PDA

View Full Version : FFX2

KiTA
December 1st, 2003, 05:53 PM

Holy crud.

So far, I've seen parodies of Fashion Magazines, Pop Stars, Charlies Angels (and other 70s shows like that), and the Power Rangers (and other shows by Saban).

I've played for 10 minutes.

My head hurts. :)

(Is this too OT for the main forum?)

Bombless
December 1st, 2003, 05:57 PM
you forgot to add J-Pop in your list.

KiTA
December 1st, 2003, 06:10 PM
Oh yeah. ;)

So far it's been good. Battle system is every bit as good as FFX's, only it's closer to the old school (FF5, 6) systems.

The job system is... very amazing. Instedad of classes, or the FFX big board game system, they have.. pocket board games, for lack of a better term. Those are the Garment Spheres. The actual classes that are on the garmentspheres, are called Dresspheres.

At least, I think that's how it works. I'm still a bit unclear on it. :)

Sarius
December 1st, 2003, 06:12 PM
It seems kinda silly, but I'll still get it. Well only going to have to wait for another few months for it to be released here.... :roll:

KiTA
December 1st, 2003, 06:23 PM
yeah, but you got FFX Int., so you're not allowed to complain. ;)

[Edit: LOL, FFX International and FFXI are two different things... ;) )

inuyasha
December 1st, 2003, 06:37 PM
waste of money lol like i'm gonna pay 40$ to play dress up lol

Kaylen
December 1st, 2003, 07:44 PM
This is all my opinion.. but I wish Square had just stopped with IX, and then started again with XII. When asked why they did none in-between, they should reply, "Well, Enix smacked us around, and boy did we smarten up." Not that I even know if FFXII will be any good.. it just has a nice premise.

In fact, isn't it kind of an oxy moron to have more than one Final Fantasy?

Velenka
December 1st, 2003, 08:21 PM
FFX-2....I watched the intro. I couldn't make myself go beyond that. I just sat there alternately cringing and laughing, and hoping to god it would end soon... turned it off before the intro movie ended, and haven't touched it since.

Sigh. I'm going to go play Vagrant Story to make myself feel better.

Saethori
December 1st, 2003, 08:34 PM
Really makes you think..

Maybe there's a reason there were no FF sequals up until now?

reploidx
December 1st, 2003, 09:05 PM
this all i have to say :i suare-enix wants me to pay $50 to play pretty princess dress me up, the are sadly mistaken, it looks like an charlies angels rpg, and each time i say its a girls game, all the girls who play it say its not, and mind you its only the girls yelling at me, not guys, i wanna save the world, not some guy from the prequel(sp?), from what i read, you dress up to win the battle, i wanna kill things, not put on a dress and kill things :sighs and sits down playing the original final fantasy:

Chavarko
December 1st, 2003, 10:49 PM
I'm loving the game. Yea the Charlies Angel's refernces are corny, and Brother is supposd to be the leader of the Gullwings, but due to you being "in control" of the storyline he looks like an idiot telling Yuna to decide, but you know what? I don't care. I hated the end to FFX because it left me with a feeling of incompletion.

UPCOMING SPOILER TO FFX!!

[spoiler:7059bb8eb4]I don't mind when movies, or games don't have a happy endding or end with the hero dieing, but FFX didn't even have that. Instead they leave it hanging. That he could be alive, regaurdless of the fayth nolonger dreaming him into existance.[/spoiler:7059bb8eb4]

I've almost beat FFX-2 and honestly I'm kinda of putting it off, and spending allot of time to level because I don't want it to be over yet.

KiTA
December 1st, 2003, 11:24 PM
FFX-2....I watched the intro. I couldn't make myself go beyond that. I just sat there alternately cringing and laughing, and hoping to god it would end soon... turned it off before the intro movie ended, and haven't touched it since.

Sigh. I'm going to go play Vagrant Story to make myself feel better.

*Mutter* Yes, the same intro that was on the preview teaser on Unlimited Saga. It's not that good, but, with some interesting tidbits you learn right after it (like 10 seconds after it), it redeems itself. Still, the opening to the game really, really feels kinda rushed. I guess it assumes you've seen the FFX International ending, "FFX: Another Story".

[spoiler:dbbb9901e6]Ok, lemme let you know something here -- the intro, it's not real. The movie with Yuna dancing and singing... That's not Yuna.[/spoiler:dbbb9901e6]

And that's all I'm gonna say about it. Aside from the campy jokes and the fanservice (Rikku is almost as undressed as a AO Shade, for christs sake), the battle engine is just as neat as FFX's, and having just finally beaten FFX about 3 hours ago, I *really* wanna know what happens.

Of course, I would have rather had a sequel to FF7. FFX's ending was really, REALLY sad. Heartwrenching, even, if you cared for the characters. (I hated them at the start but they grow on ya) But at least it ended. IT had complete resolution. There were no loose ends, no forgotten plot twists, no villans left over. The end came up, and if I hadn't known about FFX2, I would have said to myself, "Wow. It's over. Huh." Cause it was. Completely and utterly.

And then they made "another ending" for The International version. Which works, but, how in the world does it work? @.@ And that's why I'm playing FFX-2. :) That, and there's a rumour that there's a tie in between FF7 and FF10 through FFX-2. @.@ One of the developers said there was in an interview last week, anyway... O.o;

Chavarko >> If you surround your spoiler there with spoiler in brackets [ spoiler ]like this[ /spoiler ] it will make it impossibe to read without hilighting it. I know if I read that on accident, even in passing, it would have ruined FF10 for me.

Zeal
December 2nd, 2003, 02:06 AM
I'm having fun with it, the New game+ feature is what drew me in(Chrono Trigger, how i've missed you)

The story is ok, but the real fun of it is the battle system...

...hehe Pretty princess dress up...thats funny...

another way to explain it is FF tactics and CT put together and allowing job changes within battle...After you contemplate that, smash yourself in the face with a billy club, that's how much it hurts playing at top speed(there are different speeds). Seriously though, its a nice battle system

It's an easy going game(story wise and referring to emphasis on building up levels) and has alot of depth to it. You get to explore the FFX world more, and that itself is pretty fun...

John Dyne
December 2nd, 2003, 02:08 AM
Yeah. I remember seeing the drawings for FFX-2, and when I looked at Rikku, the first thing that popped into my head was the song 'Genie in a Bottle', for good reason, it appears.

Cobble
December 2nd, 2003, 07:22 AM
Its an OK game, although I have a hard time logging out of FFXI to play it. I am currently in chapter 2.

I do want to say that the dress up system is NOT as original as its made out to be. It is the same exact thing as swapping out characters that do different jobs with a slight crossover. (certain grids let you use abilitys learned from a different class)

The story is not bad, the presentation is awful.

As a RPG fan, the game is good. As a FF fan, ugh.

could someone put the different ending for the INT version in spoilers? I have never played it and I would like to know how different it was from FFX

KiTA
December 2nd, 2003, 10:20 AM
It's not different, it's extended. It's meant to be watched AFTER the first ending.

It's located here: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff10/ff10mov.html

I bleieve it's subtitled in English. Look for "FFX: Another Story".

Gikk
December 3rd, 2003, 09:40 AM
I'm really hoping I get it for Christmas. :( I asked for it, but mom was all like "How would you feel if you didn't get the things on your list?" And... that was the main thing on my list.

Ohwell, I guess I'll start saving up for it now. ^_^ If I get it, then I'll have 50 extra bucks! That never hurts.

EDIT: Ohhhhh.. It has new game +?

Please say yes. ^_^

Zeal
December 3rd, 2003, 10:20 AM
Yeah It does...but it doesnt retain your "level" just your items, gil and mastery of jobs...and al bhed primers...

QaeadarDAzeal
December 4th, 2003, 03:26 PM
I must be one of the few people to truly and honestly love the new FF. There's slightly more to it than dress up, and the new battle system is a lot of fun. There's just something about watching Paine go up and hack and slash while I have Yuna sitting in the back shooting the hell out of it with her pistols. >shrugs<

And as for it being an oxy moron to have it called Final Fantasy while there's been 12 of them, yes, but the name itself came from what the game itself meant to the future of the company who made it. Squaresoft, up until FF, had been very unsuccessful, so they created a game that they just threw the last of their resources in to, and if it failed, they were going to close shop. However, it became the most successful game they ever created(now, most successful series), so they did what came naturally...made a sequel. And they haven't stopped since(much to my appreciation).

And yes, a sequel to FFVII is coming....but it's not a game. >wink<

Dark Tyger
December 4th, 2003, 04:28 PM

[spoiler:db3134a2d2]I don't mind when movies, or games don't have a happy endding or end with the hero dieing, but FFX didn't even have that. Instead they leave it hanging. That he could be alive, regaurdless of the fayth nolonger dreaming him into existance.[/spoiler:db3134a2d2]

You know, that's pretty par for Final Fantasy endings, though. Most of them leave a big question mark at the end to let the players draw their own conclusions. It was even bigger in FF VII

Soria
December 4th, 2003, 04:36 PM
hmmmm I'm kinda looking forward to FF X-2. Of course, no game will be as good as Final Fanasty III ( The one with Kefka) to me, but if I get enjoyment out of it, why not?

KiTA
December 4th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Yeah It does...but it doesnt retain your "level" just your items, gil and mastery of jobs...and al bhed primers...

Yeah, you have to level up, but you have all your job skills, accessories, garmentspheres, etc so you're, er, $szDiety. A auto-haste and auto-beserk at the start of the game and you'll be level 20 or so rather quickly.

KiTA
December 4th, 2003, 05:14 PM

[spoiler:ba98f049dc]I don't mind when movies, or games don't have a happy endding or end with the hero dieing, but FFX didn't even have that. Instead they leave it hanging. That he could be alive, regaurdless of the fayth nolonger dreaming him into existance.[/spoiler:ba98f049dc]

You know, that's pretty par for Final Fantasy endings, though. Most of them leave a big question mark at the end to let the players draw their own conclusions. It was even bigger in FF VII

Actually, that's a load. FFX has the first *ENDING* in FF in a long time. There are no hanging questions, there or no extra possibilites, no extra villans sneaking around the background. When "The End" appeared for FFX, it was absolutely over. There was nothing left to do, no villans left, no way they could speculate as to what was going to happen. The villans were vanquished, the heros won (although, not without loss), and the world was saved from a death spiral. Everything after that is semantics.

[spoiler:ba98f049dc]The ending is sad, but for a reason. He's DEAD. By stopping Sin and the betrayal of Yevon, he woke the Fayth up and they could finally move on with their afterlives. He sacrificed himself so Yuna and the others could be happy. The original ending had *NO* chance of him EVER coming back, since HE NEVER REALLY EXISTED. He was just a dream of the Fayth, a fantasy that vanished once they stopped dreaming.

It's horribly noble, and heartbreakingly tragic. That makes the character for me. I hated him the entire game up until like the last 10 hours. He knew he was going to destroy himself, but he chose to do so in order to save Spira. As dorky as the little jock was, he really shined the last few hours of the game.[/spoiler:ba98f049dc]

That's why I have sorta a problem with FFX2, and why them having to re-write the ending by adding onto it is lame. For the first time in a very, very long time, a FF game had a nice, packaged ending that was all over when The End appeared, and they threw that out because they were in really REALLY bad financial straights and wanted to dance for the fanboys and fangirls.

Kaylen
December 4th, 2003, 05:19 PM
I thought FFVIII and IX ended pretty definitively. I didn't have any questions.

Chavarko
December 4th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Uh... yeah. What Kaylen said. FFVII ended with no questions, save for all those people wondering(hoping not) if Aeris was really dead.

FFVIII the only villian left alive at the end was Seifer and he was just a jerk that was used by the main villian.

FFIX I never finished. So I don't know.

Of course that's just my oppinion, and you're welcome to have yours.

Dark Tyger
December 4th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Kaylen: FF VII's ending was definate? Okay, did humanity live or die? Because it doesn't say either way.

KiTA
December 4th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Uh... yeah. What Kaylen said. FFVII ended with no questions, save for all those people wondering(hoping not) if Aeris was really dead.

FFVIII the only villian left alive at the end was Seifer and he was just a jerk that was used by the main villian.

FFIX I never finished. So I don't know.

Of course that's just my oppinion, and you're welcome to have yours.

Never Finished 8, couldn't stand it past the second CD. 9 I will someday finish, when I get it back (NEVER loan games to a 15 year old).

7 however had a BIG what the heck at the end.

[spoiler:167a3923c8]If I remember the game correctly, since it's been years since I played and beat it, in 7, the big bad guy summons Meteo, the ultimate black magic spell. This spell will wipe out the planet quicklike. In response, Aeris tries to summon Holy, the ultimate White Magic spell. However she is struck down before she can finish it. The thing about Holy is that it isn't just a anti-Meteo spell. Instead, Holy will wipe out anything that's a threat to the planet.

Anyway, heros face down the bad guy, and with Aeris's help, wipe him out and Holy goes off, taking out the Meteor which is hanging right above Midgard.

Flash forward to the ending FMV, which takes place "later". Quite a bit later, since Red 13 is running up to Midgard with his children. You see midgard, which before was blackened and devoid of life (except for human life), covered in vines, a complete 180. It's *booming* with life and natural beauty -- well, as much as a concrete ruins can be. Red Looks at it and you hear a bunch of etherial children laughin in the background.

The question you're supposed to be left with is (someone explained this to me, since I never quite got it):

1. Humanity was a plauge on the Earth, and Holy wiped them out. That's why Midgaard was in ruins and only Red is in the ending -- humans are long since extinct, and the laughter Red hears represents his memories of humanity.
2. Humanity wasn't a plauge, but the Mako tech sure as heck was. Midgard's in ruins because holy wiped it to the ground, and the people moved away. So the children's voices aren't reminders of humanity, they litererally are kids from off screen.[/spoiler:167a3923c8]

Kaylen
December 4th, 2003, 06:25 PM
I said FFVIII. Eight. 8. Not VII.

Dark Tyger
December 4th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Oh, I missed an I. >< Eh, they seem to bounce between loose ends and not. 6 and 7 both seemed to leave big questions. Never actually finished 5. 4, if memory serves, had quite a bit of uncertainty in it...

KiTA
December 4th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Hm, the ones I remember.

[spoiler:7b65fccb51]

1. Ending involved the heros preventing their own adventure, but also the birth of the main badguy. So they're all remembered in legend, but no one knows just why. FF1 had a pretty complex plot for it's time... pitty they let the people who made FF8 do what they did to the FF series. =/

2. Never finished

3. Never finished

4. The whole moon spinning off to find it's own story thing was pretty open ended. BTW, 4 has the best last boss fight ever. *Gets up, rushes into battle with 1 hp* *The entire planet casts life2 on the rest of the party all at once*

5. Never finished, working on it.

6. Pretty good ending. The whole question at the end of the game was if Kefka's meddling had doomed the planet, since ever since he moved the statues, no new life was born. In the ending you see a baby being born and a plant sprouting. The other question was if Terra was more human or more Esper, since in killing Kefka they destroyed all magic and all Espers. I don't remember the resolution to that.

7. Pretty open ended ending, not sure.

8. I never finished it, something about sucking all the universe's time into one spot and then killing the she-bitch who caused the whole mess?

9. Never finished it, although it's supposed to get pretty twisted towards the end.

10. Very final ending. The main hero turns out to be nothing more than a dream of the Fayth -- In other words, he like an Aeon, like Bahamut or Shiva. When he "kills" the Dead Summoner who is inside of Sin, the Fayth can finally move on to the farplane. Unfortunately in doing so, Tidus stops existing, since he was only existing because they were dreaming. It's a lot more complex than that, but that's the gist of it.

11. Has an ending, believe it or not. When you kill the Shadowlord who is in charge of the beastmen, it's supposed to be the final mission. However, the expansion pack added a bunch of new stuff after that.[/spoiler:7b65fccb51]

X2. No clue. Give me a week. ;) It apparently has multiple endings, too. So it's neato.

FFX actually has a glitch that works the same as a newgame+. You can get into a certain area you're not supposed to be able to go back to, and if you do, you can walk over to where the original story scene was and the story will rewind to that point. There's a FAQ for it on gamefaqs.com.

Cantatus
December 4th, 2003, 11:24 PM
"How would you feel if you didn't get the things on your list?"

So take FFX2 off your list. :P

Cobble
December 5th, 2003, 06:07 AM
X2. No clue. Give me a week. ;) It apparently has multiple endings, too. So it's neato.

I thought it had them too, but it doesnt really. It has a normal ending, then after that if you get over a certain percent its adds a bit more which is the "good" ending and after that if you manage to get 100% completion percentage you get the "best" ending.

So really one ending, 3 parts, and if you dont get 100% you dont get to see it all.

I have the guidebook, which I dont use BTW except for ability reference. Since I am on chapter 3 I was flipping through the chapter 1 walkthrough and I saw...oh whats this.... a cutscene I didnt see.....oh its worth .06 for completion percentage....oh I can't see the whole ending???

Makes it hard to continue playing since the gameplay isnt very good "IMHO" and all I was in it for was the story.

I wish I never opened the damn book.

KiTA
December 5th, 2003, 10:06 AM
I donno. The battle engine is just as good as FFX's, only this time it's active battle like the SNES FFs. Not bad at all, imho.

Cobble
December 5th, 2003, 10:20 AM
The battle engine is fine, square has been at it too long to mess that up. Its all the other little things like grid management, bad minigames, annoying missions, lack of character depth or development (I cringe everytime rikku says "poopie"). And worst of all in my opinion is the games constant attempt at being "hip" (I mean really, when you open a chest you "score an item")

all thats left really is to play the game to see the FMV that tells the story, so I guess its great that the sequal to FFVII is a movie. Cuts out all that other stuff..lol

I will say, there are many pluses to the game. I dont mean to be so negative. It looks great, it sounds great, the voice overs are decent. And at times is quite fun. And the plot is enough to make me really want to know what happens.

Zeal
December 5th, 2003, 11:56 AM
...I suck at blitzball...

Need to read a faq about it...

My FFX blitzball team was perfect!

Time to get some help with This inception of Blitzball

Its still fun though :D

KiTA
December 5th, 2003, 01:39 PM
The battle engine is fine, square has been at it too long to mess that up. Its all the other little things like grid management, bad minigames, annoying missions, lack of character depth or development (I cringe everytime rikku says "poopie"). And worst of all in my opinion is the games constant attempt at being "hip" (I mean really, when you open a chest you "score an item")

Actually, I found that 8's battle engine was absolutely worthless, and 7s was only OK. So yeah, they can screw it up. :)

10s was great though. The grid system was neato. 10-2s is... different. I'm not sure if I like it or not. The Dressspheres definately add a bit of uniqueness to the game, that's for sure.

I haven't gotten to the minigames yet, and I tend to dislike minigames a lot. 10... If I see one more chocobo going after a red balloon, I'm going to rip my TV Tuner Card out.

And yeah, the game trying so hard to be hip sucks. I donno if they just translated her better or not, but Rikku lost about 50 IQ points betwen the two games. Paine however, is pretty fun, and the game has some genuinely funny momments. But really, I think the game is just supposed to be light humour, not to be taken as serious as the first game.

Kaylen
December 5th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Actually, I found that 8's battle engine was absolutely worthless, and 7s was only OK. So yeah, they can screw it up. :)

This is your opinion - it means they can screw it up for you. Seven's was my favorite.

Chavarko
December 5th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Far as I'm concerned, Bliztball isn't in FFX-2. That's the one thing I absolutly hate. I loved playing Blitzball on FFX, but in X2, they made it so that you're the "coach" calling plays and such. You have next to no control over thier movments.

At least Video game football you can control your players.

John Dyne
December 6th, 2003, 11:02 AM
One of the geniunely funny moments? When they hit up Zanarkand, and Rikku guesses the clue is 'monkey'.. good God, the look on her face is creepy.

Zeal
December 6th, 2003, 01:04 PM
There isn't anything wrong with the new blitzball...

But I agree that the inception of it is a little weak...

It's still fun though

Found out the good way to do it...

Realmreaver
December 6th, 2003, 03:19 PM
I HATE the mini games in Final Fantasy games... they should be complete OPTIONS not a requirement if you want to see a good ending sory but that ya alls is LAME.

X2 is good and umm sorry to say this but a fan site had music videos that showed parts of the multiple endings. I won't speak what I saw. =)

7 had best 'different' magic system 8 and 10 to me had the worsed. Porb cause innovation shouldn't mean guess work and searching at the end for 34 hours to find the reflect and the other spells I needed in the game to win sucked. and um 8's steal magic theme? I don't think they could have done worse.

KiTA
December 7th, 2003, 10:58 AM
I do have to ask -- for those of you saying FF7's battle engine is your favorite, and comparing FF7, 8, 9 and 10... have you played 1, 4, 5 or 6?

Cobble
December 7th, 2003, 11:22 AM
I have played them all, I think the best combat was in american 3 (FF 6).

To be honest, IMHO, the FFtactics and FF tactics advance are the best games to hold the FF name.

By far

without a doubt

not even close.

but thats just one mans opinion.

KiTA
December 7th, 2003, 11:28 AM
If you liked FFT, you should try:

Disgaea <-- holy cow, it's like someone polled the FFT fanbase and made a game out of their distilled and tempered dreams. :) It's great!
Tactics Ogre <-- The first TO (Sequel to Ogre Battle) was a SNES game. Square hired the TO dev team to make FFT, and later bought their company. FFT can be discribed as an easier, simpler TO. (For example, TO has 3 paths through the game where you take different sides each time, so you see the story from 3 POVs each time.)
Fire Emblem <-- a remake of Nintendo's legendary SRPG, it's good but hard as heck.

[Edit: Yeah, I liked FF3's battle system too. I was wondering just how someone could like 8 over 6. @.@ I like FFX2's it really reminds me of a faster paced FF6 battle system.]

Realmreaver
December 7th, 2003, 05:33 PM
I have played them all, I think the best combat was in american 3 (FF 6).

To be honest, IMHO, the FFtactics and FF tactics advance are the best games to hold the FF name.

By far

without a doubt

not even close.

but thats just one mans opinion.

Prob is they are tactical stragedy games not RPG in the classical sense.

Cobble
December 7th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Prob is they are tactical stragedy games not RPG in the classical sense.

There is no problem, I wasnt comparing anything. As far as games bearing the FF name, those to IMO are by far the best.