PDA

View Full Version : Lessons un-Learned (3/27)

Woody
March 27th, 2007, 01:18 PM
The Sigil Staff have been work hard to fix all the bugs in Vanguard. It seem like there's a patch every time I log on. But there is one issue that makes me slap my head and ask "how did they miss that"?

After so many years of having to buy stuff in everquest one at a time, the fact that we have to repair one item at a time is not lost on me (or about 15 people in general chat each day).

I guess this could be another way to make Vanguard have that "old school MMOG" feel. I mean frustration breeds a sense of nostalgia, right?

[Thanks Malkavian for sending in the joke idea.]

Tsarmina
March 27th, 2007, 01:23 PM
One piece at a time? Heh, now I wonder if one could make a onesie suit of armor? :P

YuriPup
March 27th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Funny and I love that it hearkens back to the Honey Mead strips of way, way back.

Saroc_Luclin
March 27th, 2007, 01:30 PM
LOL, I still remember (and love) the 2-3 EQ Comics you made back in the day when they finally made it so you could first sell stacks and then buy stacks... Or was it the other way around? :)

Then again, even EQII (untouched by Sigil folk) didn't have a Repair All button until a few months in; and it is still being tweeked. (Think it's finally in a 'final' state now though). Seems like the "All" option is one Developers in general don't think of/don't get to until later on in the process, sometimes even after release.

*Edit* Found the comics. The first one when they made it so you could sell a stack but can't buy a stack, and the follow up when you could buy and sell stacks.

Narreneth
March 27th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Haha! Wow, total EQ flashbacks. I played Vanguard in the Beta, but my computer has undergone a few downgrades (as my old parts were hit by a power surge) so I am not able to get the release version of Vanguard.

:-(

Poldar
March 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM
instant Flashbacks to the Honey Meads!! haha

YuriPup
March 27th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Saroc

You missed Honey Mead III (http://www.gucomics.com/archives/view.php?cdate=20010420), which is probably the funniest of the bunch.

Eriol
March 27th, 2007, 01:43 PM
It's probably to wring more copper out of you at the beginning of the game, since it's almost-certainly fractional coppers for each piece, rounded up, and thus if they added the fractions, it would still be like 1cp for your whole set.

But maybe I just too easily think the worst.

Andara Bledin
March 27th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Yup, definite Honey Mead flashbacks!

I've always wondered about games that have some tedious repetetive function that don't also include a "do all at once" option.

^-.-^

Woody
March 27th, 2007, 01:54 PM
And that's why the Comic's title is "The New Honey Mead", the girl is dark skinned, wearing fuschia robes, and the merchant has a grey beard.

Saroc_Luclin
March 27th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Saroc

You missed Honey Mead III (http://www.gucomics.com/archives/view.php?cdate=20010420), which is probably the funniest of the bunch.

Hehe actually I'd missed the first one not the third. Honey Mead I

Think that's all of them. :)

And if I'd been more awake I'd probably have noticed the title of the Vanguard comic and the link.

TheCreepier
March 27th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Well, you know the minute they do put in a "repair all" button, people will raise hell. "OMG I wasnt paying attention and I spent al lof my money by hitting that button that says repair all!!!

But at least that will be a temporary issue. I do think they need to improve the page system, to allow you to sort and select the type of gear to repair... ie adventuring, crating and so on...

Woller
March 27th, 2007, 02:12 PM
OMG i love that instant flashback to Honey mead comics :D

ShadowWolf81
March 27th, 2007, 02:14 PM
And that's why the Comic's title is "The New Honey Mead", the girl is dark skinned, wearing fuschia robes, and the merchant has a grey beard.

Not to be a complete dork..... but just where do you see the 'titles' to each commic at? :rolleyes:

The_Raven's_Crux
March 27th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Go to the Archives. Underneath the calendar, there is information about the comic, including subject, title, and a link to the comic discussion.

Knightfall
March 27th, 2007, 02:30 PM
LOL. I love it.

Love the hommage to the old 'honey mead' comics, got it right away.

worlann
March 27th, 2007, 03:01 PM
That was good, I caught the reference right away. I'm not sure if it will be an issue much longer though, as Brad mentioned not liking the repair function and that they might just toss it out.

Katuyah
March 27th, 2007, 03:23 PM
LOL! Too funny! :) Makes me appreciate the "Repair All" button in EQ2.

Pebble
March 27th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Maybe repairing things one at a time was a way to make the game realistic... I mean really? Does it make sense that the repairman could fix those things as fast as you click through the menus?

LucidApathy
March 27th, 2007, 03:42 PM
And that's why the Comic's title is "The New Honey Mead",

I've been reading the comics and threads for a number of years now and never knew there was a comic title. Where is that found?

$tormin
March 27th, 2007, 03:54 PM
If there are a limited number of allowable repairs to items, it make sense to have to repair them one at a time, so you are not wasting durability on equipment that isn't badly enough worn out to warrent the fixing.

Woody
March 27th, 2007, 03:54 PM
If Sigil was going for realism, you wouldn't get your items back for several in-game days. A repair all button is no less realistic than the way it's currently handled.

---

Lucid, that question has been answered in this thread already.

---

Nope Stormin, there isn't a cap on the number of times an item can be repaired. Even if there was though, sometimes, a repair all feature would still be nice.

starman7
March 27th, 2007, 04:04 PM
As for LucidApathy's (I think that's who) question as to the titles of comics...
If you just go for www.gucomics.com, indeed there will be no titles. You need to access the comic in the archives (usually, there is a link in Woody's OP back to the comic in archived form). If you can't do that, just go back a day and forward a day.

And yes, total Honey Mead flashback. I never played EQ, or Vanguard, only WoW, though, so I haven't really experienced that. Of course, you could still get shafted, because it repairs all equipped items... and if you happened to be wearing your backup armor and forgot about your main gear in your bags, things might get a little hairy.
And yes, at least back in the day I played, your main gear will break in a dungeon, and backups were essential.

aristym
March 27th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Oh, deja vu! This one took me back.

First-time poster, (to my knowledge) long-time reader.

Poldar
March 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I remember in Beta buying Arrows and hammers one at a time.....man that sucked

Soria
March 27th, 2007, 04:43 PM
:: hugs her repair all button.::

shaizan
March 27th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Yay for references to earlier strips. :) Thank you, Woody.

Jobarra
March 27th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I believe the reason that there is no Repair All currently is because the Repairing of items was added in one of the last phases of beta so not much development has gone into it. I think Brad has stated that he's not sure if they will keep the system now so maybe that's another reason nothing has been added. I know alot of Defensive fighters are having trouble meeting their repair costs for their heavy armor after a session of adventuring. I think it was something along the lines of "I made 35sp from adventuring, then spent 32sp to repair all my armor. Um.. Yay."

The really strange thing is how your diplomacy clothing degrades as well. Guess there are some pretty demanding races out there that like to poke you when making a point.

Giftmacher
March 27th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I think the lack of fix may be because Brad doesn't like item degradation/repair and wants to get rid of it, so maybe that's why it's not been touched.

Gift.

Tig
March 27th, 2007, 06:15 PM
*Edit* Found the comics. The first one when they made it so you could sell a stack but can't buy a stack, and the follow up when you could buy and sell stacks.

God, I remember those days. I think I cried the day they *finally* changed it.

KaiTenSatsuma
March 27th, 2007, 06:23 PM
:shrugs:

This can lead to several games and un-stackable items that should be stackable... oh well

Martuk
March 27th, 2007, 06:43 PM
LOL I have wondered when this long past due patching will be in to Woody. Especially considering all the extra gear I carry so If I ever have to summon my corpse once I spend about 5 minutes repairing.

LucidApathy
March 27th, 2007, 07:26 PM
If you just go for www.gucomics.com, indeed there will be no titles. You need to access the comic in the archives (usually, there is a link in Woody's OP back to the comic in archived form).

Ah-ha! I never really look at the archives (I've been reading that long) so I didn't notice the little area on the right with the comic title. Makes me wanna go and re-read all the comics to read the titles.

Work, or read titles... hmmm....

PS: Thanks for the help Starman7 :)

Furyfire
March 27th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Totally awesome. :3

premiereboris
March 27th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I was actually thinking of sending you this as a joke idea. BRILLIANT!

Devilsbane
March 27th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Jobarra, is that 35sp selling your adventuring loot to the merchants or 35sp selling your adventuring loot to other characters? If it is the latter then they are going to be a poor saleperson for a long time.

tere
March 27th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Well i see she doesn't have the mead problem. Just a repair problem.

Hexlar
March 28th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Okay, maybe it was just me, but today's comic about repairing the armor pieces one at a time so reminded me of EQI and buying food and drink, lol. I can remember back when you had to buy food and drink one at a time, and it was the same for selling. I also recall, Woody, the comic you did when they finally switched over to doing stacks. It had the female character crying in happiness at the counter......well either happiness or sheer frustration that it took them so long to finally code that into the game, lol. Umm, oops...did I just age myself?

Knight
March 28th, 2007, 12:49 AM
make the bad memories go away.

Birks
March 28th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Nice one laughed my ass off.

Dont know if they have fixed this yet, but i noticed that if you are in a laggy chunk and right click like crazy to repair your gear you end up paying more then you should have cause you will be paying the repair cost for the same items multiple times.

Realmreaver
March 28th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Funny and I love that it hearkens back to the Honey Mead strips of way, way back.

I was wondering why that strip looked familiar! WoW... the memories of EQ comes rushing back... the good and the bad.

Paprika
March 28th, 2007, 06:30 AM
I was wondering why that strip looked familiar! WoW... the memories of EQ comes rushing back... the good and the bad.

Ahh the good old days of EQ1, spending more time de-stacking tradekill components than hitting mobs.

There's an old saying "the more things change the more they stay the same"..... seems rather apt for Vanguard.

Jawnee
March 28th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Heck, you even had a couple comics about the original problem in EQ. :)

Woody
March 28th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Jawnee, yup. That was kind of Malkavian's point with the idea submission.

phayt
March 28th, 2007, 09:44 AM
So the question is, did Woody have to look back to his previous works to remember details to make a proper tribute or did he actually still remember pertinent details after all the years and the number of comics that he has drawn?

Woody
March 28th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I didn't need to look back for details of the artwork. But, I did look back for the way the word bubbles were layed out.

I do not remember every comic though. The way I figure it, one of these days there will be a comic that's remarkably like a previous strip, and I won't even know it. I'm damn near 1500 strips... I'm getting old. It's innevitable.

Mordican
March 28th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Loved it. Those little flashbacks are always fun.

malkavian
March 28th, 2007, 06:14 PM
yeah the first time i played it in Beta that was one the thing i went like HMMMM Flashback ^^
Been reading GUComics for years now, i bet some will get flashbacks of Old EQ comics in Vanguard all the time :)

Dwiz
March 29th, 2007, 12:48 PM
yeah well, it does seem to be an issue in all the old school ones, daoc still hasn't got gotten round to getting a repair all button, or well, they hadn't when I left about a month ago, heeding Woody's advice and trying out Vanguard :D