PDA

View Full Version : While I wait on the FFXI download....

Mutton
December 12th, 2003, 02:36 PM
I thought I'd ask all you kind and wonderful people to reiterate for me any info on where to go and what to do.

Tenolein
December 12th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Kill loads of baddies for mega experience!!!

Ok, I don't know, I don't play. =( Oh well, I tried.

Mutton
December 12th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Well, that's always a good place to start. It being a brave new world and all, I can't wait to rush out and join it. Like rocket skates downhill into a brick wall.

Tenolein
December 12th, 2003, 02:50 PM
2 words, Wile E. Coyote. Ok, that was 2 word and one letter.. You knew what I meant.

Mutton
December 12th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Some how I have a feeling the name Wile will be taken.

Jishia
December 12th, 2003, 07:57 PM
I would play, but I need a Credit Card, does anyone here work for a Bank? :roll:

Erling E.
December 12th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Is it just me who fail to see what's so exciting about Final Fantasy XI? Sure, it has a very popular setting, but there is not one single feature in the game that is original or very interesting. I bought it and tried it out for some time, but I could not really get myself to like it.

Kaylen
December 12th, 2003, 08:38 PM
The graphics/animations turned me off from getting it. I suppose the conquest thing is new, as well as the somewhat interesting crafting/crystal thing.

And the quests are said to be neat. But I've never tried it. Nothing has appeased my MMORPG appetitie since pre-Luclin EQ, though. Maybe I've just been overstimulated by it all. I was wanting to try DAoC out again, as I had a lot of fun and think I only got to level ten, but this ToA thing scares me.

Right now.. all my hopes rest with Sigil. Though, I may get that Middle Earth one, just because of the world.

(if it seems like I'm posting insanely, sorry. tired, vicoden, extremely bored, and I think I have something to say about everything)

Mutton
December 12th, 2003, 11:13 PM
I must say the keyboard controls for this game really do suck. I suppose I could spend an hour resetting everything up but I'll take the advice I've heard from others and just buy a game pad.

Erling E.
December 13th, 2003, 12:08 AM
Kaylen - amen! I place my hope in Sigil, too. I'm hoping Brad will revolutionize the genre once again, as he did with EverQuest.

As for the conquest system in Final Fantasy XI - it's not interesting at all. It makes me go into a yawn loop. Basically players kill stuff (as normal) to make their empire stand more out from the others. Then the players in the other empires must kill more creatures so they can get higher on some list. It's boring.

But I do have to say that I have very high expectations when it comes to MMORPGs these day. Most developers just do the same thing over and over again.

copasnece
December 13th, 2003, 02:29 AM
I've been playing FFXI for about 2 weeks now, and I'm really enjoying it. I think i posted before that it reminds me a lot of EQ but takes out 90% of the things i hated in EQ. And as for the conquest thing, they said on the main website that when they add PvP (think its the patch after the next patch), there will be battles (PvP) between kingdoms. Though i dont care for PvP it sounds cool. IF they do it right, hopefully it will take the idea SWG was trying for and do it right.

Anyway thats all beside the point, the orginal poster asked what to do when they get started. Well for one, if you haven't started yet, when you first enter the game, the NPC will talk to you and choose that you want to help people. You'll get an adventure's coupon, take that to the NPC they tell you to take it to, and you get 500gil. Not much but a nice starter.

Anyway you can start out doing a lot of stuff, you can walk around and talk to people and do quests (try and find a guy who basically gives you a quest to tour the city), or you can go out and kill things and level. If you decide to kill things, talk to the guards at the gate and make sure they cast signet on you, otherwise you wont get any crystals.

Anyway if you need any help and end up on my server, just send me a tell. Ill post what server i am tomorrow, im too tired to look it up right now and my memory sucks.

Shiach_gaidin
December 13th, 2003, 03:29 AM
What world are you on, baceause the GU crew is on valefor Visit www.cobblestoned.com/FFXI for more info on our linkshell, if you fell like joining that is.

Erling E.
December 13th, 2003, 06:45 AM
I. Hate. MMORPG. Quests.

They are terrifying. They are bad. They are grusome. The only ones that are remotely interesting is the vault quests in Asheron's Call 2, but even those are terrible.

I'm hoping for a revolution.

Kaylen
December 13th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Yes. MMORPG quests are boring and uninspired. SWG had a good idea - I liked the class base missions. But after two or three, it turns out those are boring, too.

What would you propose as a quest, Erling? Any ideas? I certainly don't have any.

Sorry if this is a complete derail.. I can start a new topic if it's necessary.

Mutton
December 13th, 2003, 07:45 AM
Well I forgot who to give that adventurer coupon to and handed it to some guard who gave me 50 gil. Plus I couldn't remember what server to join or how to trick it to give me the server I wanted so I'm on Fairy.

Thanks for the link Shaich. I know it's burried somewhere on these boards. I just didn't want to go digging for it.

*edit*
Just deleted my character on Fairy. Going to remake him and start over.
Server roulette is fun. :?

Mutton
December 13th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Gah....I'm begining to think this Valefor server you speak of doesn't exsist. Anyone have a world pass to spare?

Velenka
December 13th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Doh, mine expired last night. Talk to Sarius at GuShell forums (http://www.cobblestoned.com/FFXI).

Arishia
December 13th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Well, since I'm seeing a lot of negative remarks about quests from people I'm not entirely sure have played FFXI at all, I thought I'd chime in.

I rather like the quests in FFXI, and I'm having a lot of fun with them. Many of them have little cut scenes and story to go with them, and I haven't really found one that was poorly written yet. That comes from a person who's done at least 30 of them in both Bastok and San D'Oria.

A couple of them were a little annoying, but that mostly stemmed from me being too low level to complete them (And I'm just not brave enough to use my stealth spells to get to some of the locations, I have to go deep in dungeons). But most of them are along the lines of "Get these for me", "Go talk to so and so", "Go kill this for me", "Go have a look at something in a certain location for me"... maybe not totally revolutionary, but come on, what exactly is it you expect in a quest? Most of the rewards are pretty nice and each quest you do gives you a bit of fame in the city you do them for. I personally like walking into a bar and having an NPC recognize me by my deeds.

As for the conquest stuff... I'm not sure how anyone can call it boring. It's really just a background thing that occures with or without you. On your way out of the city, you get a "signet" from the guards. As long as you have the signet (It lasts a few hours, varying by your rank and country's standing) each mob you and your group kill counts towards your country's tally in whatever area you're hunting in. As long as you're getting exp, your country will gain some power in the area you're hunting in. About the only way you can "participate" in any grander fashion than this is by accepting an expedition... and when you do those, your group is sent to an area where your country is weak where you basically kill for a while with a greater amount of credit going to your country for each experience kill. It's really just an added thing that goes on while you're exping.

*shrug* FFXI may not be for everyone, but so far I think Square Enix has done a great job with it.

Mutton
December 13th, 2003, 10:38 AM
I don't think they were bashing the quests in FFXI itself but quests in MMORPGs in general.

I do have to complain about the server roulette you play to get onto the server you want.

Mutton
December 13th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Grats me on winning Valefor as my server after 3 hours of server roulette.

Erling E.
December 13th, 2003, 05:28 PM
What would you propose as a quest, Erling? Any ideas? I certainly don't have any.

I think Mythica will be the first MMORPG with "quests" that really pulls you in. Atleast if it turns out the way they say it will. I talked to the designer behind Mythica at E3 for over an hour. He was incredibly enthusiastic. He practically beamed with love for this game. He was jumping around, smiling and saying "Ah, I love to talk about this!".

Now, to your question. A good quest is difficult if not impossible to do in a MMORPG. However, the "private realms" or "private areas" functions will help it happen. That way, the game can pull you into this seperate area and practically present you with the same quest system as in a single-player game.

A good quest has to pull you in. It has to tell a captivating, yet easy to grasp story. Not entirely through text. Things have to animate and happen. Villagers must run at you when you enter their village, screaming "help us! help us!", as a huge towering giant can be seen in the distance. Then you have to add wits and resources to fight this giant, setting off triggers and solving puzzles that eventually leads you to the situation where you manage to capture the giant by breaking down trees and creating canyons by redirecting lava. Then you move in for the final blow, kill him, and return to the village to be celebrated as a hero. And your deeds must make a mark. That's important. Your deeds must be remembered.

That is, in short, a very good quest situation in my opinion. Yeah, it's difficult to implement in a MMORPG - but who says developing such games is supposed to be easy? It's time we strangle and throw out the garbage MMORPGs that are a dime a dozen these days. Hang 'em! Yes, I'm harsh, but I expect more from the industry than this.

Realmreaver
December 13th, 2003, 06:02 PM
quote=Kaylen
The graphics/animations turned me off from getting it. I suppose the conquest thing is new, as well as the somewhat interesting crafting/crystal thing.

GFX is actually excellant did you try to up the resolution do you even know it's avalible quite easily?

aagain this thing is worse on frocing you to group than even EQ so I stay clear of it till it changes... that and the lack of alot of americans on any one server sorta suckors too.

Kaylen
December 13th, 2003, 06:21 PM
It's mainly the animations that turned me off. The way the characters move doesn't get along with me.

copasnece
December 13th, 2003, 08:14 PM
What world are you on, baceause the GU crew is on valefor Visit www.cobblestoned.com/FFXI for more info on our linkshell, if you fell like joining that is.

My world begins with a K...like Kujah or something. I didn't know what world you guys were on so i just tooke whatever it gave me. My character is already level 15 (yeah not that high but still a pain to level again), so if they do another server migration thing or something that wont cost me more money to switch ill do that :)

Other then that i was thinking of making a second character but don't I need a world pass or whatever to make sure that character doesn't go on my server again?

Velenka
December 13th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Once a server has been picked for you, any characters made after that point will be on the same server. The only way you can get an alt on a different server is with a worldpass.

I would be MORE than glad to get worldpasses for folks wanting on, but I haven't had time to play in almost a week, and both of my toons are poor, poor, poor. Sling in a request-PM to Cobble, Euphem, or Sarius (all registered users on this forum), or hit up the GUShell-forums that have been linked here or in the "Announcements" section of this forum and see if any of them still has a pass, or if they could get one for you.

Sigh :( I need to get in game more!! *fume*

Dragonel
December 13th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Erling, what you describe reminds me a *lot* of Anarchy Online's mission system, where you roll for a set of missions based on parameters (stealth or combat oriented, mutants and monsters or human opponents, etc), with various objectives such as decrypting data chips, assasinating targets, or simply ascertaining their whereabouts... Complete the mission, you get a prize, a few credits, and a little exp.

Of course, in application, every mission ends up as either "click on this person," "click on this item," "use this item on that item," "kill this person," or "Bring this item back to the mission terminal," and the sliders don't seem to affect much at all.

Still, it'd be neat to see something like that done well.

Rosey
December 13th, 2003, 09:29 PM
It's a fun game. It's not as complex as EQ, no, but then again thus far has been relatively glitch-free. The quests seem easier to get since the NPCs involved point you very clearly where you need to go/who is next for information. It's very much like the previous FF games, it reminds me of the good old days playing FF on 8 and 16 bit Nintendo. And don't forget, if you're already on Phoenix, look me up as Valdae and I'll see about getting you in my LS.

Shiach_gaidin
December 14th, 2003, 03:25 AM
If anyone wants a worldpass i get lot's of playtime so just PM me and I will be happy to get you one, and if you don't know how to use it, then listen up when it asks you what server you want to select right after you put in your charachter name DON'T HIT ANYTHING! type in valefor and then the world pass # deaily will come up type in the # of the pass and you are good to go

*this is for the idiots like me who would spend an hour trying to figure out how to work it:P*

Erling E.
December 14th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Erling, what you describe reminds me a *lot* of Anarchy Online's mission system, where you roll for a set of missions based on parameters (stealth or combat oriented, mutants and monsters or human opponents, etc), with various objectives such as decrypting data chips, assasinating targets, or simply ascertaining their whereabouts... Complete the mission, you get a prize, a few credits, and a little exp.

Oh, no no no. Anarchy Online's mission system is horrid, in my opinion. You mean the whole "go to a computer, get a random mission and enter a door to carry it out", right? I can't stand that :-)

Dragonel
December 15th, 2003, 02:47 AM
Well, that was my point, Erling. Good concept, poorly executed :-)

I'll be very impressed, though, if anyone can do what you describe, ever.

Kaylen
December 15th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Moved to this thread (http://forums.gucomics.com/viewtopic.php?t=263).

Erling E.
December 15th, 2003, 05:49 AM
Well, that was my point, Erling. Good concept, poorly executed :-)

I'll be very impressed, though, if anyone can do what you describe, ever.

I think Mythica will come close, if not nail it. I have no idea how good the game will be, but at E3, the developers showed me some neat "instanced" stuff. We basically walked into a village that was overrun by monsters and we had to bring down some kind of lava pillar. I wasn't paying too much attention to the quest information :-)

Draconix
December 15th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Well, this is my first MMORPG game and I cant really compare to the others. But how ever I have enjoyed my time on there which is pretty much 18-22/7. Im a War30/PLD 17 on carbuncle server. The game however is lacking a few things.

Whats my point you ask? I have none, just the fact i enjoy it and I have known alot of people to quit due to the fact its too hard or cuz they die too much in qufim(Death Valley or Quf**ck. ) Im just babbling now, so I think I will save you the horror of reading this.