PDA

View Full Version : But, I've REALLY gotta go... (12/16)

Woody
December 16th, 2003, 02:35 AM
So, I don't actually have tickets myself. **sighs** But, in my made up fantasy comic dream world, I'm there with popcorn dammit.

Of course, even in my made up fantasy comic dream world, there would be an outside source of frustration to keep me from completely enjoying the experience... and... as the comic clearly shows...
That would be Ted.

Just thought, I'd make a comic about the event. **shrugs**

I'm sure plenty of you can relate.

Ciarin
December 16th, 2003, 02:40 AM
LOLIMM

I'm sure that actually will occur in some theaters, teehee.

Satrah
December 16th, 2003, 03:11 AM
From what I've been told tomorrow/today (the 16th) in certain theaters....there will be a showing of all three LoTR movies. To those that are seeing all of them....LUCKY =)

Then again...I do hope no one has Ted's *coughes* problem.

*chuckles* Thanks Woody. Gave me a few giggles thinking about a few of those lucky people that I know of. *grins evilly*

Satrah

Satrah
December 16th, 2003, 03:17 AM
*bleh* apologizes for my brain fart....you already know about the all day marathon. 8-p

Sorry about that. Just too tired and need to be tucked into bed.

Satrah

DaMrac
December 16th, 2003, 04:20 AM
haha! I always go to movies alone. on rare occasions I'm with someone. Last movie I was with someone was friend of mine, we went to see The Last Samurai. when the ninjas attacked teh village friend was tapping me maniacly and was like; HEY MARK!! NINJAS!!! lol

plan on watching LOTR return of the king alone!! tomorrow!! 10:00AM!! first showing of the day!! Ive seen the first 2 LOTRs couple times already and dont need to see em again but wouldnt mind seeing em again before watching return of the king.

DaMrac
December 16th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Ive always liked Ted btw, makes whatever comic you do extra funny.

xanzabak
December 16th, 2003, 04:42 AM
I'm going to a midnight showing. I can't wait. :)

Dubheasa
December 16th, 2003, 05:11 AM
I have to wait to see it....*grumble* Stupid job...stupid babies being born...can't they wait a couple of day? *sigh* What's a girl to do?

Tarnaquis
December 16th, 2003, 05:27 AM
We gots ourselveses a ticket yeeeesss...it's ours it is, we wants it...we needs it...gotta see the prrrreeeciousss!

...only a few hours more *gollum* *gollum*! :twisted:

Kat
December 16th, 2003, 05:38 AM
I'm going to see it probably just after Christmas. I am secretly hoping the Aragorn inspirational speach does not end up too reminiscent of "Brave Heart" :D

Oh and Dubbheasa, I'll quote you some wisdom from Peter Griffin (Family Guy) It's the same advice he offered his sister-in-law when she was going into labor,
"If you start lettin' that kid call the shots now yer' screwed."

Lirren
December 16th, 2003, 06:32 AM
We've got our tickets for Sunday afternoon and the babysitter lined up. I'm SO excited. I wish I could do the marathon thing, but #1, I don't think I could sit in a theater that long, and #2, I have to work. Ahh, the days of sweet freedom and youth that have slipped from my grasp...

Lenardo
December 16th, 2003, 07:06 AM
unfortunately no place in my area (damn you loews) is doing the marathon (without going to boston)

so i am suffering

tomrrow 7pm with the wife.

rayfinkle
December 16th, 2003, 07:09 AM
lol, i used to work in a cinema, i remember during the original showing of LotR: FotR that i found a used Aquafina bottle, ewwwwww!! nasty bastards could have atleast taken it out with them. =P

Velenka
December 16th, 2003, 07:24 AM
*shudder* Remind me to bactine myself when I get back form the movie theater..

Gothmatum
December 16th, 2003, 07:45 AM
I may not be in a theater today, but I'll be damned if I don't watch both EE DVDs back to back tonight. And I WILL have popcorn.

Jobou
December 16th, 2003, 08:10 AM
I have tickets to the trilogy, in Cleveland. It was sold out in a few hours. Cant wait, starts in a few hours !

Don't feel so bad Woody, You might have had to take Ted with you.... But I got to take my WIFE ! ** Runs of screaming in terror **

Jobou

Liedt
December 16th, 2003, 08:28 AM
That very same thing happened to me during the first Fellowship film. After buying tickets back on Dec 19th 2001, I thought it just wouldn't be a complete movie going premire experience without the obiquitous popcorn and soda. So, like just about every movie going patron in the world, I bought some. But I noticed the difference in price from a small soda to the huge 55gal drum of cherry coke (tm) was about a nickle. So I bought the huge one. Well, I got as far as the crossing of the Caradhras and that was it for me. You never saw someone dash as fast as I did to empty the reserve tank. I think I only missed perhaps 3 minutes of footage. Yes, i know the feeling all too well.

On a second note;
I know artists like to throw in firends of theirs or people they have seen in real life as backround faces. I couldn't help notice the red-headed girl behind Woody in the theatre, the one with the neck choker. It sorta looked like the picture of Valenka from this forum but without glasses. Was it anyone you know? Or, just impromtu artistry?

Liedt, Bard Composer

Darley Marilith
December 16th, 2003, 08:48 AM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Living in Albuquerque, I'm tempted to actually find the people from New York to see if its true, or another Urban legend.
I'm going with my husband, sister, bro-in-law, a friend, and husband's co-workers. I think we'll be close to filling up an entire row by ourselves. lol.

Satarus
December 16th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Why sit for 13 hours for that kind of marathon? I saw Fellowship 2 weeks ago and Two Towers last friday in the theater. Also went and reread parts of return of the king while I was at work in the school library.

Woody
December 16th, 2003, 09:36 AM
I pride myself with having a somewhat strong/large bladder. When it's got to be held... I can hold it.

But, I had to make a mad dash during Fellowship myself. **shakes his head**

I sat there uncomfortably sweating for a very long time. It was just dumb luck that I was caught off gaurd or something.

I blame Kentucky.

No.6
December 16th, 2003, 09:39 AM
I may not be in a theater today, but I'll be damned if I don't watch both EE DVDs back to back tonight. And I WILL have popcorn.

Exactly! This way I don't have to board the dog (and pay $45 for tickets, plus movie popcorn prices, pop, lunch and dinner).

OK, ok, so what really happened is that here the Trilogy Tuesday tickets were distributed by lottery and I didn't win.

Woody, is that PJ in the upper left? Another cameo appearance for the carrot-chewing, spear-throwing director?

Woody
December 16th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Who is PJ?

Satarus
December 16th, 2003, 09:43 AM
peter jackson?

Woody
December 16th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Hmm. If you DID mean Peter Jackson, the answer is no.

That's just some guy I drew to fill up space.

Satarus
December 16th, 2003, 10:06 AM
On a second note;
I know artists like to throw in firends of theirs or people they have seen in real life as backround faces. I couldn't help notice the red-headed girl behind Woody in the theatre, the one with the neck choker. It sorta looked like the picture of Valenka from this forum but without glasses. Was it anyone you know? Or, just impromtu artistry?

Any comment on that Woody?

Woody
December 16th, 2003, 10:14 AM
It is very rare that I draw "filler" people in the background of strips.

When I do "in game" comics, I will occassionally fill up space with guildmates, people I've grouped with, etc.

But to answer those questions specifically... No. It's just some girl I drew to fill up space.

There's just NO point, for a comic already full of detail, in adding MORE time to the process by trying to do a caricature of someone I know.

It's just not efficient or effective. I hate doing caricatures.

No.6
December 16th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Oh well, it kinda looks like him. :)

6, who was formerly Llarieth before mucking up his password and leaving a last contact addy that's two ISP's old.

Velenka
December 16th, 2003, 10:35 AM
I am really sorry to derail this thread. I really am.

But it's VELENKA.

*fume*

EDIT: I'm not trying to pick on you, LiedT, but you're not the only one on this forum who has no idea how to spell my name. In game (FFXI, EQ, SWG) and on other forums, everyone calls me Valenka. It's starting to get on my nerves.

DaMrac
December 16th, 2003, 11:08 AM
I always pee right before walking into the movie theatre and i NEVER EVER!!! EVERRR!!! eat/drink during a movie, its just a distraction and I want to understand everything!! and If I gotta go for some reason after a 3hour movie, I just hold it in!!! I WILL NEVER EVER!!!! step out during a movie! yea I'm a movie finatic :) this one time though I wanted to walk out of a movie (Identity), the movie was so bad but I wanted to get my money's worth and kept watching it. does going out demanding your money back really work? anyway, I'm looking forward to LOTR: return of the king tomm0row!

I usually go like in the morning (first showing of the day) on a weekday to avoid crowds.

Cerran
December 16th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Although I want to be there opening night, there is something to be said for avoiding the rush of the big crowd to go see a movie. The last time I saw Two Towers in the theater, it was almost empty which was very nice. My wife and I got to kick back an enjoy the film without all the hassle of the crowded theater. I think we may do the same this year and wait until the weekend when things have calmed down a bit before we go.

Kaylen
December 16th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Opening night here would probably be pretty deserted. It's the weekends when everyone in the world comes out.. I went to see a movie Saturday night, and left because it was so crowded. Then I had to see the Matrix Revolutions on a weekend, and people were laughing and talking.. it's infuriating watching movies with crowds of other people.

Tadashya
December 16th, 2003, 12:10 PM
the greeneyed redhead could be me too...

I am gonna pretend it is.. cuz that's the only way I am gonna get to see this movie cuz we have no babysitter we trust here :? Usually I can sneak out for a matinee.. but dang... noon matinee 3+ hours and I am still not home in time.

looks like DVD for this one :P

Kat
December 16th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Ugh, a babysitter for 3 kids, for a 3 hour movie, plus travel time, plus the movie tickets.

Ack!

Jete
December 16th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Ive got to agree that watching both extended DVD's back to back is much better...you can be in your Pj's and if you need to go to the bathroom you can just stop it =)

we managed to get midnight tickets at the very last moment for tonight +D I cant wait.

Takara
December 16th, 2003, 01:55 PM
I would love to see the movies on opening night.. and i wish my ass could take 12 hours of movie-going...

but alas... i'll probably see the movie next weekend.

Tadashya
December 16th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Ugh, a babysitter for 3 kids, for a 3 hour movie, plus travel time, plus the movie tickets.

Ack!

oh you know it. We've skipped out on seeing the Mystic Seaport due to cost.. we thought $60 would be outrageous.. Then we went to see Brother Bear (a matinee no less) and OMG! $30 for the movie and another $30 for minimal snackage.

My husband is taunting me saying that he's gonna skip work and see this with the guys.... I might have to hurt him :D

Gnomish
December 16th, 2003, 02:19 PM
I am gonna see RoTK on saturday... woo hoo! gonna get to the theatre early!!!

Enchanter
December 16th, 2003, 02:53 PM
i want to go tomarrow, but i will probably see it on friday....

Coffee
December 16th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Intentional or not the chap in the upper left corner looks a bit like Peter Jackson.
Anyhoo, this one made me chuckle a bit.

Filan Fyretracker
December 16th, 2003, 02:56 PM
what i wanna know is why didnt newline let more theaters do the trilogy, there was definatly market for it. gotta love bad business decisions just to drive up press.

Celdryn
December 16th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I know, we're all going to see it anyway, but I can't ignore this.

It won the New York Film Critics Circle Best Picture for 2003 - this is a group that traditionally awards the 'smaller' films and ignores the big studio productions.

Over at Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com) its clocking in at 66 fresh, 0 rotten. Average rating 9.6.

Thats a HUGE thing. Even those who hated the first ones (Richard Roeper, Sasha Stone and a few others) seem converted by this one.

They all say to bring tissues, as well. :D

I wanted to post this because I want to see PJ and company get their just desserts and get that little gold man in February. That said, many critics feel that if the Academy fails to award RotK best picture this year, considering how everyone says it is so much better than everything else, the Oscars may lose some credibility.

Im a movie geek, I follow this stuff.

All I can say is...Hooray!!

In about 24 hours from now I will be finally seeing this, and all I can say to myself, after seeing all of these reviews, is...It cant be this good...can it?!

Woody
December 16th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Gosh, I never realized that by putting glasses and a beard on someone... you made them look like peter jackson. Go figure.

And Filan, if it drove the press up, and made money... it wasn't really a bad business decision was it? Now, if it had gone unknown and cost most... THAT would have been a bad business decision. **shakes his head**

Coffee
December 16th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Woody, I think with the movie as much on the brain as it is that's about all it would take for some of us to see what is not there. It's a mental association I would not have made otherwise.

Woody
December 16th, 2003, 04:02 PM
**puts on glasses and a fake beard**

I'm Peter Jackson... buy me a car.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 16th, 2003, 04:04 PM
RoTK not getting the Oscar won't really ruin their credibility. Honestly, odds are against it for winning because trilogies never win. Not saying it won't, but odds are not in its favor. Also, Oscar tends to feel that box office smashes like LOTR dont need an Oscar because they have already gotten recognition in terms of box office revenue.

Oscar's reputation got ruined a long time ago. The awards are more political than anything else. I mean... Denzel Washington got an Oscar for Training Day? Sure, he's a great actor, but that movie was NOT an Oscar movie, it was just a popcorn flick.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 16th, 2003, 04:05 PM
*buys Woody a car*

Woody
December 16th, 2003, 04:10 PM
"Titanic" won 11 Oscars.

Keisu_Reishiu
December 16th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Try being pregnant during the Fellowship. I could hold my bladder in despite being in the third trimester and all I was drinking was fruit juice during that movie. And somehow 3 hours of the baby kicking me didn't take away from the movie. Two Towers had me wanting to go badly too. But I held it in for 2 hours. Besides I was in the middle of the row and I couldn't get anyone's attention long enough to get out.

Filan Fyretracker
December 16th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Titanic was a drama, LOTR is a fantasy which is a movie type the Acadamy will never let win best picture.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 16th, 2003, 05:10 PM
It's a trilogy AND a fantasy. Two strikes against it. It could win, but I'm not really holding my breath.

Leldari
December 17th, 2003, 12:01 AM
I just got home from watching the trilogy. Word to the wise get your snacks before the movie and potty during the trailers. You will NOT want to get up for even a minute. There are no slow filler scenes. Personally as a huge fan of the books I saw the changes and know what was dropped. But it in no way harmed the story. Honestly we were in the theatre for 3 and 1/2 hours and I don't know if my butt could have taken anymore :lol:

P.S. That was 3 and 1/2 hours for just RoTK. We were actually there 12 and 1/2 hours total.

Twyll Oathtaker
December 17th, 2003, 12:58 AM
sorry all but someones got to say it.... DEPENDS!!

Thornn
December 17th, 2003, 05:26 AM
I did the marathon yesterday...soooo tired atm. The theater here in Cleveland brought in lunch for us and we also got a collectible frame with a film cell from each movie. Kinda nice.

Movie was great and I loved the humor of gimli and legolas that were part of the extended scenes in Two Towers.

Laters,

Thornn

Ciarin
December 17th, 2003, 05:29 AM
I won't be able to see ROTK.....

double shift= :(

Kat
December 17th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Hey Woody, if you're Peter Jackson now could you please buy me a car? You should be wealthy now and probably need a tax deductable donation. Eh? Eh? :D

Personally when I saw LOR-TFotR I never noticed the time go by. I was completely transported. Same happened with The Two Towers, but there were times when I felt it drag. Middle acts usually do that.

I can't wait to see Return of the King. These movies are SO much better in the theater than at home, they seem more epic and sweeping. I wonder if I would be able to contain myself for an IMAX showing?

/swoon

Ciarin
December 17th, 2003, 05:49 AM
how is woody peter jackson?

Kat
December 17th, 2003, 05:53 AM
**puts on glasses and a fake beard**

I'm Peter Jackson... buy me a car.

Like this Ciarin. :D

Ciarin
December 17th, 2003, 06:03 AM
oh, i must have missed that.

LOLIMM

Woody
December 17th, 2003, 02:06 PM
It was sarcasm regarding glasses and beards.

Tuluz
December 17th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Great comic I couldn't stop laughing. I live in Albuquerque as well and I that went to the marathon. I love the movies and the books but I don't think I could stand all those people making noise etc. Plus I have a 2 1/2 month old son don't want to bring stuff home to him. the flu is horrible out here right now.

I really want to see the movie but I think I will go on one of my weekdays off in the morning to miss all the crowds. :) It's not that I don't like people, it is that I don't like it when they are stupid. :)

As far as Denzel goes I agree Training Day is not the movie he should have won an Oscar for. I think he played an excellent bad guy. Rare roll for him. But he has had better roles which he has been gyped on. So I think he should have an oscar or two but not for the movie he got it for. Just my two CP.