PDA

View Full Version : Boy Racer...

Ormin
March 19th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Found this that may interest you...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6457353.stm

Darkov
March 19th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Interesting.. though I'm pretty sure boy racers have been around long before racing games ;)

I know from my experience though that boy racers and racing game players tend to be one and the same, wouldn't care to say whether the games have increased the number of boy racers though.

Erling E.
March 19th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I'm going for a Stunt Bonus every time I go to the store, now.

Larington
March 19th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Anyone seen a race car thats driven using a keyboard or joystick instead of a, yaknow... Wheel?

I don't.

Besides, anyone with half a brain will A) Read the disclaimer about how stupid it is to drive down a road at 200 K/MPH and B) find out just how stupid it is to do that by playing said game.

Well, heres hoping anyway.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the people on the road who haven't passed their test yet, don't have a valid driving licence, or killed someone & got banned but is back on the road anyway, etc. etc.

Andara Bledin
March 19th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I can say, with absolute certainty, that extended playing of video racing games will affect how a person drives; it's happened to me. The game I had been playing was at an arcade and it was one of those where you bump the other cars off the road as you pass them. However, I not only did not bump any other cars, but I didn't race people any more than I always have, either.

One thing that I find interesting is that they had the participants play racing games (a directly competitive endeavor) and others play football. I would suggest that having others play something such as an FSP or fighting game would give more specific results. And then, to test the participants, they had them do a driving simulator... basically, another game.

It is quite possible that the reduction in response time for those who had been playing racing games was due to fatigue generated by the games they had been playing prior to the driving simulator.

It's a good study, just poorly done.

^-.-^