PDA

View Full Version : Absor shouts: "DING!"

Maeven
December 10th, 2003, 03:16 PM
From EQLive, Dev's Corner http://eqlive.station.sony.com/community/dev_view.jsp?id=59839

Time for a Change
I was hired as Community Relations Manager for EverQuest just over three years ago, in October of 2000. I have to admit that the last three years have been the most entertaining three years of work I've ever had. I've had a great time getting to know the EverQuest community. It's been a great pleasure of meet many of you at Fan Faire, through email, and on message boards. Your enthusiasm for EverQuest is outstanding, and I appreciate everything that enthusiasm means.

Some folks have claimed that being Community Relations Manager for a huge product like EverQuest is a thankless job, and one that they wouldn't wish on their worst enemy. I disagree. I still have some great emails and letters that customers have sent to us, thanking us for the fun they've had in EverQuest. I've had one on display in my office for over a year, and I'm very proud of each of them.

I've enjoyed every minute that I've had this job. I want to thank you all for playing the game and for engaging me every day. I appreciate that you take us to task when we're wrong and that you appreciate the things we do well. Thanks.

I also wanted to thank the EverQuest Live team, past and present. I've had the honor of working with some of the best in the business. Thanks.

But I'm only praising the EQLive team because I have to. It's just practical to butter them up, since I'm to be one of them now. The folks here at SOE have offered me a chance to be a game designer, and I'm going to give it a try. It's one of those undeniably exciting things, to tell people that you make games for a living. I'm incredibly pleased to be given this opportunity.

So my official title is now Game Designer, and you'll probably be hearing a lot less from me in the future. With my well-honed Community Management skills, I can guess your next question: "Who will be taking your place?"

We've been lucky in that regard. We managed to snag one of the hardest-working, most experienced and silliest people in the company. Alan Crosby, also known as Brenlo Bixiebopper, is the new Community Relations Manager for EverQuest. Not only is he a great guy, but he has a great name (the Alan part, not the Bixiebopper part). Also, in the odd tradition of EQ Community Relations Managers, he also has a nice alpha-loot handle.

Enough from me. I now yield the floor to Alan so he can introduce himself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well thanks for the kind words Alan; you never say anything that nice to me in person!

I know that Alan (the other Alan) will be greatly missed and I can never hope to fill his shoes. He has a wry sense of humor and a comfortable writing style that many of you have enjoyed for some time now. Thanks for all you have done Alan, and I know you will be successful adding new content to the game you have been so deeply involved with for the last 3 years.

So a little about me. My title for nearly the last 2 years has been Customer Service Manager for our EQ games. Prior to that I was a Lead Game Master, a Game Master and at one point long ago, a Guide and Senior Guide. I have been playing EQ since it released, and involved with its community since shortly thereafter. I have met many of you at Fan Faires and through correspondence, and I look forward to getting to know many more of you in the weeks and months ahead.

So change has brought me here to share time with you, the EverQuest Community. I feel that the greatest reason EQ has been so successful for so long is because of you and your passion for this game. I encourage you to continue to share your passion with me, in constructive ways, and I will bring your thoughts, feelings and concerns to the EQLive team. I guarantee that you will be heard. Please remember that we all have our own ideas of how the game should be and they may not all be implemented or even considered (I for one feel that Halflings should rule Norrath, for some reason the Dev team is not with me on this).

Thanks for your time and thanks for being a part of Norrath!

Someone at TNZ coined teh Absor DING! comment, and suggested that since the Absor SMASH! is now a thing of history, we might have the Brenlo BASH! to look forward too :D

~Mae

Pike Tha Blodd
December 10th, 2003, 03:19 PM
man, i was just reading this over a monkly business. i dont know what to say, but i feel sad

Raven00x
December 10th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Hasbro is cool, definately going to miss him. But avant! into the world of game design! should be interesting to see what he can do.

Dark Tyger
December 10th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Or just the more handle-appropriate Brenlo Bop. >< Never directly interacted with Bren, but I hear he's a great guy.

Naelaen
December 10th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Looks like he came up through the ranks too, Guide, senior guide, GM and Lead GM. Interesting is definatly the word :)

So let me get this straight, Absor is now becoming lead designer? Echos of Planetside's SmokeJumper spring to mind (not quite the same but...) :)

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 10th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Brenlo SMASH? This will take getting used to.

HabsroEQ
December 10th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Brenlo is a great guy, and he's more than qualified for the job. You'll like him.

I only changed jobs so Woody could work on some new EQ material based on Brenlo. :)

A

Naelaen
December 10th, 2003, 04:20 PM
You know he'll still find some material of you for his comics :P

Takara
December 10th, 2003, 04:21 PM
*giggles* I don't know whether to congratulate you on being thrown to the development side or be afraid for you.

I still remember the days back on the Avault NewsGroup that you used to post on, Alan.

I can hope you take your great ideas into design and are able to show us great things!

Ciarin
December 10th, 2003, 04:26 PM
gratz Absor

Brenlo
December 10th, 2003, 04:33 PM
and I am sure he will have no problem coming up with interesting new subjects to turn into his great comic and destroy my already fragile ego. Hehe

I look forward to chatting with all of you!

Brenlo Bixiebopper

Ciarin
December 10th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Gratz Brenlo aussi

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 10th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Grats to both of you :)

Raven00x
December 10th, 2003, 04:43 PM
aw, nerts. no name spelling mess ups that we can poke fun at :(

Min the Druid
December 10th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Grats, Absor.

I will miss having you in the explainations department, but feel rather confident in your ability to improve the game as a designer. The fact that you have been in such close contact with the EQ playerbase over the last few years should give you a unique insight. I hope you'll continue to browse the forum?

Nice to meet you, Brenlo, sounds like you'll do just fine filling in.

Kudane
December 10th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Yea Brenlo is a great guy.... Met him at Fanfaire in March and E3 in May.... very down to Earth, I like him alot!

/bow

Sumamael
December 10th, 2003, 05:06 PM
but...but....now I have to rename my Absor woodoo doll, not fair! :shock:

Bisuketto
December 10th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Good going A, will be wierd at first not hearing statements from sony from you, but Benlo should grow on people.

Grats to both of you.

Oh,...

Absor i'm looking forward to seeing a game made by you that allows me to ABSOR SMASH. =p

Dark Tyger
December 10th, 2003, 05:51 PM
but...but....now I have to rename my Absor woodoo doll, not fair! :shock:

If you just called it "Alan" in the first place, you wouldn't have that problem. ;)

Cougarshand
December 10th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Best of Luck, Abs, and thanks for all you've done for the EQ community!! And I must say, it's VERY cool that Brenlo hopped right on, registered on this site, and posted. Sorta like a rather nice passing of the torch . . . good on yer, Bren!! Welcome!

Naryn
December 10th, 2003, 06:35 PM
/salute Absor

Best wishes, you'll be missed.

Lirren
December 10th, 2003, 07:01 PM
While I'm delighted for Hasbro's opportunity, I must admit I'm terribly sad to see him go. You've got some awfully big shoes to fill there, Bren. But welcome to chaos!

Ciarin
December 10th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Are you saying Alan has big feet?

Brenlo
December 10th, 2003, 07:03 PM
I think Absor usually wears clown shoes so yes I will have a hard time filling them. I plan to use newspaper as filler.

:shock:

Thanks for the welcome.

Catila Amano
December 10th, 2003, 07:05 PM
[spoiler:5dadb15a4a]Hmm, we have to come up with some kind of initiation ceremony for Brenlo. Since he's spelled his name properly, we can't point and laugh at him like we did with AbsroEQ. So anyone else have any ideas? :D[/spoiler:5dadb15a4a]
I wish you luck, Absor, and I'm jealous of you -- I want your (new) job. ;)

And welcome aboard Brenlo. Don't read that spoiler up there. It doesn't pertain to you. Nope, not at all! :lol:

Ciarin
December 10th, 2003, 07:06 PM
LOLIMM

Keiran
December 10th, 2003, 07:07 PM
[spoiler:3f8d1a7213]We'll just have to call him Olnerb/Bernlo/Benlor since he didn't include any spelling mistakes of his own.[/spoiler:3f8d1a7213]

Shiach_gaidin
December 10th, 2003, 07:11 PM
grats to both of you, hope u have fun at ur new posts:)

Satarus
December 10th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Grats Absor on your promotion, I wonder how long it will take for people to stop blaming you for stuff and start blaming brenlo. I know i still hear remarks about VI and they haven't had anything to do with EQ in a long while.

Cantatus
December 10th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Grats Absor and Brenlo. Hope to see more of both of you in the future. :)

Ciarin
December 10th, 2003, 07:19 PM
[spoiler:7028f7511e]oh and we can call him BrenBren, or LoLo[/spoiler:7028f7511e]

Tiladien
December 10th, 2003, 07:37 PM
I was thinking Buylow

Satarus
December 10th, 2003, 07:40 PM
LoLo, wasn't that a puzzle game for the original 8-bit nintendo?

Darley Marilith
December 10th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Cheers to you both while you take that step down your new paths. I hope they will take you where you wish to go.

Oh and its really not as insane here as you might think. *smirk*

KiTA
December 10th, 2003, 09:01 PM
LoLo, wasn't that a puzzle game for the original 8-bit nintendo?

Yes it was. And oh man was it hard. :) I loved it. You don't see games like that anymore, unfortunately. Too many MTV gamers who would flip at a simple game like that.

Ciarin
December 10th, 2003, 09:05 PM
TROGDOR!!

that game is awesomest.

They should put Trogdor in EQ and DAoC

Coffee
December 10th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Conga Rats Chew Lations to ye both.
I don't really make the time to play eq these days, but I still try to follow the occurances just in case I get back into it.

Velenka
December 10th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Out of the frying pan and into the fire! :twisted:

Seriously though, congratulations to both of you for your promotions, and I wish you the best of luck in your new careers.

Woody
December 10th, 2003, 11:13 PM
He shall, from this point on, be referred to as BrilloPad.. because he's coarse and abbrasive. **rolls his eyes**

Funny the last thing I remember seeing from Crosby was... throwing ones at some guy he'd coaxed into giving us all a table dance.

Ciarin
December 10th, 2003, 11:28 PM
LOL @ BrilloPad!!!!

good choice of coarse.....

Jishia
December 10th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Brenlo Bixiebopper!

Sorry, but I cannot accept Alan 2.0 unless one of these Faces: ( :D or :cry: )
are used to represent good or bad changes in each of his Posts.

Nosferatu
December 11th, 2003, 01:41 AM
Congratulations, Alan.

Wow, that was easy...got 'em both with one line.

Seriously, though, you'll be missed Absor, even though I only got to see you here and not on Everlore (stay away, really, you don't ever want to go there).

Brenlo, from what you've made available as to your background, it'll be a pleasure passing on your words to the Everlorians. And, frankly, if Kudane says you're a good guy, and Woody seems to like you, you are already pretty high up in my book.

Undraxis
December 11th, 2003, 02:03 AM
BOO, not to disparage the INC Brenlo, but im gonna miss absor.....any way we can convince him to skip sleep and do both EQ relations and game design? :P

Jishia
December 11th, 2003, 02:11 AM
We can have Sony set up a Paypal account specificlly designed as a Fund Raiser, and once they raise $10,000 they can pay to hook Absor up with a Caffiene Siv and a Bio Suit so he can Game Design and co-CR with Brenlo!

Shadowdragoon
December 11th, 2003, 03:44 AM
I am late as usual..
Congratulations Absor and Brenlo.
its sad to see you leave Customer Relations. ponders on what games Absor will make.
good luck Brenlo.
*Edited out some errors*

Merdakai
December 11th, 2003, 05:18 AM
Absor, I only ask one thing of you man... please... please make a great necro friendly zone.... better than Veksar...

And 'BrilloPad' .... please put a stop to nerfing necros and start nerfing druids lol

grats to both of you though :twisted:

Iiliani Seadream
December 11th, 2003, 05:31 AM
Start nerfing druids?? Haven't they been beaten up enough already?? :cry:

Congratulations to both of you, will miss Absor, but this is a good move for him. I am glad everyone there seems to enjoy their job so much. :)

*chases after that elusive thing called job satisfaction*

FuzzyBear
December 11th, 2003, 06:25 AM
JesusGodJohnIrving.

For about 15 seconds, I was terrified that it was a resignation letter.

I look forward to seeing what both of you do in your newfound positions.

Newspaper. Haha.

That's good enough to be a sig line.

Dravvan
December 11th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Well, since I'm only now seeing Absor and Brenlo both achieving "Ding" status (this is what happens when EQ, followed by sleep, does to ya) :) I wish them both well. Gratz to you both.

Catila Amano
December 11th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Woody, thanks for coming up with the new name for Brenlo and for the initiation ceremony idea. ;)

*starts throwing French Francs at BrilloPad so that he DOESN'T dance on the tables* :D

Brenlo
December 11th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Brillopad? Course and Abrasive. LOL.. I can live with that.

I have no knowledge of this alleged table dance but I do seem to remember a collapsing table and having to catch a dancer...See I was a hero!

Brillopad the Hero :D

Woody
December 11th, 2003, 11:22 AM
SURE!!! remember the saving of the falling dancer, but not the dancing itself. I see how it is.

Can we expect your actions as community manager to follow that same kind of example?

**grins**

Catila Amano
December 11th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Working as intended.

Velenka
December 11th, 2003, 01:23 PM
The classes are pretty much balanced. :twisted:

*scampers off*