PDA

View Full Version : Help i'm lost Dangit were's my Map

Bugems
December 20th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Yes the LoY new map system is allright but I just have a rant for it... I was nick named the mpa cause I could rememebr a zone just by walknig through it once... But now all of it is useless not even in the zones i don't have a map for... WHY? cause I've never bin in thoose zones... I use to get paid to lead people about not much but atleast it's somin... and most of all i've lost my bragging rights... what do you guys think about this? was it a good idea to put in the maps or did it ruin the whole game for you? I remembr my first day it was so much fun watching my dad run his dark elf shaow knight thorugh Nek forest... so much mystery it was so much fun... then we saw a map of the zone and all was lost for that feeling... pretty soon It no longer exsisted... part of the fun of EQ was getting lost in a zone somewere wel this ends my post so yeah Give me your info please... :)

Nulien
December 20th, 2003, 12:37 AM
Ever since I started playing the game I've used maps, starting with maps from www.eqatlas.com , so nothing's changed for me... if I didn't have the ingame maps, I'd just be using printed ones anyway.

Kweil
December 20th, 2003, 12:37 AM
[unnecessarily negative remark removed] -Vhah

I like the maps. I enjoyed exploring during my newbie days but now its not that much fun. LDoN is pretty much map dependent if you want to do certain types of missions.

Kaylen
December 20th, 2003, 12:54 AM
[unnecessarily negative remarks removed] -Vhah

I, too, have always used the EQ Atlas maps, but there was still a lot of mystery. The map wasn't actually there with a pointer showing me where I am and where I was going. However, my skills are still required for the random corpse run for a stranger, and just getting around zones that are confusing anyway. Also, EQ Atlas has some nice downloadable maps for Ykesha, which pretty much maps all zones before the expansion for you in-game.

It does take away some of the mystery and awe, but doesn't break the game for me as much as, say, port stones.

Mutton
December 20th, 2003, 01:14 AM
[unnecessarily negative remark removed] -Vhah

Anywho, I used to love getting lost and yes, maps have ruined that for me. On the same token, I have a much more limited play time now then when I first started playing EQ so learning new zones by heart isn't feasible. Change is always about good and bad; you just learn to accept and adapt.

Gnomish
December 20th, 2003, 01:54 AM
ahh... bugems i don't have maps, you can guide me thru zones ^_^

Tear
December 20th, 2003, 03:59 AM
I remember the first time i entered the game in Kelethin and took the first few steps off of the lift. It was awesome :lol: For the most part being i started my first char as a ranger I really didnt need maps..usually players are good enough to make land marks or give loc's or even tell you where you need to go if you need help.

From time to time if i needed to research a quest i would look up maps or for future hunts in an unknown area that i didnt want to explore i would grab a map.

When i first started and everything was new i definitly wouldnt have gone for a map. Unless it was in a city and i was lost (i hated that..the vah shir city is the worst for that) Then the map is great. Other then that though people can bring the map up or leave it down at their wim. Deciding on their own if they want to experiance a new land for themselves or have a automated guide.

As for being a former ranger and guide/tracker for people...I guess it would kinda suck nowadays but if you look at it every class that used to have a hand in helping players along have been hindered. Druids,wizards for ports, mages for their summoned stuff, Enchanters for KEI (last time i checked it was nerfed..slightly)

The devs seem to making the game more newbie friendly for the ease of new generations rather then making them tuff it out like us old timers had to. Wood elf ranger, hybrid exp cut and racial exp cut plus all the hell levels that were in the game! Without Kunark! Now thats ruffin it you young wipper snappers!

:roll:

ancarett
December 20th, 2003, 06:21 AM
EQatlas was my friend for many, many years. I remember one time hand-copying a map from that site to pass to my husband who was playing at the time (my computer didn't have access to the printer). Some zones I just had memorized from weeks of hunting but it was always nice to have the eqatlas map to show me the way. I would NEVER have understood Lower Guk without those maps!

Saethori
December 20th, 2003, 06:36 AM
EQAtlas was truly a benefit to me back during my EQ days.

However, the in-game maps don't...can't hold a candle to them. I don't know if it's just because I don't own LoY and am doing my comparison based on the maps free to everyone, but... they're nearly impossible to understand.

Cerrena
December 20th, 2003, 06:38 AM
I have sometimes wondered if it wouldn't have been better for SOE to have made the maps in-game tradeable instead of out of game tradeable. The could have designed a cartography skill which let people make master maps of a zone. Once you had a master map, you could make a copy for a price and then sell the copy in the bazaar.

But in general, I'm much happier with maps then without them. I get turned around far to easily to cope well without maps.

Bugems
December 20th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Well I'm sorry bout my earlier explosion and all Sorry to anyone I had hurt in any way...

Naelaen
December 20th, 2003, 05:42 PM
My only beef about the LoY maps is some newbie zones (namely Butcherblock and Shadeweaver's thicket) aren't included whereas the higher level maps of Dagnor's Couldron and Paludal Caverns are (mentioned because they are adjacent zones and hence, it would be helpful to be able to find those zonelines on the map). If the standard maps were to help newbies find their way around a zone, then it makes sense for at least the newbie areas to be mapped.

Nulien
December 21st, 2003, 12:05 AM
The only thing I don't like about the in-game maps is that zones with floors above and below one another can be very difficult to figure out using those maps. The height filter helps a little bit, but not much, so for those zones I print maps out.

rimedragona
December 21st, 2003, 08:14 PM
I only use the maps to get myself pointed in the general direction in new zones. Otherwise, I just find my own way. It's always fun when you can recognize a certain tree and say, "Oh, If I turn right here, I can get to such-and-such."

I did (and still do) use EQatlas for a lot of my maps. I think the in game maps could have been a lot better.

I like that cartography skill idea, but that would mean that I would never own a map. ... spells, armor, weapons, and food come first. *sigh*

Houma
December 21st, 2003, 08:21 PM
I used to be able to figure out by description of where someones corpse was in EC, NRo and Oasis.

I spent between 5 and 18 in those zones back when it was hard to level.

Billybobtheranger
December 21st, 2003, 10:21 PM
Maps are great. only thing I dislike about them are that Ldon didn't come with a map to every single zone.

Bugems
December 21st, 2003, 10:39 PM
I Like the idea Of not being able to map in certain zones... but i allso dislike the idea.. Like plain of Hate, fear, Etc... I would love to be able to map it myself... maybe a way for only you to own the map of it would be nice... I liked the maping thing so i could map the zones myself but then a friend of mine sent me this "patch" and now i have allmost every zone mapped... guess one of the reasons why the LoY mapping fuction isn't anyfun cause it's like somone else telling me what to do