PDA

View Full Version : Colors make a statement

DDDancer
December 5th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Does anyone know which colors make which statement?
As in clothing, I remember from a psychology class that some colors you wear make the statement of different moods or personalities.
If you know anything about this, please post.

Velenka
December 5th, 2003, 07:10 PM
I only know about a couple colors.... this is what I gleaned off of my sister, who's currently in school for interior design, and she relayed on to me some info she got from a lecture. So I'm afraid I have no concrete references or links :(

Alot of fast food places use red, orange, and yellow in their signs and decor is because it is supposed to motivated people and make them more active. In, Order, Out.

As for other Pink...there was a prison that was trying to use color theory to reduce the hostility levels of it's inmates. They started with pink... which initially is calming, but turns out it's also an emotional stimulant in some people, so it had the exact OPPOSITE effect they had intended, and after time the violent incidents increased.

Other colors... I guess it depends on the person, and the culture. Red in western culture is usually thought of as aggressive, while in eastern cultures it's a happy color. *shrug*

Hope that helps a little... that's kind of lame for info, heard through the grapevine kind of thing. I would LOVE it if anyone else could provide info :)

Kordesh
December 5th, 2003, 07:24 PM
The color theory only works if you have more than one color in your closet. *throws open his closet revealing the stereotypical repeating set of the same clothes.* Yeah, pretty much EVERYTHING I own is black, or black based.

BlackMage
December 5th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Blue is a calming color, black is a suffocating color for rooms, it also makes you look thinner. White is a expanding color in rooms, and makes you look larger. So if you have alot of white walls, your house will feel open, vice versa for black. Replace color with shade if you care about such things.

Kaylen
December 5th, 2003, 07:36 PM
All my clothes are black. It's really because of the supreme wisdom of Ian Malcom. Or Malcolm.. something.

Tadashya
December 5th, 2003, 07:57 PM
http://www.colorgenics.com/ <-- look here.. maybe they have something that can help you. Some of the tests look really complex.

edit : scratch the part about complex.. I just saw the flash animation and was wooed into thinking they were complex :D

DDDancer
December 5th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the advice and that link is great!
I am wondering which colors make the best
impression like for a job interview or a court case
or any other occasion. I always seem to wear black
and have several black all occasion suits but maybe
a splash of color would make a
better impression.
Thanks for the help! any more suggestions?

MCW
December 5th, 2003, 09:10 PM
hmm, ussually when I look for new people for hire, the best combo that pleases me would be black dress pants and the white dress shirt (ties really help)

If you go all black you bring out that gothic (selfish, dont care type of attidute, do it my way not yours) which makes a very sad first impression and bosses don't like to hire people that will let their invudality interfer with the work place.

Blue shirts are ok I guess, but its always better to go with white, it makes you look bigger like on said, and its a good way to tell how clean someone is, I say these things from expereince, I hope this helps

Takara
December 5th, 2003, 10:55 PM
http://www.weprintcolor.com/moodofcolour.htm

Sorry about the popups... but that site was pretty good.

Velenka
December 5th, 2003, 11:18 PM
For interviews....color is good, but muted ones, like navy, maroon, dark greys, browns, dusty blue. Solid colors, not too much contrast.

For court cases.. I think it would depend on what role I was playing inside the court room :)

Tiladien
December 6th, 2003, 12:52 AM
For court cases.. I think it would depend on what role I was playing inside the court room :)

Just skip the black and white stripes. I'll never make that mistake again.

Woody
December 6th, 2003, 01:39 AM
Blue and green are the colors most commonly associated with progress and success in business.

Black is, of course, dignified and sharp.

Red, however is a standard, and accepted, flash of color.

Takara
December 6th, 2003, 01:40 AM
I was hired (or so the president of my company jokes) because my shirt (it was green) matched their walls.

Tadashya
December 6th, 2003, 05:04 AM
red ties are power ties. My fav suit combonation is a dark charcoal grey suit, a white shirt with barely perceptable stripes and a red tie. I think that looks sharp.

I think its acceptable to ask what to wear for an interview if you are unsure

Kaylen
December 6th, 2003, 05:11 AM
If I ever decide to be employed by someone else (which will likely happen after college) I'd wear "something professional." Certainly not daily clothes. And, just because it's black doesn't mean I purchased it at Hot Topic.

But if it were somewhere less professional, perhaps merely casual clothes - as long as you look clean and sharp. Charisma would matter to be more than colours, as long as they're solid, and not Hawaiin shirts..

I wouldn't really apply for jobs where I wouldn't want to work (fast food, wal-mart, etc) because if I'm not doing something I can enjoy, what's the point? A vast majority of my life will be spent working, so I'd better like it. So.. I don't know what the manager of McDonald's would look for.

And asking what to wear is a good idea, I would've never thought of that.

MCW
December 6th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Ian Malcom was the Choas Theroist on Jurassic Park. he wore all black.

Tadashya
December 6th, 2003, 12:31 PM
having spent several years working in a major aerospace company and seeing pretty much every imaginable suit and tie combo.. I would have to say.. not once ever did I come upon a gentleman with a red tie and consider his political standing.

Symbols, are by definition.. symbolic.

Colors, on the other hand - pull from a more subliminal emotional level. A person would have to have a base emotional reaction to the color to have that kind of deep reaction. And, those kinds of reactions are also associated with some kind of trauma sometimes even completely tangent to the situation.

Velenka
December 6th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Heh. If you go to a job interview and don't get the job, there is probably a pretty good reason for it that does not involve the color of your clothes. It could be because your eye contact sucks, your social skills suck, you don't have enough work experience, you look like the interviewer's ex, you don't know how to sell your skills, etc. etc.. the color of your clothes doesn't mean squat, really.

And back on subject... I was looking around and I found these websites. Some of the info is contradictory, and all of it contradicts what I wrote in my first post (well, "three" supports what I posted, and is the most extensive information source), but take what you will:

one (http://library.thinkquest.org/27066/psychology/nlcolorpsych.html?tqskip1=1&tqtime=1206)
two (http://www.infoplease.com/spot/colors1.html)
three (http://www.colormatters.com)

Kaylen
December 6th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Yep.. and Ian Malcom wasn't gothic and angsty.

Back onto the topic, basically, "What Velenka said."

Keiran
December 6th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Blue. Calmness. Serenity. Soothing my hyperactive mind. o_0 So... yeah, I favor blue too, for formal or informal occasions.

rimedragona
December 6th, 2003, 09:21 PM
I like green. ^_^ It's pretty, and it is the same color as my birthstone. And money is green. ^_^ And green is assciated with growth, and nature, and health, and success. ^_^ WHEE!!!

Serresrelic
December 6th, 2003, 09:28 PM
Green is also the color associated with envy.

DDDancer
December 6th, 2003, 09:29 PM
I guess the winning votes are for blue and green.
Thanks for your help and the links!

MCW
December 6th, 2003, 09:32 PM
I wish you luck in whatever your dressing up for.

Woody
December 6th, 2003, 11:53 PM
This thread has been painstakingly editted for it's ignorance.

Derailment, intentional or otherwise, is now a board no no. If I read a thread and determine that it has been derailed... I will warn the thread. From that point on, anyone that adds to the derailment will be banned for 1 month.

I will take this time, to let MCW know: You're on my short list and are looking at a looming ban stick. Clean up your act, or find somewhere else to post.

Ciarin
December 7th, 2003, 12:40 AM
My favourite color is also Green. I like it cause it can be earthy, regal, and casual.

Velenka
December 7th, 2003, 12:53 AM
I'm a big fan of red :) For almost two decades it was baby blue, though. Maybe I feel the need to seek contrasts? *shrug*

Iiliani Seadream
December 8th, 2003, 10:09 AM
Something about blue I have always liked, not as dark as black or brown, but not as bright as red....
I am a medium person I guess.
Not baby blue or navy blue, deep blue colours.
Patterns are supposed similar to colours in providing effects, horizontal striped wallpaper makes your room look lower ceilinged, vertical stripes make it look higher ceilinged, etc