PDA

View Full Version : Spammer in the Slammer

Ciarin
December 11th, 2003, 06:32 PM
haha! spammer.

"Virginia Attorney General Jerry Kilgore has announced the nation's first felony charges and arrest for sending spam. Using Virginia's new Anti-Spam law, a grand jury indicted Jeremy Jaynes (a.k.a., "Jeremy James" and "Gaven Stubberfield"), regarded as the eighth-worst spam distributor in the world.

Using the "Report Spam" button on the mailbox, AOL members provided thousands of complaints that were used by the Commonwealth of Virginia to help investigate and indict the defendant, according to the Attorney General's office.

The new law is considered the toughest in the nation and was used as the model for the criminal portion of the federal legislation that was recently passed by Congress.

Law enforcement authorities arrested Jaynes in Raleigh, North Carolina, and charged him with four felony counts of using fraudulent means to transmit unsolicited bulk e-mail, which may be prosecuted in Virginia if any part of the illegal transactions take place in any locality in the Commonwealth. (AOL's offices are located in Dulles, Virginia.)

"Gaven Stubberfield" is listed as the eighth-most prolific spammer by the Register of Known Spam Operations. If convicted, Jaynes could face up to 20 years in prison and $10,000 in fines -- the four felony charges each carry punishment of one to five years in prison, a fine of up to $2,500, or both.

In 2002 and early 2003, AOL worked with industry leaders, state lawmakers, and Attorney General Kilgore's office to craft a new anti-spam state law that would levy strong criminal penalties on large-scale spammers who used tactics of fraud, falsification and deceit to send the most egregious and offensive junk e-mails to AOL members. After adoption of the law by the Virginia General Assembly, AOL hosted a ceremony at its corporate headquarters on April 29, where Governor Mark Warner signed the bill.

The criminal indictment comes as AOL continues to vigorously pursue civil litigation filed earlier this year against over a dozen individuals alleged to have spammed AOL members with almost one billion junk e-mails."--AOL NEWS

Tenolein
December 11th, 2003, 06:41 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!

Now to nail the rest of em!

I love it! w00t!!

-=dances away=-

Serresrelic
December 11th, 2003, 06:56 PM
That's so friggen cool. I love it.

Keiran
December 11th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Wow, I was wondering if maybe clicking Report Spam was a placebo button, but it looks like they're actually doing something with it. Glad I've been reporting that crap. :D

Edit: I think I'm going to be giggling when I push the button from now on too.

Shiach_gaidin
December 11th, 2003, 08:00 PM
YAY! /dance WOOT! 1 down 1,000,000 to go!

Saethori
December 11th, 2003, 08:04 PM
So, spamming is against the law now?

Does that mean Sony's going to jail for LoE? *whistle*

Dr.Gonzo
December 12th, 2003, 04:12 AM
Wow, I seriously hate spam but not enough to take away 20 years of someone's life. Then again I guess the twenty years thing is probaly inaccurate because of things like bail huh?
I dont realy get too much e-mail spam so I dont know the worst of it. Just seems odd that you would get more jail time for bulk e-mails than you would for a DUI.
/wonders if he has a clue about what he is even talking about....

*ahem* I mean, yeah nail the bastard!

Ciarin
December 12th, 2003, 04:40 AM
well actually it's 5 yrs per count, and he has 4 counts so there ya go.

I'm sure if a drunk driver had 4 counts of DUI it would be the same thing if not worse.

Kaylen
December 12th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Bail is to get you out of jail while you're on trial, before your sentencing.

He may get out early on parole, if he behaves well and doesn't constantly tell the other inmates about his great offers. And he hasn't been sentenced yet, so it's possible that he may only get four years.

Iiliani Seadream
December 12th, 2003, 05:17 AM
He may get out early on parole, if he behaves well and doesn't constantly tell the other inmates about his great offers.

hahahahah! *hiccup*

They may be lenient with him as it will be the first outing for the new law. The way drivers in London are just being given a warning about using mobile phones while driving for 2 months, now that it is illegal.
Then again, they may decide to make an example of him, and give him the full 20 years... :shock:

FuzzyBear
December 12th, 2003, 06:18 AM
(snip)eighth-worst spam distributor(/snip)
Phrases like that always make me wonder.
I mean, really. It reminds me of Sam Deathwalker's EQ related 'verified fourth best player in the game' quote.

While I'd love it if they were actually punishing the exploiters of spam, this reads to me a little more like an AOL ad that touts their spam protection.

Or maybe I'm just up too early again.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 12th, 2003, 10:45 AM
For the first time, like EVER, I like AOL. GO GO GOOD TEAM!

hmm, who woulda thought that AOL would be the good team?

EvilIguana966
December 12th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Yeah this from the origional "Pay for Ads" online service.

On another note I think that jail time should be enforced, I mean I don't care whether its a new law, because if you consciously are doing something that harasses millions of innocent people who have no prospect of retaliation and you keep doing it for monetary gain, then something is wrong.

Serresrelic
December 12th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Fuzzy, they base that number on how many spam mails they send.

90% of all spam in the world actually only comes from like 20 people. (I don't know the exact numbers).

Another article on this same story somewhere stated that this guy sent out somewhere in the range of like 8 million spam emails a day or something insanse.

Zan the Avitar
December 12th, 2003, 12:06 PM
About time, I think all spam senders should be arrested.

Garlron
December 12th, 2003, 12:52 PM
It's great that this guy (and hopefully many others) got arrested and hopefully fined, but twenty years is just wrong, plain and simple. He took away maybe an hour of everyone elses time and he goes away for twenty years? I think that in two years time any idiot could let it sink into their head to stop somthing as pointless as spam.

Serresrelic
December 12th, 2003, 01:02 PM
I think 20 years is just fine. It will put a little bit of fear into the spammers that are still out there. They're making an example out of him and I think it's great.

Kaylen
December 12th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Yeah, just like how the RIAA made an example of litte Susie. They locked her up for life, and fined her mother twelve billion dollars. Do you want that on your conscience, Serres? Do you?

I'm kidding, of course. I think it'd be nice to throw him away for 20 years, but I'd be happy with any amount of time as long as they don't just let him off with the $2,500 fine.

Dr.Gonzo
December 12th, 2003, 07:20 PM
edit: nm

Kaylen
December 12th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Little Susie was horribly scarred by the e-mail offer concerning her penis.

And, if you read.. they went after the most obscene spammers, so that probably happened.

If 20 years is harsh, perhaps he shouldn't have broken the law.

Dr.Gonzo
December 12th, 2003, 07:25 PM
I think little susie has got more problems then these e-mails with her parents MIA and all. I dont think spammers should be responsible for raising my children.

Kaylen
December 12th, 2003, 07:28 PM
It *is* a fairly long period of one's life. I haven't even been alive that long. I would hate to be in that position. The most extreme punishment likely won't be enforced unless they decide to make an example out of him, though. And he might get lucky and get to go to one of the nice prisons with ping pong and TV.

But, I stick by my "If you don't want to go to jail.. don't break the law," thing. Though, I really have no idea if they just threw this law out, and then arrested him. Kind of something I've been wondering about.. what if something you do is suddenly illegal, and you don't know about it until you're behind bars?

Dr.Gonzo
December 12th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Just because its the law doesnt mean it should be unreasonable.
Think if a murderer or violent sex offender got like a 2 year sentence, heck might already have happened for all I know. But, isnt the punishment supposed to fit the crime.

Kaylen
December 12th, 2003, 07:39 PM
People who smoke weed get longer sentences than rapists (in some cases.. perhaps all, I'm not all that well versed in law). While I am against both I think that's horribly stupid.. but it's the way it works, or so Law & Order tells me. That one DA is awesome. Not the bald one from the early season(s).

So I think maybe they just pick random amounts of years for these things. But I don't really know what I'm talking about because I'm extensively tired.

I've posted so much in this thread, I feel like a spammer..

Dr.Gonzo
December 12th, 2003, 07:43 PM
I was afraid of that, the whole unreasonable sentencing of things, although I do remember a special on HBO about people getting caught with marijuana (sp?) being sentenced to life. Think the special was a succes and peoples sentenced were changed.

Guess none of this really matters personaly since Im not a spammer.

Kaylen
December 12th, 2003, 07:46 PM
This may get a bit off topic, but I think for possession - just having it, not distribution - you should have some serious rehab, because when you get out of prison you'll just hunt down your drug of choice again.

Maybe 20 years would keep the spammer from returning to spamming when he gets out. Which could also be the theory behind drugs having long sentences..

legal system.. hurting.. brain..

Allpowerfulsam
December 13th, 2003, 08:58 AM
i find it ironic that the majority of people complaining about spam use aol...could that be because AOL SUCKS ROYALY?!?! I THINK SO!!

Tenolein
December 13th, 2003, 11:39 AM
I agree AllPowerful. AOL does, in my opinion, blow.

As for spamming, here's one for ya'll..

Everytime I turn on my computer, windows opens, then I get about 10 pop ups. This JUST started happening 2 days ago, and I don't use the internet for more than my guild forums and here. MAYBE check my yahoo mail 2 times a week. Now, all of a sudden, I'm getting 24563546 million pop ups everytime I load up windows. To make matters worse, I use juno as a browser now days, because everytime I try to use IE, I get about 932876 pop-ups before my homepage opens, and IE crashes. Using Juno works wonders for me. Mind you, when I get the windows startup pop ups, they pop up in IE, so eventually, IE crashes. I've cleaned my cache, history, everything. I even went to Add/Remove Programs and checked if somehow I got some crap installed.. Sure enough, what do I spy? I spy about 5 or 6 different programs that I never seen before. I uninstall them, and most of them claim they 'need' me to uninstall via IE.. Luckily for me, IE works long enough for me to uninstall, and add a comment in their 'Suggestion box'. Which says, edited, of course:

"Hello, yes, I have a suggestion.. STOP ****IN INSTALLING **** ON MY SYSTEM, OR I'LL ****IN KILL YOU, *****!!"

I've uninstalled that crap, looked at my msconfig, EVERYTHING, and I still get these pop ups at startup. Good thing I'm getting a new hard drive for Christmas, otherwise I don't know what I'd do.

Basis of my lovely story.. All spammers, pop up starters, and anyone THINKING of being involved in those catergories should all die a grusome death and burn. Now.

Kaylen
December 13th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Try Ad Aware (http://www.ad-aware.com).. and make sure your browser's home page is still the one you set.

Ciarin
December 13th, 2003, 12:14 PM
ada aware never worked for me.....bleh...

I'm trying spybot, but I still get pop-ups and now my browser has this stupid plugin that adds a menubar that I have to constantly click off.

And every once in a while I'll click a link to a new thread on the board, or something and the page will take me to a search engine saying the page I was looking for was not found, and the url is to a file in my windows folder. So, unless I go to the windows folder and delete this file, I won't be a ble to go anywhere on the web without getting fake 404'd. And after a delete it, it come right back again a few days later.

argh.....

Keiran
December 13th, 2003, 12:56 PM
I would be ok if instead of jailing them, they gave them a hefty fine and forced them to use a special computer for the rest of their lives. This computer would have popups that couldn't be removed, and would open in windows at random locations on-screen at intervals between 30s and 5 min... no matter what they're doing. Ideally, these popups would ask whether the person was annoyed by popups. It would also fill all their mailboxes with 10-20 offensive/pointless messages per day.

Ciarin
December 13th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Now that I think of it, I think jailing would be a bad idea too. it takes a lot fo money to have someone in jail, tax wise.

community service, and banned for life from the internet would be good though.

Filan Fyretracker
December 13th, 2003, 01:49 PM
problem is the top 5 spammers are operating from countries with almost no laws.

Tenolein
December 13th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Oh, I tried many ad smashers, none worked. And yea, the homepage is still set to what I put it as.

I dunno, I tore apart my settings to fix this problem, as I restarted a few times, and -=gasp=- NO POPUPS! I did get a error=1 something else=1, but other than that, nothing. =D

Kylinee
December 13th, 2003, 04:31 PM
i lub my Google Toolbar. specially now that they added the popup blocker. 1389 blocked and going strong :)

Jordayne
December 13th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Kylinee, i never know that the google toolbar did that! I just downloaded it and I love it!! thanks so much for clueing me in! WEEEE!! NO MO' POP UPS!!

rimedragona
December 13th, 2003, 07:06 PM
how does it do that? ... mmm... I might have to get it... ^_^

Zinj
December 13th, 2003, 07:30 PM
You REALLY want to hurt spammers; you take away everything they purchased with the profits of their organizations, and you take all their equipment too. And then you make damn sure that no judge ever allows a counterclaim from these jokers to come to court.

Zinj

Satarus
December 13th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Opera is my friend. It has the option built in to stop pop ups.

Meeshter
December 14th, 2003, 06:14 PM
I wanna be a REAL-LIFE spammer... I'd mail a bunch of cans of spam to random people with a message saying... "don't you hate recieving spam in your mailbox?"