PDA

View Full Version : Good movies that are out there now.

Gnomish
December 1st, 2003, 08:58 AM
um i'm tired, and bored, and i was thinking about funny things (and trying not to laugh out loud), and i wondered what movies everyone out there has seen and enjoyed recently....
Master and Commander
ok... that's the only movie i have seen this winter... but I am totally looking foreward to:
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Peter Pan

Kaylen
December 1st, 2003, 09:00 AM
Can you give a more thorough review of Master and Commander? I kind of want to see it, but the trailers made it look horrible.. but you could kind of tell that that's the trailers' fault, not the movie. But I'm still on the fence.

Sham
December 1st, 2003, 09:05 AM
The most recent flicks I saw were Finding Nemo and Blue Collar Comedy Tour. The latter was absolutely fantastic - must be the redneck in me showing through. (A British redneck...there's a sight.)

As far as the latest theatrical releases, I'm kind of in the dark...working a graveyard shift in a one-screen-theatre town doesn't allow you to see a lot of new movies.

LowerClassBrat
December 1st, 2003, 09:06 AM
Donnie Darko people Donnie Darko....

Kaylen
December 1st, 2003, 09:08 AM
But that's not new, nor in theaters.

LowerClassBrat
December 1st, 2003, 09:09 AM
So...its still the best movie ever!

Sham
December 1st, 2003, 09:14 AM
If we're gonna talk about older films, I have to give a shout out for Waking Ned Devine. One of the greatest British comedies I've ever seen. (Yeah, the story takes place in Ireland, but it's all put on by Brits.)

Gnomish
December 1st, 2003, 09:19 AM
Master and Commander was great! I really liked it... (but I like history and warfare and stuff like that)... ^_^ If you thought it looked bad, it migh've been the trailers... there are a few surgery scenes... and I admit that I had my eyes closed, and my hands overthem during those parts... but my BF said they weren't THAT bad... i liked it alot...

Trastero
December 1st, 2003, 09:40 AM
I hate to say it, but the Texan Chainsaw Massacre remake was a fun ride. Best "thriller," slasher flick in a long time. IMO

Hiddenprince
December 1st, 2003, 09:47 AM
Last move i even went to see was Freddy vs. Jason. And didn't really care for it.

Definatly going to see LOTR: Return of the King

Kaylen
December 1st, 2003, 09:49 AM
I personally can't wait for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It was my favorite book of the series, and I'm glad they did it before half the cast left (Goblet of Fire just won't be the same).

Speaking of which, that /GU Strip is still one of my favorites..

"Yer a Wizard, Harry!"

"Dammit!"

Darley Marilith
December 1st, 2003, 09:53 AM
I found The Cat in the Hat to be horrible. Its the first movie in 28 years that I have ever walked out of. My husband also got our money back. Dr. Suess is rolling in his grave right now.

Dravvan
December 1st, 2003, 09:54 AM
Master & Commander is a historical chase movie. Its beautifully done and is a wonderful peek into the lives of those who lived on the sailing ships of the 1700's and 1800's. The violence, when it occurs, is brutal. Therefore, its not for those who are weak of stomach. Like Gnomish, I had to avert my eyes during one of the nastier medical scenes (my toes are curling up now just thinking about it).

For those who love High Seas adventures, you'll love it. :D

Pirates of the Caribbean comes out on DVD tomorrow! Woohoo!

Looking forward to:

Brother Bear
Return of the King
Peter Pan (the guy playing Capt. Hook will be wonderful!)

Dravvan
December 1st, 2003, 09:56 AM
I personally can't wait for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It was my favorite book of the series, and I'm glad they did it before half the cast left (Goblet of Fire just won't be the same).

Who's leaving? Like you, I'm looking forward to this one as well. The novel and Goblet of Fire were my two faves.

Gnomish
December 1st, 2003, 10:00 AM

Who's leaving? Like you, I'm looking forward to this one as well. The novel and Goblet of Fire were my two faves.O.O Yeah! Who left!? I realy want to see Prisoner... but i didn't know when it is coming out ^_^

Darley Marilith
December 1st, 2003, 10:08 AM
Prisoner of Azkaban is coming out in June.

copasnece
December 1st, 2003, 10:13 AM
Id like to know where you heard half the cast was leaving too.. I'm pretty up to date on everything Harry Potter (yes i'm a patheticlly obsessed fan) and never heard that.

Most I see is no one has an exact casting list for Goblet of Fire yet, but thats honestly not a big deal and doesn't mean half the cast is gone.

Hiddenprince
December 1st, 2003, 10:14 AM
Just saw a movie poster for this and made me shudder, was a ad for Garfield:the Movie (yes the fat, orange cat)

Kaylen
December 1st, 2003, 10:14 AM
This is definitely Malfoy's last movie (I don't really remember their real names), and I'm assuming (though I'm not sure) most of the rest of the student cast will be leaving, and if not now then after the Goblet of Fire, because they're getting too old, or just don't want to do it anymore. I wouldn't care if they're 30, they play the parts perfectly, and I would love to see the current Harry in Order of the Phoenix.

I actually heard this from a friend, but she does things like pays attention to news.

Gnomish
December 1st, 2003, 10:15 AM
A TANGENT HAS BEEN TAKEN!

copasnece
December 1st, 2003, 10:30 AM
hmm like i said i got about 20 websites i know strictly harry potter and haven't seen that at all but ill look again *shrug*

plus i just dont think they are doing the movies anymore after goblet of fire. I read that on a few sites, but thats only a maybe.

Kaylen
December 1st, 2003, 10:38 AM
Well, maybe you shouldn't listen to me then, because I don't actually know anything. I just pretend. And I'm shocked and amazed when people reply to me.

But I'll look around and see if I can find anything, because she's never wrong about Harry Potter..

copasnece
December 1st, 2003, 10:42 AM
God was i rude or something? i was just telling you what i saw i never said i was right and you were wrong.

Jeez lighten up

Woody
December 1st, 2003, 10:56 AM
Copasnece... the only person I see taking things personally is you.

And, "lighten up" is not a phrase that goes over well here.

copasnece
December 1st, 2003, 11:00 AM
Alright I'll try not to post anymore about it then

Kaylen
December 1st, 2003, 11:07 AM
I wasn't being sarcastic or anything. I really don't know anything. All I've found so far is that Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter - I learn new things every day) will be in the Goblet of Fire.

copasnece
December 1st, 2003, 11:08 AM
Then i apologize, the way i read it, was more sounding like you were mad at something i said.

Dravvan
December 1st, 2003, 11:22 AM
Well I'm certainly looking forward to Prisoner of Azkaban!

As to Goblet of Fire, I'll take the 'wait and see' attitude with regards to the actors. Its been my experience from the various Star Trek movies that actors will always sound reluctant about taking up their character again, essentially causing fans to beg for them to 'please come back' kind of thing. I think mostly they'll be back. :D

Gnomish
December 1st, 2003, 11:24 AM
the guy that played Professor Dumbledor died, and I can't wait to see how the new guy plays Dumbledor

copasnece
December 1st, 2003, 11:28 AM
I know it sounds terrible, and i do have respect for the old dumbledor and am very sad that he passed away. But i honestly really didn't like the way he played dumbledor. I mean to me, in the books dumbledor was more easy going, laid back type person, but serious when needed to be.

In the movies he just seemed too serious all the time.

Velenka
December 1st, 2003, 11:47 AM
I only saw the first movie (and still haven't read the last book), but I loved John Cleese as Nearly Headless Nick :)

Serresrelic
December 1st, 2003, 01:59 PM
Master and Commander:
The problem with the trailers is that they only highlighted the battles, when there are really only 2 ship battles in the whole movie. The story itself, in my opinion, was mainly to demonstrate what life was like aboard a ship during that time, and historically speaking, it was amazingly accurate, which is was made it so fascinating to me.

Timeline:
Wondeful book, especially if you're into Quantum theory. However, terrible movie. I was really disappointed in the movie. The story was still as good as it was in the book, but the unbelievably terrible acting totally ruined it for me. I swear they picked the absolute worst actors to play the main characters. I don't know how they expected it to be a success with such a horrible casting job. Sorry if I sound a little bitter, but I loved the book and was thrilled when I heard they were making a movie from it. And it was a total let down.

Cat in the Hat:
*sigh* Didn't they learn from the Grinch? Dr. Suess books just do not make that good of movies, why? Because his books were very short. In order to make the movie long enough they have to improvise and add in things that just ... well, suck. Another disappointment, but the kids might enjoy it.

Bad Santa:
Buwahahaha, great comedy I got a kick out of it. Nuff said.

OK, I'm done with my amateur movie critique.

Kaylen
December 1st, 2003, 02:07 PM
I nearly forgot about Timeline, but based on that.. I may just be waiting for it to come out on DVD.

That kind of sucks, I loved the book.

DaMrac
December 1st, 2003, 02:24 PM
last movie I saw was Matrix Revolutions, was awesome movie ever!! I'm currently looking forward to the new LOTR, Paycheck, and the next harry potter. and oh yea! the last samurai!

Donnie Darko!! AWESOME MOVIE MAN!! I have the movie!!

Satarus
December 1st, 2003, 02:25 PM
Matrix Revolutions: well it was better than reloaded, nough said.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 1st, 2003, 02:31 PM
Radio looks good, but I haven't seen it yet

Saw Kill Bill... it was okay, but a bit of a disappointment for a Tarrantino flick

Last Samurai.. previews look good but I have issues with a white guy playing a samurai, even if he is Tom Cruise.

Rented 28 Days Later this weekend... it was good, but not as scary as I had been led to believe. Still pretty damn trippy though.

DaMrac
December 1st, 2003, 02:33 PM
reloaded and revolutions is really 1 whole movie if you think about it. considering how the movie ended in part 2 and how it started in part 3.
the whole scene with sentinels and APUs fighting, I wanted to jump up and down screaming! haha

garfield movie? will it be 3D? cartoon? or a real cat? LOL
wont be the same though, as a kid I got used to that guy who did the voice of garfield in that cartoon series.

DaMrac
December 1st, 2003, 02:34 PM
Last Samurai, didnt you see the previews? his like some white guy hired to train japanese soldeirs to use guns and war tactics nad stuff. then he was captures by the enemies of the peeps he was suppoce to train. then he ended up being trained as a samurai I think.

edit: he switched sides or something, girl he fell in love with etc. or saw their side. I wanna see this movie! cant wait!!

Kat
December 1st, 2003, 02:39 PM
I personally don't care for Tom Cruise, and I especially can't buy into him as an "action hero." I don't know exactly why. He's not ugly, and he's not a poor actor. /shrug

I have not gone out to a movie since. . . *thinks really hard* . . . 2 Fast - 2 Furious which I wouldn't have seen at all if it weren't on a date.

I want to see the Haunted Mansion, but I really don't think my kids will be seeing it. So maybe I'll rent it in 3 months when it comes out on DVD.

Does anyone remember before movies came out on video and DVD so soon that they played at the theater for ages. Raiders of the Lost Ark was in theaters for over a year.

Velenka
December 1st, 2003, 04:50 PM
I want to see "Troy". Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom. The history buff in me demands it. The trailer can be watched here (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808444810&cf=trailer).

*drool*

Bombless
December 1st, 2003, 05:21 PM
Some evil people said the best thing they remember from the Matrix Revolutions screening were the Last Samourai and Troy trailers :P

And Velenka, Troy is scheduled for may 2k4...That's quite alot of drool :shock:

edit: another movie coming out in may 2k4 is The Day after Tomorrow (http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/dayaftertomorrow/large.html). Looks good so far.

Bendoral
December 1st, 2003, 05:27 PM
LotR:RotK - I prepaid for the triple feature of all 3 movies and the hour early screening of RotK, and being on the east coast, ill be among the first commercial people in america to see it. Our theatre sold out of the triple feature tickets over a month ago, and only 4 days after opening sales on it.

Also looking forward to Prisoner of Azkaban, as well The ensuing movies, though i hope they can maintain most of the cast.

Paycheck to me looks like "The Bourne Identity" with Ben Affleck. Then again i never saw the prior, just heard lots about it.

Hiddenprince
December 2nd, 2003, 08:04 PM
reloaded and revolutions is really 1 whole movie if you think about it. considering how the movie ended in part 2 and how it started in part 3.
the whole scene with sentinels and APUs fighting, I wanted to jump up and down screaming! haha

garfield movie? will it be 3D? cartoon? or a real cat? LOL
wont be the same though, as a kid I got used to that guy who did the voice of garfield in that cartoon series.

garfield and his other feline/canine friends are CG mixed in with live action.

Garfield the Movie (http://www.garfieldthemove.com/)

Devis
December 4th, 2003, 07:31 AM
If you like Matrix-esq gunfights with more style and soul, see Equilibrium. It's a much better movie (much MUCH better than the third and second Matrixes) and although it was done on a smaller budget, it's got all the style and slick moves of The Matrix.
And it's not mainstream, which I like. Heh, and .. yes. I'm a gun nut. So sue me.

Definately a must-see in my books.

Iiliani Seadream
December 4th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Equilibrium was the most under-rated film of the year in my opinion, it's an absolute gem, but due to poor advertising, (at least in UK) it didn't do very well because no one really knew it was there. Meh.

offensivename
December 4th, 2003, 08:51 AM
I saw Timeline, and I would like to quote a friend of mine "Just because Michael Crichton keeps writing books doesn't mean Hollywood should keep turning them into movies."

The movie just seemed to have no direction, it wasn't that close to the book, and it had Paul Walker, who is only a step away from being Keanu Reeves/Pauly Shore bad

Bombless
December 4th, 2003, 09:59 AM
yes, got to see Equilibrium a few months ago (it didn't come out here in Belgium). Loved it.

Cougarshand
December 4th, 2003, 05:47 PM
The fact that Gary Oldman will be in the upcoming Harry Potter flick is enough of a sell for me.

And I'm all little-kid-on-christmas-morning-giddy about Return of the King.

I've heard form a number of people that 'Bad Santa' is absolutely hilarious. I get to attend a private screening of it next week . . . I'll let ya know.

Tiladien
December 4th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Here's the cast list for Garfield. Might not be bad, lots of talent at least.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0356634/fullcredits#writers

DDDancer
December 4th, 2003, 09:03 PM
First I can't believe there are other adult Harry Potter Fans that actually read the books! :P
I can't wait for Return of the King!
I did see The Haunted Mansion and it is not too bad for kids ages 6 and up.
As for Harry Potter whoever is in it, it will be great because the author has explicit rights to casting and editting approval and I believe it will be portrayed as she wrote it.

Gnomish
December 5th, 2003, 12:07 AM
When i was in 10th grade (at a christian school) I was afraid that the Harry Potter Book that i was reading was going to be confinscated, and not retunred to me, one time

::gasps:: GARFIELD THE MOVIE!!! ^_^ now i have a new thing to wait for after LoTR and HarryPotter

Dubheasa
December 6th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Saw The Last Samurai last night and it was quite good. The attention paid to detail on costume and customs was fantastic. Though my husband mumbled something about "Dances With Wolves in Japan" I really enjoyed the movie. Looking forward to Return of the King as well.

Also saw Timeline last week....it was, well, sketchy at best. The story didn't flow as well as it could have. But the armor was neat to drool over :)

Radical Edward
December 6th, 2003, 05:08 PM
I thought that "The Missing" was a pretty good movie.

rimedragona
December 6th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Hey, if Last Samurai is anything like Dances With Wolves, then it's gotta be at least halfway good. I liked Dances. ^_^ A lot. Of course, I only watched it at that time because my mom wanted to, but... that doesn't keep me from liking it.

I am also giddy over LotR:RotK. EEEE!!! *dance dance*

I saw Timeline. I never read the book, so I can't say anything about that, but I thought it was okay. Not the best movie I've ever gone to see.. and there were plothole's I think I could drive at least my Neon through, if not my dad's Explorer...

As for Cat in the Hat... I've heard mediocre to awful. I thought the Grinch was okay. ... But Dr Suess should stay in the books. It's what it was intended for... ^_^ and besides, they already have the neato cartoon for Grinch.

Reloaded and Revolutions were... meh. Slightly disapointing. Matrix was so much better. But I will agree with the Sentinels VS APUs battle assessment. *dance*

28 Days Later... ehhh.... weird? I saw it on TV a while back. I liked the way they had an alternate ending after the credits. At least, that's what we assumed it was. *shrug* I think it was bizarre.

I assume the Garfield movie will end up like Cats and Dogs. ... So, I won't hold my breath. But, this way, if it /is/ good, I will be pleasantly surprised. ^_^

I think I've rambled on long enough.... ^_^

stuman89
December 7th, 2003, 12:39 AM
timeline was an ok movie. many many flaws though. pretty cool fight sceens. i wont even get started on the flaws. basicaly it there were holes in the theory

matrix was ok. first was totaly the best

28 days later was a very good movie. especialy considering how many crappy horror movies r made

cabin fever was different. lol. good different. u MUST have a sence of humor and MUST watch the whole thing

scary movie 3 was probably the best. they did a GREAT job of makin fun of 8 miles. i was laughing so i was literly crying and there were still other very very funny parts

master and commander was GREAT. wow. amazing. sence obviously yall r mature enough yall would love it cause very very few could watch it or even understand it.

elf is a very fuuny movie. must love will ferreal. its like a 2 hour long SNL skit of him. if u liek him ull love it. hes hilarious

Isador Marilith
December 8th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Ok, this may be a bit old-school here, but this does count! I swear! It's still in theaters after 20 plus years. You have to look around to see what theaters it's in, but a great flick none the less.
Rockey Horror Picture Show.
That's still one of my favorites!

Hiddenprince
December 8th, 2003, 10:44 AM
There is another Mortal Kombat movie slated called Mortal Kombat:Domination!

*runs for cover*

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293429/fullcredits

Deadly Eye
December 11th, 2003, 07:00 PM
The Last Samurai was very well done even if they had Tom Cruise play the lead, but on another note I saw the preview for Troy and that looks awesome.

Tenolein
December 11th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Timeline: I won't see unless my girlfriend rents it.

Last Samurai: I plan on taking my girl to that movie. I don't care if its "Dances With Wolves".. Not only was Dances a good movie, but Samurai has a better lead actor in Tom Cruise.. I know, I'm biased. I can't help that Tom Cruise is one of my favorite actors, but after seeing Top Gun and Jerry McGuire, you can't say that he ISN'T good!

28 Days Later: I love a good horror movie, and this year was the year for horror flicks in my own opinion. I haven't seen this one yet, but I hear it's an excellent one.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Greatness. Pure simple greatness. I never saw the first one, but this was gold ladies and gents. I never cheered for the 'bad guy' in a horror movie until this one. >=)

Garfield: Going to see it. If it has Bill Murray, I'm there. -=shrugs=- I don't care how bad of a movie it is, I'm bound to laugh. I.E. Ghostbusters

Matrix: Never saw Revolutions, but I heard good and bad things. I'll just wait. I didn't mind Reloaded, but I liked the first one better, but not by much.

Harry Potter: I never read the books, and I don't plan on it. As for the movies, I never got into them. Felt like I was being forced to watch a movie with my little sisters again, and I don't like that.

LoTR: Return of the King: I'm there. If I'm on my death bed, I'm there. Nothing is stopping me from seeing this movie.

Last but not least, The Rundown: Being a devout religious wrestling fan, I cannot miss a movie with my 2nd all time favorite 'wrestler' the Rock. Actually wasn't THAT bad of a movie, granted it had the hugely unreal 'Die Hard' action in it. Hey, I'm a guy, I like my action, and when it comes to a guy beating the pulp out of another guy, then so be it. =)

I believe I touched base on everything I could think of. Favorite movie of all time is American Beauty. Kevin Spacey is another of my favorite actors. He's got more talent than 95% of any other actor out there. Of course, that's only my 2 copper.

Radical Edward
December 11th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Hehe I think im the only here who saw The Missing.

Kaylen
December 12th, 2003, 05:42 AM
I loved The Rundown. It was awesome. The Scorpion King was good, too; and I'm eagerly anticipating his next movie.

If you didn't mind Reloaded.. chances are you'll like Revolutions. I was really put off by the beginning of Reloaded, and didn't like it as much. In Revolutions, I was so scared during the entire movie - I was just waiting for it to suck. And then, it didn't. But this opinion is very much in the minority..

Going to see Return of the King and probably Last Samurai this month.

Zeal
December 12th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Last Samurai...

absolutely wonderful...

Other than the subtitle changes in order to give the english audiences a better understanding...it was excellent....

Meeshter
December 12th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Meet the Feebles (muppets on crack... literally)
DOOM HOUSE 2000 (you don't know what low cost production is until you've seen this!)

togashi
December 12th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Meet the Feebles: possibly the most disturbing thing I've ever seen. And I've been to enough screenings of the Rocky Horror Picture Show to start making my own script of call backs.

Last Samurai: could somebody please hold Tom Cruise down long enough to get him a haircut? Geez, it's been annoying me since M:I2. Haven't seen the movie yet, but I keep getting flashbacks to Ruroni Kenshin on Cartoon Network.

Harry Potter movies: Okay, I'm seeing a time problem here. In order to keep the cast together, and keep them looking like kids, they have to film and release a movie once every year, year and a half. The movies are on Book 3 now. Rowling took 3 years to write Book 5. Granted, she had a child in that time, but if the books become longer, and therefore harder to tie together, it'll be a couple of years before we see Book 6. By that time, Movie 5 will be finished filming and heading to editing. I'm thinking it'll be a tough thing for her to keep the writing good enough to draw readers at that pace.

Troy: Brad Pitt as a Greek hero: hope he bulked up. Even as Tyler Durden, he was still kinda lanky. If he looks like Russell Crowe in Gladiator, I'll be satisfied.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 12th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Last Samurai I won't see because from what I understand it is horribly historically inaccurate. Which just drives me nuts.

togashi
December 12th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Really? I've heard just the opposite.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 12th, 2003, 02:45 PM
From what I've been told, this movie has samurais swinging swords and whatnot around 1896. In reality, the samurai class didn't even EXIST by 1896.

Emperor Meiji introduced the "Imperial Oath of Five Articles" which started the process of dismantling the Samurai class. The samurai class lost its privileged position when feudalism was officially abolished in 1871. In 1876, Meiji declared a new law that ended the wearing of swords - the ultimate symbol of the warrior. Discontented former samurai rose in rebellion several times during the 1870s, the most famous being led by the former restoration hero Saigo Takamori. These uprisings were repressed only with great difficulty by the newly established (conscripted) national army.

Long before their swords were taken away, the samurai had become a bunch of paper-pushing government officials. They all carried swords, but most of them no longer knew how to use them. Also, by 1896, the Japanese were in a period Western idolization. They dressed western, they spoke more English, they wanted to do everything the way that the West did.

Tenolein
December 12th, 2003, 03:10 PM
I could have SWORN that The Last Samurai was dated later than the 1890's. Then again, I didn't pay much attention to the dates.

I plan on seeing Matrix: Revolutions, just currently waiting for the DVD. I too am currently waiting on the Rock's next movie. That guy is such a busy person, I don't know how he does it(He's currently finishing up one film, and while it's being premered, he is then working on yet ANOTHER film). Not only is he making movies, but he tries to make time for his wife and daughter(who's around 2 years now, I believe, also nicknamed Pebbles), AND he tries to make suprise appearances at WWE.

I know, I have no life. Oh well, you should see how much I know about Rocky's good friend in the 'wrastlin' business Mick Foley. =X

*EDIT* Grammar SUCKS!

Kaylen
December 12th, 2003, 04:51 PM
I don't know anything about Japanese history, even though it interests me greatly, so I'll still enjoy it.

It sounds to be if it were dated in the 1870s, it'd be pretty accurate - if there was even a large enough force that knew how to use a sword.

But.. I don't really go to the movies to see history, anyway. They're "neat" when they're historically accurate. They're extremely entertaining when they're made to be entertaining.

Of course, the history of the United Kingdom known as the Lord of the Rings kind of disproves this, but that is the on exception.

(Disclaimer: Due to a recent rise in stupidity globaly, I just want to add that yes, I am in fact not being serious)

Tenolein
December 13th, 2003, 12:27 AM
From what I've been told, this movie has samurais swinging swords and whatnot around 1896. In reality, the samurai class didn't even EXIST by 1896.

Emperor Meiji introduced the "Imperial Oath of Five Articles" which started the process of dismantling the Samurai class. The samurai class lost its privileged position when feudalism was officially abolished in 1871. In 1876, Meiji declared a new law that ended the wearing of swords - the ultimate symbol of the warrior. Discontented former samurai rose in rebellion several times during the 1870s, the most famous being led by the former restoration hero Saigo Takamori. These uprisings were repressed only with great difficulty by the newly established (conscripted) national army.

Long before their swords were taken away, the samurai had become a bunch of paper-pushing government officials. They all carried swords, but most of them no longer knew how to use them. Also, by 1896, the Japanese were in a period Western idolization. They dressed western, they spoke more English, they wanted to do everything the way that the West did.

Actually, I just saw the movie tonight, and I will be the first to say that it is dated starting at 1875-1877. The quote you posted was entirely accurate according to the movie. Yes, the samurai were banished in the movie, the only samurai there were was the 'rebels'. By the end of the movie, we see the law that ended the wearing of swords.

As for the story line, excellent. Not the best storyline ever, but far better than 90% of movies I've ever seen. I highly recommend seeing it, specially you Rhia. =P

Tenolein
December 14th, 2003, 01:16 AM
Ok, I know its a double post, but for those of you who are interested, listen up.

I mentioned before about the Rock's new movie, I just found a trailer for it, check it out here (http://www.walkingtallmovie.com/home.html). Looks pretty good to me, inspired by a true story movies are fairly decent in my opinion.

Kaylen
December 14th, 2003, 05:54 AM
That looks really cool. It's been awhile since there've been good action movies like this.. the only other one in recent memory is Bad Boys II.

Kat
December 14th, 2003, 10:13 AM
I just watched Bad Boys II last night. It was a good action movie. Very interesting use of the camera for some really cool scenes that weren't just a copy of all the other action scenes in other movies.

It was also very funny. I especially liked when they didn't know when they were on the video recorder in the store. :D

Funny and action packed.
A perfect turn off your brain and watch cool stuff happen movie.

Kaylen
December 14th, 2003, 10:15 AM
I loved the camera work in it. It's probably the best I've ever seen. But then, I don't have a very good memory. I definitely need to buy it soon.. I saw it in theaters awhile back on a whim.

Tenolein
December 14th, 2003, 09:53 PM
My girlfriend LOVES the Bad Boys movies, but I have yet to see them. I tried watching the first one twice, but I feel asleep.. Both times. =/

They seem to be good movies, I just pick horrid times to see 'em.