PDA

View Full Version : New spell effects...

Goldom
December 19th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Why do they insist on changing things from good to bad? Seriously. I no longer have fire spells. Now I have red spraypaint. *grumbles*
http://www.froglok.com/images/notfire.jpg

-_-

Tenolein
December 19th, 2003, 11:23 AM
I personally like the new spell effects. No wait, I LOVE them.

I have heard that most necro's hate them, but I know of only one, and he's only associated with me because he's married to my in-game sister. Oh well, you can't please 'em all, I'm just glad I like the effects. =)

Dakya
December 19th, 2003, 11:37 AM
I wish I could even see the new effects. I tried to log in for the first time in a month to take a look at them, and the game dies just as it ought to be loading the character screen. Anyone else had problems since the spell graphics patch?

Kat
December 19th, 2003, 11:38 AM
I like the new spell effects too. Especially the Necro ones. I'm rather tired of the Green Ball Funnels.

Goldom
December 19th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Come on, you can't possibly look at that picture and say that looks like fire. It's a red line! And: Root = no effect. Lull = no effect. The old fire spell looked like fire, it actually.. had... flames... now it's a red.. line...

Kat
December 19th, 2003, 12:34 PM
On the test server the root spell animation actually looks like vines coming out of the ground and tangling the creatures legs.

If you don't see anything maybe you dont have all the effects turned up or the range shorter than how far away you are standing? Or maybe they have not added that to the Live side yet?

Raven00x
December 19th, 2003, 12:36 PM
root looks like blackish brown tendrils coming out of the ground around your target...lull is a blue haze with a helix swirling up around your target. i'll agree though that i thought the old fire spells looked more like fire though.

apparently, some of the graphics didn't make it over to live or something, so there was another patch this morning. lull and stuff should work; if not, do the testeverquest.exe patcher, and that'll download all the right spell effects.

copasnece
December 19th, 2003, 12:44 PM
yeah root snare lull and mez weren't working for me when i went on last night to see them.

But, other then that, i think most of the effects are pretty sweet. Though 50% of them just look like a slightly different version of the Virtue/Temperance spell effects, most look pretty cool. Besides i like the virtue spell effects anyway :p

I think the port spells and heal spells are my favorites though.

Radical Edward
December 19th, 2003, 01:05 PM
The new lightning spells look nice. Its about time they had bolts insted of red sparks.

DarKatan
December 19th, 2003, 01:20 PM
BEHOLD SEA ANEMONE MAN!! I shouted that everytime I cast Thorncoat last night, get a Ranger to do it you will laugh yer socks off.

Kweil
December 19th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Bard Lull was working just fine for me yesterday.
I like the new spell effects

Invictas
December 19th, 2003, 01:33 PM
I like the new spells. They seem to be really memory friendly in that at full it doesn't slow my comp down at all. I really like the new canna effect.

EvilIguana966
December 19th, 2003, 01:33 PM
That looks nothing like fire, and everything like some sort of evil, like how they did Harm (the most evil spell evar!) in NWN. Heal (100% hp ) is a big blue immersing shine from heaven, whereas harm (- all but 1d4 hps) is a big red shine from heaven.

Mordican
December 19th, 2003, 02:15 PM
The new fire affects really looks like the old poison/desiease affects with the white/orange cracked out. They have once again broken bolt spells, several Shock lines of spells were not upgraded, the new conjurtaion type affects now appear in front of the caster which looks kinda dumb, etc... Many of the new affects were jsut fleshed out old affects. I remember seeing one of the older SoW affects that actually had a wolf's head form over the target... THAT would have been cool.

Bisuketto
December 19th, 2003, 02:27 PM
The paladin spells all looks like safts of light and blue haze. THE main warrior in my guild made the comment it was bringing back memories of the 70's for him.

demongoat
December 19th, 2003, 02:59 PM
i like the new effects, aug death looks cool,
most of the spell effects look cool, well i amend that, everything but splurt.. looks really the same, bah.. i like pally effects.. now people will know when i stun and lull!

Coffee
December 19th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Still no taunt graphic?

Lirren
December 19th, 2003, 03:07 PM
I LOVE my new spell effects. The effects on my cleric's DD spell are really cool. My druid's fire DD still looks like flames and cold DD's still look like snowflakes.

Minwee
December 19th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Still no taunt graphic?

Were you hoping for /rude?

Goldom
December 19th, 2003, 03:17 PM
hmm... yeah, my friend said her fire spell looked liek fire too... i think they prolly messed up and gave wiz fire's the harm image by mistake. or just to be mean. I fedback it, but if there's any other wizzies it'd be great if you would too, im always so alone in my little wiz world...

Kheera
December 19th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Only one I miss, the old Grim Aura effect... I thought that was so pretty. /sigh

The new floating bones look makes me think of the floating garlic breath skulls in the comic Rose is Rose :p I actually like it in cannibalization spells, but as Grim Aura, well, I liked the old one.

Taylen
December 19th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Funny my fire spells all look like fire. They have two graphic types, one type is a column of fire coming from the target, the other looks like they are engulfed in fire.

Iiliani Seadream
December 19th, 2003, 03:36 PM
The druid Skin like Nature spell is very pretty, gold and green leaves swirling about you.

Dark Tyger
December 19th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Almost all of the new spell effects are absolutely fantastic. Best of all, they seem to be less laggy overall. Especially the BST Spirit of Snow/Storm warder procs.

Tenolein
December 19th, 2003, 07:12 PM
BEHOLD SEA ANEMONE MAN!! I shouted that everytime I cast Thorncoat last night, get a Ranger to do it you will laugh yer socks off.

LoL. Yea, when I casted my Barbcoat, thats what I thought too. It's SOO true. =)

Vexana Darkweaver
December 19th, 2003, 08:36 PM
I rather like seeing the Ranger Harmony spell.. oooh Flutterby!

Renix
December 19th, 2003, 10:15 PM
God, I HATE the bard songs now. They're so damn annoying.

A bard in my group was playing ONE song, and there was orange crap ALL over my screen. It was damn near impossible to see what was going on, and the song made the old canni noise EVERY tick.

Bards PISS ME OFF more than anything now.

All the other effects are nice though...

Dark Tyger
December 19th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Ya mean like Anthem de Armes used to make huge yellow sparklies all over the screen blotting everything out? :P

Kaylen
December 19th, 2003, 10:52 PM
I like everyone else's new effects. I hate mine.

Harm touch. What? No really, what?
Grim Aura. Same thing. I loved the old effect.
Spear of Disease looks less like the fast hitting quick cast of diseaseness it should be, and more like weird red bugs or something.
Voice of Darkness no longer has a cool fear effect, but something.. weird.

I like the new Scream of Death (lifetap proc) animation, though. I'm really just disgruntled because I grew attached to my spell effects. But everything else does look nice; though the new invis effect could look less like a giant beacon of light saying "HERE I AM". The artists did a good job.. I just like some of the older stuff better. And the reason it lags me is because there's more stuff covering more of my screen for longer periods of time (they really upped the duration the effects hang on by a lot for some spells).

Goldom
December 19th, 2003, 11:23 PM
i really liked the old drones image, with all the little bugs, that was so cool, i hope they didn't take that out. Everyone send feedback on which you like and which you don't, i hate how the devs always say "we made it better and YOU WILL LIKE IT", it's like yeesh, don't tell me i have to like everything.

Bugems
December 19th, 2003, 11:33 PM
I like the new spell effects all though I do have to admit root and snare to get boring But the resist magic spell is awsome as well as the resist fire... The rest are so so but I've only see druid spells up to 53.... nothing realy big there gate looked cool the first 4 times i casted it then it just got dull again...

Nulien
December 19th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Goldom, those bug damage over time spells you speak of have not changed. I'm glad for that, I like them too.

Caliber
December 20th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Not actually having a current EQ account, anyone know if one of the EQ sites has some pics of the effects up? I'm curious to see what they all look like (descriptions only take me so far :P )

Realmreaver
December 20th, 2003, 01:37 PM
I cocur. any pics of the effects?

xanzabak
December 20th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Here's some of the spell effects.: http://eq.crgaming.com/screenshots2/default.asp?category=21

Euphem
December 20th, 2003, 04:16 PM
not bad, but I still prefer the FFXI spell effects myself

This is an animated gif file of the Red Mage spell: Enthunder (www.fudce.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/euphemani.gif) - Bit of a warning, it's a big picture

Preston_Kitty
December 20th, 2003, 04:28 PM
as a wizard I <3 the new cold and lightning effects.

but why, oh why, when I cast a fire spell do I get a beam of red light? I've seen some necro nukes that look more like fire then my fire spells.

overall, I love the new effects though.

Naelaen
December 20th, 2003, 04:37 PM
I kinda like the new fire nuke spells, I mean, before: couple of orange balls floating away from target. Now it sorta looks like an orbital strike or something, from the heavens themselves.

The new lightning effects are awesome, the new "Skin like" series is cool, with all the leaves. Root and Snare aren't that bad, problems when versus a large mob since the roots are huge. Conjuration (both standard and pet) spells are mightily spinkee. And I laughed out loud when I saw the sea anemone comment by DarKatan, my personal comment was a walking bramble bush. Cure disease/poison are kinda coolish too, with the cure going in, and the poison floating up and out. General heals are pretty cool.

Agreed that the necro spells look a bit pants now, agreed that bard songs tend to get in the way a bit (did before but...) but it's sorta like revving yourself up by twisting 2 of them together. Not quite sure what's going on with the dexterity/agility lines, Lucozade man anyone?

General opinion, big thumbs up. If this is a taster of EQ2 spell graphics I'm very excited :)

Caliber
December 21st, 2003, 09:39 AM
Ooooooh. Pretty! :D

Thanks!

Zarithar
December 21st, 2003, 02:32 PM
Haven't played much since the patch, but I like what I have seen so far... particularly the Root effect.

Billybobtheranger
December 21st, 2003, 09:27 PM
Fury of air line of spells Rocks...Lightning effects own. Alot of the druid spells really are great...Just wish i could keep all of them on and not slow to a crawl...

Lancetheavatar
December 22nd, 2003, 12:20 AM
One thing I do not like is how my fire rain spell Sirocoo now shows up. :p It looks like I throw a piece of moldy bread at the mob, which then hits them in the face and flakes off...little green and purple spots everywhere. <sigh>

And bolts are gone too. :(

The Unforgiving
December 22nd, 2003, 03:42 PM
Beautiful new effects... At times blinding, but beautiful non the less!