PDA

View Full Version : CONGEALED Monkey Ass! (12/10)

Woody
December 10th, 2003, 01:56 AM
I've gotten a lot of emails recently telling me that the graphics in EQ:OA (http://www.everquestonlineadventures.com) have been improved upon with the "Frontiers" expansion.

Now, I'm not saying they're great or anything, but they ARE better. Sadly though, after looking at some screenshots (http://everquestonlineadventures.station.sony.com/screenshots.jsp), they're only a small step up from liquid monkey ass.

And in my book, a small step up from liquid monkey ass is congealed monkey ass. Not quite liquid anymore, but not quite solid monkey ass either.

So yeah. Discuss.

Ciarin
December 10th, 2003, 02:02 AM
ew.

Gnomish
December 10th, 2003, 02:03 AM
rofl

Velenka
December 10th, 2003, 02:07 AM
I'm impressed with the illustrations all over the EQ:OA page. They're quite pretty :) That given.. I mean I don't know what goes into a PS2 online game, but I know that the non-online PS2 games can boast much, much better graphics than that..

Ivaar Forkbeard
December 10th, 2003, 02:23 AM
I really like the new graphics... And I think I've come quite close to dropping regular eq in favor of OA for the time being at least. It doesn't seem so grindish to me and there have been some big improvements. Origionally I had considered OA to be a pretty big flop, but now I see why it is filling its niche... I'm glad to see that SOE is really standing behind their product on this one and improving things. But, yeah... congealed monkey ass compared to eq2 =P

Nosferatu
December 10th, 2003, 02:40 AM
While they are no means "great", I don't find them to be all that bad. It may be, however, the fact that it's on a console platform, and especially PS2. I have very little console experience to know what is considered good and what's not.

And, for myself, graphics aren't that important.

KiTA
December 10th, 2003, 02:48 AM
heh, first time I've done a spit-take in front of my monitor since, well, since I read the entire GU archives in a day. ;)

DaMrac
December 10th, 2003, 02:55 AM
looks better but EQ:OA is still crap in my opinion. rather play the original EQ!! or better yet!! FFXI! than EQ:OA

lionfire
December 10th, 2003, 03:12 AM
I demand a Ted contributor image!

Well.... Not really demand.. more like wishing for one. :)

Grey_Bishop
December 10th, 2003, 03:42 AM
Congealed...

Well, at least it will stay in a pile instead of running all over the place.

Shiach_gaidin
December 10th, 2003, 03:43 AM
LOL, funny even for it being really really late, and everything happens to be funny at this hour.

Kat
December 10th, 2003, 06:11 AM
I had hoped to never hear "congealed" and "ass" in the same sentence.
Funny comic Woody.

I kind of agree with Nos, the graphics don't look too bad. But I think the system is capable of more, yet I don't know how much "overhead" the online element takes. Maybe that's the sacrifice to streamline the "lag" and "slideshow" feel of some places in other MMORPG.

Can anyone who plays it verify if it gets laggy consistantly in certain situations, or is it relatively smooth?
Is it worth the graphics hit?

Or am I way off?

Grimlok
December 10th, 2003, 06:32 AM
I played that game for quite a long time(pre frontiers). It does play pretty smoothly unless you hit a huge crowd of people. One of the things that may have made them comprimise on graphics is that there are no seperate zones. You walk from one zone to the next with no load time. It sucks in a way because you can't run to zone to lose creatures but I kind of like the zonless system better because it's a bit more realistic. Some of the new graphics I like and some i don't. I played a troll in the original and I looked somewhat tough and mean with frontiers I just looked goofy. And don't even get me started on the gnomes.

ancarett
December 10th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Grimlok's right -- the gameplay decision of a zoneless world does seem to have an impact on the graphics. We play a lot of PS2 games here and they can do amazing graphics, but usually that seems to come with arena-style games (SoulCalibur) or zoned games.

But for me, graphics are so important to a game (it's hard to feel immersed when your avatar looks choppy) that I can't get into EQOA or the expansion. Definitely congealed monkey ass!

Naelaen
December 10th, 2003, 07:13 AM
It's probably because zone games can pre-cache textures and monsters etc so in general the game can either run smoother, or handle more detailed textures without having to worry about changing textures on the go.

Personally I feel the graphics don't look all that bad. I mean in comparison to many current PS2 games they are our slightly solid mass of primate rear end but they're not exactly hideous. Then again I haven't played the game and am only going off the screenshots.

Miaugi
December 10th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Ok Sony needs to put this out on xbox and then it will be a vast improvement in graphics, a lot closer to what eq is like. Aside from that, I still see this game as Kiddie EQ, great for the tweens and teens, sux for people who don't want cartoonish graphics to play a game with.

Bisuketto
December 10th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Congealed monkey ass.... sounds like a dessert.

I do have to admit the graphis are better.

FuzzyBear
December 10th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Personally, I'd rather play console games.
But I can't afford switching consoles every 18 months.

I'm willing to learn to tweak files for minor modification if I can have more options while I learn that 12 buttons is now equal to 104.

I still play and enjoy Perfect Dark on my N64 semi-regularly, but at the moment, it's cheaper for me to upgrade my PC than it is for me to buy a console.

I adore the feel of a controller, regardless of how it's laid out, but, being a geek, I'm willing to sacrifice layout and function in order to customize my experience.

Thank you EQ.

*shrug*

Vicious
December 10th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Yeah it's a lot of the older areas that really didn't get much of an improvement.

It's the new areas, that mixed with the fog, and dense, dense foliage where you get better graphics....but also more framerate issues.

But the graphic part of it I could care less about.

The new race, class and CM system is sooooo nice.

It's great being able to modify your taunt to life tap at level 10. :D

Takara
December 10th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Heehee... A Ted Desktop.. *giggles*

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 10th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Is it just me, or does that Jrtog guy in the first screenie under Adventure look like he's constipated?

December 10th, 2003, 06:39 PM
I didn't think a Ps2 could pull decent graphics to begin with, then when I opened mine and noticed this huge gap where you can add stuff goes, I was like wow!

anyways, any graphics improvent is better than none, I forgot the comic guys name "the one in the comic" but its nice to see him again. I miss the days, when he was always on the comp, guess times change.

Naelaen
December 11th, 2003, 05:13 AM
That'd be Woody's drawn sidekick, flatmate and constant player of EQ Ted :D

TalonNYC
December 11th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Ah, the graphics are better than the original EQ for the PC, but yes, still monkey ass.

Meanwhile, the interesting ability to nail tall creatures with lightning to the crotch continues to be childishly hillarious.

Don't believe me, check out the screenshot with the Fire Giant under "Adventurers" in Woody's link.

Naelaen
December 11th, 2003, 08:46 AM
ROFL! Hadn't noticed that :lol:

Bashadorf
December 11th, 2003, 04:11 PM
I read the first part of this one and thought "Have I read this one before?" but then read the rest and laughed a good bit, nice one