PDA

View Full Version : Is EQOA:Frontiers Worth Buying?

Zeroaga
December 11th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Right now I play anarchy online, and I love that, but never have enough time to play (2 brothers hogging the computer). If I played EQOA, I could have more time to play, but I've been wondering: Is it worth buying?

Joborab
December 11th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Well, I beta tested Frontiers.. and in my personal opinion.. no not really. and in my other personal opinion, this belongs in the special forum.. i think.. maybe? oh well but i don't think you should get it, its not really worth it.

TalonNYC
December 11th, 2003, 07:59 AM
I just picked it up last night. It's not bad, but not the same as the PC game, which one would expect.

The graphics are a bit better than the original EQ graphics, but nowhere near either the current EQ game or even other PS2 games like Final Fantasy X.

The gameplay is kludgy, limited by the lack of a mouse. Even with a keyboard it tends to be hard to get anything done.

It's entertaining, but don't expect the same experience as EQ on the PC, or even some other PS2 titles.

Vicious
December 11th, 2003, 11:59 AM
The gameplay is kludgy, limited by the lack of a mouse. Even with a keyboard it tends to be hard to get anything done.

How long did you actually play it?

TalonNYC
December 11th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Hehe, only a few hours so far, these are first impressions to be sure.

The most difficult aspect was spellcasting, which is extremely cumbersome without the mouse involvement. Again, personal opinion.

I have been playing other console games since Atari 2600. I don't expect the play to be the same as PC Games. I just think they may have attempted to put too much interface into the game this time.

Dragonel
December 12th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Unless there've been big changes to targeting since the original game, I'd tend to agree with Talon.

While *most* of the game is really clever in interface execution, targetting can be a real pain as you're forced to use "next friendly/previous friendly" and "next hostile/previous hostile" exclusively. Not such a huge deal for melee characters and nukers, but anyone who'se on aggro control, be they taunters or mezzers, is liable to have some serious issues.

Joborab
December 12th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Well, I played for about up to 3 months (when there was no frontiers) quit, came back for a month because of the 10 dollars a month was all i could afford, applied for beta, and then bout a week after i got my disc for beta i quit alltogether, because i think it got quite boring fast.

Vicious
December 12th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Little tips with targeting.

1) Hold down either R1 or L1 button and you will get a crosshair. It's very cumbersome but it can help sometimes.

2) Hit Triangle before targeting again. If you are fighting in a large group, it will start over and grab the closest one, instead of making you cycle through.

3) If you target the tank and hit L2 -> Right -> Up - > Left (or what ever button you have it programmed too) you will automatically target what he is attacking.

Number three is very useful.