PDA

View Full Version : How does this sound for a name...

Druidic Elf
December 13th, 2003, 07:56 PM
I've recently been contemplating a name for my Elf Druid, and I was wondering what you thought of Magia Potente it's directly translated from Portuguese to mean 'Powerful Magic'. So please, tell me what ya' think ^_^!

Ciarin
December 13th, 2003, 08:41 PM
cool name.

Keiran
December 13th, 2003, 08:58 PM
It's nice. You may have some difficulty finding a server without someone named that already though. EQ doesn't allow multiple people with the same name.

Druidic Elf
December 13th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I sorta figured that, lol. So I have been thinking up some back up names, just in case.

Tenolein
December 13th, 2003, 11:38 PM
I go here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20010208b) for some back up names too.

Druidic Elf
December 14th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Thanks Tenolein, I'll keep this site in mind ^_^

Saethori
December 14th, 2003, 07:34 AM
It's fun to have names that mean something. ^^;

Although my main name has no real root, my surname was carefully devised.. It's more of a stylized play on words if anything else, though.

I've also made characters (though not in EQ) with names of Japanese origin.

Druidic Elf
December 14th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Awesome. If I could find a Japanese translator, I'd probably use that, lol.

ItzenaVZ
December 14th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Itzena's first name is pure name generator...albeit about the 50th button-press of it so I got a vaguely short and spellable one. :) Her surname (Alhazared) is as close as the /surname command could get me to Al'Hazred (In the Cthulu Mythos, the insane writer of the Necronomicon).

A lot of my characters tend to have similar types of name - generated forename and surname stolen from somewhere. Except my bazaar mule, of course, who had both her first and surname stolen from The Greatest Anime Ever. ;)

Keiran
December 14th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Itzena, you can get the ` symbol in your name, but you have to make a special /petition for it. I was able to name my beastlord Kutais And`Furball that way, crediting my adorable tiger pet with his own name.

I'm not sure if they can do the ' symbol, but they might be able to...

FuzzyBear
December 14th, 2003, 02:00 PM
It's the ` key, not the '

(top left keyboard. the lowercase ~, as opposed to the apostraphe)

I've petitioned about 3 of my 5 surnames. Only a GM or a senior guide can do it, as I understand, so it usually takes me a few days. You just have to manage to be online enough to be present when a GM takes time out to do surnames.

Good Luck!

(they can also change them for you later at any time)

Keiran
December 14th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Heh, yeah, Fuzzy, I caught myself and did an instant edit, but you caught it before it took effect.

Kaylen
December 14th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Are you sure you have to be online? I /petitioned, logged off, and the next day when I logged on I had my surname. They may have caught me right before I logged off.. there are always GMs on Luclin when I need them, they're just anonymous.

Keiran
December 14th, 2003, 02:17 PM
I was online myself... It was one of those all-day playing sessions. I petitioned about 8 in the morning and got an answer at midnight, just before logging off.

Ahnah
December 14th, 2003, 03:56 PM
You do have to be on line- at least according to hte GM I spoke with . Ahnah's surname is from a gaelic translator *cringe* it was as close as I could get . Its supposed to mean "the Shunned"
If anyone out there speaks gaelic..... let me know! =)

Trastero
December 14th, 2003, 03:59 PM
My Froglok cleric is named Dendribates Pumilio. Not clever, but cool, considering noone else had Dendribates, yet. See your freindly neighborhood search engine (or Answer Panda) for explanation. :-)

Kaylen
December 14th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Google says it's actually spelled Dendrobates.

ItzenaVZ
December 14th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Itzena, you can get the ` symbol in your name, but you have to make a special /petition for it.
There was already an Al'Hazred around when I dinged 20, and this was when Verant (as was) wouldn't give identical surnames except at a marriage.

Besides, it's close enough that people who would get it, get it. :)