PDA

View Full Version : Just how stupid is SOE about GoD?

YuriPup
December 17th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Ok... if I preorder it, they have a very established track record that for the first week they spam you with it they will disable all your previous expantions, delevel you to 50 and all that other fun stuff....

Then you actually get stuff for getting, what I assume, is the more expensive (for them) physical box (something in the box and something on the account) than for them to blast a gig of info over to me over my net work connection.

Saethori
December 17th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Just how stupid is SOE about GoD?

Don't make me answer that...please, don't make me answer that...

I don't suppose ANYTHING they do to EQ can be as bad as the LoE fiasco, though. They've already done something pretty bad there, so even if this goes bad it will probably be pretty mild in comparison.

Bad choice for the acronym too..

But, I'm certain it can't be ALL bad. I wouldn't mind if they instituted serious penalties to all players who didn't have the expansion, just as long as I can buy all the copies and keep them from everyone else. *whistle*

Woody
December 17th, 2003, 05:57 PM
I pre ordered LoY and LDoN as digital purchases and had none of the problems you're talking about.

And both of those expansion downloaded small chunks of info over the course of weeks. If you READ the news post it tells you how to.

I think your negativity is exagerated and pretty much unnecessary.

Raven00x
December 17th, 2003, 06:04 PM
did loy and ldon as preorders....i'm thinking i might get god as a retail so i can experience the joy of whatever wooble stick they give us for guying the box version.

Landsknecht
December 17th, 2003, 06:13 PM
I'm with Woody on this one. I've DL'd expansions whenever possible just so I didn't have to deal with the geek at the game store. :twisted: I've never had a problem, nor had anything unexpected happen because, unlike most of the folks that post on The Newb Zone over at EQ Live, I actually read the releases, chats, and websites.

The problem with the delevels and such with LDoN preorders only occured on the FIRST day it was offered and was fixed immediatly. I almost hope they DON'T offer an atta-boy for buying the retail box, then the bozo's won't be able to whine that they didn't download a flippin keychain.

Mutton
December 17th, 2003, 06:15 PM
I am that geek at the game store.

Landsknecht
December 17th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Well Mutton, as long as you don't go off on me with a 10 minute rant about how Game A fails to utilize technology Z for uber phat lewtz then it's all good. :)

Man I hate that, walk into a game store, ask where so-and-so game is and the next thing you know, your stuck in some psuedo-science geek rant that nobody who DOESN'T collect Pokemon cards could care about.

Kheera
December 17th, 2003, 06:25 PM
I preordered on one account and retail boxed for the other account (second account on gamecards). I didn't have trouble, but I did wait a week or so... someone in my guild did preorder LoY nearly the minute it became available online, and got to panic next time she logged in: level 50 and no aa instead of 61.

It was actually just one small glitch: some small error in the preorder system disabled all other expansions if you preordered LoY that first day. But, since little things like being able to level above 50 and the aa system were part of expansions, this delevelled people to 50 (and stranded some since many camp in places like, oh, PoK). Small problem ... BIG impact.

Sony did respond quickly; they disabled the preorder until they could get it fixed, and got GM's contacting the affected folks and restoring the lost expansions/aa/etc. The poor panicked person in my guild had her levels back that evening.

So, me? since it doesn't make a difference if I pre-order now or in a month -- still have to wait to Feb 10 to play it, and no goodies for ordering early -- I'll wait just a little to be sure no kinks in the process, then preorder on the main account and get the boxed on the second /shrug

Dark Tyger
December 17th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Ok... if I preorder it, they have a very established track record that for the first week they spam you with it they will disable all your previous expantions, delevel you to 50 and all that other fun stuff....

....an issue which was remedied. Doesn't forgive that it happened, but screw-ups are bound to happen when managing something so large scale. It's not about forgiving that it happened, but they did fix it rather promptly.

Then you actually get stuff for getting, what I assume, is the more expensive (for them) physical box (something in the box and something on the account) than for them to blast a gig of info over to me over my net work connection.

That's why you set the patcher to download the little bit at a time they send out, as they suggest. And, yes, packaging and distribution does cost them more than sending the download (neither of the DL expansions that they've done have been a gig in size to my knowledge, by the way).

....isn't SOE flaming one of the "easy ways"? :P

Kaylen
December 17th, 2003, 06:58 PM

Maybe I should put my glasses on, because I'm not getting it. Gates of Discord is stupid because another expansion had bugs when you pre-ordered it?

Or it's stupid because they give you the choice of downloading it for cheap, or buying it in the store for more?

Dark Tyger
December 17th, 2003, 06:58 PM
Well Mutton, as long as you don't go off on me with a 10 minute rant about how Game A fails to utilize technology Z for uber phat lewtz then it's all good. :)

Man I hate that, walk into a game store, ask where so-and-so game is and the next thing you know, your stuck in some psuedo-science geek rant that nobody who DOESN'T collect Pokemon cards could care about.

You're too nice to the "geek". If he doesn't take the hint that I'm not interested the first couple tries, I'd tell him to either shut up and help me find my game or help me find his manager. If he is the manager, then tell him he lost a customer forever. :P

YuriPup
December 17th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Umm... I know with ever expantion I have been around for that they have messed up the accounts when ordering a new expantion. I have seen in on FoH and TSW. (LDoN, PoP, LoY...)

That said, my points was more that there are currently more benefits from getting the dead tree version of the game than there are from doing the easier (and no more spam) pre-order and get over the internet.

I ordered LDoN as a DL (though I waited about 2 weeks so that I would not loose 65 and AAs and access).

I think at least some of the benefit should be offered to those who are willing to DL it. Frankly I was happy with my DL of LDoN just a little upset that for saving SOE money that I got less than those buying the retail box.

Oh, and that fix thing, I have seen fix at least twice, if not three times.

Poofe 'n Evandril
December 17th, 2003, 08:40 PM
The main thing offered for D/Ling it is the savings in time and price...If you've DLed it, you can play it the instant it goes live, as well as saving a bit o cash, so you have first shot at anything in the new zones ;)

Kheera
December 17th, 2003, 09:18 PM
LoY was cheaper pre-order. Not sure about LDoN. This one, however press release shows the same price, pre-order and retail box, $29.99.

Dark Tyger
December 17th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Yuri, you are getting a benefit by DLing rather than buying the box: You pay less for it.

Mutton
December 17th, 2003, 10:11 PM
You're too nice to the "geek". If he doesn't take the hint that I'm not interested the first couple tries, I'd tell him to either shut up and help me find my game or help me find his manager. If he is the manager, then tell him he lost a customer forever.

God how I wish people would be more like this at work. Just tell me that you don't want to start a conversation and I won't bother trying to start one. I sell replacement plans for christ sakes, I can deal with rejection.

Now if only these stupid law students can only take a hint and read the fine print on my ads. I don't care if you think a No rain check policy is against interstate commerce law. I'm out, we have no rain checks and if you don't like it then you can talk to my Lawyers, I'll be happy to help you get in touch with them. Stop threatening me.

MCW
December 17th, 2003, 10:45 PM
I am constantly changing things on my computer, I don't know how I could do anything If I had to download it all off ther iterent "i think that is what this is about."

I love having the cd to things, It may cost a bit more, but atleast its some material proof, not that it matters too much. But we would all rather have a diploma proving we can do it, than just saying I can.

So in my opinion in relating to the title of this thread, I don't think its stupid that they offer different ways to do things, its better for the customers. I never have problems with "geek" people I guess, I really dont use stereotypes either, just get my business done and out."

Renix
December 17th, 2003, 10:55 PM
I think its kinda cool that you get bonuses for buying the game at retail, those of us who pay more and wait longer end up getting the better value (My warrior is still packing that bag he got from LDoN)

I wonder what "magic item" is included with the new expansion....

Kaylen
December 17th, 2003, 11:11 PM
If you download it, your account is permanently flagged. You can format your hard drive and install the game and all expansions from the classic disc. I believe, anyway - they may not let you download content that wasn't downloadable, but I doubt it.

All I know is that LoY, LDoN, and GoD will have your account permanently flagged and you will download all needed files with the patch.

Dark Tyger
December 17th, 2003, 11:13 PM
There's a picture of it on one of the online software store sites. It's a nifty looking staff, but no idea what its stats are.

Nosferatu
December 18th, 2003, 01:34 AM
I'm thinking the prices listed on the site are off. Usually you pay $2-$5 less by DLing it than by buying the box version.

Regardless, though, I not only plan on Downloading it incrementally, but also purchasing the box version. I like the little RL and IG (In-game) gifts.

When you register a CD-Key (whether an online purchase or from the CD of a box set) to your account, your account is permantly flagged as having that expansion.

As of a few months ago, the wonderful (I mean that, too) people at SOE decided to open all expansions to a downloadable format. Basically, they removed the limit on downloads.

Now, all you need is the patcher file on your computer and you can install every expansion available just by running it. This is perfect for those with missing/broken install CDs.

KyrosKrane
December 18th, 2003, 01:58 AM
Yuri, you are getting a benefit by DLing rather than buying the box: You pay less for it.

Well, see, that's the problem, Tyger. As of this writing, pre-ordering for download costs the same as pre-ordering a retail box. In addition, if you buy the retail box, you get the in-game staff (whatever that turns out to be), some random collectible doodad in the box, and a CD for the game.

It doesn't make all that much sense to me to price them the same. LoY was designed to be download-only; they rushed some CD's into production at the last minute. Even so, the download was priced less than the CD, and you got the same content either way. LDoN was cheaper to buy digitally for download, but you got the in-game satchel if you bought the boxed version for a higher retail price -- at least, that was the theory. Many retail stores were selling the boxed version for less than the download price, which left people (including me) miffed. We got double-whammied by paying more and by missing out on the satchel.

The fear is that Sony will again repeat this stunt. I have no problem ordering the download; in fact, I prefer the convenience it offers. I just feel vaguely shorted when folks who paid the same as I did/will, or maybe even less, for the boxed version (which actually nets Sony LESS profit than the download) get some extras and I don't.

Cantatus
December 18th, 2003, 02:32 AM
Well, I haven't pre-ordered anything from SOE since Kunark when they lost my order, LoY being the exception. I've just bought all the expansions the day of release or soon after. I even got LDoN cheaper at BestBuy than downloading it only days after release.

Besides, if Sony is going to spam us with advertisements for the expansions, I'd rather buy the version which nets them less profit. *grins evilly*

Gnomish
December 18th, 2003, 02:49 AM
::giggle:: When i logged on tonight i did a /ooc GOD IS COMING SOON!!!!!!
there were alot of people that had no clue wtf i was talking about... it was VERY funny... i think they thought i was talking about jesus ^_^ heeh.. When i was specific, people got a big laugh about it... tomorrow i'm gonna do a /shout WATCH OUT! WE ARE GONNA GET MORE SOE SPAM AGAIN!!!

EDIT: ooh... just loked up GoD, and I saw that The bezerker races are Trolls Ogres Barbarians VahShir and Humans.... ::grins Evilly:: gonna Delete me BeastLord and have a SexxyMale Berzerker Barbarian =D

Nosferatu
December 18th, 2003, 02:58 AM
Kyros, why don't you do what I'm doing? Just download it for the convenience, and buy the box. You can download GoD w/o actually buying it.

They've already stated that the box version WILL come with a RL gift (like the keychain for LDoN) and an in-game gift (like the satchel).

Gnomish
December 18th, 2003, 03:06 AM
I didnt get the keychain in my Box when i got LDoN... i think the EBGames guys took it

rillaith
December 18th, 2003, 03:14 AM
As long as you wait a week or two for any "oopsie" glitches to be spotted and fixed, absolutely no reason not to pre-order - especially for those of us not living in the US who would have had to wait a week or 3 for the boxes to become available - those "good old days" i'm glad are past ;)

However, just to support the validity of what the first poster mentioned - both LoY and LDoN *did* have errors in the first few days that pre-order became available... the first time you zoned after pre-registering, you lost all xp over level 50 and all AAs ... basically there was a glitch in the system that unregistered all exanpsions from the account. People were fixed, in many cases same-day (although the first expansion that had troubles... did it happen for PoP too? I forget now ... one of my guildies had to wait about 3 days to be able to rejoin us on raids. Ouch.)

However, the problem was spotted and rectified quickly on both occasions, and all affected people were all fixed. The GMs were running round like loons, but then, that *always* happens whenever there is a new expansion! So many questions...

Long and short of it is, if you're a daily player, give it a week or two before pre-registering, doesn't make any difference in the long run. You can DL files without pre-registering (Patcher -> Advanced -> Select GoD) and they're not offering 1 years free EQ for the first 100 people who pre-order.

Dari

PS Actually I *think* it was only pre-registering via the game which was troubled; pre-reg via the website worked just fine.

KyrosKrane
December 18th, 2003, 03:17 AM
Kyros, why don't you do what I'm doing? Just download it for the convenience, and buy the box. You can download GoD w/o actually buying it.

That would indeed be the ideal solution, but it's somewhat more complicated since I live outside the USA. My access to American retail institutions (or Web places that ship computer programs overseas) is sporadic at best, and frightfully expensive (due to international shipping fees) at worst.

If I can find someone travelling to the US around the release date, I'll probably do the download / buy retail thing. Otherwise, I'll just suck it up and purchase via download.

Dr.Gonzo
December 18th, 2003, 05:07 AM
I was soooo excited to get my keychain, it was a surprise because I didnt know about it. A day later, both the little tags fell of and now they sit on my desk balefully looking at me as if to say, "why cant we come too?". Or maybe they're not actually doing anything more than just sitting there, never can tell with those darned inanimate objects.... watching Toy Story really open my eyes to this inanimate underworld that.... wait, are computer considered to be inanimate...

Hmmmm, I mean yeah, Im gonna download the increment patches and buy the disc.

Very positive on inanimate objects =) *looks around nervously*

Iiliani Seadream
December 18th, 2003, 05:16 AM
I downloaded LoY and had no problems.
I tried to do the same with LDoN, but although it appeared to flag my account for the expansion (said all expansions enabled), and although the money was deducted from my account, it didn't download anything, and I couldn't get into LDoN zones.
Clicking Advanced on the patcher did not help, there was no LDoN box there to put a tick in.
I could never find out exactly why that happened, although I know others who had the same problem, and rumours were it was something to do with having the New Dawn version of PoP, or something to do with Ubisoft.

I ended up having to buy it retail, and as I wasn't able to get my money back on the download, I paid for that expansion twice. The keychain's were not available in the UK either, although I am pleased with the WR satchel.

I don't want the same thing to happen with GoD, so I think I will wait for it on retail.

Aurizen_Darkstar
December 18th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Ok, I'm wondering if I'm seeing things...

but doesn't the mob that they now have on the patcher look a LOT like a DAoC troll that is totally black with tattoos? :P

FuzzyBear
December 18th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Has anyone had to reinstall since Ykesha? Or had to reinstall anything you didn't have a CD for? How does it work? Does everyone download the files, and it only opens up the options if your account is flagged as such? I haven't had to re-install since PoP, So I'm honestly not sure.

Aside from that, I'm extremely excited about the expansion.
Here's a link to a picture of the game box, with what must be the staff over at EB (http://www.electronicsboutique.com/ebx/product/240960.asp)

I really hope that's what the in-game item will look like. It's absolutely gorgeous. I'll have to buy a sheath for my Putrid Fish :P

Serresrelic
December 18th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Yes. When you reinstall the patcher looks at what expansions you are flagged for and looks for which files for those expansions you are missing and automatically downloads them.

It's so incredibly simple it's scary....