PDA

View Full Version : Mmm...Mud Cake. (12/17)

Woody
December 17th, 2003, 02:53 AM
As soon as this joke was emailed to me, I knew it had to be drawn.

I'm sure most of you know about the Mage fix, and how upset some mages are about it. And if you don't know, just look at some of the posts on this very board. There's a thread about it already.

I've already commented on it, so I won't do so again here. But, I think the barbarian sums up my feelings on the matter pretty well.

---

And for those of you wondering... Mud Cake (read: Mississippi Mud cake) is a delicious chocolaty treat of tastiness and unrenlenting fatty evil. **drools**

Merdakai
December 17th, 2003, 02:57 AM
I'd love some mud cake.

fatty evil is good evil.

Nosferatu
December 17th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Or sucking AIR! (couldn't help it)

Kaylen
December 17th, 2003, 03:17 AM
Water is tasty and delicious. Freshly summoned, natural spring. Imported, of course.

On another note, I love the way you drew the High Elf. Neat hair.

Ciarin
December 17th, 2003, 03:20 AM
/chuckle

Ahnah
December 17th, 2003, 04:02 AM
HAHAHAH!

Dragonel
December 17th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Eheh. Eheh. Eheheheh.

Satrah
December 17th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Okay.....erm...what does a mage do when it's a fire element pet? (besides get burnt :? )

Satrah

P.S. *snickers* like the comic Woody....just had to ask since everyone else had interesting ideas what to do with the other pets.

El Cuchillo
December 17th, 2003, 04:55 AM
We call that 'cajun' where I'm from.

Reymi_VZ
December 17th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Oh - didn't know about the nerf.... taking a week off EQ.

I know necros had reclaim energy years back - Does this affect them also?

Great little comic - totally reminded me of a mage in our guild.

Thankyou.

Mordican
December 17th, 2003, 05:17 AM
hehe, thats what I needed :) Thanks Woody.

Joborab
December 17th, 2003, 07:40 AM
What happened? I no longer play EQ, so...

Satarus
December 17th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Well pet canni has been in the game since beta, i think they should nerf it a bit, but not to the extent that they are nerfing it. Oh well guess bards aren't the only ones getting spanked with the nerf stick.

Coffee
December 17th, 2003, 09:07 AM
**Gives Woody a Hot Wheels car.**
Sorry PJ, best I can afford on my pay.
Great comic today by the way, but nothing new about that.
And yes, mud cake is just about the most awsomest thing ever.

Wolf
December 17th, 2003, 09:35 AM
I never really understood what this spell did, when i started i thought it got the mana back from summoning the pet but then noticed it didnt when i started my first mage. So what does it do anyways? I used to think it also gave back the stuff you gave your pet but that also didnt work.

Perelandra
December 17th, 2003, 09:38 AM
For those of you wondering, on certain Magician Pets (starting at level 49), using Reclaim Energy on them returned more mana than it cost to cast. The technique was called Pet Cannibilization or Pet Canni. Which of course leads to the jokes about magicians eating their pets.

This only really worked with the earth pets, hence Woody's joke about eatting mud.

Thanks Woody - it's a great comic!

Perelandra

Jishia
December 17th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Reclaim Energy kills your pet and returns a partial ammount of mana that was used to summon it, and there are different reclamations that can be used, and much much later in the mage's career their reclaim becomes greater then the cost of the Pet spell, meaning that in downtime a Mage can summon an Epic pet and eat it for positive mana which they use to summon Mod Rods.

Not very lucrative as others but it is generally all they have.

Zan the Avitar
December 17th, 2003, 09:44 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
*Falls over*
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAaaaaaaa....
I think the sleep deprivation from my insomnia is getting to me....

Mordican
December 17th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Reclaim Energy kills your pet and returns a partial ammount of mana that was used to summon it, and there are different reclamations that can be used, and much much later in the mage's career their reclaim becomes greater then the cost of the Pet spell, meaning that in downtime a Mage can summon an Epic pet and eat it for positive mana which they use to summon Mod Rods.

Not very lucrative as others but it is generally all they have.

completely wrong :) See my rant for why under the Pet Canni Explained part.

Jem Rdan
December 17th, 2003, 09:58 AM
With the 65 earth pet (which i have, I like this little stunt), top end mages can get up to 340 mana a tic summoning this pet and reclaiming it. If they have the highest level focus, earth pet has like... 5400hp unbuffed? Reclaim gives 1/10th of pets current hp as mana... costs 400 to summon... specialize conjure, SCM3, effieciency items, etc...

I hate to see it fixed, but its really quite rediculous.

And epic would be dumb to reclaim, i think... the orb takes 500 to summon and it has less hp than earth pet. *shrug*

Thanks Woody :)

Kat
December 17th, 2003, 10:01 AM
After the first time I cast Reclaim Energy I never cast it again. It was absolutely worthless at the time. If it stayed that way until level 49, I imagine it is something left over from when level 50 was the peak and maybe it was considered a "high end" benefit.

Jishia
December 17th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Easy, it's been years since i've played a Mage, i'm bound to get some things wrong. :lol:

Kaylen
December 17th, 2003, 11:32 AM
I usually used Reclaim Energy instead of just plain offing my skeleton, if I was going to zone or something. It gave me tasty mana.

KiTA
December 17th, 2003, 11:34 AM
and I'm pretty sure that's the whole idea of the spell, Kaylen. =)

Kaylen
December 17th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Yes.. I know that. I was just saying it because some people find it worthless, where I find it better than not getting anything.

Catila Amano
December 17th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Okay.....erm...what does a mage do when it's a fire element pet? (besides get burnt :? )Goodness, gracious! Great balls of fire!

darkpaw
December 17th, 2003, 11:56 AM
I don't think theres any use for the mage fire pet period.

Cougarshand
December 17th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Toasting marshmallows maybe, Darkpaw?

Mordican
December 17th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Would be nice if we could use fire pets as a Baking tool or decrease camp rate or something...

Believe it or not the one place the fire pet was useful was for beating the epic pet in a duel :) the fire pet never attacked so it never ate the insane DS from the epic :)

Satarus
December 17th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Mage fire pet is perfect for emporer fight. He sits there and casts nukes the whole time, mostly fire based, but he does try and foce shock a bit.

FYI emporer ssra is immune to melee (unless bane weapon) and immune to magic.

LordRahl86
December 17th, 2003, 02:33 PM
I'm sick of people talking about how mages are SO unbalanced now because they can't pet canni. I hope they realize they've been planning this, what with the new hp/mp regen spell, http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=3031, Xegony's (My favorite nonworshipable god!) Phantasmal Guard. Which works while we're sitting and medding, rather than casting new pets and canni'ing them.

Now, my mage isn't high enough to take real advantage of pet canni, but frankly, they just don't need it anymore, IMO. Our pet handles some of our DPS, as well as a few bonuses per pet (fire nuking, water... nuking, earth rooting, air stunning), so we don't rely so much on our spells to do damage, as wizards do. Yes, our spells DO, in fact, do more dmg than our pet, but we aren't as reliant on them as wizards.

Also, when in the serverwide mage chat, I came upon a person complaining that mages are less able to solo than some classes, and it was a bad thing because mages were built from a "Solo template". I don't know about the rest of you, but I consider advancing one's self a good thing. And yeah, it's a virtual world, but the mage class itself is advancing. And if you wanna solo, if you're reading this, dude, make a new mage. Those things can solo stuff my SK, necro, etc can't.

Mordican
December 17th, 2003, 04:11 PM
*sigh* the uninformed... Xegony's Does NOT stack with community mana regen spells, namely Pot9 type spells. Necros, Wizzards, Druids, etc all get self buffs that DO stack.

Soloing tatics are uncomparable between root, non-root, snare, and non-snare classes.

Landsknecht
December 17th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Um, anytime solo play comes up I feel the need to chime in. Deal with it. Believe it or not, there are classes that can't solo, or at least, where it's simply not feasible to solo.

Billybobtheranger
December 17th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Sounds like to me this was a game exploit of a bug that should have been corrected years ago.

Kaylen
December 17th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Okay.. so you're upset about your mana regen when you have outside mana regen buffs up so often, SOE making one for you is useless?

It just feels like an awful lot of negativity and pointless bickering about anything they do to your class. Lord Rahl may be quite informed - but how is he, or anyone else, to know a mana buff is bad?

Just to state again the main point of this post - you're complaining about pet canni going away, when you have outside mana regen up so often that a self, non-stackable mana regen is useless?

I wish they'd give me a nice little fear that maybe wouldn't stack with darkness to make up for the PvP nerf. I certainly wouldn't complain about it.

John Dyne
December 17th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Actually, last my necro got any kind of mana regen spell, my Hp -> mana conversion spells overwrote them if they were better or even. If they weren't, they didn't take hold. *shrug*

Gnomish
December 17th, 2003, 09:44 PM
mmm... dirt... uhh.. no.. :P

Lancetheavatar
December 17th, 2003, 11:20 PM
/cheer Woody.

Pet canni is available(was available) from 49+. Using Monster Summoning 2, I clocked a 5% mana gain per cast at level 57. I then realized it was a cheap tactic, and that it was seriously bugged.

Thus, I'm dancing that they finally fixed it. That's right, fixed. While some will argue that the Mage class was "built around" pet canni, it simply isn't true. The reason it took so long to fix was because it was not a problem till now. In truth, SoE would have probably never noticed it unless a certain someone hadn't posted the formulas for it over on the Mage Tower.

FuzzyBear
December 18th, 2003, 01:39 AM
Is it my brain, or did the background coloration on this change from when I saw it before work, to now, some 18 or so hours earlier. I like what I see now, better than what I saw before, the deeper colors add a very(ed-- that means intense) sense of emotion and depth to the rest of the image, without intruding on the subject matter.

Can anyone confirm what I think I saw? or did my first final just throw my brain in a jar, attach wax lips, and go canoeing?

LordRahl86
December 18th, 2003, 01:49 AM
*sigh* the uninformed... Xegony's Does NOT stack with community mana regen spells, namely Pot9 type spells. Necros, Wizzards, Druids, etc all get self buffs that DO stack.

Actually, the person said we get NO buffs to cast on ourselves, and that we MUST group with someone with things like KEI and Pot9 in order to get the regen (edit: or pay them), I was simply saying that we DO get 6 points of mana per tick, and while VoQ is still 3 times that, it's still a self mana regen per tick spell that mages get. I never said it stacked, thank you VERY much.

Sounds like to me this was a game exploit of a bug that should have been corrected years ago.

With this, I fully concur. I never liked people who complained about stuff they added in and then took away. It's progress, yes, but the fact of the matter is, going back to the way things were would be JUST fine with me, especially if the "progress" is unintentional.

While some will argue that the Mage class was "built around" pet canni, it simply isn't true. The reason it took so long to fix was because it was not a problem till now. In truth, SoE would have probably never noticed it unless a certain someone hadn't posted the formulas for it over on the Mage Tower.

I believe this to be true as well. Mages were meant to not need mana regen (even though we get it now because of the constacasting of Sun Vortex), because our pets would do quite a bit of our dps. Enchanters needed it because they were not a class for nuking, really (a cleric gets nukes, does that mean they're for nuking?), they were meant to get single pulls and mez the adds. Necros were meant to DoT mobs, and reapply the dots, therefore, they got a mana regen spell, but one that took from their hitpoints, so as to justify it to mages. This damage is returned by lifetaps, of course. Wizards needed it BADLY, so their familiars were fitted with mana regen capabilities. They rely SOLELY on their nukes for damage, and nothing else. Clerics need it for healing, druids for snaring and backup healing, as well as nuking, and shamans needed the regen to buff and rebuff, debuff and redebuff.

Mages are the sole pure casters that can sit on their butts 9/10ths of a fight and they still earn their portion of the spoils, heck, they're the only class PERIOD! And maybe if you sent your pet out to attack, rather than eating it (which is an evil act, and if you played DND, which is what EQ is based on, all pet canni'ers would be chaotic evil), you'd find that your mana doesn't disappear quite so fast for your damage. Plus, of course, all that you can summon for your pet to proc and haste, as well as the summoning spells for increasing dmg, decreasing spell mana cost, increasing your pet's Burnout duration, as well as your DS's on other players... the list goes on of things we get that help conserve our mana, and that, my friends, IS our mana regen.

The last two quotes are complete edits, and sorry for the lengthly one. I just feel strongly about people wanting nerfs, and people complaining when the nerfs come to them. Or people that don't care when another class (I. E. bards) are nerfed, but when something they've had for two years and is now a crutch that they figure they can't live without because they never learned how to play as an original, or as another class, they b**** and whine. Maybe it's me. I have played almost every single class (my wizzy skills are bad), and most races (don't touch trolls, they're plagued), so I can understand how they feel when they've had something from the beginning and it's been taken away, and the other classes are rejoicing, but I think the SOE staff want us to know something with the way the storylines have been headed so far (we must all band together, etc).