PDA

View Full Version : Woody is one of Top 14 MMORPG Icons of All Time

Wendelius
June 22nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
http://ambernight.org/2007/06/21/the-top-14-mmorpg-icons-of-all-time

A tongue in cheek entry by Amber. Nice to see Woody mentioned.

Wendelius

Woody
June 22nd, 2007, 12:07 PM
Durn that Smed and his infamy... well, atleast I beat out freakin' Leroy Blahblahblah.

Da_Dude
June 22nd, 2007, 12:40 PM
Wow. Woody beat Leroy. My WoW war cry may have just changed a little bit.

*logs on to WoW. /cough WOOOOOOODY HEEEARRRNNN!

TVs Frank
June 23rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
I realllllly hate Leroy J*****s. It was staged, it was dumb. (and people always forget the real Leroy, the master)

But ummm, interesting list.

Darkov
June 23rd, 2007, 01:13 AM
Nice list, though not sure why the two EQ2 chars are in it.

Nanaki
June 23rd, 2007, 02:14 AM
Firiona Vie, NPC, Everquest. She is literally the MMORPG poster child. Even gamers who have never stepped foot into a virtual world know this is “the Everquest chick.” If there is a single iconic representation of MMORPG’s, she’s it. She’s also a great example of how evil never attacks your midriff, arms, legs, head, or cleavage.

Call me a bit odd, I dont even know who Firiona Vie is, or that there ever was an MMORPG 'poster child'.

naladini
June 23rd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Here are some pictures.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Firiona+Vie&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

EverQuest doesn't get the same level of promotion that it used to, so while longtime MMO players will know Firiona Vie, if you're relatively new to the market/genre, you won't have seen her nearly as much.

BorusWintersong
June 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
Well, Firiona Vie was in the front of every of the first 4 or 5 boxed EverQuest releases (game + expansions) so many came to simply relate her to EQ as the main character and off course, until WoW, EQ WAS the definition of MMO so that naturally lead people to see her as the icon of MMOs.

Nanaki
June 24th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Well, ive been in the genre for a long time, just that ive been living under a rock for a long time. I was with a small-time MMO (Darkspace) For over 6-7 years before I finally decided to move on to other MMOs.

Razorback
June 24th, 2007, 07:13 PM
heheh! If you guys haven't heard of Fansy, give that one a read. Very interesting bard from one of EQ's PK servers.

LordKivlov
June 24th, 2007, 10:58 PM
LOL I just googled the Fansy things. He is my new all time hero haha.

GO GO GOOD GUYS!

Nanaki
June 25th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Fansy is pretty much the ONLY icon from Everquest that I know.

Cobble
June 25th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Firiona Vie to me is a excellent MMORPG icon. Just a picture can send me reeling back to the good ol days.

ancarett
June 26th, 2007, 08:26 PM
That list made me giggle, though they missed one more MMO icon -- "Burned Woods".

Darasen
July 3rd, 2007, 08:28 AM
It would be funny if Ted was higher on the list than Woody.

Laynab
July 4th, 2007, 07:00 AM
A place; Crossroads. EVERY game this far has more or less same themed place... can vary a tad in names but meh, its allways there.

Eriol
July 4th, 2007, 12:29 PM
A place; Crossroads. EVERY game this far has more or less same themed place... can vary a tad in names but meh, its allways there.
The Noob (http://www.thenoobcomic.com/daily/strip225.html) did a comic about this a while ago (though I have no idea if they are the first to do so, as perhaps doing a comic about the crossroads is also inevitable).

Barore
July 7th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Wow, I remember reading those Fansy stories a long long time ago. I completely forgot about them until seeing them just now. Anywho, can't say I necessarily agree with the order everything is in or with every choice there, but a good list all the same.

Keluian
July 7th, 2007, 12:06 PM
kinda a bit sad to not see Mennix on the list. He's the guy who made people realise MMO GM's could do their job right(and thus demanded a higher standard) one of the true heroes of those who ever encountered him.

Cobble
July 9th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Never heard of Mennix, who is he?