an excellent way of getting the word out on your product.

However, there's a point where "No Means No". Once I click NO once, I really don't want to have to do again later. I've been informed, thank you.

That's the only beef I have about it. The spamming. The advertisement, in and of itself, is fine by me.

Foromir
December 5th, 2003, 04:36 AM
this was posted on my guild forums about this stupid pop up on server select if ya wanna get rid of it
go to your eqclient.ini file in your everquest folder

find LoEPopUpLastView=1070191038

Change it to LoEPopUpLastView=9970191038
that should get rid of the server select pop up

Vikingprin
December 5th, 2003, 04:41 AM
Just reminded me of something i was thinking earlier, when i read about how much traffic GU comics get:

With companies trying to get advertisements anywhere they can (I'm waiting for dream ads) how cool is it that this site is all but ad free? Thank you Woody!

Cerrena
December 5th, 2003, 04:51 AM
The thing about the server wide messages that get me is: Even thoses who have already bought the game (which don't include me) get subjected to the spamming.

I agree with all assembled that there is a time and place for advertising and inside a game you're already paying to play is not the place.

DogEye
December 5th, 2003, 05:02 AM
OMG thats funny and true.... nice work on the van shir, glad to see you making kittys for once(just saying it has been awhile since you drew a van shir in the comic) but yeah the pop-up on the screen for the servers is anoying, though the system spam i can ignor, waiting to see on the loading screen have_you_ordered_eq2_yet?_30_free_days_ and_eq2_beta!

Naelaen
December 5th, 2003, 05:55 AM
I have to admit it is a pain in the arse to click no thanks every time you log on (PlanetSide players had a similar gripe when there was a pop up every time you logged on if you wanted to pre-order Core Combat (its first expansion))

When I first played the demo for LoE, played to the first battle with the skellies and thought I cba with this. But I played it again and now I'm giving real thought to buying it. I'm not a big RTS fan but I do like games like Ground Control, Homeworld and C&C Generals. If this game is like WC3, then I'd rather buy this than WC3 simply because I'd have some clue as to what the units do, abilities they perform and the spells they cast :)

Ciarin
December 5th, 2003, 05:56 AM
well, atleast they don't have product placement in the game.

The chickens don't drop cokes and mcdonald's nuggets......not yet anyways.....

Grimlok
December 5th, 2003, 06:02 AM
I can see it now the merchants will start saying "Hi thank you for shopping wal-mart."

Death666
December 5th, 2003, 06:36 AM
I agree that the advertisement is fine - It's a nice way to get to know what's going on. The spam is not. The first time I see the ad, I know what the offer is, and I don't need to see it again. I don't need to see it as a permanent motd, and I don't need to see it broadcast across the servers every half hour. The spam is definately the problem.

FuzzyBear
December 5th, 2003, 07:11 AM
When they first released LoE info, I was very interested in it.
It looked promising and entertaining.

Now?

Now I wouldn't buy it if I got 6 free months of EQ, simply on principle.

Oh, and that pre-order/no thanks button swap?

Downright despicable. Especially for people who just crashed during an adventure.

Please tell your marketing teams that your player base is made up of human beings, not statistics.

We'd like to be treated appropriately.

Thank you.

(--edit: spelling mistake in last phrase. Apparently the onscreen keyboard didn't catch that click)

FuzzyBear
December 5th, 2003, 07:12 AM
(--edit: thank you woody)

Thane
December 5th, 2003, 07:24 AM
I visit here most every morning to check the new comic and it's a Huge thrill for me to have this here. Thanks Woody :)

My main problem with them is not the popup on the login but once I am in the game and playing. It just seems that if you want to create a fantasy environment that was immersive then you shouldn't have the GMs systemwide pimp their products. It's like if I was walking down the street and god spoke to me saying I should check out the sale at Target or something. :wink: (I know it's a bad analogy but you get the point)

Thane, Beastlord of Knights of Zek

Inara
December 5th, 2003, 07:42 AM
No thats a very good Anology. Thats what it is like. SoE is killing their own "immersive world" with every freaking ad spam. Its not as if Sony is hurting for cash or anything, you'd think they wouldn't need to advertise they way they do.

Inara
Semper Questio
Emarr

Lalladil
December 5th, 2003, 08:12 AM
There was a reason I dropped from the LoEQ beta so quick.

The game..ummm..isn't very good (to put it mildly)

Every time I see the spam, I cringe at the memories of this...thing.
I did get a good laugh in the Bazaar after a spamming, though:

(SPAM)
Trader shouts, "I won't buy it! It (stinks)!"
Lalladil shouts, " OH, you beta-tested it too?"
(insert a load of LOL)

I guess you just had to be there. /shrug

Anyhoo, great job, Woody! Good thing I was sipping my coffee at the time! /thumbsup

Gothmatum
December 5th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Good thing I was sipping my coffee at the time!

You have warriors in your workplace? :wink:

I don't mind the first time I see an ad. Sony's a business, after all. But seeing the same ad over and over when I start the game, and THEN having to put up with systemwide spam, really smacks of corporate money-grubbing. We're relatively intelligent people (provided the player in question didn't get their account off Ebay, but that's another rant), and we saw the ad the first time. Let us play the game we already enjoy and we'll get to the other one if and when we feel like it!

/rant off

Love the comic, Woody... keep up the good work!

Naelaen
December 5th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Hehehe :)

Dr.Gonzo
December 5th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Guess I was the only one that sat there going "uhg... should I". I didnt and after visiting some news sites about EQ2 Im not going to. Good thing too, because I know for a fact I would not have even installed LOE, I am completely uninterested.I wanted to beta-test EQ2, but Im starting to not like the look of the characters. I knew it was a crap game and a copy when I heard they were making it. Im with Nosferatu, I dont mind the server pop up (1 time only plz) but not in game.

Hellfire99X
December 5th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Great comic, Woody! I've been playing EverQuest for almost three years now, and this is the WORST advertising campaign I've ever seen them try. I already have a hotkey set up to petition that I'm not interested in LoE, and I push it every time I see one of those systemwide broadcast adverts.

/petition I'm not interested in Lords of EverQuest. No thanks. (This is an automated spam-response to an automated spam-advertisement.)

I haven't seen any real GMs on my server for a few days though... I think they're just letting the guides deal with the player complaints until this ad campaign is over with.

[EDIT]

Regarding that "Ad window" in the in-game UI... if they EVER added that, I would immediately quit.

Aruut
December 5th, 2003, 08:49 AM
I had honestly considered purchasing the game, until I started getting irritated with the add, now they couldn't get me to play that game if they paid me to take it. :twisted:

Maeven
December 5th, 2003, 09:16 AM
I hate the Serverwide SpamÖespecially when you consider they canít even be bothered to do a Serverwide Message in-game as patch time approaches. The last small patch, that was posted on EQ live only 24 hours in advance, a lot of people didnít know there was going to be a patch. Did SOE give a 2 hour warning? A 1 hour warning? EVEN A 5 MINUTE WARNING?

Nope. Servers came down with NO WARNING, people in LdoN dungeons were pissed. The servers were only down for about an hour, but the majority of players had NO IDEA they were coming down, people died, or lost their adventure, it was not pretty in the Chat rooms, let me tell you.

Cerrena
December 5th, 2003, 09:19 AM
I don't know how typical GU readers who post to the forum are of EQ players as a whole. But if we assume they are a reasonable focus group then this ad campain is a miserable failure. Not only have we yet to hear from a single person saying that they've bought LoEQ and are looking forward to reciving it but several people who were thinking of buying it have changed their minds. Maybe if LoEQ tanks as a product, Sony will rethink their this sort of campain.

Jhimaielin
December 5th, 2003, 09:29 AM
They'll start showing commercials during zone loading just wait.

Don't say such things or they'll happen. Since that's an effective idea for really irking people you have there. I mean with how often are they seen. Gah ^^;

Kalthanan
December 5th, 2003, 09:34 AM
I totally and heartily agree with Woody's post.

I /feedback and /petition every time those stupid in-game spams come up.

I don't give the Guide who contacts me a hard time, though, I know they're just volunteers with no real power. But, I do let them know that this frustrates me, and to please submit this in their report.

Xyrra
December 5th, 2003, 09:36 AM
BUY LOE SPAM

*sigh*

/feedback
Hi, very nice of you to care so much about my gaming experiences, but I am not interested in Lords of Warcraft or Worlds of Everquest, or whatever it is you're calling this game. The buzz is disappointing at best, and your continued whoring of the product simply confirms my suspicions that this is indeed a poorly designed game unable to stand on it's own. The jig is up, and you might as well bury all your excess copies of this one out in the desert somewhere. All the advertising in the world isn't going to change my mind.
So please, please, please, please... stop spamming me.

BlackMage
December 5th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Whats LoE

Bisuketto
December 5th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Only thing to make the pimping of Lords compleate is for neon lights being placed in Plane of Knowledge or ever bazaar. Although i guess the neon sign would be well placed in bazaar.

Tolamar
December 5th, 2003, 10:45 AM
What do you really think they were going to balance the classes and return the vision to his rightful place without some repercussions? I may be a rogue but Sony in the evil devious ways has me beat on underhanded tactics.

Cienya
December 5th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Could not agree with you guys more...I /petitioned last night telling them if they didn't stop spamming me I would cancel my EQ account. :lol:

darkpaw
December 5th, 2003, 10:48 AM
I'm another person who was considering buying this until their spam campaign. I will not spend my money on it now.

As with a lot of people I definately don't mind them doing one single ad when I log in that I can say no to and never see it again, but every single time forget about it.

I've been doing /feedback every single time I log in too. I'm paying for 5 accounts total between my family members, I shouldn't have to put up with this crap, no one that is paying anything should.

Shiach_gaidin
December 5th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Lords of Everquest

Ahnah
December 5th, 2003, 10:55 AM
*sigh*
I logging in last night for the first time this week- suddently I am drowning the MotD commercial then shortly ther after the Systemwide Message- which as I was trying to read and ignored my mob- got me killed and lost my level.
Needless to say I logged off. I am seriously considering cancelling my account. I pay to play - not to watch commerials.

Oneiromancer
December 5th, 2003, 11:02 AM
I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned this yet...you can get rid of the server selection screen ad by simply clicking on the "Pre-order LOE" or "Buy LOE" button. All it does is close EQ, and take you to an ordering website which you can then close. You then won't get the popup any more because EQ thinks you bought it already. They aren't going to charge your card directly without getting further permission, so I wouldn't worry about that.

At least, this worked for me, hopefully they didn't change it somehow.

Game on,

The Oneiromancer

BlackMage
December 5th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Heh, as I read this thread, I go down to see the next page, and there is another one. I think SOE has seriously messed up, and I am now glad that I was forced off of EQ before it really started to go down hill, because now I don't feel like playing it anymore. Everytime I think of it now, I think off all the problems it had when I played, and all the problems it still has and all the problems they ADD, and I thank my lucky stars that I left a long time ago.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 5th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Well, I don't play anymore, and this kinda makes me glad. Wonder if Absor is browsing our boards today, and if he is, is he getting a clue how much this is pissing off the customer base? Though even if he does realize how angry its making everyone, you have to wonder if that would have any effect. I.E. Get them to stop the stupid ad-campaign.

I mean, didn't anyone think this ad-campaign through? I find it hard to believe that the marketing brass at EQ didn't realize that this method of advertising would be received much the same as pop-up ads in IE, spam in your email, or a telemarketer just as you're sitting down to dinner.

DaxD
December 5th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Thank you, Woody.

I just can't wait until SOE starts broadcasting audio commercials through the in game MP3 player. Ooh or they could just run audio in each zone in.

I beta'd the game for a couple of days and I agree. Not very revolutionary. I feed back everytime that blasted broadcast message goes off. I am sure by now all those get filtered to the recycling bin. Can you imagine the flood of feedbacks after the broadcast?

Oh and I sent feedback email on this to Sony and in their response email to me they had this nice little gem:

"Don't forget to order your copy of Lords of EverQuest. SOE's first RTS
game based off the popular MMORPG EverQuest! Order now, register LOE
on
your existing EverQuest account and you will receive a free 30 days on
your EverQuest account, along with a invitation to the EQ2 Beta."

-DaxD

Zutan
December 5th, 2003, 11:21 AM
i just logged onto the test server. and to my amazement, there was no Nag screen at the server screen.

Oaga
December 5th, 2003, 12:07 PM
If you are going to put ads up, then reduce the price of the game. But maybe they are. Maybe they would be charging $13.99 a month without the ads (i doubt it, but it's possible).

but it's just like watching a movie. They put ads at the beginning to effectively force you to watch them.

If now when you buy a movie you have to sit through mounds and mounds of ads, and Disney is the worst of them (talk about mad kids who just want to watch the damn movie) My son HATES those ads, and we end up fast forwarding them anyway.

It's part of life now, for good or bad. It's still a funny Panel! Thanks for the laugh Woody.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 5th, 2003, 12:14 PM
There was actually a class action lawsuit about the ads in front of movies thing. Let's see..

Bleh can't find a working link to it just yet. I'll keep looking.

Edit: ok, here's one lawsuit (http://www.savannahnow.com/stories/022503/LOCMovieAds.shtml) about it. And here's another lawsuit (http://www.nomovieads.com/news_article.htm)

Mongo
December 5th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Barooooooga!

/bug I wanted to report a serious bug, there some kind of automatic system spamming advertisements for LoE. At login, I've responded with a 'No Thanks', but I still get the advertisement. Then, my gameplay is interrupted on a regular basis by an automatic gm advertisement. I KNOW Sony would NEVER be so unwise as to spam their BELOVED playerbase with such a repetitive and annoying offer INTENTIONALLY. You might want to fix it asap, before you drive off more customers!

--

While the zone is loading, why not enjoy a cold, refreshing Pepsi!

Tenolein
December 5th, 2003, 12:29 PM
LoL Mongo, I'll try that.. Including the Pepsi line.. =D

Kudane
December 5th, 2003, 12:49 PM
AMEN BROTHER!! pass the wine!

There should be a "don't ask me again" box starting the second time you see that damn ad.

John Dyne
December 5th, 2003, 01:30 PM
I dunno. I beta'd LoE, and it was 'okay'.. but I had no interest and have no interest in buying it.

Plus, I've yet to see one of those serverwide messages, so I guess I can count myself lucky.. I see the MoTD, though, and that window doesn't pop up everytime because I hit enter so fast to get right into my server. (Enter - Login, Enter - Server). *shrug*

It's not right for them to do it, but you shouldn't petition the GMs over it, because they're just volunteers. THEY don't have the power to do serverwide messages.. the admins and devs do. And it's not likely your petition will be escalated to them, since they can tell the guides to just apologize to everyone.

Serresrelic
December 5th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Actually ithe GM's are paid employess and do have the power to do the server wide messages. The guides are volunteers and don't have that power.

But I agree. Petitions are for in game problems only. If you don't like the advertising do a /feedback instead.

Billybobtheranger
December 5th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Yea I /feedback my first time 2 weeks ago about it

shaizan
December 5th, 2003, 01:36 PM
I could not agree with you more, Woody. SOE did a similar thing with PlanetSide. You were asked if you wanted bo buy the new expansion upon every log in, and there was no 'Please, do not ask again' checkbox either. Soon after that Intel Ads were part of the normal log in. They did not, however, spam advertising or GM chat in the game as far as I know.

It is an itneresting thing that EQ is doing it, too. PS, as most know is not doing nearly as well as was expected (and this inspired Woody for one of his strips). So they were hurting for cash and used the intel ad to make up for it. I would have initially thought that EQ and it's itreations would be doing well enought o not merit such base methods of advertising. However, from the folks that beta'd it...it seems it's not a well done production at all.

I still play PS, and like it, and those devs are doing what they can to help that game. For example, they merged the two East and West Coast U.S. servers to get populations back up on each. We will see what happens.

It is dusgusting that they're spaming EQ with their ads. I played EQ for near four years myself. It's a shame they've had to resort to this type of 'product whoring' in the name of money. I know making money is what the game exists for, but like some folks say, where does it end?

Finally, while you're taking a breather after reading my longwinded ramblings, why don't you click on over to the SoE store and pre-order LoE? :D

Raven00x
December 5th, 2003, 01:45 PM
http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=221

Something Awful link, not nessecarily safe for work.

Lowtax on Ads in EQ.

SDReeves
December 5th, 2003, 02:14 PM
This is why I don't play everquest often anymore. I play a roleplaying game, to be immersed in the experience - to feel like I am somewhere, other than real life. The steps EQ has made in the past three years, has taken that away. Now this is pretty much the icing on the cake.....Can you picture it? Say you are reading a good book, perhaps tolkien...What would it do to you if througout the book, the characters will occasionally say something from pop culture, or try to sell you something (ex: Galadrial, after saying something poignant, whips out a small tube and proclaims "mentos, the freshmaker!")?

Its kinda like that for me, concerning everquest.

(Seem to have lost my old account, I was Baruk Khazad).

Kat
December 5th, 2003, 02:25 PM
I don't feel that the initial messages take me away from my game experiance. I don't like to be reminded everytime I zone, but zoning in it's-self is rather distracting from the "fantasy" of being there.

I definately agree that we should not have to see these adds in any form more than once. I don't mind the advertisement of their products, it the insessant nagging I mind.

Woody
December 5th, 2003, 02:32 PM
If you don't take a stand against all of it, you leave room for any of it. Meaning, we need to make sure that they know our boundaries stop at their website and that the game itself is off limits.

If it's not limited in such a way, it will just happen again in the future.

I find it completely unaccetable.

If they want to advertise their products, then it should be limited to their website. Their website, we opt into their marketing simply by visiting.

We should not have to bear advertisements interupting our game exerience. And it's okay on longin, if, after we say no, the ad does not come up again.

Oakrunner
December 5th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Fyi, not my pic :)

A guildie posted it on msg board. I thought it was fitting :p

Imperion
December 5th, 2003, 02:36 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/lordsofeq/review.html

GJ sony, what a pile of crap. I feel bad for the fanbois.

One of my most favorite quotes:
SOE Applicant: Here is my resume.
SOE Interviewer: It's half finished.
SOE Applicant: So are your products.
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.

DocBobo
December 5th, 2003, 03:12 PM
And to my amazement, just as I come home from sports...
the patcher downloads a new txt-file... and the nag-screen is gone! :shock:

Seems like someone at SOE drew the right conclusions from today's comic. :D

Kudane
December 5th, 2003, 04:14 PM
One of my most favorite quotes:
SOE Applicant: Here is my resume.
SOE Interviewer: It's half finished.
SOE Applicant: So are your products.
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.

Sent this to a friend at SOE....

he wrote back.. "I half-giggle"

ROFLMAO!!

Zinj
December 5th, 2003, 04:42 PM
I play EQ already, don't really have time for other games.

Don't particularly care for RTS games anyway. I'll rarely (once in a blue moon with a full lunar eclipse) pull up a stand alone game of Command and Conquer, but almost never get enthralled enough to even finish the game.

I play on TEST about once a week to see what's going on and send in bug reports. SONY considers Legends/Stormhammer players to be more important for testing beta's than the people who actually play on TEST, so my chances are probably better at winning the Powerball lottery than actually getting signed up for EQII beta - unless I'm ignorant enough to PAY to be subjected to poorly debugged code.

Zinj's Prediction: Lord's of Everquest is going to flop. People will play for a few months and then will fade.

Zinj, Fat Grumpy Monk of Norrath
55th Rung on the Ladder of Life, Vazaelle

Dark Tyger
December 5th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Well, C&C probably doesn't grab your interest because, IMO at least, it's not exactly a great RTS. Some people love it, I don't. *shrug*

Eean
December 5th, 2003, 05:18 PM
I am greatly disapointed by the current practice of sending system wide "commercials". That is half the reason I requested an account on this forum. Everyone has already given good reasons why it is unpleasant and should be discontinued.
Woody says take a stand. I agree, but how? Is /feedback enough? I will do that for each ad I see. Maybe a huge response will sway them. Is there another option? I can see Woody's "good ideas" coming soon if we don't do something now.

Pike Tha Blodd
December 5th, 2003, 05:52 PM
god. commercials on cable, at the movies now in my video games, kill me NOW

Hellfire99X
December 5th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Looks like Sony just stepped up their advertising campaign even further...

I launched the EverQuest patcher just moments ago, and it downloaded an updated eqnews.txt file.

The contents?

December 05, 2003
------------------------------

ATTENTION EVERQUEST PLAYERS!

Purchase SOE's recently-released Lords of EverQuest and Get 30 Extra Days of EverQuest PLUS an Invitation to EverQuest II Beta!

Saethori
December 5th, 2003, 06:27 PM
This reminds me of all the news when Legends was coming out...

..wait a second. Legends was only in the patch message and server MOTD. It was never as a pop-up window or Serverwide spam.

I wonder if it's possible to /report a GM for spam?

Serresrelic
December 5th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Hehe. Could the spam'ed server messages be construed as harrasment? Sounds like that's against EULA.. hmmm... ;)

Gnomish
December 5th, 2003, 08:10 PM
EDIT:Just saw HellFire's post... ^_^ but still..

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! WILL IT EVER STOP!!!!

Oneiromancer
December 5th, 2003, 08:59 PM
From what I understand the actual patch that occurred early this morning was to fix some kind of plat duping bug, or some kind of exploit at least. They didn't want to advertise this but they felt they needed to have some kind of text I suppose. Lucky us.

Game on,

The Oneiromancer

Triv
December 5th, 2003, 10:51 PM
/feedback

Green Eggs And Spam:

I am SOE
SOE I am

That SOE-I-am!
I do not like you SOE-I-am!

Do you like
LoE and spam?

I do not like them, SOE-I-am.
I do not like LoE and Spam.

Would you like them
In LDoN? or the Overthere?

I would not like them
in Overthere.
I would not like them anywhere.

I do not like
LoE and spam.
I do not like them, SOE-I-am.

Would you like them when your Banking?
Would you like them while your Tanking?

I would not could not
order LoE
I do not want it SOE!

Would you like a login Pop-up?
Would you like them all non stop?

I do not want it SOE
NOW STOP YOUR SPAM AND LEAVE ME BE!!

Kat
December 5th, 2003, 10:59 PM
LOLFR - Triv that was very good!

LOLFR - Laugh out loud for real!

Nemishan
December 5th, 2003, 11:08 PM
OMG! that is most excellent!

SacredWolfPack
December 5th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Im just waiting for billboards to pop up in norrath and also getting a "secret letter" telling me that i should get lords of eq.

Saethori
December 5th, 2003, 11:12 PM
That is very funny, hehe...

Coffee
December 6th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Phew! Late arrival chipping in my 2cp worth.
Wonderful comic. And the kitty looks like my bard, I think it's the same bp even.
Judging by the length of this thread the comic has touched a nerve and hopefully will help get something done about it. I don't play any longer but I'll stand with you guys on this one.
And thanks for the laughs. Needed a few after today.

Satarus
December 6th, 2003, 12:36 AM
that was pretty funny triv

Nosferatu
December 6th, 2003, 01:39 AM
The quick patch early 12/5 was to fix an npc that was acting as an Banker ATM and would exchange copper/silver/gold for plat. Except it was exchanging too much.

/feedback is enough. Absor has stated that they read every /feedback sent, and give it attention (I'm sure they ignore the leet speak crap) when necessary.

If you do this, you are taking enough of a stand. The only other acceptable recourse that I could think of would be an e-mail written as grammatically correct as possible and in a calm manner.

Dark Tyger
December 6th, 2003, 03:05 AM
While I agree with you, Nos, for a lot of people, "Absor says" isn't enough. A lot of people are obsessed with the idea that every word that comes out of SOE is a lie or something...

Dolby
December 6th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Wonder if AOL is head of their advertising department. I think AOL was the first to show advertisements to its paying customers upon login.

Once every year I go to Florida and I have to use an AOL connection to grab my mail. I always get a message from AOL asking me to buy a wonderful new toenail clipper or some junk when I login.

Another example would be the commercials added to movies now and even DVD's (OT: commercials you canít skip on DVD's will only make copying them and removing the ads with software even more appealing).

I agree people need to voice there opinions loudly that they donít like it.

Ciarin
December 6th, 2003, 05:00 AM
I don't like spam, and I don't like commercials.

But I know they are necessary evils if we don't want to pay higher prices for things.

I'm just glad DAoC doesn't do that, but I wonder how much cheaper it would be if they did.

It's like, I pay $20 a month for my host server. When I used Geocities, it was free. I probably could've saved a couple half a grand by now if I would've just dealt with the ads.

Of course, I wouldn't have been able to have as much storage space, and perl, cgi, etc........

Min the Druid
December 6th, 2003, 05:23 AM
SOE spammed that LoE advertisement in the middle of our raid on Terris Thule the other night. Several people stopped to see what it was, thinking the zone was coming down or something important was going on, and people died who shouldn't have. It's messing with my in-game experience, and that's just wrong. I'm going to /feedback it every time it comes up again.

Also, I think it was Raven who had posted how to remove the popup at login. That worked for me yesterday, but I haven't logged on since they changed the window, so I'm not sure if that fix still works. Still, it was a nice one day of partial relief. Thanks Raven.

Dubheasa
December 6th, 2003, 06:35 AM
When Trials of Atlantis was coming out, Mythic incorporated advertisment into the game. In the biggest city of each realm, they had a special "crier" announce that someone was going to make an important anouncement and that everyone should gather around. The "someone" then started to talk about ToA and the "new race" we would encounter (the new player races) and would show an image of the race appropriate to the realm you were in. Only good thing was that you could walk away and didn't have to stand around in town to hear the pitch. Shameless, isn't it?

Kaylen
December 6th, 2003, 07:25 AM
That actually sounds pretty interesting, especially if it's as in-character as I'm inferring - and they weren't spamming everyone on every server with it.

Kaerou
December 6th, 2003, 11:44 AM
lol, little late but awesome comic Woody and the guy who suggested it.. i was laughing a long time! =)

first it was when we logged in.. then it was the popup thing.. then it was when le logge din and serverwide every hour.. then every 30 mins.. now its when we logout too! >_<

argonak
December 6th, 2003, 02:27 PM
That actually sounds pretty interesting, especially if it's as in-character as I'm inferring - and they weren't spamming everyone on every server with it.

It was quite tastefully done and tottally in character, at least the midgard one was (only one i saw). Noone really spends much time in the capital though, so it can't really count as spam.

In the midgard one, one of the Jarl's calls a whole bunch of NPCs who come walking up to him, then he talks a bunch, then he summons a ghostly version of the new race and tells folks about him. Then the NPCs all wander off chattering to eachother.

Cynic
December 6th, 2003, 03:07 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!

Wanna know what I find more sad/funny than the EQ spam?

It's that I remember Woody predicting this back when he did a comic concerning PlanetSide. It had a guy in MAX armor (I think MAX, going from memory here) who had something like "For Rent" or "Space for Rent" painted onto his back.

Not long after that comic, SOE started advertising the Pent 4 on the login/load screens and such for PS. Then, apparently they started advertising the expansion in a worse way. (Wasn't there for the expansion advertising, so can't say how they did it)

Woody
December 6th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Coray from Mobhunter, wrote up an article on the evil SOE advertising campaign for LOE and commented on the game's quality.

You should go have a read (http://www.mobhunter.com/article.jsp?articleid=-25533697).

Saethori
December 6th, 2003, 05:39 PM
That article couldn't be more true.

Luckily for all of us, Gamespy has merged with IGN, so while there still is no official confirmation on if god exists, we can now finally say without a doubt that satan does.

Dark Tyger
December 6th, 2003, 06:30 PM
That article couldn't be more true.

Luckily for all of us, Gamespy has merged with IGN, so while there still is no official confirmation on if god exists, we can now finally say without a doubt that satan does.

As if Jerry Falwell wasn't proof enough that satan exists. ;)

Kaerou
December 6th, 2003, 07:21 PM
havent seen one spam message all today on FV =)

still the popup tho, sigh

Frodric
December 7th, 2003, 01:34 AM
I got a good laugh out of the Penny Arcade strip on the IGN thing. I haven't seen these pop ups and such but I was playing planetside when they started the splash screen stuff and then disabled your click through ability. That really cheesed people off.

TalonNYC
December 7th, 2003, 10:13 AM
GRRR!

I've already BOUGHT Lords of Everquest, and I registered online, and I STILL get the spam.

At least with some previous crap the spam went away when you actually bought the thing they were advertising.

{edit} I still get the popup add, I realize there's no way to stop the in-game spam {/edit}

BTW, LoE = Warcraft III with EQ characters. Normally I wouldn't make such comparisons, but LoE REALLY looks and feels and plays like they replaced the characters in Warcraft but kept the exact same game engine and other details.

/rant off

KiTA
December 7th, 2003, 12:52 PM
BTW, LoE = Warcraft III with EQ characters. Normally I wouldn't make such comparisons, but LoE REALLY looks and feels and plays like they replaced the characters in Warcraft but kept the exact same game engine and other details.

/rant off

But is it fun? That's the thing I'm interested in, not "It's Warcraft 3, only not."

Hellfire99X
December 7th, 2003, 01:23 PM
According to the reviews I've seen, the storyline is really bland... there are three factions in the game. One of them is looking for a missing leader, one of them is engaged in a civil war, and the other is fighting off the expanse of another... or something to that effect.

The only interesting thing, according to the reviews, is that the storylines and campaigns all intertwine... but they say it would, of course, be more interesting if the storylines were actually interesting to begin with. :p

Gamespot Review (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/lordsofeq/review.html) -- Rated LoE at a 5.5 out of 10 (mediocre)
Gamespy Review (http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/december03/lordsofeqpc/) -- Rated LoE at 2 stars out of 5 (fair?)

TalonNYC
December 7th, 2003, 02:31 PM
It is fun to play, but only if you like real-time strategy games. There really is no role-play involved at all.

So if you like RTS, and like EverQuest, it's fun. If not, you will most likely get bored in 10 minutes or so.

BTW, the cheat codes that are on the various sites don't seem to work, just FYI.

Eean
December 10th, 2003, 04:40 PM
I have definately noticed a decrease in the ad spam in the last 5 days since my earlier post. Honestly, I have not seen any serverwide messages since then. ( I play on Terris Thule )