PDA

View Full Version : Over exaggeration, thy name is Woody. (4/23)

Woody
April 23rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
It's been a bad month, so I really needed an escape this weekend. I found that escape in the form of Lord of the Rings Online (http://www.lotro.com). Ahhh leave it to an open beta to temporarily soothe the soul. And where the comic may be a touch brutal, the graphics aren't that bad. Granted, they're not Vanguard. They're not even EQ2. But the truth is, at least for me, it didn't matter. I enjoyed the game just as much as the more graphically intense MMOGs out there. It didn't hurt that I could crank up the graphics settings as far as they would go and my computer yawned and went back to playing solitaire. No stuttering, no lag.

That being said, I was disappainted at the quality of the armor texturing, and the lack of details in elements that look great in the distance but look like non-specfic mud close up. I do like that in Vanguard, when I'm standing half an inch from a tree, it looks like I'm standing half an inch from a tree. In LotRO it looks like I'm standing half an inch from a flat polygon with a blurry texture assigned to it. And I'm an armor whore, so when I see poor dithering and pixelation when I zoom in close, my eyes get sad. Again, I went through and made every effort to make sure every graphics related option was set as high as it would go. But, I fully accept that I might not have something toggled properly in the game. So if someone (including Turbine or Midway staff) has some suggestions, fire away.

Beyond the graphics, I have some other issues with the game. They are mostly personal preferences though. So, I won't go into detail. But, I would like to close this writeup on a positive note. I thuroughly enjoyed the game right up until I hit the open beta level cap. The game's scheduled release date is tomorrow. I would recommend it to the MMOG-lovers in the crowd.

UPDATE: I didn't realize that open beta had intentionally low rez graphics. (Thanks for the correction forum folks.) I received a copy of the game today, I'll let you guys know my opinions of the regular graphics as soon as possible.

Insomniac
April 23rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
Actually, some people in my kinship were discussing this last night! Evidently, the client that you download for beta does not have the graphics options that the retail version has. So you get kind of a scaled down version of the graphics in the game. Again, that's just coming from non-official sources, so it could be wrong.

BTW- I love the LOTR Terrence and Phillip :D

Katuyah
April 23rd, 2007, 11:57 AM
LOL! Do the characters' heads really look like that? ;) Well it sounds like a fun game either way. Awesome comic!

Bigman397
April 23rd, 2007, 11:59 AM
I had actually been wondering about that. Things did seem kind of... scaled down. And a lot of the promo screenies showed a lot more armor detail than what I had seen.

Was in closed beta and didn't play a whole lot unfortunately, but have kicked it up in the later open beta. Have the game pre-ordered and such, should be fun!

Tainda
April 23rd, 2007, 12:06 PM
I am sooo glad you did a comic/write up on LoTRO!

I have been debating on whether to get this or not.

I shattered my ankle in January and haven't played an MMO since. I still love EQII but I need a new game to get my interest back to MMOs.

Since you give it a thumbs up (at least for parts of it) I will try it out myself!

BranWheatKillah
April 23rd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Assuming you downloaded the client and didn't pre-order the game at a store and received the beta disc, you have the low res client. The pre-order disc as well as the retail release discs have the high res client that should correct all of the graphical issues you had with the game.

I've really enjoyed my experiences with the game so far. I intend to pick up a lifetime subscription so that I can pick up another MMO, probably Warhammer, somewhere down the road and not have to deal with two monthly payments.

LotRO strikes the balance I had been looking for with its user-friendly gaming ala World of Warcraft, but adds more depth and replayability to the world with the additions of deeds, virtues, story lines, and monster play.

deathjack
April 23rd, 2007, 12:19 PM
Woody, sounds like you didn't get the high res textures.
They don't come with the download, you need to get a preorder DvD to get them or get the retail. There is a huge differendce between them.

Anyways, got a kick out of that comic, took a me a whole minute to realize the terrence and phillip lookalikes, then I lol'd again

Markusdark
April 23rd, 2007, 12:20 PM
I kinda liked it - it has a slightly different feel to it then other MMO's out there - such as having no 'wizard' class. And it was nice to visit many of the places you read about in the books. But, in the end, there wasn't enough of a change from the 'standard model' of other MMO's out there for me, IMO, to warrant a change of game.

Still, it was fun runnin' around with one of the original dwarves from the Hobbit. :D

BorusWintersong
April 23rd, 2007, 12:21 PM
I ponder if my tablet PC will be able to run it... right now the only MMO I can run without worries is World of Warcraft.

I hear the closest thing to a healer is the bard, does this means that combat in this game is balanced only around offensive classes and not forcing you to rely on defensive ones?

Ghostiger
April 23rd, 2007, 12:22 PM
The rumblings are true. The downloadable open-beta client doesn't have the highest level textures.

You can get those by purchasing the pre-order (or, you know, waiting until tomorrow and just getting the full game).

As someone who played EQ2 for a while, I'd have to say that the highest resolution graphics for LOTRO are very comparable. Though the game world doesn't feel nearly as sterile as EQ2 did.

So, if you're playing open beta, don't judge the graphics by what you're seeing there.

oa127
April 23rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Hullo, whut's all dis then? No LOTR fart jokes?

Neilix
April 23rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
Definitely sounds like you're running the downloaded graphics pack. The pre-order discs come with a high-res setting, which blows the high settings from the downloaded client away.

Glad to finally see a write up on LOTRO. I've been an active member of the beta since early October, and definitely have to say that i'd rank this one at the top of the MMORPG market. Hopefully we'll see more LOTRO comics for the months to come!

Nokei
April 23rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
I played open beta off and on for about a week. Since I always play MMOs / RPGs in 3rd person whenever practical, I really didn't have any complaints about the graphics - found them on par with / better than EQ2 (for the limited time I played that game).

What I enjoyed most is the classes didn't have direct equals to most other fantasy mmo's. E.G. - there's a burglar class that can stealth, but it's not the highest dps class. The minstrel (bard) is actually a primary healer, without suffering the same soloing difficulty as healers typically do at low levels in other games. Most (or all) of the classes have buff / debuff capabilities, but there's nothing like buffs you find in traditional MMOs (where you get several 30 / 60 min buffs cast on you before you head into a dungeon). To summarize - the classes were similar to other MMOs, but play a bit differently.

Of course, my experience was limited to open beta - and my highest level character was 14 (capped at 15 anyway).

All in all a fun game, fast paced combat, good lore, with a neat AA-ish type system (Traits). I'd probably subscribe if I didn't already have to current MMO subscriptions (WoW and EVE).

Ulthar_Darkmoore
April 23rd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Long time Reader, First time poster. Just want to let you know that you have made my Day brighter for a long time now Woody, keep up the great work. With todays comic I just had to post, because I have been in LotRO since Phase 1 Beta & can make comments that open testers wouldn't know about. The graphics that you see on the Downloaded version of the game are all the Low-Res Versions. The only way to get the High-Res version of the game is to either have gotten the Beta Disk from a gaming Mag or with the Retail version coming out tomorrow, April 24. This is not hear-say, this was actually stated to the Closed testers on the beta forums by the Devs. It was, unfortunately, one of the many post from the closed forums that didn't make to the new open forums. So I hope that you folks that were basing your opinions of the game based on the low-res graphics give it another try once it is live unless you can find a Disk with the beta on it today & check it out. Also so that everyone knows, the graphics have yet to be optimized, which was stated in Closed beta also, & still holds true now.

Taninriff
April 23rd, 2007, 12:35 PM
I do so much retro gaming I could care less about graphics. That is one option that never affects me really. I appreciate it when its there, but its hardly necessary for the game for me.

But there are people who are graphics buffs. They spend hundreds on keeping a finely tuned computer to run the latest games at max. My one buddy does this and lives on graphics. Even if it is a beta, it could hurt their sales for folks like him. Plus, for an MMO in a fantasy genre that is flooded with MMO games, they need to set their sights high. Bad graphics in a beta will hurt them I think.

Zutan
April 23rd, 2007, 12:37 PM
yeah the beta we have all been useing (unless you baught the pre order CD. and such) it doesent include the high res textures with it. i havent installed them as im a little worried my comp will flip me the bird and die on me lol.

Cobble
April 23rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
I think it looks pretty good myself. I have the high rez since I have been in closed beta for so long (and a pre order) and while I dont think it competes with the graphics monsters (vanguard,EQ2) I do think its on par with wow. Wow does its colors a little better and Lotr seems smoother but thats all just opinion.

Like Wow, LoTR chose art over super high detail which I prefer.

Woody
April 23rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Oh? I didn't know that (regarding the low-res open beta graphics)! Now I feel a little bad about being prissy on the graphics front.

---

Nope, no fart jokes. I wanted to use Terrance and Phillip for their lack of graphics quality.

---

"And what to the doorstep of my home did appear but a free copy of the game from Midway's marketeers."

Believe it or not, no sooner had I clicked the submit button on this post than a FedEx guy dropped off an unexpected package. Inside the box was a free copy of Lord of the Rings Online. Thanks guys my wallet was weeping and I wouldn't have been able to pick this up otherwise. I guess now I'll get to see the real graphics huh? It was such a bad day so far, I almost wept.

LordPazuzu
April 23rd, 2007, 01:11 PM
From what I've seen(a closed beta client) and heard, LOTRO seems to be using the same engine as DDO. If that's the case, the graphics are only going to get to be so good. The DDO engine isn't exactly the top end rendering engine of the MMO world.

Dist
April 23rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Good to hear woody! Be sure to crank up the graphics with the new Disc and you will be pleasantly surprised.

I said I would never play another MMO... Then I got a beta invite and I'll be purchasing the lifetime subscription plan.

Kyllinge
April 23rd, 2007, 01:30 PM
Maybe not, but after playing both Everquests, I found DDO to be a nice change... If only for a shorter time. (6 years EQ1, 2 years EQ2 and 1 year DDO) Hmm, see a pattern, maybe I'm just getting old...er

Rzar
April 23rd, 2007, 01:52 PM
I have been playing open beta since it went live and have pre-ordered. I did not know about the graphics difference, download vs. disk. I thought the graphics were awsome already! They did not slaughter my system like VG did. I am looking forward to getting my Live disk tomorrow and getting the High Res version. I just hope it does not kill my computer. Also though for me graphics are not that important. If the game is fun then graphics fall to the side. Better graphics only marginally improve the experiance where if gameplay is fun then that makes a HUGE difference. Then again I am a proud Wii owner and embrace gameplay over graphics.

Side Note: After 2 days of lotRO both my wife and I canceled our VG and WoW accounts. I think it is a good mix between Easy (WoW) and harder MMOs (EQ2, VG).

Floon
April 23rd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Just wanted to confirm what other folks have already said, that if one has downloaded the game, the textures are a step down from full-res. The client_hires.dat file is 1.7GB all by itself, so that's why we didn't include it in the download version. And everyone here appreciates the compliments folks have made about the game: thanks, I hope you guys enjoy the game.

Not that it makes me look uber-professional to link to someone else's comparison shot, but one of our forum members posted this image (http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/755/beforeafterzv9.jpg), in comparing high vs very high textures, and it shows the difference off pretty well (and saves me from compositing some screenshots myself).

This is all by way of saying that the comic was way funny, and Woody should IN NO WAY be concerned about any strange creaking sounds he might hear in the middle of the night. Honest.

sturge
April 23rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
Hullo, whut's all dis then? No LOTR fart jokes?

Yeah! I love the use of Terence and Phillip from Southpark. But HOW can you put them on and NOT do a fart joke?!

aicrules
April 23rd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Oh? I didn't know that (regarding the low-res open beta graphics)! Now I feel a little bad about being prissy on the graphics front.

They don't do a very good job of promoting the fact that the graphics aren't really going to be that bad. That was an issue I had in my short open beta trial. However, I also didn't like the whole Bard concept. I got tired of the guitar sounds all around me REALLY quick...

In general I just didn't feel like I was in the LOTR world right off the bat. Then again, the graphic issue made my trial pretty short.

Woody
April 23rd, 2007, 02:46 PM
Like I said in an earlier post, I was more focussed on the "poor quality" aspect of their characters. Though I did almost put a nearly invisible "pffrrrt" back there behind Phillipolas. I might just go add it in anyway. We'll see.

TVs Frank
April 23rd, 2007, 03:05 PM
Better graphics won't fix how horribly atrocious those human male models look, heh. Poor guy looks so odd at the shoulders.

Other than that, was an enjoyable enough of a game, though I think it doesn't bring much to the table. The way PvP war is accomplished is just a bit more fleshed out Project M.

Varangaard
April 23rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
I was in the European beta since early January, and enjoyed my time there immensely (at best got my Elf Champion up to 28 or so inbetween the character wipes of various beta stages). My personal opinion is that it offers a graphically excellent alternative to all those people who yearn for a change of pace from WoW's interminable instance grind / phat lewt grind / honor grind / faction grind / grind grind grind. The only reason I'm not going to play in retail is according to my latest info, my payment options are not supported.

wiccalight
April 23rd, 2007, 03:40 PM
well we'll see how long it will take till those two show up on the LoTR mmo, although I don't think Pillip's LoTR style name will get past the name filters lol.

Being a Southpark fan I love the comic today Woody.

As for the free game you got that had to have freaked you out alittle. "Big Brother" is modering you. hehehe.

Woody
April 23rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
I've seen worse names floating over heads in game.

Zarkon_GT
April 23rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah, that screenshot is something else. Makes me wish I had a computer capable of running it (looks at all setting set to low and medium).

Oh well, time will fix that one.

Should have a review up of the game tomorrow morning, too, based on about 4 months of beta.

multitaskingmama
April 23rd, 2007, 04:51 PM
still hillarious and a good one for many games (at least for those of us typically stuck with not-as-good comps).

rcuhljr
April 23rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
I have mixed feelings, I played the open beta up to mid teens to get a feel for it and because of my deep love of the Tolkein world. Maybe it's just that part of it reminds me of the horror that was DDO but the game just didn't grab me. Most of the other major mmorpg's I've liked in the past kind of grabbed me by the throat and I just sank into the world. I wish the game well out of respect for the lore but and I wish I had the 200 to throw around for a lifetime subscription just so I could have it sitting around to see how it matures.

Syche
April 23rd, 2007, 05:44 PM
I am just disappointed in this comic in so many ways...

A quick trip to the LOTRO forums would have given you the answer Woody, I am surprised you didn't see that big sticky post...

-Me

Woody
April 23rd, 2007, 06:51 PM
Say what you like, but since the wasteland of uselessness that started with the WoW forums, I don't read official forums. (unless someone links me to a specific post). And even if I had read "that big sticky post", I still would have done this comic. Because it was my initial response to what I saw. That's how I've always worked and that's how I always will work.

So here's my official response to your disappointment: **wiggles a finger** Whoopty doo.
Go ahead and be disappointed. I'll trust my eyes before I trust a post on a game's official forums any day.

Nólaquen
April 23rd, 2007, 07:06 PM
There's nothing wrong with jabs at first impressions, in my opinion. First impressions are often make or break. My first impression of LotR wasn't that great, mostly because of having been spoiled by Vanguard in many ways. The loading screens are one example. The lack of character variety as another. It isn't that those things are detrimental to the game. It is just they spoiled my first impression and I was turned off pretty quick by them to the point that I didn't even get through the tutorial before moving on to something else entirely. (Not in fairness to the game, I realize, and as a result of this comic, I want to give the game another more fruitful try.)

Though this is "just" a comic about it, it brings to light the importance that things like texture detail can have in a player's ability to adopt the game.

Takara
April 23rd, 2007, 07:13 PM
The most unfortunate part of the low res graphics, in my opinion, is that Woody isn't the only one to not know they are part of "beta" and assume that's how the game is going to look upon release.

I played it, I didn't see anything in the beta notes or patch notes. Every time a player starts the game, Midway/Turbine has every opportunity to notify players of the potential for higher quality graphics upon purchase of the game. They mention the 15 level limit cap (which Woody achieved rather quickly) but not the graphics.

I avoid Game Company run Forums like the plague, because I value my time. Again, just my opinion, but 99% of posts are total tripe.

Garthilk
April 23rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
I guess I'm in the minority. I enjoyed the graphics. Even the lower end ones. Yeah my system didn't break a sweat, perhaps it should have. But it didn't have a stroke either, ala Vanguard. Now it's the type of game which for me is mindless fun. I don't have to put a lot of thought into it. A lot of strategy, I just log in, complete some quests, explore, kill some stuff, find new stuff and relax. I'm pretty happy with the results, somehow Turbine managed to do a pretty good job IMO. Also, I'd have to congratulate their marketing department, they've managed to do a great job working with their CM team.

Masu
April 23rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
One huge advantage I think LotRO has over it's competition is just how well it was planned. Even in alpha this game felt finished from a game play point of view.

The graphics are fantastic, even without the ultra high res.. Lower polygons do hurt, but they made up for that by the level of detail around the game world.. While Vanguard has very nice graphics (that cripple most pc's) most of the game world is a barren mesh of giant geometrical shapes that look more randomly generated than hand-crafted.

But I don't want to bash on Vanguard, but it's hard not to when I hear it praised for the very things I felt were wrong with it >.>

Anyhow, several perks in LotRO that people who haven't played it much may not know (and may not seem important) are:

You can smoke a pipe.
You can lie down, in a sleeping manner or just lying on your back staring at the sky.
You can play various instruments (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH78u-sD7qw) and make your own kind of music.

I'll admit, the character customization is lacking, but this was done so your characters could have a wide variety of expressions which can be altered via moods and various emotes. And while the faces are very similar, I haven't played an MMO with as many hair options as this game has.

Well, just had to be one to say a few good things.

highjumper9999
April 23rd, 2007, 08:41 PM
I thought the game was crap. I started out on EQ and then i started GW. With GW the graphics I am use to are amazing, but with EQ they were not the greatest. I still like them over LOTRO. If the beta is not all there, which it probably is, I probably won't get the game.

Tex

Aeria
April 23rd, 2007, 08:43 PM
Meh even with the high end graphics...its not exactly interesting.

Shadow
April 24th, 2007, 12:58 AM
How,

first thing I thought when i saw that comic was: Oh no, don't tell me I bought another crappy mmo. But so glad I read the entire explanation on the bottom

Although I'm afraid the damage is done for the less attentive reader.

and woody the lotr: o forums aren't that bad of a place, from the few threads that i've read it's quite polite and informative. (I naturally stay away from those "i quit and so should you because... posts" because those are flamebait.)

But comparing the Lotr:O forums to the WoW community forums would be like comparing a huge pile of poopie with <<insert your favorite food here>>.

Paprika
April 24th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Not seen the LOTR graphics so I'll avoid comment on that. Though having played EQ/EQ2 I did find the original EQ2 graphics very bland, to my mind at least the faces were too angular and the landscape felt too regular. I will agree with Woody with the armour whore thing..... hate to think how much plat went on armour dyes in EQ ^_^

Looking forward to LOTR, may give me a change from WoW - just need to see some full reviews.

echowitch
April 24th, 2007, 03:14 AM
I've been playing on the Pre-Order (£1.99 from Game WOOT !!) for the last few days and it has me and a load of Guildies hooked. The graphics are good, although again as others have said, they are not as good as VG, but frankly.....I can run LOTRO without stuttering to a halt every single step as happens in VG. (And I have a pretty good pc.)

The creatures seem somewhat limited, but I actually like that. You aren't swamped with the same rehashed creatures with a different colour and name but the same model. Plus ....I don't know why.....but it feels kind of pre-cu SWG-esque with the placement of creatures. And shooting Goblins with my Elf Hunter just feels REALLY REALLY fun

I've cancelled my VG account and Im seriously teetering on the edge of cancelling WoW as well. At least until POTBS comes out then it may be YARR Matey :) Tempted to get the lifetime account offer though as its a good deal and would allow me to play as an when the mood takes me

And for those interested in a spot of Lord of the Rings culture.....the stage show is beginning in London in a few weeks.

http://www.lotr.com

Probably trying to piggyback some publicity off of LOTRO !!

Calen
April 24th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Hehe, see that you heard about the hi-res client ^^

premiereboris
April 24th, 2007, 05:39 AM
ohhh man that is hillarious. I am still gasping for air. I think the LOTRO models look worse than WoW.

Soulcollector
April 24th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Terrence and Phillip MMOG characters... eh woody?
kinda liked that... do me a favure, will you. get these guys in as regulars.

LtPowers
April 24th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I was impressed by the graphics in LOTRO, and I've got the downloaded client. =) If it looks even better with the high-res textures, so much the better. The relatively low polys don't bother me much; I still play NWN1. =)

Unfortunately, I just can't justify spending time on a new MMORPG, with me still going strong in EQ2 and SWG. And paying for Puzzle Pirates to boot. Otherwise, I'd definitely give it a go; it looks like a very good game, even if it's not miraculously different from every other fantasy MMORPG, as some people seem to expect.

Powers &8^]

Narreneth
April 24th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Before I had heard that the graphic files were not the actual Hi-res version I thought the same thing about the character models, however, I will say that even with the low res files I thought that the environments were absolutely beautiful. They may not be the best graphics EVER, but I think they are very charming and well done.

Not to mention I think the game is a blast. I just hope the community doesn't turn into WoW's community.

Dravvan
April 24th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I hear the closest thing to a healer is the bard, does this means that combat in this game is balanced only around offensive classes and not forcing you to rely on defensive ones?

Minstrel is the morale booster; primarily he heals, but if a combat goes long enough, he can buff his teammates (you have to go through 2 other "tiers" of songs to get teammate buffing, which can be a pain, but if a fight is that short, that sort of thing isn't needed if you have a good group)

There's Guardian, who's your tank. He takes the punishment. He's slow to deal it, but deal it he can.

There's Champion, who's also a kind of tank, but is a berserker/damage-dealer

There's Hunter who is mainly DPS and has some moves that we saw in the LOTR movies (Legolas stabbing an orc with an arrow, then shooting it elsewhere). I was running my guardian with 3 hunters yesterday. I had to leap into battle if I wanted to get my hits in. *grins*

There's Captain; he's also melee, but he summons a pet and has buffing powers.

There's Loremaster, who is not a wizard, really. He's more of a druid-type. He has damage spells, can summon pets (I've only seen two; raven and bear) and can do some minor healing at the cost of his own hp.

And of course, burglar. He's sneaky and stuff. I've not played that class extensively, having grown very fond of my minstrel, hunter and guardian.

Granted, I've just given a basic overview and so have may left some stuff out. If others wish, go ahead.

Meanwhile, I'm on Landroval server as Valdaron (Hunter), Bandovar (Minstrel) or Korron (Guardian). Those who play, feel free to look me up!

Andara Bledin
April 24th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Love today's comic!

If the downloadable beta graphics are notably under par compared to the true game graphics, that should be mentioned during the initial loading screen. As the saying goes, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. I'm not the sort to not play a game based on graphics quality unless they were bad enough to make my eyes bleed. However, I've known a lot of people who would see the low res graphics for the beta, not understand that they don't represent the true grahics quality, and never look back.

^-.-^

Frostburnx
April 24th, 2007, 09:08 AM
HAHA! I just LOVE the Terrance and Phillip reference! Lovely comic. Hope you feel better!

Silicon
April 24th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Actually, some people in my kinship were discussing this last night! Evidently, the client that you download for beta does not have the graphics options that the retail version has. So you get kind of a scaled down version of the graphics in the game. Again, that's just coming from non-official sources, so it could be wrong.

Makes sense to me - Turbine did the exact same thing with DDO.

naladini
April 24th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Its good to see a MMO with so many hat selections.

One other nicety, it would seem that the "space minigame", annoyingly present in so many other games, is a non issue in LoTR, with ample bagspace available from the get-go.

I never enjoyed having to micromanage space and weight in games where you're allowed to carry an utterly unrealistic amount of equipment around anyway.

I should also mention my Dismay ... apparently WoW has made login queues an acceptable model for other MMOs. How very disappointing.

AA0
April 24th, 2007, 01:10 PM
As you get higher in levels you do have some issues with space, but it can be minor.

If you want to bank a lot of craftable components you'll have issues, various pieces of armour with certain benefits, definitely issues (for later in the game). You can fill up your inventory in an hour or two of fighting, especially the sentient beings who drop unique and non stackable items.

As I've tried out new craft classes I've found out weapons and armour crafting takes a lot of sub components, with a vault being a rare find, things add up.

I am waiting to get a new PC within the next 1.5 months or so to install the high res pack, my aging beast runs the game fine as is though. It can be gorgeous at times, even in low res.

Esckey
April 24th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I actually enjoyed the graphics, sure they were subpar but it was a welcome change from the cartoony look of WoW. My only issue was the valut space, I knew there would be a problem in later levels(and for RP equipment) I think my favorite aspect of the game was the little combos for the guardian. Instead of hitting heroic strike and then a mortal strike over and over again, I could actually fight the guy depending on how the fight had gone, give him a sheild smack when I block and then a second one if the first one connected. Great times had by all......cept for the Blackwolds, they had some hurt feelins.....and smooshed in faces

If there are game cards then I'll buy the game but till then I'll sit on the sidelines and look over peoples shoulders as they play.....and secrety be jealous of them.

naladini
April 24th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Oh I'm sure space issues will creep in, players tend to be packrats. :)

I guess my point is the game didn't seem to feel like you had to continually worry about space / money in the early going. You could easily afford a weapon (maybe two), and didn't have to worry about wasting a chunk of money on a bag or two so you wouldn't have to sell so often.

It lets you focus on gameplay, following quests and storyline, as opposed to breaking out of your mini quest because you've collected some extra bones, furs or teeth and have run out of room..

Vixxen
April 24th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Hmm...I dunno, I found the graphics to be quite lovely and artistic. And, considering I don't have a DVD drive, I'm stuck with the lower rez graphics. However, it doesn't bother me. I find it a lovely middle ground between the ultra-stylized, cartoony look of WoW and the ultra-realistic, muddy and dull graphics of the majority of EQ2 (Mara and a few of the instances notwithstanding).

And from an role-players perspective, I immensely enjoyed the feeling the game gave me that I was *in* the world. The beginner quest line, the sounds, the ability to talk to major story characters (like running alongside Elrond, and having a chat with Strider in the Prancing Pony), all makes me feel like my character's are actually in the world, rather than just running through without much interaction with the world (which usually feels to me like Its A Wonderful Life, where you're going through your life, but nobody can see you or hear you).

All-in-all, I'm very impressed, and found myself actually snapping screenshots like a silly tourist. LOL

Unuthiel
April 24th, 2007, 08:38 PM
The high rez graphics (which are labled as the "very high" selections in the various menus), have been noted for their beauty. I think you may owe someone a modified comic after you see them.

No.6
April 24th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Turbine's got two lifetime subs (wife's and mine) :)

Regarding graphics: Find some empty space sometime and just look at the night sky. If there wasn't a mini-map, you could navigate by those stars. (Yes, Arda is supposed to have our constellations).

As for jokes: "This is the river Spumoni. Beware of it; it causes cavities."

Wendelius
April 25th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Amber Night posted some "postcards from Rivendell" which also go to show how talented Turbine is at creating worlds: http://ambernight.org/archives/2007/04/24/379#more-379

I really love the in game graphics, even though I agree that the textures can be a bit low res up close and personal. I'll try the high res ones when I get the game discs, but I can certainly live without them. I spend most of my time just admiring the game world.

Turbine's got two lifetime subs (wife's and mine) :)

Same here.

Wendelius

Rynan
April 25th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Hey maybe not the best comparison shot, but here is a thread that links to a High/Low res shot:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=47421&page=2&highlight=high-res

Here's a link to the shot:

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/755/beforeafterzv9.jpg

I'm having a good time with LotR OL right now, I went for the $10 a month option.

Nólaquen
April 25th, 2007, 01:46 PM
You can play various instruments (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH78u-sD7qw) and make your own kind of music.
After seeing this comment, I rushed home, fired up LOTRO again, rushed through the tutorial and finally got to an instrument vendor. While I'm sitting there strumming a couple chords on my harp, a random person comes up, whips out his own harp and starts harmonizing to my chords. I can tell you....I am definitely hooked now! :D The ability to "play" music in SWG was what attracted me to that game for the first 6 months that I played it. I love this kind of stuff.