PDA

View Full Version : The Nobel Peace Prize

Erling E.
December 11th, 2003, 06:35 PM
As most of you better know, Shirin Ebadi is this years winner of the Nobel Peace Prize. Yesterday she was awarded the prize, and today there was a huge concert here in Norway (which is the home of the peace prize). Most of you probably did not know that Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones were the hosts of the show.

Funny. Little, nordic Norway. Suddenly the attention of well over 100 countries (which the show was broadcasted to), led by these two american superstars. Hillary Clinton and Jimmy Carter also appeared on the big screen, giving their gratulations to the rightful winner.

I'm glad Norway can offer the world such a honorable and good-hearted prize in the first place. And congratulations to Shirin Ebadi.

Jishia
December 11th, 2003, 06:40 PM
These days it's just another Tony Awards.

Ciarin
December 11th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Why did Shirin win?

Erling E.
December 11th, 2003, 06:42 PM
She has put an immense amount of work into women's right in Iran, as well as human rights in general. I'm not 100% informed in the matter, but the world has celebrated her place as a winner. As you can understand, being a muslim country, she has been pretty much shunned by her own government for her humanitarian work.

Jishia: To say the Nobel Peace Prize is on the same level as a Tony award, would be very disrespectful.

Jishia
December 11th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Call me weird, but I believe that the betterment of human-kind is a thankless job

Ciarin
December 11th, 2003, 06:46 PM
What are the requirements fo the Nobel Peace Prize? Is it just a humanitarian award?

Erling E.
December 11th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Ciarin: I do not know the exact requirements, but I suppose you will have to have made exceptional humanitarian work in the name of peace. One year some irish guy got it, for his work in the heated conflict in Ireland. Jimmy Carter did also get it once.

For instance, Bush won't get it for "supposedly bombing Iraq for freedom".

Ciarin
December 11th, 2003, 08:01 PM
I wonder, what made her humanitarian work exceptional compared to all the other people who do humanitarian work?

I'll probably just have to look this up on my own.....

Erling E.
December 11th, 2003, 08:04 PM
I think you do. And the theory about "why does she get it, when there are so many other who deserve it too", really does not hold water.

There is a Nobel Prize Commitee, who review lots of candidates, and I am pretty sure there is a voting process involved. They just have to go for somebody.

Ciarin
December 11th, 2003, 08:05 PM
It wasn't a theory, it was an inquiry.

Erling E.
December 11th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Then I apologize.

Ciarin
December 11th, 2003, 08:21 PM
I went to the Nobel site (http://www.nobel.se/peace/), and I read the bio and award speech about her.

It seems she got it because she did a lot of equal rights and childrens rights advocation, lectured on peaceful solutions to todays problems and defended many people for freedom of speech and religion. She also solved some serial murders. She has been jailed numerous times for her deeds. This in and of itself isn't exceptional because many people do this, but I think that she deserved recognition because she did this and succeeded in doing this in a country where advocates of this nature (especially female ones) aren't widespread or tolerated as much as they are in other countries.

It's like this:
People can push a wagon loaded with rocks. This isn't exceptional.

She pushed a wagon loaded with rocks up an enormous and steep mountain. Which I find commendable.

Erling E.
December 11th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Thank you for that great post.

Kaylen
December 12th, 2003, 04:47 AM
Just because it has famous people doesn't mean it's just another glitzy awards show. Some celebrities do in fact have personalities, and use their fame to show their support for things - like when Sean Penn went into Iraq (I think that was it, anyway) to see what was going on for himself.

Ciarin
December 12th, 2003, 05:01 AM
I believe Hanoi Jane did the same thing. And I hate her. If I ever see her in person (which I doubt will happen) I will probably spit on her.

And I don't see anything wrong with the Nobel Peace prize event being glitzy. Maybe if they were, they'd be more well-known or interesting. I bet most people aren't aware when they take place.

Reymi_VZ
December 12th, 2003, 05:06 AM
For instance, Bush won't get it for "supposedly bombing Iraq for freedom".

Amen.

Erling E.
December 12th, 2003, 08:06 AM
I thought I was going to get a lot of pepper for that one, Reymi :-)

EvilIguana966
December 12th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Nobel Peace Prize is a joke, Jimmy Carter got one, as did Yassir Arafat........ Yassir Arafat is the father of global terrorism, and those ^%*&%$s give him a prize for peace.

The truth is, at one time the prize honored people who did great things to better the world around them. Look at Martin Luther King. He was a man with a noble dream to see people treated with true EQUALITY, and he wouldn't put up with ANY party tryingf to play the race card to come out ahead. No, he wan't steady, real integration, not this forced, backlash inducing affirmative action, and not the violence of the Black Panthers and other such criminals. He saw, rightfully, that violence was NOT tjhe answer to acheiving racial equality, and for that he won a prize.

Now Jimmy Carter, may have been well meaning, but he was criminally negligent in his execution. That doesnt deserve a prize. Neither does giving money to terrorists then blaming Isreal for everything.

/rant off

Erling E.
December 12th, 2003, 09:45 AM
I totally agree EvilIguana966. There has been some extremely bad choices which have hurt the prize a lot. Yassir Arafat being the prime example. That's like giving Osama bin Laden the peace prize.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 12th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Hanoi Jane? You mean Jane Fonda?

I know that Jane Fonda went to Vietnam during the war. I saw this documentary on this one really bad POW camp. She came to visit the camp, and all of the prisoners had written their social security numbers on little scraps of paper. While she was at the camp, she shook all of their hands, and they all slipped her the scraps of paper. She took them all from them, and when she had shaken all their hands, and had all of their scraps of paper, she turned around and handed them all to the guy running the POW camp. Needless to say, the men were beaten and tortured because of it.

togashi
December 12th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Anyone can get the Nobel Peace Prize. Part of the application for the prize is a minimum $10,000 donation to the committee. Therefore, it can be bought. I will say, however, that they made a good choice this year, as opposed to some of the previous choices.

As far as celebs go, they should stick to their trades. Sean Penn went over to Iraq not to support the troops, but to "see the plight of the Iraqi people". Since he came back, we haven't heard jack from him. Guess the plight wasn't so bad. Fact is, there are more Iraqi boys AND GIRLS in Iraqi schools now than there were under Saddam, power and water have been restored to the country, and the Iraqi Police are retaking their role as peacekeepers. The only thing we hear on the news wires is how many of our soldiers died today, and the grand total that have died since "major combat operations were declared over in Iraq". It's sickening.

Ciarin
December 12th, 2003, 01:37 PM
I also think celebs should keep to their trades, but some of them are actually smart. Some of them get into politics, not in a hippy activist way, but in a responisble role model authoritative way. I think it's cool that a guy who was once a pro wrestler can be governor of a state, and a former body builder/action star can be a governor as well.

Former Pres Reagan was an actor as well, I believe.

And yes, Hanoi Jane=Jane Fonda. I think she should be shot for treason. Not only were those men beaten, but a few died. (http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.htm)

Keiran
December 12th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Better read the link Ciarin posted more carefully, guys. Read it all. Jane Fonda did not turn any slips of paper over the North Vietnamese, that was a fabricated incident.

Despite that, she did support the North Vietnamese cause in some fairly nasty ways, such as calling the soldiers recounting their experiences liars. She also posed for shots at NV military installations, and applauded their soldiers.

I draw the line at criticizing the men in the field, myself. Publicly disagreeing with the administration is fine. Insulting those who are brave enough to go fight is not. Going to the country of the enemy and making propaganda broadcasts on their behalf steps across the treason line.

Serresrelic
December 12th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Umm Keiran, did you read the link that Ciarin posted more carefully? Because I read the whole thing and nothing in that link said anything about that story being false.

Of course if you could provides some sort of quoted proof from that article saying that it was fabricated I might be more inclinced to believe you.

Edit: There's also a Bibliography at the bottom stating the sources of the information.

Keiran
December 12th, 2003, 02:20 PM
The most serious accusations in the piece quoted above -- that Fonda turned over slips of paper furtively given her by American POWS to the North Vietnamese and that several POWs were beaten to death as a result -- are proveably untrue. Those named in the inflammatory e-mail categorically deny the events they supposedly were part of.

Look for this paragraph. The olive colored box with text is the urban legend. The black text with white background below it is the truth of the matter. This paragraph is in that section.

Serresrelic
December 12th, 2003, 02:21 PM
ah-ha. thanks.

Cougarshand
December 12th, 2003, 03:53 PM
The Nobel Peace Prize should be given to 'someone' (sounds like a silly thing to say, doesn't it? It isn't . . . let me explain . . . no, wait, there is too much . . . let me sum up!) Absolutely . . . many, many people do wonderful things, selfless things, acts that advance humanity and society. We can not find them all, we can not thank them all, and they can not all be recognized. In a perfect world . . . well, we all know the answer to that one . . . they would be.

What is important is the symbolism of The Nobel Peace Prize. Yes, it is just one person and their humanitarian actions that are thrust into the world spotlight, but the idea that it puts forward is what is most important. Sometimes it needs to be broadcast to the world that, "Yes! There are those still trying to make a difference! Compassion and kindness still matter!"

Though it only goes to one person, the whole idea has the feel of the spirit of the Olympics to me. The sense of rising above, or striving towards a common goal, and reaching for something better.

Yes, I know . . . that's all rather cheesy . . . but I still believe in the good side of humanity, Anne Frank as that may be.

Velenka
December 12th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Hear hear, Cougs. Cheesy be damned.

Erling E.
December 12th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Anyone can get the Nobel Peace Prize. Part of the application for the prize is a minimum $10,000 donation to the committee. Therefore, it can be bought. I will say, however, that they made a good choice this year, as opposed to some of the previous choices.

That is not correct. This year's winner did not even know she was a candidate for the prize.