PDA

View Full Version : Jack Thompson on the VT shootings.

parano1a
April 16th, 2007, 01:18 PM
First off, my heart goes out to all those who lost anyone in this massacre.

Second off, Jack Thompson is currently commenting on Fox News Channel about how this is probably a case where someone used a video game to plan their attack. He wont shut up about video games. He keeps talking about how all these other cases where the killers liked "shooters" and planned their attacks using GTA:Vice City, Half-life, Doom, and a multiple of flash games. This man annoys me to no end.

Ugh... when they introduced him they called him an "expert on school shootings"

Here is a link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18134671/?GT1=9246 in case you havnt turned on your TV today.

here is a link to kotaku and people talking about the same thing.
http://kotaku.com/gaming/virginia-tech/breaking-idiot-thompson-blames-va-shooting-on-games-252702.php

Tas
April 16th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Firstly - all our thoughts are currently with friends and family of people involved at VT

now on JT....
'they trained themselves on games like doom'

How much of a moron is this guy? I can score 90%+ headshots in AA but I can miss the entire damn target when shooting a pistol. Aiming and shooting a handgun is so f**king different to using a mouse and keyboard its scarey

I wonder what prompted the guy at Texas Uni in 1966? Watching Star Trek? Listening to Elvis?

Nekojin
April 16th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Doing a search through Google News and Fox's own site, I can't find any references to Jack Thompson in relation to this news at all. Once I can see what sort of pedagoguery he's trotting out, I'll comment on it.

parano1a
April 16th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Yeah he just called into fox and made a statement. I cant wait to see his "official" statement when he is actually interviewed about this.

EndianX
April 16th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I saw it as well. At the bottom of the screen something like:

On the phone: Jack Thompson - School Shooting Expert

Fox News will be getting an angry letter from me asking if they have given up even trying to pretend to be a legit news organization anymore. I put them in with MSNBC these days. Pure entertainment.

Can't believe he would use something like this for self promotion.

Erling E.
April 16th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I just heard this terrible news. My thoughts go out to all those involved and their families.

As for Jack, he needs to stop using situations like this to promote his own agenda. I understand that he feels strongly about this (though I disagree with him strongly, of course), but it is frightfully wrong to draw conclusions from an event that just happened hours ago. He has nothing to base these comments on other than pure speculations, and if he does not understand that, then the journalist who talked to him should.

The press needs to take some responsibility in these matters. Let him speak later, not now.

Whytewulf
April 16th, 2007, 02:40 PM
First... This a scary and sad stuff, the numbers keep going up. We have checked our friends and friends of friends.. all ok.. but this is just crazee.

Second ... Yikes.. Fox News.. You IDIOTS!!!.....

I don't like it when "experts" or sympathizers or anything try to milk a situation for their own agenda, when its this, or the "race card", the war card. Jumping to conclusions is horrible and usually their is no aftermath or recourse for that person, especially when they are proven wrong.

Kelssy
April 16th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I saw it, 30 seconds tops and he called them. It was a rather vague attack on the media in general he mentioned he has a 14 year old son... nothing much. Mainly looked like he was just trying to get his name out there. Fox was talking to everybody that would call and if you sent anything to their e-mail address from the site they were showing it. Some of it was useful, some pointless and some really icky. I'm sure as soon as the "first report" frenzy wears off there will be sombody filtering what gets on the air.

Iyanden
April 16th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I like Fox usually, but to let this quack come on and spew lunacy about people "training" how to kill on Doom is just sickening.

Da_Dude
April 16th, 2007, 11:15 PM
I am going to be straight forward and blunt. I want to punch him. I am tired of him using the tragedy and heartache of others for his own personal agenda. Its like "Hey listen to me blither on about how I think I know why people shoot other people. Wanna know how I know? Video games. Yup plain and simple. They wisper their dark and tainted words to me in my sleep. Oh yea let me also use this time to rub dirt in the face of the victims by using them as poster childs for my anti-game crusade."

Yea, expert my pixelante ass.

Daiv
April 17th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Somone should just shoot him. With something non lethal. A spud for example. Rubber bullets! *BOING*
Then say "It wasn't video games that caused this. It was you."

Seriously though. I'm tired of this moron

bob the goat
April 17th, 2007, 06:55 AM
As a gamer I laugh at the references he uses. GTA to train a sniper?!??! Why does he not say Anna Kournikova played a lot of Pong?

As a shooter I am offended that he thinks it is that easy. There is NO link between games and the ability to shoot what so ever. Even worse, the one thing you can learn from games (i.e. team tactics, using cover etc) are not part of any game he references. If he said Rainbow 6, or Counterstirke then yes there are a few nuggets of concepts that you can learn, but GTA has as much to do with shooting as Pac-Man has to do with frying an egg (i.e. they both involve eating).

Syche
April 17th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Well for 1, it's fox news... That alone is a joke, the slant they put on "news" is insane to begin with...

Secondly, it's JT, and he is spouting off about the games and such, yeah that makes him look believable....

Lastly, I'm surprised he didn't come out and say Imus found his phrase from GTA or the like *lol*

Honestly, it's tragic what happened... Anyone trying to promote their own agenda needs a firm slapdown...

-Me

Andara Bledin
April 17th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I heard about this yesterday while playing on Pogo. If there's news, it will hit the chat in Pogo within minutes. So I took the time to go over some of the news reports.

In the afternoon, there were people at work discussing it and I made some comment that [Smacky] would be decrying the evil of video games as soon as he could put together a semi-literate press release rant about it.

^-.-^

Ska
April 17th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I'm sad for the family losses at VT. Sympathy goes out to all those affected.

As per violence + video games, I'm only gonna ask: Is it the video game that makes a person violent, or are they already violent and happen to like video games that reciprocate that?

kerfym
April 17th, 2007, 12:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weG7A4lTGtg - Here is a transcript of what the idiot had to say.

Seraphim
April 17th, 2007, 01:45 PM
First of all my sympathy goes to those who have suffered by these events. I just heard about this in the news as I live in Europe and it was suggested that the tragedy was related to love affairs between the shooter and the first victim.

As far as my knowledge goes Thomson has no credibility to even claim that there is nondisputable correlation between videogames and violent behavior but honestly I would have been suprised if he wouldn't have jumped at the case.

Also a marksman I have to agree that it is one thing to play fps games and completely another to actually use a firearm. The actual shooting process is far more than just targetting and pulling the trigger.

parano1a
April 17th, 2007, 02:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weG7A4lTGtg - Here is a transcript of what the idiot had to say.

Great find. This JT just blows my mind. I actually never heard him speak until I heard him on the news yesterday. His logic is so ridiculous.

Ska
April 17th, 2007, 02:38 PM
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/04/17/dr-phil-blames-video-games-for-virginia-tech-massacre/

Dr Phil too? Ay.

Iyanden
April 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/04/17/dr-phil-blames-video-games-for-virginia-tech-massacre/

Dr Phil too? Ay.

I hope Dr.Phil has a debate with Sessler now too. :) Unfortunately, Phil has not "social clout" that JT does. The worst thing that can happen is for people to take him seriously, because if a lot of his viewers jump on the anti-video game bandwagon, it could get ugly.

Dermiti
April 17th, 2007, 07:35 PM
JT is such a moron why do the news even listen to him? The best way to shut him up on his "School Shooting Expert" bull is to just ignore him..but he seems to find someone who will listen to him. As long as he gets to be on the news I don't think he will ever shut up on video games are the SOLE cause of massacares like the recent one in VT.

Shooter games can't make you a sniper....there is just no way a mouse will teach someone how to shoot with deadly percision. JT should be banned from any news agency or even making any comments on something he is not an expert on.

Ren
April 17th, 2007, 08:20 PM

Dr Phil too? Ay.

"You cannot tell me - common sense tells you that if these kids are playing video games, where they’re on a mass killing spree in a video game, it’s glamorized on the big screen, it’s become part of the fiber of our society. You take that and mix it with a psychopath, a sociopath or someone suffering from mental illness and add in a dose of rage, the suggestibility is too high."

It may just be my interpretation of it, but when I first read this it didn't feel to me like he was placing the blame on video games, though that appears to be what others see.

I instead read it more like this - the violence in video games, such as the mass killing sprees and all that, is just indicative of a trend towards more violence in modern society. He also mentions it being glamorized on the "big screen", which I thought he was referring to movies for, so he was talking more about violence as a whole in society and not placing the blame squarely on video games. Then, take all that extra violence and combine that with someone who is already a sociopath/nutcase/psychopath/some-other-term-for-clearly-insane, and you have a bad combination.

Or, if it wasn't meant to be interpreted that way.. Well, I dunno. I hope that it wasn't meant to target video games specifically, but whatever.

As for Jacko, do people really listen to him (other than gamers criticising him?)? Or Fox News for that matter.

aespire
April 17th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I'm going to be frank about this, the first thought that entered my mind when I first heard about the shooting was, JT is going to have a field day with this. My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones and those who had to experience the horror of this, but for some reason, the though that JT is going to say something like this was the first thing that pop into my head.

I'm a bad person. =.="

Zutan
April 17th, 2007, 08:34 PM
JT is an idiot.

im not bad at FPS's but im surely nowhere near perfect at them i have a hard time leading and such in games.
but in person im a gold medal marksman with rifles, (not so good with pistoles. .22's are ok not anything bigger)

jt is a moron(personal opinion of course) training in games really doesent help all that much in the real world. (or vice versa in my case)

Da_Dude
April 17th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I'm going to be frank about this, the first thought that entered my mind when I first heard about the shooting was, JT is going to have a field day with this. My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones and those who had to experience the horror of this, but for some reason, the though that JT is going to say something like this was the first thing that pop into my head.

I'm a bad person. =.="

Don't feel bad it was one of the first to cross my mind too. Anytime I hear about any shooting it crosses my mind now. It's like expecting mud after a rain shower.

Salerk
April 18th, 2007, 04:51 AM
My heart goes out to all thoes whom died and have been affected by this.

Ren: I was worried, i was the only person who read it that way, yes to me also it seemed he was just saying that things like movies (big screen) and games can have a bad effect on people and make them more violent IF they have mental issues that prevent them from seeing the differance between the fake and real worlds.

in contrast JT seems to want to convince the world games will make everyone crazed killers whom are hell bent on the end of cilivilation as we know it... humm guess I better stop playing Viva pinata. would not want all that cuteness to make me a bad person :/

bob the goat
April 18th, 2007, 06:21 AM
The problem is a case of credibility. We all know that he is not credible. He calls Fox News and tells them that he is a famous laywer and a credible game expert, and they believe him because he has been involved in all those cases. They put him on the news. Now the public looks at him and grants him un-justafied credibility becasue they trust the news to check their sources. His ranting are given credibility because he says he is credible.

Doh.

Calbeck
April 18th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I saw it as well. At the bottom of the screen something like:

On the phone: Jack Thompson - School Shooting Expert

Can't believe he would use something like this for self promotion.

Ah, I see...he called in, and told the screener he was a "school shooting expert", and they took it at face value. It's possible that they didn't recognize his name right off the bat. This is quite a bit different from the notion that Thompson was an actual guest speaker invited to appear on the show.

And yes, I CAN believe he would promote himself like this, and Fox was probably the third or fourth outfit he tried to finagle himself onto the air with. I will BET you that he adds the "appearance" to his resume.

EDIT: Okay, nevermind, having seen the video on YouTube, they gave Thompson WAY too much time and credibility. It was like listening to a Sidonia-Is-Proof-Of-Life-On-Mars nutbar calling in to the George Norry Show.

EDITEDIT: I am just WAITING for the news to come out that this kid didn't even own a computer, much less any games. The news so far is that his family was so poor they lived in a mildew-stained basement with less than 450 square feet of living space.

EndianX
April 19th, 2007, 05:49 AM
I am just WAITING for the news to come out that this kid didn't even own a computer, much less any games. The news so far is that his family was so poor they lived in a mildew-stained basement with less than 450 square feet of living space.
Being originally from South Korea, where gaming is like pro-sports, it wouldn't surprise me if he was in to it. However, if it is true his family was that poor, how did he afford VT? And two guns? I make a pretty good living and am struggling to save up for a gun myself right now.

warlockco
April 19th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Seems the media has "calmed" down a bit over things like this though.

Here in Denver I was shocked that they didn't drag Columbine back up to the front page like they seem to do everytime something like this happens.

naladini
April 19th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Happily, the media is starting to catch on to the antics: http://techdirt.com/articles/20070419/134034.shtml

Darkov
April 20th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Seeing as everyone who knew Cho said he was a psycho, I wouldn't worry too much about Thompson's comments this time.

No.6
April 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Well for 1, it's fox news... That alone is a joke, the slant they put on "news" is insane to begin with...

Could I suggest that political fervor be kept out of it? Thanks.

Eelyen
April 20th, 2007, 12:49 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18220228/

Nekojin
April 20th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Applause to MSNBC for asking the questions and challenging Thompson's idiocy in such a high-profile manner.

X_Spearmint
April 20th, 2007, 02:39 PM
so, yeah it turns out the guy didn't seem to have any video games..... But according to Whacky Jacky the only place to learn about mass murder is video games. Obviously movies and television never show anything like that. I mean really, where else could you possibly learn it? It's not like we have a government entity that trains people on how to fire weapons and learn complex military manuevers. So obviously if someone like myself were disturbed and went on a killing spree it'd all be because I played Tribes and Doom growing up. It'd have absolutely nothing to do with me being prior service USMC, nope, couldn't have learned military manuevers or how to fire a weapon there.

They didn't find video games, his roomate said he never saw him play video games and the only people that say he had anything to do with video games are the ones that constantly teased and bullied him growing up(obviously his closest friends). Why can't it just be that the kid was mentally unstable growing up, was dropped in an enviroment that saw him ridiculed and bullied constantly, and snapped? After all that would make sense seeing as it's the conclusion best supported by the facts. The guy was crazy, people knew he was crazy and dangerous. There are mental healthcare records that will attest to this. So why can't it be left at that?

DarkSunz
April 20th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I read the MSNBC article earlier today, before coming here to see this thread, and right off the bat through Jack was at it again. Aside from his normal antics though, I only have ONE question….

Why have we not seen a story, where an MMORPG or RPG is the cause?

“A convenience store was held up this afternoon by a sword wielding Paladin, who ran into the store yelling, ‘Aura of Protection’, just before slicing his way to the cash register, where he promptly bludgeoned the register with a large, maul looking hammer, as police were shipping him off to Arkham, he was heard yelling, ‘I pwned you n00bz! Long Live Leeroy!’”.

THEN, maybe I'll start believing games train us to be killers.

Breandan
April 21st, 2007, 01:22 AM
I have but one thing to say, and those who have been there will know what I am talking about-

"What makes the grass grow?"
"BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW, DRILL SERGEANT!"

Video games my freckled ass, months of true indoctrination to become killing machines doesn't produce bloodthirsty maniacs who go on killing rampages, why would pixilated blood do it?

yewsef
April 24th, 2007, 06:48 PM
So, I'm confused. Did Cho play video games of any kind? I find it hard to believe if the answer is "no" because who doesn't play video games?

If the answer is yes, I dont think Video games make passive guys kill innocent people. But I wouldn't be surprise if it "inspires" psycho. If you let a psycho play football instead I think he wouldn't get the idea of killing people. But if that Psycho been playing 24/7 FPS games like Doom, I really think its very possible it could be a factor of his psycho inspiration.

bob the goat
April 25th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Cho’s friends said that he used to play, but there was no trace of games in his place. Not loaded on his machine, not sitting in a box. I gave up gaming for 4 months, but when you walked into my room you would not know it. I have game boxes in stacks on my desk. If there was no trace, then he was NOT a gamer.

I really liked that the MSNBC article pointed out that Jack said that every school shooting has been inspired by games, but then they pointed out that the highest body count was the sniper in Texas in the 1960’s. 10 years pre-Pong.

Aku
April 26th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Jack is like one of Pavlov's dogs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Pavlov). He hears shootings and video games druel out of his mouth.

kabari
April 26th, 2007, 07:11 AM
... It means that every human being is mass murderer, i have solid evidence because every killer who has ever lived also breathed...

And that has been going for longer than entire recorded history... so my simple theory must be true...

If you breathe you are also mass murderer!

Saroc_Luclin
April 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Better hide this thread. Smacky's going after Blogs that went through his comments on the VT shootings and discussed them. ( http://gamepolitics.com/2007/04/25/breaking-thompson-sues-kotakus-parent-company/ ) (Saw it linked on Slashdot)

Andara Bledin
April 26th, 2007, 01:15 PM
It'd be really, really nice if he got hit with a hefty fine for making false accusations.... Also, it's pretty obvious his lawsuit is purely intended to harass and I think that's actionable as well.

^-.-^

Nekojin
April 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
People who create lawsuits to be a nuisance and financial burden on the people being sued are what the law calls vexatious litigants. If they're normal citizens (IE, non-lawyers) doing it, the law can actually ban them from filing any more lawsuits for a certain time. It's much, much harder to get an attorney declared as a vexatious litigant, though.

Nanaki
April 26th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Id imagine though that Thompson is starting to get more and more infamous in the field of law.