PDA

View Full Version : What about Neverwinter Nights?

Talloak
December 8th, 2003, 09:05 PM
How about some Nerwinter Nights material? The game is mostly baldur's gate-ish, but the online servers in evolving worlds are nice, and is great for EQ-burnouts like myself. Lots of other real players but with better graphics and game play in my opinion.

Good game for the mmorpg crowd, especially with the expansions.

Just a thought, since Sony isn't getting any wiser soon.

cheers

December 8th, 2003, 09:07 PM
who makes neverwinter nights?

Talloak
December 8th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Bioware does. I got burned out on EQ, and this game kept my fantasy-realm social interactions alive without it being the stupid grind that EQ is now.

cheers

Radical Edward
December 8th, 2003, 09:15 PM
The Bioware NWN site can be found Here. (http://nwn.bioware.com/)

I myself play on a server running The Silver Marches. (http://www.silvermarches.com/)

I've never played the NWN story campain all the way through, I have more fun playing mods and building my own. I have one mod I've been kicking around for about 1/2 a year. I got the main quest I wanted it to have done but I just keep adding on to it.

Wolf
December 8th, 2003, 09:18 PM
My friend's spanish teacher plays that game all the time. He plays during class and lets the students just sit there. Too bad im taking french instead. Well it kind of looked liek a cross between Diablo and this other game I played and i cant remember the name.

Kaylen
December 9th, 2003, 02:58 AM
Raven and I have been having nightly sessions, playing through the Shadows of Undrentide campaign.. which, in my opinion, is far superior to the original (which bored me to tears) and in a few days we should hopefully be conquering Hordes of the Underdark.

It's a really good game, I just get frustrated with most online mods because I know I could do better. I just don't know if I want to invest the kind of time. But we won't get into how much I want to beat Herner Klenthur to death with a rusty metal oar.

I used to play on Anchordeep (http://www.anchordeep.net) because a.. friend played on it, and we role played rather well - within a week widely known and regarded as the best on the server, which was kind of odd. But it fails in the actual gameplay; it's not fun and it's very tedious to do anything.

So I'll be playing official stuff until I make my own or find a really good one. I wish they'd start working on Witch's Wake again..

EvilIguana966
December 9th, 2003, 04:07 AM
HotU was great... until chapter 2 where it stopped working for me *sigh*. I really like the UnderDark setting though, its one of my favorite places in D&D.

Jishia
December 10th, 2003, 10:48 AM
How can the sequel to Baldur's Gate be regarded as "Baldur's Gate-esque" same company, same universe, different campaign and region.

FuzzyBear
December 10th, 2003, 11:02 AM
are the expansions worth the money?

I bought two copies of the original, and was sorely dissapointed when I went to Multiplayer.

For me, the scaling seemed off.

I had no hope of garnering enough power to form an effective personal motivation.

Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, and the lot appealed to me because I could cheat creatively. I'm more of a puzzle-type game fan, in a lot of ways, and I'd rather solve the in-game quests of any given game rather than reload saves until i find the "right way" to do an encounter.

NWN in the first version felt like it was focusing on the rules, instead of the plot.

I might be semi-unique because , for the most part, i only do this sort of game when my net conn is unavailable, but I would welcome any advice/hints/tips/game reccomendations you could offer.

The Game made a very strong conceptual impression on me. I'm still loathe to abandon it, but I'm too busy to devote true time.

(sidhebear@hotmail.com)

Thanks guys.

QalmeSolkiss
December 11th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Neverwinter nights is not the Sequal to Bauldar's Gate, Bauldar's Gate ii is the sequel to Bauldars gate. Black Isle was the dev and publishers on those 2 games, not Bioware. on top of it, NwN is based on 3rd edition rules, not 2nd Like bauldars gate or Icewind Dale. (I believe icewind dale 2 is on 3rd edition, though i haven't palyed it so I can't really say)

I got the Feeling that the 1st Campaign Module that shipped with the original NwN was based more around showing what people could do with the tool set than it was about giving people a "Great" game. Neverwinter nights has never really been about playing by yourself; It was originally concieved as An online or network platform on wich to play adventuers electroniclly with friends or the masses... and It accomplishes that job very well.

It takes considerable effort to put together adventure modules that are anything more than Hack and slash... I know, I've made a couple in my time. Programming a persistant world that lives and breathes is an even more daunting task. One must Show everyone something diffrent and new every time they log on... and let them do anything they want within the world, As well as providing all the elements of structured adventures, while maintaining the "balance" of advancement vs. content...

iIf you would like to try my Attempt At such a world, send me a PM. we currently have a server running with a world Developed under the original toolset, Running SoU, with no plans to upgrde to HoTU unless there is a Legitimate reason. (public outcry, etc.) we currently have a custom made Tradeskill system, banking system, and Portal system, as well as some intresting other features... send me A PM with questions, etc.

Qalme

Kaylen
December 11th, 2003, 01:07 PM
SoU and HotU are very much worth the money to me, for the amazing plot alone. The original bored me so much I stopped playing after the first chapter.

Not to mention the epic levels, prestige classes, and other fun additions.

Sending you a PM, Qalme..

Kat
December 11th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Kaylen, I installed HoU last night, and I'll be installing SoU tonight so I can crash your NWN sessions with Raven. :D

Kaylen
December 11th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Woo. That'd be awesome. If you play up to.. hmm.. I'd have to check where we are, but I think we're just starting in the Gnoll Caves.. yeah, if you play up to there, level 3, you should be able to integrate with us easily.

Jishia
December 11th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Okay, I had games crossed..
Commence the Stoning! but seriouslly Neverwinter is so worth it if you like D&D

Cobble
December 11th, 2003, 04:10 PM
I am playing through SoU with a pale master before moving on to HoU. I am having a blast. Go Pale face!

FuzzyBear
December 11th, 2003, 04:16 PM
(snip) I got the Feeling that the 1st Campaign Module that shipped with the original NwN was based more around showing what people could do with the tool set than it was about giving people a "Great" game.(/snip)

That's the way I felt. I even had GREAT ideas for what to do with the toolset, and spent something like 200 hours over 4 months working on my vision, but I *SUCK* at C coding. I liked the versatility of the toolset, but it just wasn't user-friendly enough for me. The speech scripting triggers were particularly harsh, IMO.

Kat
December 11th, 2003, 11:20 PM
/pout
I made a druid but I'm too good and I'm in danger of not being able to progress as a druid. I've never been a druid in D&D rules. Have druids always had to be X / Neutral?

Coffee
December 11th, 2003, 11:35 PM
Any neutral combination, whether it is neutral good, chaotic/neutral/lawful neutral, or neutral evil. Any of those should be valid as long as there is a neutral element.

QalmeSolkiss
December 11th, 2003, 11:41 PM
Nah... they used to have to be TRUE nuetral wich means Neutral Neutral... niether Caotic nor lawful, niether good nor evil... A druid is amoung the hardest character classes to RP right, and are essentially only allowed to "adventure" when there is a direct threat to the wood they protect and a need for them to eliminate it. bleh, talk about a boring class! (read RA salvatore's Cleric quintet for Some examples on the Druid Mind set... Pickel Bouldershoulder gets it just about right! DOODAD!)

Q

Coffee
December 11th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Dwarf doodads rock!

Kat
December 12th, 2003, 04:57 AM
There is also a dwarven wizard NPC in this adventure and I was like. . .

< blink - blink >

A dwarf. . . and then. . . with the magic. . . huh?

But yeah, the only alignment choices available were Neutral. Like Lawful Neutral, True Neutral, Chaotic Neutral. I'm thinking I'll re-roll a character and be my usual alignment Chaotic Good.

PS - I must have missed a lot since the last time I played D&D, which was probably some time in 1988. Stupid 15 years, makin' it hard on me to play! :P

EvilIguana966
December 12th, 2003, 07:49 AM
I played through NWN first OC with a druid, really good class for OC at least (OC = Official Campaign). Make a neutral character with maxed (17 is best) wisdom, and decent con and maybe str if you have any extra points. Raise your wis when possible, get some spellcasting feats like spell focus, maximize, empower and such. Summon some pets, feel free to buff em, and nuke like hell. Call lighting ownz, and doesnt hurt friendlies.

On the subject of a Dwarven Mage..... Wait till chapter 2 in HotU and you'll meet a very interesting floating skull *grin*

Aruut
December 15th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Neverwinter nights is not the Sequal to Bauldar's Gate, Bauldar's Gate ii is the sequel to Bauldars gate. Black Isle was the dev and publishers on those 2 games, not Bioware. on top of it, NwN is based on 3rd edition rules, not 2nd Like bauldars gate or Icewind Dale. (I believe icewind dale 2 is on 3rd edition, though i haven't palyed it so I can't really say)

I got the Feeling that the 1st Campaign Module that shipped with the original NwN was based more around showing what people could do with the tool set than it was about giving people a "Great" game. Neverwinter nights has never really been about playing by yourself; It was originally concieved as An online or network platform on wich to play adventuers electroniclly with friends or the masses... and It accomplishes that job very well.

It takes considerable effort to put together adventure modules that are anything more than Hack and slash... I know, I've made a couple in my time. Programming a persistant world that lives and breathes is an even more daunting task. One must Show everyone something diffrent and new every time they log on... and let them do anything they want within the world, As well as providing all the elements of structured adventures, while maintaining the "balance" of advancement vs. content...

iIf you would like to try my Attempt At such a world, send me a PM. we currently have a server running with a world Developed under the original toolset, Running SoU, with no plans to upgrde to HoTU unless there is a Legitimate reason. (public outcry, etc.) we currently have a custom made Tradeskill system, banking system, and Portal system, as well as some intresting other features... send me A PM with questions, etc.

Qalme

Hope I am not bumping this too far up but I wanted to comment, if there is anyone who even remotely plays NWN this world is worth looking into, hung out there a good part of the weekend, there is a lot to see and it is all very original material. Would be unfortunate to miss it by just not taking a look. I am sure that Qalme would be happy to distribute the IP and if not I would get it out too, just send me a PM