PDA

View Full Version : You're in OUR World now! (12/15)

Woody
December 15th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Today's strip is the least of what Mr. Crosby can expect out of the EQ community now that he's been promoted to EQ Community Manager.

Now, when I first met Alan (Crosby), he was GM Brenlo. So, he's tasted the sting of how misguided the players can be when they start laying blame on SOE employees for things relating to EQ.

Not too very long after that first meeting he was promoted to be incharge of Customer Service. Sure, there might have been steps in between, but I'm talking actual meetings (Fan Faires). Now, moving from GM to Head of Customer Service, in my opinion, is like becoming the lead husky on a sled dog team. You're still doing the crap work for little return but atleast you not looking at someone elses ... er... well... you get the point.

But, now? Now, he's put on his big boy pants. He stepped into the single most unforgiving role in EQ. He's Mr. Big Cheese in Charge of Taking the Entire Community's Crap. Community Manager guy.

You see for some odd reason, in this community, everything that goes wrong somehow gets heaped onto the Community Manager's shoulders as if he'd done it himself.

So now that I've initiated Alan (by fire **grins**), let me say on his behalf...

He is our go between. When one of the MANY teams responsible for developing EQ has done something that's not working to the overall benefit of the game, Alan didn't do it. He's just the guy that lets us know what happened and how SOE tends to address it.

This does also mean, however, that when we have problems, we need to /feedback and/or take our problems to Alan (Brenlo). He's the guy that's going to explain OUR side to the devs.

I hope that makes sense, because I said it enough on Absor's behalf and no one seemed to hear it.

Now, as far as the Bard comment in today's comic goes: It seems that one of the first things Brenlo had to do, as the new Community Guy, was explain to the bards how some of their schtuff needed to be changed (http://pub147.ezboard.com/ftheconcerthallbackstage.showMessage?topicID=18479 .topic). Some was good, some was bad, and yeah, there was even a bit of a nerf involved. But, to his credit, he layed it out there straight and clear with no double talk and no SOE-isms.

So, if you'd like to take a moment to welcome Brenlo to his new position, or the GU Community specifically, go right ahead. That's what this post is hear for.

(-=Phoenix=-)
December 15th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Heh. welcome to Woody's world, Alan. =P

Haradek Shadowstalker
December 15th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Good luck Brenlo

~H

Iiliani Seadream
December 15th, 2003, 09:51 AM
*waves*

Hi there!

Now, I have a list of all the things that are wrong, that you will need to be addressing, I hope you have a pen....

;)

Miaugi
December 15th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Welcome Alan, hope you are as good at taking a joke as Absor was!

Lirren
December 15th, 2003, 10:08 AM
/hugs Bren. I was always one of Hasbro's biggest supporters, so my pom poms are at your service now. And they can call me a fangirl if they wanna, I don't care. :p

Mennayr
December 15th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Welcome...we will now commence our whining and consant complaining at your expense. Oh and good luck.

Brenlo
December 15th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Tell them about the Faerie wings and tutu? I thought that was our Fan Faire secret.

Thanks for the initiation Woody and thanks all for the welcome.

Billybobtheranger
December 15th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Welcome to the darkside of the scwartz

Satarus
December 15th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Well I suppose its hard to stay mad at someone wearing a tutu and fairy wings, even if he is hitting you kinda hard with the nerf stick.

Coffee
December 15th, 2003, 12:30 PM
How many times can a Halfling use the word update in one post?

Let's ask Mr. Owl.

I'm starting to like this guy already. Sense of humour is a must for EQ's ombudsman.

Satarus
December 15th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Yeah I think Brenlo will be a good replacement for Absor, and not be the liar that Abashi was.

Min the Druid
December 15th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Are you sure they aren't Bixie wings?

Shrineerune
December 15th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Good luck with the new position, Brenlo!

I will not comment on what position that might be... hah.

It is a good thing that you have Bixie power, it will get you through the tough times and multiple threads on the Newbie forum that start with something like "Just a straight answer Brenlo!" haha

Honestly, I don't know how Absor managed to retain his sense of humor and professionalism sometimes (he even went beyond that and was often hilarious). *waves pompoms for Absor*

You seem to be made of similar good stuff! *waves pompoms for you*
Stoooone hiiiiiiiiiiveeee.....

Leldari
December 15th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Good luck Brenlo. Just remember that it's instinct to go for the messenger. We don't mean 90% of what we say to be taken personally.

Realmreaver
December 15th, 2003, 01:33 PM
where can I see info about bards changes I no longer play but bards is my fav class in the game... *it's also the only class I can stomach in that game*

Zinj
December 15th, 2003, 03:11 PM
I hate nerfs, even when they happen to other classes.

Zinj

Ravashack
December 15th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Errr...

/blink

Fearie wings?

Aeria
December 15th, 2003, 04:50 PM
yeah this new guy is pretty cool...I like him he makes me smile.

Kinarie
December 15th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Okay, I have to say, I really LOVE Brenlo. When I used to play (a year ago) I still remember the kindness he showed me. I doubt he remembers, this was over... hell.. 3 years ago? (Maybe I even have the wrong name, but I am pretty sure I am right.)

I was camping ragefire with my cleric, and I was bored out of my skull. Suddenly he pops up (in dark elf form, I assume to be more liked by my DE cleric :) ). I was SO bored, and he talked to me for a while, like 30 minutes. I don't think he had much to do, but he showed me a ton of cool games to do when camping for ragefire (old school, sol B, kill naggy to get him to spawn, 44 hour camp days). Games like blackjack, making pictures on the ground with coppers and bracer of hammerfall hammers, drunken tag, and probably a few others.

He said he liked to come in and cheer people up in the long boring camps (this was on Rodcet Nife btw). He sure did it for me, enough to make me remember four years later.

I have since quit eq, but that impression will probably remain with me for the rest of my gaming days.

In a way it is sad. Brenlo was a great GM. I really hope he doesn't lose those skills as a PR guy. I hope he doesn't become jaded and frustrated with the players because of all of the negativity in the game.

Erling E.
December 15th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Yep, not all GMs are as bad as people supposedly wants them to be.

Toktuk
December 16th, 2003, 12:06 AM
I guess December is "Beat the Bards with a Nerf Bat" month, even in EQOA (http://everquestonlineadventures.station.sony.com/dev_view.jsp?id=59727). :D

-Tok

Takara
December 16th, 2003, 12:18 AM
All bards deserve a good beating every once and a while.. *giggles*

*hugs Toktuk*

Nosferatu
December 16th, 2003, 02:48 AM
Wow, that thread on Concert Hall is probably a prime reason why I won't go there, ever.

Beyond Brenlo's posts, and a few others, there were just too many posts that seemed to be written by drunk people, or people in their 30's still wondering if a GED is a light on an alarm clock.

More power to you, Brenlo. I could never, ever do what you are doing.

Aeria
December 16th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Wow, that thread on Concert Hall is probably a prime reason why I won't go there, ever

Lol yeah, I rarely go and look at forums for the classes anymore...last time I did other than Steele Warrior was to see the Wizard's Mana Burn get nerfed...as a warrior who had to contend with Manaburn groups ganking the Dragon I needed over and over (Severilous) I was a bit unsypathetic to thier cries...in fact I think I was quite giddy in my posts pointing out to them websites where wizards posted how much it would cost me to get my mob and scale for my epic. Bards do need nerfed...I just hope that when the bat gets swung it is not overkill, hey what am I saying...this is Sony and they never go overboard.

Death666
December 16th, 2003, 05:19 AM
Hello, Alan v2.0!

Kelori
December 16th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Brenlo is a wonderful GM, and great with talking to people and speaking in a way anyone can understand. I wish him well in his promotion though I will miss him as a GM, but this new position may suit him better *sniffles*

Pike Tha Blodd
December 16th, 2003, 06:34 PM
my experience in the psuedo-fine dining industry (no, not TGI Fridays) as a waiter you are the official designated punching bag for everything that goes wrong, so i feel like i can understand customer relations, anyone who can joke around with that kind of annoyance day in and day out has a special place in heaven with all the beer and cookies they could ever want

good luck Brenlo, the waiters of the world are rooting for ya!!

Mutton
December 16th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Liked the initiation they did on The Fallen today. Brenlo was there over watching the GM event where we all got to kill Absor. All I wanted to do was catch a working boat to Erudin but instead I got spamed with messages of "must kill Absor".

Velenka
December 16th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Gah, I can't believe I missed that!

Shadowdragoon
December 16th, 2003, 11:57 PM
so thats why my computer crashed, (mainboard "fried") so I would not get to that.