PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the shamans gone?

Wolf
December 17th, 2003, 08:37 AM
It seems like every guild i join has only a few shammy's. So i started one yesterday. I also never see a shaman LFG or in barely any zones. What happened to them? Im assuming a nerf screwed them over. Also do they ever get paid for their buffs and when do they get their first buff.

(Newb questions)

Jishia
December 17th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Like any class that comes into an ability of their own that makes them wanted it is by the consensus of the public they their will be a following of Twinks all in effore to 'be the best ever'

which seems only to rub a lemon into an open wound with the Dev Team, infuriating the unbalance and usually causing a Monster Nerf. (I.E Warriors and Monks)

Kheera
December 17th, 2003, 10:06 AM
I'm still out there at least! My main is shammy; I do see shaman out there lfg -- though I seem to be the only regularly played shaman in my guild (admittedly a fairly small guild).

Shaman is one of those interesting classes that does a bit of darn near everything; it can take flexibility and finesse to adapt to what's needed in a particular situation. Shaman tend to be a bit more supporting role in a group (though again this can vary), buffing, slowing and other debuffing, healing, and dots and nukes when time and mana permit; a lot of people who like some of those abilities but prefer a more aggressive role choose beastlord instead. I was in a LDoN last night where a quite strong beastlord was puller and MT; he pulled with slow (their 65 slow is only 10% less than shaman (though much rarer and more expensive, shaman's best slow is level 51)) so I ended up siccing pet and nuking, hasting, casting Ferine Avatar, and taking over healing for the cleric when he fell asleep :P

Shaman get their first buff at 1. Yes, 1. Inner Fire, the only AC/hp buff a shaman gets -- and it stacks with everything you get -- though, being a level 1 spell, it doesn't do a heck of a lot ^_^ also, a baby strength buff, and a cold resist.

People may pay for shaman buffing, usually for Harnessing of Spirit (49 hp/str/dex buff) or Focus (60/62/65 upgrades to HoS). As with any other buffing a lot of people just ask for a buff, no offer to pay; possibly more commonly than many since most shaman buffs take no reagent, thus only taking mana and time to cast (though 5 or 6 "buff me plz" sure takes a LOT of mana and time, and switching spells for younger/older is a bother). I do see shaman sometimes /ooc'ing buffs in PoK but less common than KEI or Virtue or Temp; I haven't, myself, but do get a lot of requests for buffs (especially if by the nexus stone). And yes, everyone and his brother, sister, and pet gerbil wants driveby sow :roll:

Satarus
December 17th, 2003, 12:16 PM
I got my little shaman, but he's only level 25 and i kinda retired him since i started raiding.

Blitzwing
December 17th, 2003, 12:43 PM
I don't see too many Shammys in my guild either, but, including myself, we have quite a few upper-end Beasties...the majority of us are lv 55 and up.

But at the same time, our versatility can annoy me to no end; I sometimes become very confused as to what role I need to be playing in a group at any one moment, and it gets a bit embarrassing when I have to make VERY certain of my role ahead of time.... :?

I don't regret my choice though...in fact, this wasn't even my original main...that distinction goes to a lv 10 Half-Elf Ranger I don't play anymore...I decided to try an alternate to see what it was like, and started my current main, a Barbarian Beastlord(lv 56)...once I hit lv 9 and discovered the entertainment to be had in having my warder do my dirty work for me.... :lol:

Gnomish
December 17th, 2003, 08:48 PM
every zone i go into there is an LFG shaman... ::looks at sig:: oh yeah it is me... =D i see tons of shammays on EQ, i think there is one other shammay in my guild... he a kitty... i the only female one i know....
EDIT: yes we do get paid for buffing, first one is at level one, and it is quite useful... i got to 1.5Kpp last night and most of that plat was earned by buffing.... 500 was from being a Red Haired shirtless FemBarbarian :oops: heeh...

Nosferatu
December 18th, 2003, 12:28 AM
I don't see a lack of Shaman on Tunare, at all, espeically in my guild.

However, I've heard that a bunch are feeling upset about the fact that a 65 BST with a bunch of AAs can come close to replacing a Shaman.

That's so ridiculous. So what if a rare 65 bst, with a bunch of AAs, can take your place. Level 65 is not the be all, end all of EQ. I will probably never reach 65, and I'm not too upset by that...and I've been playing since just after Kunark's release.

Naelaen
December 18th, 2003, 05:50 AM
You know when you've got a shaman in your group when you don't have any more room in your effects window :D

Shamans really do make a difference, but they're normally marketed as a healer. If a group uses a shaman as a healer only they really are missing out, but it does happen often and I think it's why shamans aren't at the top of anyone's "to get" list unless they can't find a cleric.

Shamans work quite well in LDoN because they can buff all the group members and most of the buffs will remain for the duration of the adventure, which is very handy.

Sorini McMarrin
December 18th, 2003, 06:02 AM
65 Shaman here, I'm on every day and almost aways LFG. My guild has about {10} 60+ epic shaman and we aren't even a raiding guild. Maybe you're on the wrong server ) Oh, and no shamans have not been nerfed never say such a thing. We don't want the nerf stick ever to cross our path, and I think the melee classes would agree.

Braoin
December 18th, 2003, 06:06 AM
65 shaman here as well. I'm always on and lfg. We have a small guild on prexus, but there are 4 50+ shaman in it

Inara
December 18th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Sheesh if any of you Shammy's from other servers ever want to come be my pet on Eroillsi Marr feel free! We are so short on Shamans it isn't funny. I think my guild has a high population on our server with a total of 2 active Shamans!

Inara
Semper Questio
Emarr

Toktuk
December 18th, 2003, 07:18 AM
I don't see too many Shammys in my guild either, but, including myself, we have quite a few upper-end Beasties...the majority of us are lv 55 and up.

Sahmi, Reco, and me. That's 3 55+ Shaman right there! ;)

-Tok

Satarus
December 18th, 2003, 10:01 AM
I think my guild has about 6 or 7 shaman. We normaly get about 3 online for raids and that is enough for one to malisoni and the other to slow.

Blitzwing
December 18th, 2003, 01:08 PM
<<Sahmi, Reco, and me. That's 3 55+ Shaman right there! >>

I said 'dont see too many', not any at all, Tok! ;) *bonk*

Mordican
December 18th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Have you tried playerauctions? Seems alot of shamans are there.

My alt is a 65 shaman as well.. Goes great witha mage. The two compliment eachother very nicely

Gilant
December 18th, 2003, 08:55 PM
54 Shaman here, on E'ci. And we have a few in my guild ranging from 52 to 65 & I think all Epic'd as of last week.

How long I'm LFG is hit or miss. If I'm willing to jump into a pick up LDoN group usually not long. My role is almost always primary slower/cripple as well as some basic buffage & melee buffs.

<whispers>And no, no nerfs.

Certainly a few things that could be improved, but all minor. Man I _love_ being a Shaman! My job is just to make everyone elses job easier. :)

Gnomish
December 18th, 2003, 09:59 PM
I LOVE BEING A SHAMMY!!!! ( i worked on alchemy last night, and made SoWJuice) we have best class specific TS!

When i group, I will both Poison DoT and Disease DoT, then medd to full, and Nuke the Bejezus out of target.... again i must say I LOVE BEING A SHAMAN!

Dakya
December 18th, 2003, 10:08 PM
I'd be amazed if there truly is a shaman shortage... it's one fun class to play. (I miss my 56 shammy more than just a little bit!) In my experience, the classes that are flexible always have plenty of people playing them, shaman being no exception.

Mordican
December 18th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Aye Shamans are fun to play. With my recent mage hissy fit out of the way I am turning more to my Ikky shaman lately. Its a bit of a switch from the fast paced fight of a mage, but to date I've gotten 7 DoTs going at once.

Gnomish
December 18th, 2003, 11:05 PM
:oops: the only reason i started a shaman was coz a friend of mine had one that was 63 when i started EQ, i thought the shaman was so cool, i wanted one of my own... ^_^

Bugems
December 19th, 2003, 11:35 PM
Their's shamans in this game? wow I never knew that... all i know is a shaman who i have grouped with is as far and inbetween as monks... they are good class to have around but a pain to get down pat and be a realy good shaman

Naelaen
December 20th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Problem with shamans is they're not a key part of a group. Tank, healer and DPS are the cornerstones of a group (in a general sense). Shaman can help all of these parts and drastically improve a groups effectiveness (almost a catalyst if you will), but because they don't fit into one of the pidgeon holes, they're sometimes overlooked. Bards are similar.

Strangely enough I saw someone specifically ask for shaman in PoK for a raid they were going on, can't remember where it was, and I don't know why they needed a shaman.

Velenka
December 20th, 2003, 08:10 PM
I started a baby shaman, on Luclin :) Her name is Tavorine (losing originality here) and she's a barbarian. I wuv her!