PDA

View Full Version : EA adopting a Blizzard-esque timeline for completion? (6/21)

Woody
June 21st, 2007, 01:15 PM
The June issue of Game Informer (http://www.gameinformer.com), in an article about EA / Will Wright's Spore (http://www.spore.com), states that the game has been "delayed indefinitely".
Kotaku

Since this information hit the wealth of gaming news sites, EA has issued statement after statement reassuring fans that the dates have not been pushed back any further. The truth of the matter is, EA's fiscal '09 extends from April 2008 to April 2009. So, if spore releases in May '08 it will still be considered a fiscal '09 release.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing happens all the time. One slight mistep on fact checking and the whole article starts to fall into a spiral of misinformation. I know, I've done it myself more than once.

I'd like to make a comment here reassuring you that, given EA's actual fiscal year dates, Spore will be released next year. The thing is... I don't actually believe it. I HOPE the game will be released sooner than later. But, I have this nagging feeling that the game will not hit shelves until 2009. Notice the lack of the word "fiscal".

Consider this writeup yet another request from yours truly for companies to just say "it'll be done when it's done" unless they are 100% certain of the release date. Oh, and my apologies to Blizzard. I didn't mean to pick at them about issues with hitting initial release dates. **whistles**

LostintheWood
June 21st, 2007, 01:28 PM
Would rather they take a little longer and put out a good game. Getting a little tired of paying big bucks + monthly fee to do the final beta and stress testing of games :)

tobalaz
June 21st, 2007, 01:32 PM
I'm not usualy big on EA games because they never seem to want to run right on my pc (particulary the console first, pc second titles), BUT I'm dying to play Spore. It just looks so fun and inventive with so many endless gameplay posibilities I'm going to have to pick it up.
That being said, I wonder what is it that's taking so long? From all the videos I've seen of it it looks near finished enough, think it could possibly be the network database that we're supposed to be able to use to interact (in a non harmful way) with other users' worlds?
This could be as big as WoW if you stop and think abou tit and EA could get blasted with server trafic.
Heck, they might even have been contemplating monthly fees, you never know.
I do know one thing, and Spore can't get finished fast enough.

Meat
June 21st, 2007, 01:34 PM
awww, I want my spore now. Oh well, it will be amazing whenever it comes out I'm sure

DashCat9
June 21st, 2007, 01:34 PM
I've given up on concerning myself with when a game is released. I've been waiting for Overlord and The Darkness for years now....but I just kind of forgot about them. I find out a few days ago that they're coming out next week! Yay!

The one exception to this is Mass Effect. KOTOR 1 + 2 consumed my life for as long as it took me to beat them twice. I've found myself yelling at my computer screen when I see that the estimated release date is pushed back again and again. :-(

nicksmac
June 21st, 2007, 01:41 PM
Would rather they take a little longer and put out a good game. Getting a little tired of paying big bucks + monthly fee to do the final beta and stress testing of games

If I purchase one more video game that feels more like a Beta I am going to stop purchasing games and start DLing them and trying them out first. Not that I condone downloading video games, in fact I am very agents the whole idea.

But with companies pushing more and more garbage at the public they might as well stick a buyer beware sticker on all games. I am just protecting myself by downloading and *testing* the game.

I find that poor, sloppy release are more in the MMO genre then any others. In the MMO area you cant really try before you buy in most cases. Or if you can its so restricted that you can truly see the game for all its Bugs and glory!

I commend any company for pushing back or even canceling a game then release trash! It takes a lot of guts to goto the public and say hey you know that game you have been dieing to try . . . Well your gonna have to wait another year.

lakoda
June 21st, 2007, 01:46 PM
God I can't wait for this game! Here's hoping for an '08 release...and a fully feature complete one at that (though I doubt I would skip in if it wasn't, I'm a sucker like that).

On a side note, I'm a software engineer (in the medial software field) and one thing about programmers, it has been my experience that we are horrible at giving estimates. My rule of thumb with estimating software development work, double it. Don't even get me going on QA, they get the short end of the stick usually.

Blah!....'08, '08, '08....pleeeeeaaase! :D

SG_01
June 21st, 2007, 01:48 PM
Well, to start, let me say I'm biassed. I absolutely dislike EA. Especially after having a couple of issues with their customer support.

Anyhow, for this title, I'll give them more credit than for most. Since EA, in my eyes, usually releases titles before they are done (Example: battlefield series).

Next to that, I havn't seen a truely good title from them in years. Not any that are on the EA development team, and neither any with them as master publisher. (Seemingly they're sub-contracted to do regional publishing also, as I found in small text on my Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom box - Which is a real good game btw)

Next to that, their bussiness tactics are seemingly less than propper.

All in all, I hope that this delay is actually a positive thing. Rather than most of their rushed out, 10x copied over games with slight, barely noticable changes.

P.S. Ofcource this last statement is an over generalization, but most of them have at least one or two of these items in there.

Kingrames
June 21st, 2007, 01:57 PM
I don't think it's really delayed indefinitely, that sounds a lot like a misrepresented quote.

I think that a lot of people are responding to this news a little more harshly because it's about a game that we're really looking forward to seeing.

Tainda
June 21st, 2007, 02:06 PM
Awww :( I was really looking forward to this game too.

Intricase
June 21st, 2007, 02:11 PM
Ive been watching the progression of this game for quite some time now (I think beg. of 06'). I think Mr. Wrights idea behind the game is ingenious and would only expect it to be delayed as complicated as it is to design a game that uses strictly algorythems (sp?). 09' is a ways away but definantly already expect good things from this one.

tobalaz
June 21st, 2007, 04:03 PM
After playing Godfather for PC (along with most other typical cross platform titles by EA) I thought their slogan should be:
EA, if it's in the game, it's in the game, and you'll be lucky to get a patch to fix it.
I'm PRAYING Will takes a stand and make sure it's good and done before Spore gets rushed out the door.

Katili
June 21st, 2007, 04:35 PM
I'm quite convinced this game is never going to be released. Though, I hope it is, and soon. I've been dying for it to be out since I first heard of it like... decades ago (or so it feels).

Pojodan
June 21st, 2007, 05:01 PM
I just can't wait to make my own nasty blob-thing!

I do agree, though, that I'd rather play a good nasty blob-thing later than a buggy nasty blob-thing later.

Alamurla
June 21st, 2007, 06:30 PM
I am not a fan of EA games. However the idea of Spore really appeals to me.

Even though Spore isn't a Blizzard game, I do have faith that it will be "ready when its ready". Just as long as we don't have to wait too long. I'll give them another year before I start lambasting it as another Duke Nukem: Forever....

multitaskingmama
June 21st, 2007, 07:54 PM
Cry, I was sooo sad when I heard this. :( I do hope it's due to something simple (getting it to run on windows vista perchance) or at least "known" I'm getting a little worried they do have some significant technical hurdles they can't overcome. The demo by Robin Williams as hosted on youtube (I'm assuming that's for real of course, tho it seemed to be) looked like it was ready to go frankly.

And yeah, thanks for clarifying when their fiscal year begins/ends - that was my first thought, because that can obviously significantly affect the date.

But on the whole, better they push it off now, than the day before release, let's say, or something like that.

Spoon Boy
June 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM
Le sigh. I think I heard about this game when it was first revealed to the public. I ended up watching every scrap of footage and digging up any bit of info about it I could. Everything I found made me drool more and more.

I even forced my friends to each watch a couple hours of this stuff, getting them all hyped up.

Ever since I've been itching to get my hands on it, so badly that by this point it's a nasty rash that I'm starting to think is not going to get the ointment it so desperately needs.

I'd seen the release date and thought, "man, that's far off...but I suppose it'll go faster than I think"... only to see it get bumped back over and over and over again. Just earlier, before hearing this news, I posted on my blog randomly, "FACT: I'M GETTING TIRED OF WAITING FOR SPORE!" Visiting GU and seeing a further-spore-delay comic is just the salt in the wounds. T_T

Sturek
June 21st, 2007, 10:31 PM
Eh, don't understand why games end up this way including ones that would obviously be a good hit. *Cough* Starcraft Ghost *Cough* But than again thats how the world, it never makes sense... *sigh*

Ansuru
June 22nd, 2007, 12:06 AM
EA used to annoy me, especially given the way that they butchered the James Bond games when they took over from Rare.

My opinion of them rose drastically when they pushed back the release of one of the Battlefield 2 expansions in order to focus on fixing existing bugs/exploits in the game before going after the players' wallets...that was a decision made for the good of the game (and I'm certain their wallets reflected the players' appreciation on that) and the next BF game (2142) was quite well done, without any serious serious game-killing issues.

If EA says they're going to let their developers take their time with Spore to get it right, I'm content with that. So far, when they've said such things in the past, they've followed through, unlike some companies I could name. Suffice it to say that my half elf paladin of Tunare still sits, meditating, in his final resting place in the Elemental Plane of Fire, on a cliff overlooking the birds' bridge. Ahh, memories. ^_^

Siska
June 22nd, 2007, 02:06 AM
I hope what's taking so long is them making the AI really really good and belivable.

Of course, if it's gonna take years there is a good chance I will no longer be (as) interested. Long drawn out hypes have that effect on me. Getting nagged about how great some game will be, tends to give me the feeling I have been playing it for years and I'm already bored. Despite having not even tried it. :/

ahac
June 22nd, 2007, 02:54 AM
Many games look great in videos but not many are that good once you play them. That's why it sometimes takes a long time for the game to be released... or a game which looks finished gets canceled. It makes no sense when you see the videos but I'm sure it would make perfect sense if you played it for a couple of days. Just give the developers all the time they need to make a legendary game.
I think Spore wouldn't be canceled like Starcraft: Ghost because that was a console exclusive game and by the time it would be ready for release the old PS2 and xbox would already be history. So Blizzard didn't have much choice there... either release unfinished Starcraft: Ghost and market it as the last big game for previous generation of consoles (like EA would probably do) or cancel it.
On the PC such things can't happen. The hardware doesn't just jump up a generation and ruin all the previous work. :)

alowan
June 22nd, 2007, 03:50 AM
I've been waiting for this game for about 3-4 years now, and I am starting to belive it won't come untill 09... :(

Tsarmina
June 22nd, 2007, 07:27 AM
As long as it is not canceled outright, I'm fine with delay.

johnsocp
June 22nd, 2007, 07:48 AM
Unfortunately the crux of the matter is EA is a publicly traded company. They have to make some declaration to their shareholders when they will realize a profit from the money spent. Shareholders will not accept the attitude it will be done when it is done, stock prices would plummet, the sec would get involved investigations yatta yatta yatta.
The real problem is these financial reports are public information and in an industry where something takes years to create, companies end up making estimates which inevitably fail. Must look good for the shareholders.

Christopher the V
June 22nd, 2007, 07:49 AM
I have always been a Will Wright fan, He is creative and a great asset to the computer gamining industry. I just with they hadn't started leaking out info to get us hooked on it 5 years before it may be released. (I feel so dirty now being lured in like a cheap street walker.)

SPORE is going to be fantastic. I would rather wait for it to come out then never see the light of day. Its such a unique and unusual game. *sigh*. Now what am I going to play for the next 2 years?

Talquin
June 22nd, 2007, 09:09 AM
So what do you think is going to come out first : Duke Nukem or Spore?

Nekojin
June 22nd, 2007, 09:30 AM
Unquestionably Spore will be out first. There's rumors with shaky evidence that Duke Nukem isn't actually being worked on, and it's just an in-house joke at 3D Realms these days.

That said, they have made a press release about it within the past year. Granted, the state of the game hadn't seemed to have made any significant progress since a press release five years ago, but there's still hope. But does the market even care any more?

Oh yeah. While we're at it, where's my Phantom console?

Woody
June 22nd, 2007, 09:38 AM
The Phantom console was scraped with Infinium, now Phantom Entertainment, opting to persue the idea of the gaming service with operating capital being driven by the Phantom Lapboard, which has also failed to materialize despite its relative simplicity.

There's a great article, submitted earlier this month, over at Ars Technica about the whole fiasco: http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/true-infinium-stories-the-73-million-phantom.ars

DashCat9
June 22nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
I remember finding an old gaming magazine and seeing a little news clip about Duke Nukem: Forever. "3d Reals just announced that DN:F will be running on the...Quake II engine!!"

Hehe. I'm thinking SPORE will be out before that mess ever surfaces...Phantom will probably release their Lapboard by then too!

tobalaz
June 22nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
They're probably switching DNF to the most recent Quake or Unreal engine again and have to retool all the artwork, texture and meshes, plus, since it's been so long, add a few extra levels.
Whatever, does it matter?
Remember Daikatana? God I can't forget that one. It's got to be in my top 5 worse games of all time.

Whytewulf
June 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I am really not sure the I would rather them release something good holds true much anymore.. They need to just shut up until they are close..