PDA

View Full Version : Money -- How does it work in other games?

FuzzyBear
December 1st, 2003, 07:39 AM
In EverQuest, you start with none, and build up from there. Spell components are several platinum each but not all spells require them, a full suit of mid-game equiptment can easily run you 10000pp (using the /testbuff equiptment as an example). There is no player housing available. Having 1 million pp in the bank is quite rare. (maybe 10% of server population if i were to hazard a guess)

In Ultima Online, you start with 1000 gold, and making money is fairly rapid. Spell components cost 2 - 5 gold each, and you need 1 - 4 of them for every spell you cast. A full suit of mid-game equiptment costs 3000-5000 gold, but wears out over time. Player Housing is mostly available used only, and runs between 100,000 - to 100 million based on location and size. Having 100 million in the bank is comparable to 1 million pp in EQ.

Can anyone elaborate on SWG, AO, DAoC, or FFXI?

Kaerou
December 1st, 2003, 07:58 AM
in FFXI you start with 50 gil i think.. or was it 10. Anyway, you have a little but you cant buy a peanut with it.

You get your nations signet and kill.. killing with the signet on raises your ranking points and your nations effect on an area you kill in (but aso loses the same if you die). While you have signet on you can gain 'crystals' from the enemies you kill. You need these crystals to do ATS type things, or better, you can sell them to high level players.

High level players buy these crystals for a few hundred gil singly, or a few thousand for a stack of 12.. some crystals are rarer and get you more gil.

In short.. getting crystals and auctioning them gets you silly rich even at low levels. Woeking at it a day can get you a set of equipment (whether you can ctually use it at your level is another matter)

Bad thing about FFXI: everything has a level cap.. and it takes ages to level after 5 or so. You start off fghitng rabits with opion peelers (no joke). and you end up.. foghitng stronger rabits. then stronger rabbits.. then i quit. You go from onion peelers to copper pimp sticks/swords to bronze pimp sticks/swords and i got tired of not bieng able to get descent equipment despite having the money.. and fighting rabbits and sheep, so i quit.

Pike Tha Blodd
December 1st, 2003, 08:19 AM
In DAoC you still start from scratch, you get nothing on creation, but they have a money lvl above plat, its a mithril, or mith. Now their system has a sever money pit in it, by nature of the game, your weapons and equip wear out with use, depending on lvl they can wear out really fast (if high lvl gear on low lvl char). The system is supposed to kill the twink factor and create a high demand for player-crafting, which it kinda sorta does, it also creates major aggrevation when your favorite weapon or armor that you faught your butt over breaks on ya, cuz ya cant get it re-forged anymore.....but yeah, anyway so you are constantly buying more and more gear, so to see someone with a single plat, yes SINGLE, only 1, is not common, and those that have 10 plat are down right Rockerfellers, i have never met anyone with a Mith that could prove it

think about that when you throw down 200 plat on a platinum fire wedding ring

FuzzyBear
December 1st, 2003, 08:53 AM
My Fiancee's little brother and his guild threw together everything they had after WEEKS of farming for several hours a day, just prior to the housing release.

I think there were a total of 7 or 8 hardcore players, and they managed to come up with just over 5 plat.

They ended up quitting shortly after houses and went to SWG, and now they're on FF somewhere.

Satarus
December 1st, 2003, 09:12 AM
Yeah, i think SoE really kind of screwed high end players over by making everything no drop. Now the few highish end mobs that actually have droppable loot (AoW) are now just greed killed and their loot gets sold. If a a lot of tier 2 mobs had dropable loot, we could actually buy more than just EP tradeskill stuff and ornate armor.

Kaylen
December 1st, 2003, 09:20 AM
In SWG, you start out with 250 credits, and making them is easy. Missions usually get you a thousand credits at a low skill level, and there are mission terminals for non-combat professions. Eventually you can group with your friends and head out to "adventure" planets, and get up to 40k a mission. Selling resources and crafted items can also pay off quick. You could have over a million credits if you wanted, and it's not that rare. Money isn't that hard a thing to make. A million credits is probably like 1k plat, but with a lot more buying power.

Trastero
December 1st, 2003, 09:26 AM
SWG: You start with 250credits (I think) It's enought to train a couple of new skills, but that's about it. Then, you do missions according to your skill. As a newbie, you can generally afford a set of low level armor after a few missions. Entertainers and medics can be tipped by other players for thier respective services. Again, this is pretty sufficient at lower level.

The usual way to get funds for higher level players is to run big-group missions on the outer planets. A couple of hours of that will usuall get you anywhere from 50-100k depending on the group and missions.

Apparently, the economies on all the servers are way out of control. Certain weapons can sell for 250k. Holocrons are selling in the millions. The devs have tried to begin to implement economy controllers such as item decay and the like. I'm not sure if this is going to have the effect they are looking for, though.

There are, generally, two classes of citizen in the galaxy: Super rich or lower-middle class. The super rich have cash all the time, and have no worries. The others are running high-level missions until they can afford what they are looking to buy.

So, far, though, I've found that the best and fastest way to "get rich" is to either master a crafting profession and sell excellent quality gear, or to harvest resources and sell them in bulk.

Most players that I know have begun to start some sort of trad buisiness to cover housing, building and general cost of living expenses. The nice thing is, if you can sell it, there is generally someone out there who is going to buy it.

Dununder
December 1st, 2003, 09:43 AM
In Anarchy Online, you start with nada. But, with the insane ease of making money, and missions generally getting you needed equipment, its a simple matter to amass a small fortune. Things are, of course, priced appropriately so it evens out. As an example, basic ground transport runs about 50k or so. Basic Air transport about 4.6 mil. Quality Level 200 gear (top end) can run to tens of Million depending on rarity. It might sound ridiculous exspensive, but at level 70 I pull almost 100k in cash a mission after selling off. If only I could make cash that easy in EQ.

Dununder Thuderchunder
Ogre Warlord

blueriver
December 1st, 2003, 10:01 AM
i have never met anyone with a Mith that could prove it

Pretty sure DAoC originally had a hard cap on money at 214 plat and odd change... then it got bumped to 450 after housing and many complaints.

I know this became a big issue when housing came out and GM's were running around trying to get enough cash for a lot the day of release (100plat to start), mansion (200 plat), and all the extras they could.

Which raises the issue: Why is the mithril unit even shown?

Xerin
December 1st, 2003, 11:13 AM
Mithril is impossible to get in DAoC afaik (Mythic has stated such before), and there is a hardcap on platinum. It's shown from roleplay :)

In DAoC you start with 0 copper to your name, and as you level you slowly move up to silvers and then gold. Most characters don't get there first plat intill level 40-45. Spells require no catalysts, so money goes for equipment and pretty things. Mid-level equipment costs between 200gold to 800gold (depending on what you want). Most mid-level people just use stuff from monsters unless they want to pvp in the battleground. People with 50's on there account that /level get a free set of gear as well. Final level (level 50) equipment (plus spellcrafting (stats to it) and procs) is about 3-5 plat depending on the class and what you are using (and the quality). Durability (equipment decay) doesn't really play a part in anything but having to repair it once in awhile, since most everything can be replaced and the decay rate is laughable if you are using an item that cons yellow/orange/red to you (except for necro staffs, which can wear out weekly).

Necrosaro
December 1st, 2003, 11:29 AM
Id say in FFXI that 100 gil is worth 10 plat in EQ. But really its hard to compare. I've collected about 100,000g total so far, but I have spent most of it allready. My bank only has 10,000 in it now. I have allot of gil tied up in things in my mog safe I am wating to sell to make a profit.

Getting Gil in FFXI is almost all from selling things in the Auction House. Then second would be selling items to vendors. Then last is gil right from monsters. Thats how it is for the low levels anyway.

Gnomish
December 1st, 2003, 12:15 PM
Maybe next thing that EQ will do is give alittle gold to newbies... because of the nodrop backpack and nodrop bandages... seems that money would be the next nice thing they do for noobies

Cerrena
December 1st, 2003, 12:22 PM
Last time I started a new character in EQ (frogloc), there was a quest given to me by my guildmaster. The point of the quest seemed to be to famillarieze myself with the town. The first stop was to the bank where I was given a lecture on how to use the bank and given a little pocket change. I don't know if these quests exists in all the newbie towns now or whether it's just avalible to the foglocs but it did give me a little money right off the top.

Kaylen
December 1st, 2003, 12:23 PM
Frogloks get 5 gold (I think) just by visiting the banker.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 1st, 2003, 12:24 PM
Money is really easy to come by in SWG. I made my first million credits selling clothes, and my second million selling resources. Selling resources was a whole lot easier than selling clothes ;)

It's completely obscene how much money you can make in SWG. I gave my husband half a million credits yesterday cause he said he was broke. I spent another 250k on resources for my friend who is grinding to Master Armorsmith for a holocron. And I didn't even blink an eye. In EQ, my husband would ask me for money, and I'd give him like 500pp hehe.

Gnomish
December 1st, 2003, 12:28 PM
not all newbie quests give money....

Satarus
December 1st, 2003, 12:38 PM
Most plat i ever had was 20k, and i spent like 16k on a rune song. Now i have like 20k again, most of which i got from selling droped tradeskill stuff like electified copper, and lots of leather padding.

Gnomish
December 1st, 2003, 12:40 PM
i am DEFINATELY at the most pat i've ever had, right now... little over 700... and i got 500 of that from my BF, and spent al of it on spells, armor and general whatnot... (including a very nice wedding ring for my BF when we got EQmarried... had to sell my Forest loop too =(( )

Satarus
December 1st, 2003, 12:59 PM
I remember when i got my first kpp, I was like level 50. I would always spend my plat whenever I got a couple hundered. Now I see nice things in the bazaar, but I can't ever seem to want to buy it. Last thing i bought was my soul scream belt, and i got that more the stats than the haste, because it was only 10% more haste than the belt i already had

(-=Phoenix=-)
December 1st, 2003, 01:06 PM
in AO you start out with nothin. so yeah. right now i have about 15 million credits. i couldnt even make a rough estimate of AO creds to EQ plat. i have no idea. armor around midrange (lvl 90 - 110) costs abotu 10 million credits, depending on what you buy. 100ql CAS is about 10m (im planning on getting some soon :D

Satsujinken
December 1st, 2003, 03:30 PM
Daoc

At this point in the game it's easy to farm Plat in Daoc. If your a caster there is almost no sink into your cash, as you are not hitting or being hitt, hence very little degrade to your equipment. The exception to this being the Aug Healers that I have known. To my knowledge 200 plat used to be cap, it's been raised since housing, but I don't recall what it is off the top of my head. A small house is cheap, and as far as I'm concerned the only reason for it is to have a private place to craft so your not spammed with "hey can I have stuff" repeatedly.
As a crafter, most of money actually comes from salvaging drops, and supplying everyone's /level 30 twink. Few people are willing to pay for Crafted Weapons even at cost on my server, so I now only make the level 50 weapons for people in my Guild "at cost ofcourse". But it's a different story for the /level 30 peeps playing their alts, most want 99% quality gear, and for that I charge them alot :)

Penguin (:>(O ):
December 1st, 2003, 05:41 PM
I really think that EQ should have another currency. Cause if you think about it having 1000000pp is kinda overwhelming. Lets say you add Mithral (copied from LOTR DAOC and others) 10pp equals 1pm then 1000000pp or 1000kpp turns intop 100km or you could have 100pp = 1pm or whatever. Poeple in Eq are such mongers with 1000kpp plus. Heheh just my opinion. Most i have had is 8 and i spent that like a retard (alts and such). I got 1.5k now and thats the most ive had for half a year. If i wanted to i could farm but thats too boring. I could work on Baking but i hate the drudgery. I really dont get why they have mithral in DAOC but you cant use it? Although i think that the money system in Daoc is better than EQ.

KiTA
December 1st, 2003, 05:59 PM
I know you didn't ask, per say, but in Asheron's Call, they took UO's style of regents.

Every spell has a level, like Fire Bolt 1, or Ice Bolt 3. Each spell in each level requiers the same ... item (er, forgetting the name of it. It's a little piece of metal with a seal on it). They also need a specific combination of other resources (most of which are easily purchased from a mage.). Higher level spells need more resources. Resources are randomly lost when you cast spells. The harder the spell (to you), the more you burn, and the more often.

They changed this about 6 months ago -- now you need the scarab (aha!) and a "prismatic taper", along with a special backpack (limited number of backpack slots == 40 less items) of the magic school you're casting from. The downside is that you can carry less stuff, and Prismatic Tapers burn up more frequently. It's a good tradeoff -- mages use the backpacks, since it weighs a LOT less and they need them, most warriors do too but for warriors who just use the basic weapon enhancement magics, a lot of them just carry the resources instead.

KiTA
December 1st, 2003, 06:30 PM
hm. I got decidedly confused at the topic of this thread, lol. ;)

Ok, in AC there's one type of money -- pyreal. It's a metal that can conduct magic, so it's just what's used as money. Any store can sell or buy "Trade Notes" which are items that have a store value of like 90% what you paid for them.

The important thing about trade notes is that pyreal stacks in your inventory, but only so high. You can have 10,000 pyreal in 1 inventory space, and that's 10X what you used to be able to. So trade notes are very important. Earlier in AC's "life", Pyreal was also VERY heavy, and there is no bank -- so trade notes weren't just useful, they were IMPORTANT.

The player market, when I stepped away last, revolved around two items -- Sturdy Iron Keys, which are used to open up tresure chests that randomly spawn in med-high level zones, and Singularity Keys, which are the same thing, except the chests appear in higher level zones, and the keys drop from higher level mobs and require that you carve them with lockpicking utensils before they are changed from nodrop to tradeable.

Both SIKs and Sings are random, rare loot. SIKs drop from anything over a certain strenghth, Sings, IIRC, drop only from Virindi (uber mage mobs, very annoying).

Dubheasa
December 1st, 2003, 10:59 PM
The other thing to consider is that DAoC money system differs from EQ by the amount you have to have to earn the next highest currency. Instead of 10 copper = 1 silver it's 100copper=1 silver and so forth 100 sp= 1gp. So in EQ terms, 1 plat is worth more. DAoC doesn't really have mithral pieces, not sure why it's even mentioned. And while the /level toons get armor and weapons, they aren't the best, they have no magical bonuses, and you still start with zero money. So then ya have to figure out how to get to your main city to get your free gear :) On my server, people can earn money easily by making weapons, armor or spellcrafting them. I make money by making dyes, water breathing potions (for Trials of Atlantis), and weapon procs. This is all part of our crafting system, the biggest problem with it is that you can't do it just anywhere...you have to be by a forge, lathe, or alchemy table. No crafting during downtime :( So much more to talk about...but that could take a small novel, so I'll stop here lol

Ciarin
December 1st, 2003, 11:08 PM
and for plat you need 1000 gold, and for mithril you need 1000 plat.

I only heard of one guy who had mithril.

all he did was craft stuff and sell it.

Ivaar Forkbeard
December 2nd, 2003, 01:08 AM
In EQ:OA you start with nothing but a guild tunic and a pretty crappy weapon, but it's good enough. Most of your first 5 levels of experiance comes from quests that you do, and you get new equipment from it. Money is mainly obtained by killing things, ripping out its eyes, claws, teeth, or getting a pelt from it... kinda like normal eq, except that the vast majority of the stuff has no concievable use, and is just there as loot to sell for the game's currency... "Tunar."

1 Tunar is worth roughly the equivalent of an EQ standard silver piece (or at least that's my opinion from the Marr's Fist server's economy). Items can be worn down, but not permanantly broken that I know of. There is also a level requirement on every single piece of armor in the game. Both of these together effectively kill twinking before it starts... the only way to really twink is to hand your other character a big pile of tunar, or some of the low level armor they can wear. They still have to spend some tunar to repair their gear if they want it to be effective, however. There seems to be no truely free ride in that game.

It is reletively easy to come by tunar by doing tradeskills and selling bronze armor to newbies, then spend part of that money on upgrading your skills to make better quality stuff... wash rinse repeat. In the game's early stages your equipment slots seem to be largely taken up by the tradeskill items... but then when you hit level 17 the quest stuff and droppable stuff become much more affordable... not to mention the stuff you can quest at level 17 is better than any money can buy you for that level or several levels afterward.

Basically, if you do not quest, and do not tradeskill, you will find your money purse constantly empty from repairing things and from buying 2 or 3 new pieces of equipment from auctions each level. Hey at least there's the auction feature so you don't have to wait around for items in the EC tunnel... Only bad thing is that Lore items are not auctionable. They are tradable, but the system would dance in it's grave if there was more than one lore item available at a time. /shrug

YuriPup
December 2nd, 2003, 11:50 PM
GOing from memory here...

EVE--which may evenutally be a game worth playing...you started with nothing and stayed broke.

Earth and Beyond, oddly enough I played as a trader/crafter (engins mostly, Trixie was my name) and as such, I had wealth on the oder of 100x what regular players had. I was part of a consortium of engin builders, one of whom was a buddy, and at once point when I came up short (at level 70 of 150 I think) I borrowed 1,000,000 credits since I was tapped on capital, and had that paid back (and another mil to work with) within 48 hours.

In games where there is a good economy, the differance between a rich crafter and a rich adventurer is huge.