PDA

View Full Version : Dark Side

Keegea
May 28th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Ive been considering switching allegiance to Microsoft and buying the Xbox 360, and was wondering if you all feel it was worth buying. Now bearing in mind that i've been a long standing Sony user since the playstation came out originally, should i just wait until the PS3 price drops, or bite the bullet and just buy the 360?

Woody
May 28th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Each system handles certain game types and gaming elements (such as lighting) differently. The following is purely a submission of opinion.
I'll give a category, name a winner, and give a brief explanation.

Graphics: 360
In a side by side comparison the 360 seemed to handle most texturing and light bloom better than the PS3. Over time, as the developers start pushing the PS3's hardware, this might change.
Gamespot

High Def Format: Neither
Neither Blu-Ray or HD-DVD has proven itself in my book. I don't need a blu-ray player right now; but, I have to shell out the dough for one if I want a PS3. But, Sony has just been sued over blu-ray technology and the plaintiff seems to have a strong case that could cause problems for the format.
Gamespot

Price: 360
Despite Sony's boastful claims to the contrary, gamers don't seem to want to shell out the huge amounts of cash to buy the PS3. Not to mention that Sony has, thus far, dismissed any talk of lowering the PS3's pricetag.

Online service: 360
Sony's Home and Folding projects are nothing to sneeze at but Xbox Live! has them beat hands down: functionality, amount of content, etc.

Look and Feel: 360
When I look at a PS3, it looks cheap and bulky, where the 360 looks lean and solid. The difference, as best as I can explain it is: when I look at the PS3, it looks like glossy plastic with some faux chrome trim, when I look at the 360 it looks to me like painted metal. Odd I know, but that what my artist mind sees. The footprint/size difference is also noticeable. And I thought the original Xbox was large.
1Up.Com

Overheating: PS3
The infamous red ring of death is often caused by the 360 system overheating. Articles about the PS3 overheating are rare.

Volume: PS3
All reports seem to indicate that the PS3 runs much much quieter than the 360. And being that my 360 sounds like a mini harrier jet when I turn it on, I'm inclined to believe the reports.

Games: Neither
Nother seems to be truly exclusive anymore.

Winner: 360

So, coming from someone that preferred the PS2 over everything else coming into this console war. The PS3, in my mind, just can't contend with the 360 right now.

Keegea
May 28th, 2007, 06:12 AM
thanks for that. a slightly more comprhensive answer than i was expecting, but it certainly covers all the pertinent points. I think I may just go and spend some money and get myself one on payday. Cheers.

Rzar
May 31st, 2007, 09:11 AM
Keegea,

I too have been considering getting a 360 as of late. Ok I have made the decision. I am just waiting on the procedes from selling my Wii to get one. The PS3 was never a consideration for me, way too expensive.

Woody mentioned content via Live, some of that content is access to HD movies. This might not be a big deal to you but was a selling point for me. I got a HD capable TV about 6 months ago but have yet to see anything HD on it. I have been too cheap to pay the money for HD service. You can download HD movies at $6 bucks a pop. Now with rentals of movies at blockbuster being about $4.88 the $6 bucks is not much more and the convenience of not having to return it. If you look at the Live website you can see that MS has partnered with many different movie companies and the library can only but grow.

If you are looking for someone to game with via Live once you get your 360 PM me. I should have mine by the end of the week.

Cheers and happy gaming

KaiTenSatsuma
May 31st, 2007, 04:22 PM
I just have to say you shouldn't consider it as a sort of "Jump Ship"

Buy a 360 for now, get some good Xbox games (Ninja Gaiden Black, that way you dont pay 60 dollars for the 3rd remake of a game, as one example) along with some 360 games to keep yourself occupied, then later when/if the Sony drops the PS3's price (fixes the problems with systems freezing, gets some games you'd like, maybe becomes... smaller) pick it up.

Seriously, i have had a console from most companies, Sega, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, and the whole "Console Favoritism" thing is tiring, each console has its own strengths and weaknesses, right now im enjoying playing Monster Hunter Freedom for the PSP, while buying everything to make it actually efficient is a bit costly, its a good handheld for long trips and has some genuinly good games, albeit old ones , not at all a bad thing, you're having some great games coming your way, especially if you're into RPG games, Breath of Fire 3, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, but it just gets tiring when Square is releasing FFI and FFII...separately, $30, still 2D...we are talking a jump from NES games, sizing less than most images online, and making them a bit more palpable for the current gamer.

Keegea
June 10th, 2007, 04:49 PM
I have to be honest, and say that i eventually bought a PS3 with R:FOM which im loving. i finally decided that it came with everything built in that i would need to buy seperately with the 360 i.e. the wireless connection