PDA

View Full Version : The Way It Should Have Ended (6/11)

Woody
June 11th, 2007, 02:01 PM
You folks know that I've followed the Sopranos on HBO semi-religiously since the show's premier. So, I was anxious for what the series finale might bring. The Sopranos fans knew there would be a twist, and we knew people would die. But, I personally was hoping the twist ending would be a bit more significant, and MORE people would die. What we got was the typical mid-season story progression with no real oomph. It was situation usual and nothing really happened. And, that was the point.

So why pick on AJ specifically? Well, Robert Iler, can act his ass off. The problem is that I really didn't like what the producers did with the character. And the Carmela thing, I honestly thought she was going to shoot Tony a few seasons ago.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I like that it ended the way it did. But, I probably would have liked it if it had ended another way as well... especially if someone had shot AJ.

lakoda
June 11th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I am usually disappointed in series finales in general. I don't know, it always seems weird when things are resolved when the whole point of the show was that things weren't resolved...or they do the situation usual thing and it just doesn't work for a final episode.

Tallika
June 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM
yep it kinda went out with a fizzle... i was hoping for bloodbath myself so there was some finality to the series. not the life goes on ending.

or other senario:
The shrink should have turned states evidence and the FBI should have been rounding everyone up in one big sequence.

DashCat9
June 11th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I actually haven't watched an episode this season, but I was looking forward to reading how it all ended. Conveniently there was a news article on the Comcast main page minutes after the finale finished airing. I like shows that end on that kind of note, but only if there is some significance for it to end in that manner. From what I've heard of the final scene, David Chase did a great job.

junior
June 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM
The shrink should have turned states evidence and the FBI should have been rounding everyone up in one big sequence.

The shrink can't. Any evidence provided by the shrink would have been inadmissible in court due to patient/doctor priviledge. There are exceptions to the rule (in the Menendez Brothers murder trial in California, priviledge was ignored when one brother threatened the shrink that the other brother was visiting), but by and large anything you say to your shrink is off-limits for a prosecutor. Same thing with lawyers. And spouses can't be compelled to testify (though unlike shrinks and lawyers, they have the option to do so if they choose).

Nokei
June 11th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Simultaneously across America, millions thought their cable box dropped signal. I know I did.

I was very pissed at the time, but I have to say now that the ending was better than anything else I could contemplate. Tony dies = cliche. Tony goes into witness protection = cliche. David Chase's series was about being everything but cliche. Can't say my 8 years watching was wasted.

Katuyah
June 11th, 2007, 03:01 PM
LOL um...ok...can't say I've ever been a fan of The Sopranos, but cool comic. :)

There is, however, a new series on Shotime now called The Tudors that I find utterly fascinating. It's about Henry VIII and the events surrounding his rule in England back around the time when he divorced Catherine of Aragon and married Anne Boelyn. The only downside is that after 10 episodes, they say that a whole new season will be coming out in 2008. So, unless I completely misunderstood them, we won't get to see ANY more of The Tudors until next year.

darkpaw
June 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I have to say last night I was disappointed, but not surprised. I would have at least liked to have seen AJ taken out. Was I the only one happy when he was in the pool until Tony dragged him out? Then when his car started smoking I was like finally he's screwed, let down again. God I've never seen anyone whine so much (and was it just me, or did he seriously look like Bud Bundy for the last few episodes?).

sturge
June 11th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Seeing how open the ending is, I wouldn't be surprised they are hoping to do a movie in a few years.

Devilsbane
June 11th, 2007, 03:22 PM
So Scientology's is correct therapy does not help?

Amanty
June 11th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Colin Cowherd put it best this morning when he said that "life in the Sopranos universe continued on, it was the audience that got whacked".

I really do not think that any other ending would have been quite as good as the one that they had. It just would not have fit in with the rest of the series.

Shinma
June 11th, 2007, 03:40 PM
An absolutely disappointing ending. This ranks right up there with the Seinfeld ending. They might as well have shown the Sopranos movie teaser at the end of that garbage.

I wont be seeing that movie, if/when it comes out. It will only be an attempt to cash in on the fans of the series.

gaedii
June 11th, 2007, 03:58 PM
is this true?

=================
In the "previously on Sopranos" bit in the opening, they made a point to show Bobby and Tony's conversation where he said when you die maybe you don't even see it and everything just goes black.

The guy that went into the bathroom was Phil's nephew. He almost definitely came out and blindsided Tony. Probably a nod to the restaurant scene in The Godfather.

Meadow had that look on her face because she saw the guy coming up on Tony's side, through the door, but couldn't get there in time to warn him.

=================

this was posted on Ayonae Ro - EQ forum board

crazer1
June 11th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I read somewhere (cant find the link now.. there's just no time, man!) that they shot 4 different endings to the The Sopranos just to keep security tight, and just a hand full of people knew which one was the real one. I would love to see the other 3 if this is the case. I guess it ended the only way it could have. But still, I could have sworn I heard my entire neighborhood screaming "WHAT THE <expletive deleted>!!!" in unison. I had to hit my wife in the head with a pillow to keep her from throwing a water bottle at our TV. I slept on the couch :(

Masu
June 11th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I'd have liked to have seen Sil wake up.. But I guess that's asking too much heh. I liked how they made ya question Paulie, if only a little. The ending was brilliant as well. Big thumbs up from me.

naladini
June 11th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Personally, I didn't mind the ending so much. Besides, writing an ending that leaves a this kind of story "ongoing" is also a smart way to hold out hope that there might one day be a movie.

On the flip side, I think people dislike this kind of ending because its too much like real life: No clear winnner, and things just keep on keeping on. Why does the NFL work so hard to make sure games don't end in a tie? Because Americans really struggle with ties.

Woody
June 11th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Gaedii, even if it's not accurate, I like it.

---

Please Note: Tangent posts about the series finales of other shows have been moved to their own thread in the Special Forums.

Syche
June 11th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Yes, that is all true, gonna find the post I saw on another board that explains the finale final season: *Ripped off the FARK Forum, which apparently was ripped off another forum*

"OK, at first I was really angry. I mean really, really angry. I can't believe though that no-one has posted by now what happened. The only thing I saw that was right, was that in the last scene we are seeing through Tony's eyes. Remember when he was speaking with Bobby...basically saying that you don't see it happening?

So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the black guys at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).

Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and then it just ends. This was Chase's way of proving that he will not escape his past. It will not go on forever despite that he would like it to "don't stop". Not the fans!!! Tony would like it to keep going but just as we have to say goodbye, so does he. No more Tony and I guess we are supposed to be happy that Meadow didn't get clipped as well (she would have been between the shooter and Tony) since she is the only one worth a crap in that family."

Nice Eh?

Darkwolven
June 12th, 2007, 03:53 AM
I hope this is parody and not the least bit spoiler. I've just been watching Sop on the DVD's and I have a ways to go yet. I came here looking for a game or industry comic and...

Just grrrrr..... :(

Woody
June 12th, 2007, 03:58 AM
It's satire, not the least bit spoiler-ish, and game/industry comics are littered throughout the archives.
gucomics.com/search for the win.

Zorz Muaddieb
June 12th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I have never seen an episode. I heard about the ending and hate "Total Recall" type endings. Its to bad that it didn't have a "God of War" type ending like you illustrated Woody. :)

MORE BLOOD YAY!

I'm gonna sing the doom song now.....

-Z