PDA

View Full Version : Does the game really have a time line?

MCW
December 18th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Do the major things ever change, like NPC kings and leaders, do big drastic events ever take place? Or will every place always stay the same, only changing in what the NPC's say and new locations?

It seems like these games have no "history making" involved, nations never win or lose vs each other and everything just stays the same.

It would be cool somtimes to see nations move up the technology tree and maybe invent new things or change political powers.

Any suggestions/comments are greatly appricated, Thanks

EDIT: "I don't know much about EQ, or its history-in-progress, if it does, thats great"

Mordican
December 18th, 2003, 03:13 PM
The Frogs kicked Trolls out of Grobb...

Raven00x
December 18th, 2003, 03:14 PM
periodically there have been some events that did change the game. the battle of Bloody Kithicor is one that comes to mind, which changed the Kithicor forest from a fairly benign lowish level zone to hellish undead-warrior-ridden death trap. at night, at least.

...are all those quotation marks really nessecary?

Kaylen
December 18th, 2003, 03:16 PM
There was also the plague of Karana. The whole Lanys storyline.

Dark Tyger
December 18th, 2003, 03:21 PM
The plague that lasted, what, 6 months? And even after it had been running that long, people zoned in and said "Hey, why's the sky green here?" oO

Billybobtheranger
December 18th, 2003, 03:32 PM
fironia vie story line for kunark release.

Woody
December 18th, 2003, 03:47 PM
The whole thing with Morden Rasp and the Wayfarer's seems to be pretty dynamic and changes with time.

Vicious
December 18th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Erudites exodus of Tunaria for Odus in Frontiers.
Deathfists invasion of Freeport. (Lots of LORE for that quest)

Billybobtheranger
December 18th, 2003, 04:24 PM
then theres the billions of texts in libraries and such that tell about stories

Tear
December 18th, 2003, 04:44 PM
I think thats one of the biggest things most mmorpgs are missing is the fact that players dont have a hand in the history or their world. I havent played Doac or galaxies but I was a EQ vet and thats something i always wished i could do.

Like the frog invasion of grobb most guilds where there to try and fight off the army of frogs that came. There were too many for most people but some people were succesful in holding the frogs back. For those servers the frog cities should have stayed in guk maybe a side passageway into upperguk. But i guess that means extra work for the developers etc.

Also Cabilis was always a city in ruins even though, with the release of Kunark and the masses of Iksar players (mainly rich monks,sk's etc) It would have been kewl to see the city slowly improve over time.

I remember way way back in the Day when there was a wood elf Druid called Eldrad. He used to set up open raids for people to join that were pretty popular. The Gm's even changed his name to Eldrad the General. His biggest raid was on against Neriak where they cut through the main gate then snuck through the various tunnels toward the Necromancers guild. Actually killing one or two of the lesser guild masters before pulling one of the top honcho's that quickly wiped them out :p .But Gm's took part in the that event (set up by players) and took to being merchents yelling insults at the invading army or running in terror. I remember there was a large troll shadow knight with us who kept getting called a traitor for being there. Was alot of fun.

If we could do things like that maybe causing some destruction in Neriak for example and having various houses or districts represent maybe battle damage or something with a few npc's retelling recent events. It would be neat imo.

But i guess youd get uber guilds that might ruin it for people by banding together to wipe out entire cities because of the fact "they can". Instead of actually roleplaying an evil guild invaded Felwithe or a light guild invading Ogguk. etc.

MCW
December 18th, 2003, 05:28 PM
good job Tear, I guess that was what I was getting at, us making history, not the lore in books.
one step at a time I guess... I wouldn't doubt it if Blizzard tried to incorporate this though, would be interesting. They could have rules against wiping out cities for dumb reasons.

It would be pretty cool if you could get voted into special offices for the cities, like Mayor or Sherif.

Kaylen
December 18th, 2003, 05:33 PM
You can be a Mayor or a part of the town Militia in player cities on SWG.

Jishia
December 18th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Solusek Ro's raping of Takish`hiz, burning it into the sand and forcing the Elves into an Exodus to Faydwer, where over the Millenia they split into Wood Elves and Highelves (and WEs were eventually corrupted by Innoruuk)

Sure none of this happened in a GM event but it is a story line i'm familiar with.

There is also the origin of the Vah Shir, Kerrans whom were sent from Odus by the Erudites, well more like blown up, evicted onto Luclin (hence the giant Crater) where the Kerrans over many Centuries harvested Acrylia from the Mountains to create their Kingdom under the leadership of Vah Kerrath, the ancient King of the Kerrans.

Then there is the Iksar, whom were Slaves to the Shissar and those that used Magic to breed Iksar and Dragons into the Sarnak (i'm sketching but there is alot of data about Rile and Venril Sathir i'm missing) untill the Iksar finally revolted and the Shissar were forced to Luclin as well, where they shielded their Pyramid ruins in a shield of an absolute Vacuum.

Enchanter
December 18th, 2003, 07:16 PM
lol

"Your eyes begin to itch"

Dragonel
December 18th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Yowza, Tear, that sounds like it would've been *fun*. In fact, it sounds like what I think of when I say 'raid' instead of the rather mundane experiences they usually tend to be...

But, I'm suddenly curious about Grobb... When I first learned of the change, I'd assumed there was a period of down-time, and then all the trolls who logged in found themselves bound in Neriak (and moved there if they were in Grobb or Inothule)... But there was an actual invasion, huh?

While that does sound fun and entertaining, er, what about the low-levels? Suppose you're a level 15 troll shaman who'se finally got some decent gear, and suddenly your town is swarmed with kermits, you die, re-spawn in Neriak, and have to do a corpse-run into what is now a hostile town? o.O

Tenolein
December 18th, 2003, 09:18 PM
Yea, the whole Grobb thing was completely new to me. I played 4 years ago, but had to stop playing for about 2 1/2 years total because of lack of funds.

But when I came back about a year ago, and finally got EverQuest: Evolution this past summer, I was shocked to see the troll city gone and a swamp of frogs in its place. I had to see it to believe it, so I made my Froglok Paladin, and sure enough, I noticed SOME landmarks in Grobb, but it mostly changed. Talk about something dynamic for someone like me who was out of the loop for half the time EverQuest has been out.

Radical Edward
December 18th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Wait, so Kithikor Woods didn't always have undead roaming around at night?

Mordican
December 18th, 2003, 10:49 PM
hehe The Froglok invasion was fun :) I got my ass handed to me by a bunch of froggy paladins.

Believe it or not the one zone that would be a nice change of the story line to me would by Crushbone. Many elves have grown up there and Killing Dvinn was almost a rite of passage. I remember my ranger getting a dragoon dirk and I was happy (Ahhh times past...) Some type of orcish invasion would haeve always ben fun IMO back in the day. And not just the GM's spawning a few higher level mobs... I mean something along the lines of a newbie 10th ring war or something :) God that would have been fun. Have a trigger mob in CB that requires a turn in of some sort... Have it banish all 18+ characters to GFay. Make it a 4-5 group raid event where they have to fight off waves of orcs... Pawns, centurions, slavers, etc... all the way to a final push that spawns a beffed up Dvinn with guards that drops a few raid level items for such low levels :) Something special that is not a bazaar type item.

*sigh* I miss the lower levels sometimes and all the possible lowbie raids and events that could have been done.

Tear
December 19th, 2003, 03:00 AM
Ahh..that reminds me of another battle that took place. Probably one of my last truly epic battles. The day after the implementation of the frogs in Grobb I brought it upoun myself to avenge my distant troll cousins. (My main at the later part of my gaming was an Iksar). So me and a few buddies made our way to Grobb.

Now in all honesty after the frogs invaded grobb, the frog guards were very weak, comparing to other guards in norrath. I mean highest dmg being maybe 100.. at the most. Majority of them dropped shields of the slain unicorn (I think thats what they where called)

Anyway back to the story..when my comrades and I reached Grobb we found that some other Trolls and Ogres known to be relatively uber where already making their mark on the guards just within the city. We quickly combined forces and cut our way into the inner workings of Grobb. Most of us had spent alot of time in the city and so we had no trouble finding our way around. The guards fell easily by the dozens until the first large battle took place.

Being a monk i had the honor of pulling the first Frog guildmasters within the city. I dont remember what their names where because things didnt turn out to well and we quickly found ourself beaten back to lick our wounds.

But we held hope and charged back into the city to what would be known as the longest battle i have ever participated in. By the way i am not exaggerating the time in this encounter at all. I do remember the frog we came to clash against next because i spent the next Two and a half hours fighting him. Quarter Master Rik. So the battle had begun in the heart of grobb near where the old Troll Warrior guild master sat. We quickly found our group of 7 not even denting into the frog.

We came to the conclusion that he wasnt one of the Npc's that was supposed to be killed but he didnt do that much damage 1-200 average against me and i was a monk. We had really uber warriors there from the top guilds with us so they were taking the hits without wincing too much. So we decided to stay a bit longer.

We sat at the Grobb zoneout trading blows...Just before we were about to call it quits and zone we noticed his life had fell..slightly. Only slightly thought but it had fallen, so we continued the battle.

Some in the fight grew weary and had to leave but being at the zone in to grobb every person coming to avenge the trolls quickly found an easy target awaiting them and joined into the fray. An hour passed and the frogs life had dropped only 40%..

Close calls came and went as healers had to leave for other duties. I remember at one point the only healers we had was a Necro and the Sk was tanking because he could sap back his life and it was slightly easier on the necro's body.

But during the end the fluxuating numbers of the group hit a high as every adventurer entering grobb smelled the blood in the air and like any animal quickly turned on the out numbered opponent. After 2 and a half hours, give or a take 5 minutes :P, quarter master Rik fell.

Near the end when he was at around 10% there had to be at least 20 people lending a hand. I was there since the very beginning and there were times that we pushed him into a corner just so we could keep auto attack on and go for a stretch/bathroom break/ or whatever. Only 3 of the original 7 including myself had stayed from start to finish. We even attracted the attention of a gm briefly ( we thought he was gonna tell us to stop or something but the gm didnt say a word. We then thought we might get titles..we didnt :( ). Now some of you may look at me and be like..why would you waste your time to kill some frog. That by the way didnt even drop a dime.

Well when the fight started we did have an idea of oOo wonder what this guy could drop. Then as the fight wore on and on..it became simply for the fact of accomplishing something that most people wouldnt be able to.

But the Key..the key thing most of us where hoping for..the reason we came in the first place was to search for a way to send the frogs running back into guk from where they came. Maybe killing a certain target would cause a tripper and return Grobb to the trolls. We knew it wasnt very likely..we knew it probably wouldnt happen but we still tried. Sadly it didnt..

The reason i posted this story here and not some where else is because it relates to the thread in that..When you play EQ you cant change events in norraths history. Sure you can attend gm events. Like when Al'kabar opened the portals to luclin, which im sure some of you must have attended since it happened on every server in prime time. ( I have a story about that two..were i fought al'kabor ill post it on the funny char thread)

But for example, if your iksar character goes out and rallies all of the other iksar players and goes on a bloody crusade to retake his homeland from the outlanders. He wont be able too..

EQ gives a player the satisfaction of accomplishment. Killing monsters and gods or even completeing grand quests. From defeating Quarter master rik most of us felt like we had accomplished something too, dont get me wrong it felt great and I love EQ for that reason.

But I think a great game would be one where If we had killed Quarter master Rik(now that i think about it his name might have been Grik not rik..its been a while) It would have triggered the return of the Grobb army in Innothule where we could have a chance to retake the city for them. Therefore giving a game a more dynamic way for Players to shape the world they live in and actually be players in the grand scheme of things.

I just realized how much i typed..sorry for that ill delete it if its too much :oops:

Gnomish
December 19th, 2003, 03:02 AM
what about the Corruption of Equestrielle?

Tiladien
December 19th, 2003, 03:06 AM
There's something happening in Shadowhaven tonight. The shorty guards and human guards are attacking each other by the Nexus port. One side will win and then 10 or 20 more show up and continue. I watched for a bit with my lowbie shammy until I accidentally slowed one and then got ganked later because of the hate spreading.

Iiliani Seadream
December 19th, 2003, 05:07 AM
We quickly found our group of 7 not even denting into the frog.

You want another challenge, try the scowling piece of office furniture in Sanctus Seru known as 'A File Cabinet'.
Cons green to lvl 35, and it doesn't hit back, it just sits there and takes whatever you throw it....
Whatever you hit with lands, but that cabinet doesn't even get a scratch on it's varnish :/
Try it and see.

It's part a quest for an earring I think, which in itself is an ongoing quest like the shawl quest, only the reward is not as big

Naelaen
December 19th, 2003, 06:01 AM
If I remember correctly, eqatlas says that Kithicor was once a nice place to visit with "lots of areas of interest." Still is during the day (well, it's nice if you define nice as being able to track giant spiders and goblins and ordinary mobs). At night it is pure evil. After the inclusion of the Plane of Hate (or something), level 40+ undead, dread wolves and zombies roam the zone, and you're forced to stick to the walls of the zone and pray something isn't there.

The Corruption of Equstrielle (damn that sodding horse, damn it to hell!) was a GM event which actually had a good version of Equestrielle (white horse, noble steed etc) who eventually gets poisoned (or tainted or something).

It's one of the cool things about Everquest that you can read lore and think "ahhh so that's why that's there." Now I just need to find a GM event :(

Dr.Gonzo
December 19th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Wasnt there a meteor that hit the Burning Woods? I remember reading that in wtfcomics. I never spent much time in there sense the exp is better in DL. IMHO

Genuvien
December 19th, 2003, 01:05 PM
I can remember a number of 'historical' events in EQ, some of which had lasting effects, and others that introduced expansions.

The conversion of Splitpaw to Infected Paw was one minor change, as was the takeover of Runnyeye. In both cases, a hostile group of NPCs took over a zone that had previously been rather low level. This was mirrored in the revamps of Nurga/Droga.

Historically, players have been involved in the re-activation of the wizard spires to allow access to Luclin, the halloween events that led to the "undead Kithicor." The plague storyline affected some zones for a period of time then stopped, although the corrupt Equestrielle still roams LFay from time to time.

Aruut
December 19th, 2003, 01:11 PM
DAOC has a few dynamic measures writen in if I am not mistaken. If you invade another lands space, and succeed I believe that you can actually gain benefits for your realm.

Horizons actually allows you to build castles and create towns within your realm, and defend the castle.

The best though looks to be Lineage 2 where you will not only be able to have castles and guild halls you will have to defend them from invasion and PCs will actually be allowed to join the aristocracy, you will set taxes and affect NPC outlook in your area, you can bestow authority on others and you will have to defend your castle against sieges. If you lose then you become homeless until you move into someone elses castle.

Chahk_PS
December 22nd, 2003, 09:05 AM
lol

"Your eyes begin to itch"
Ever wonder how they pulled that crap off? The Karana plague happened while I was a guide and had access to a nifty /target <mobname> command. Believe it or not, there were a couple of invisible mobs named "You" and "Your" roaming the zone spamming /emotes like "feel weak" and "eyes begin to itch" ;)

Filan Fyretracker
December 22nd, 2003, 09:22 AM
main issue with physicaly changing things like cities is making people have to redownload an entire zone. they like to avoid this because their dialup users would hate them for it if they had to redownload zones too much.

Penguin (:>(O ):
December 22nd, 2003, 09:52 AM
If you want lore and such look for the Eq Compendiums. I lost the link awhile ago so maybe someone here will have it.

Yeah, Gm events are great, I think I'll leave it at that.

lionfire
December 22nd, 2003, 07:30 PM
FFXI has something very close to what you're talking about. You can fight for your home city/country like Bastok. The more creatures you kill in various zones determins which country has control over a certain zone. You have a guard cast a signet on you and you can participate in this "conquest campaign". Not really certain what the benefits are of controlling a zone other than being able to have a home point in a remote part of a zone far away from your home city and the ability to buy and sell with the merchant(s) at outposts in those remote areas. But it's sort of like being able to change the course of things. Another cool thing about that is when you have your signet on and are participating in the campaign you gain campaign points for killing creatures and can redeem those campagin points for cool items.

Wolf
December 22nd, 2003, 08:37 PM
You sound like the kind of guy that would like the game Shadowbane. Though not many people play you can create a city with a guy adn have political things and go to war with other cities. And it has graphics like eq too. its startup was rough adn there were many problems so people stopped playing.