PDA

View Full Version : Getting the best out of VG under Vista

Zediker
March 9th, 2007, 07:27 AM
This is a compilation of my knowledge of tweaks in the hope that some of these will help those still having performance problems getting a smoother gaming experience.

-=Video Cards=-
-ATI: if you have a decent one, great, your ready to go under vista. Any performance issues will probably be due to other causes, or perhaps you might want a more powerful card. The X1900 series is very good from what I hear.

-Nvidia: Dont expect much at this point, while the beta 101.41 drivers help, there is still a significant difference between Vista performance and XP performance. Cards affected: ALL.

-=Memory=-
I Strongly reccomend more than 2GB of memory when running VG under vista. If you can, run the 64bit version of Vista, you will be able to utilize more than 3GB of memory, which is the limit under the 32bit version. 4GB seems to be a good sweet spot.

-=HD settup=-
-Pagefile: This ties into memory a bit, when it comes to virtual memory and the page-file. If you can, keep Vanguard installed on a drive other than the one vista is using for the pagefile. Alternatively, you can set which drive the pagefile is on. Why is this important? Vanguard has 17GB of resources, and they all (not at the same time of course) have to be loaded from the hard drive when you play. This means VG will be doing ALOT of HD access from time to time (the studder when you hit an urban area, or encounter other players). Vista also uses that pagefile as well, and it is usualy 1.5x the current size of your RAM. So everything that Vista cannot fit on your ram, goes to the pagefile. Essentially, it boils down to increased HD access and this WILL degrade your performance. More ram helps with this problem, as well as making sure vanguard and the pagefile are not on the same hard drive.

-Defrag/Data positioning: when it comes to defragging, windows built in defragger is not the best at the job. Instead use a utility like DiskKeeper or PerfectDisk. They will move the most often used data to the outer edges of the harddrive and this WILL increase HD performance, droping it by several milliseconds (a lifetime in computer time) to around 2+ ms for a 7500rpm drive.

-=vgclient.ini Tweaks=-
BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES MAKE A BACKUP OF THE VGCLIENT.INI FILE
(side note: vista will no let you save mods to the file itself while it is in that directory unless you give access to the file to do so. Additionally, you can copy the file into the /bin directory and overwrite it.)
There are several sections under here that may or may not help. I'll list what I can remember:

Under [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]:
-UsePrecaching=True
-DisableMultiGPUOpt=True (if you are not using SLI or Crossfire, otherwise leave it alone)

Under [Engine.NullRenderDevice]:
-UsePrecaching=True

There are a couple other settings in the vgclient.ini you may wish to play with, like under the [ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem] if you use the OpenAL.dll fix described in the next section. Things like enabling EAX and 3d Sound should enhance the experience and possibly the performance as well

-=Sound=-
Microsoft decided to re-do how sound workds under vista. This is both a good and bad thing.

Good Thing: Sound cannot crash the kernel anymore.
Bad Thing: All your soundcards are almost useless now.

What do you do? If you have onboard sound from Realtek (AC97 chipsets), well, your stuck with the software setting. Which means, sound will always be a performance issue until realtek comes up with a useful solution. If you cant deal with it, just turn the sound off in the settings, and you will get an instant 5-15fps boost.
If you have a Creative Audigy or Soundblaster X-Fi card, there is a way to use them, and that is called OpenAL. On the support forums at www.vgplayers.com there is a thread with a guide on how to get this working, as well as a link to the working OpenAL.dll file. REMEMBER: when you swap out the dll files, do it AFTER the patcher has run and BEFORE you hit the play button to launch the game. You will have to do this each and every time you play the game, so if you want sound, you will have to deal with it for now until the developers update their OpenAL.dll file. Additionally, the first time you run, it will not be in effect, you will need to select the soundcard from the audio menu and then shut the game down and restart the game. Again replace the OpenAL.dll (the patcher will overwrite it) to see the changes.

-=sysconfig.ini=-
BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES MAKE A BACKUP OF THE SYSCONFIG.INI FILE.
WARNING: MODIFYING THIS FILE COULD CAUSE VANGUARD TO CRASH HARD AND CAUSE VISTA TO REBOOT DUE TO MEMORY ALLOCATION CONFLICTS.
I am only putting this here because others have said it has helped. I unfortunatly experience the hard crash/reboot after about 10-20 minutes if i modify this setting. Change it at your own risk. With that said, here is something you can try to modify to see if it gives you some smoother performance:

There is a setting in the sysconfig.ini called CacheSizeMegs. By default it is set to 32 (as in 32MB) Some have noted improved performance by setting this higher to settings like 128, 256, or even 512.

With all that said, I hope some of these can help your playing experience.

-Zediker

oops forgot a useful vgclient.ini addition

Under[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]:
-DisableShaderModel3=False (only set to False if you KNOW your card can support Shader Model 3)

*UPDATE*

The system crashing with the sysconfig.ini might be an misnomer on my part. If i've traced the cause, it is not due to settings in this file. It is actualy due to a vista feature called Shadow Copies which are part of the restore point feature in vista. If you are experiencing system crashes that mention paging errors, this may be the culprit. You should be able to stop this from occuring if you turn off your automatic restore point feature. Only do this if the error itself mentions Shadow Copies being a possible cause for your crash. Anyway, good luck with Vanguard in Vista.

-Zediker

Posts merged, Easy Way #17

Mooz
March 22nd, 2007, 02:34 PM
-=Memory=-
I Strongly reccomend more than 2GB of memory when running VG under vista. If you can, run the 64bit version of Vista, you will be able to utilize more than 3GB of memory, which is the limit under the 32bit version. 4GB seems to be a good sweet spot.

That isn't accurate. 32 bit Vista has a 4gig limit on all versions except Vista Starter (1gig limit). 64 bit has a 128gig limit for all versions except Vista Home Premium (8gig) and Vista Home Basic (4gig).

bigdogchris
March 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
That isn't accurate. 32 bit Vista has a 4gig limit on all versions except Vista Starter (1gig limit). 64 bit has a 128gig limit for all versions except Vista Home Premium (8gig) and Vista Home Basic (4gig).I also have read that vista 32-bit is capable of 4gb of ram out of the box.