PDA

View Full Version : It was a REALLY GOOD Feign Death! (12/22)

Woody
December 22nd, 2003, 03:58 AM
Please pardon me while I ramble on feeding you inane details about an event you could probably care less about.

I would like to say up front, what you are about to read is EXACTLY the kind of thing I get emailed to me telling me what a great joke it would make. **rolls his eyes**

I'm pretty sure it's situationally funny and no one will care.

Welcome to my world.

-----

Vapid recounting as follows:

Guildmates and I went on an LDoN adventure Friday. It was a 21 Collect in Mistemoore. And we knew we were losing the Paladin after about an hour.

In my estimation, collect 21 in an hour is DEFINATELY doable.

I was wrong. The comic you see is an actual discussion that happened after the Paladin had to go. **grins** Of course the other guy KNOWS I can't Feign Death. I think maybe he was trying to get me ... KILLED. **gasps dramatically**

We still had 7 or so to collect too, and only a half hour to do it. So it wasn't going to be a cake walk.

Well we did win. With about 5 minutes left. And it just so happened to be right when the servers started having problems Friday night. It was a full minute (maybe more) after we'd collected the 21st piece before we got the Ding! and notification that's we'd succeeded.

We were fixing to Evac out to split when I got an urgent tell for an SOE staff member telling me not to zone. So I shouted out and the druid ducked immediately. **laughs** Was a very interesting circumstance.

See, if we'd zoned, the game would have dumped us to desktop. So, we stayed in and got some exp, until the poor cleric, who was having to pacify pull, brought a full room.

The guy in blue there died. So did the Cleric. One druid evacced, while the others of us booked for the zone. I hit the zone with 70%. I stood there looking at the zone line, waiting to either zone or get dumped from the game. Everything was hung up. I had no mouse control. But, I was still seeing text in the zone. The other guys were cursing because it didn't seem as though we were going to be allowed to zone.

The game finally horked, and I bounced out to the chat room to wait.

When I finally got back in... there I was at 30%. Apparently the mobs had been beating on me while I tried to zone. **shrugs**

Just thought I share.

**coughs**

Ciarin
December 22nd, 2003, 04:00 AM
lolimm

happens to me sometimes.

Shiach_gaidin
December 22nd, 2003, 04:10 AM
LOL, loved it, this being my first day as a main tank/puller, you know i think they do need an actually ability that let's you Feign death, could be useful

Sticket
December 22nd, 2003, 04:11 AM
Ha reminds me of a group tonight. I was in the outter cave camp in Plane of Valor with a necro in the group while on my monk. I made a bad pull and had 2. The pally tank bit the dust at which time one came after me and the other after the necro. I feigned, he died. The cleric who came to rez the pally didn't notice the necro was dead so didn't rez him before taking off. After sitting there a sec we realized that the necro hadn't been rezed. Being a smartass, I said 'Well guys, either the necro is still did or he did one hell of a FD.' Great timing for this comic for me :)

KyrosKrane
December 22nd, 2003, 04:15 AM
LOL, and not just IMM either! :)

Saethori
December 22nd, 2003, 04:29 AM
I am very well aquainted with the art of, ah, 'feigning' death. It's so realistic, in fact, that a Cleric needs to be there to get me to un-'feign'...

Makes me wonder what would happen if a warrior tried to feign-pull this way. Probably would work worse than expected.

Naryn
December 22nd, 2003, 04:54 AM
Hehe :) Reminds me of a time in Lower Guk undead throne room when I was fighting with some guildmates. I had just gotten complete heal about five levels ago so I was still learning to time it.

The main tank was a paladin from my guild, and I decided to CH him while fighting the lord.

Poor Praetor actually fell unconcious on the ground and lay there for a moment before my CH kicked in and healed him to full. He had held off on Lay Hands since he trusted my timing :)

ancarett
December 22nd, 2003, 06:08 AM
Any outing where the cleric lives can be considered a successful run of "group feign death." That's my take on these things. Of course, I always played a cleric. . . . ;)

Kinarie
December 22nd, 2003, 06:13 AM
When I used to play EQ, my guild had FD pullers and RD pullers, rd meaning real death =p We did it all the time.

rillaith
December 22nd, 2003, 07:08 AM
IFD (Improved Feign Death) is a natural rogue skill. We can train in it from level 1.

Err.....

... that's right isn't it? Don't tell me I've been dying for the last 65 levels? *blinkablink*

Dari

Mordican
December 22nd, 2003, 07:09 AM
Been there, done that :) I've had to pet pull a whole LDoN thanks to the monk going LD every 10 minutes. Thats always fun... Overpull... well you run up to where the pet is and try to nuke a few down before you die

Kat
December 22nd, 2003, 07:45 AM
Woody the important thing is did you get to keep you XP and items from the LDON?

I thought it was funny if you had "been there" or not.
And most of us have been there.

Raven00x
December 22nd, 2003, 08:01 AM
warrior FD is always funny :D 'specially when you hear "no problem, i can pull th-"

Kheera
December 22nd, 2003, 09:15 AM
Shortly after some of the PoP planes were opened to given levels instead of requiring a flag to enter, I decided to go give it a look with a group from my guild. We got slightly lost but found a nice place to pull critters by a stream. We killed a couple critters then found a fun one, a giant which was only partially slowable (wow! new concept!) and evidently killed our MT warrior in two hits! uh... waitaminute.. he's not dead, he's, uh, FD. A warrior. /blinkblink ... Turned out this giant procs FD, so the fight was kinda fun as agro bounced around a little.

So critters start repopping and we start re-killing then get back to the FD proc big ugly. We pull, start attacking, I land the partial slow -- and MT promptly goes LD. And we have no backup MT person, and we find out he summons too. Whee! I kept his attention for a little, having the slow aggro, but didn't last long; fortunately for me, at 4% health he procced FD on me, and you'd better bet I stayed down! I started yelling at the rest of the group to stay down if they got FD but no-one else managed it. About 5 minutes later, there's our MT logging back in in the middle of our pile of bodies, and I swear I saw him jump 4 feet as I said "Welcome back" from the middle of the pile, still FD.

Erling E.
December 22nd, 2003, 09:28 AM
I'm reminded of the Skate Gnome feature, where he feigned death in a ticket line or something. That was awsome.

Everybody should read Skater Gnome!

Penguin (:>(O ):
December 22nd, 2003, 09:34 AM
HAHA yeah i dont know much about the whole pulling situation being a rogue but now that you explain the comic its pretty funny. Btw hi everyone been gone for a week.

Wooleen Shadowraith
December 22nd, 2003, 09:58 AM
hey I dont need FD, ima ranger, i dont need to fake it :)

Woody
December 22nd, 2003, 10:02 AM
Wooly... that was my point exactly.
**grins**

Psychosongs
December 22nd, 2003, 10:03 AM
My 1st post!!
That reminds me of when I LDed bye useng the /q command in an LDoN because I got in trouble with my dad. Something about not doing chores.
And, I didn't have the time/didn't feel like the dramatic, "I have to go. I' sorry for the inconvenience" and have them curse as the 30 second countdown continues. Well anyway, the next day I go to play. I log on; and, I'm still in the LDoN zone. And, I get the yellow text saying, "your mision was a success." So, I'm like "yippe". I get the points after all; and, right when I click the trap door, BAM! black screen; white text; "YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED". A nd, I couldn't log on my poor bard for a week. So, my little shammy went from lvl 11-15 that week. Because of that week... my bard was a l'il jealous.

Woody Edit: Sorry there guy. But, you really need to work on your spelling and grammar.

It certainly doesn't have to be perfect. But, it does need to be better than what you posted above.

From a teaching/learning perspective, that one paragraph would be more than enough errors to receive an F. You even mispelled the name of your STATE in your "location" profile.

Work on it please. Take a little more time. Focus. You can do it; we have faith. Thanks.

Billybobtheranger
December 22nd, 2003, 10:36 AM
Exact same situation happened to me last night woody...warrior stuck in the zoning..then I was forced to click away at the first general chat to get some answers.

Gnomish
December 22nd, 2003, 10:52 AM
Friday Night and Last Night were totally messed up.. heh.. that was funnu i'll tell a warrior to FD to see what they do

Lenghost
December 22nd, 2003, 03:54 PM
Honestly Woody, I wasn't trying to kill you :wink: Without you tanking, I'd have no one to hide behind :P I wouldn't suggest you give FD a try either as my attempt was rather painful.

Loved the comic / Lenghost

Woody
December 22nd, 2003, 04:10 PM
**laughs**

It's all good Len. I know how it REALLY is.
**grins**

Hey, I have your plat as well.

Landsknecht
December 22nd, 2003, 04:34 PM
The FD proccing giants were a new one on me too. My first time up in Storms and I was at a giant camp. Had an amazingly poor tank, I didn't start backstabbing until 90% and he STILL could not hold the agro, even with me Evading... Anyways, giant whirls around, THUMP, I'm on the ground... Took me a sec to figure out what had happened. :)

Foromir
December 22nd, 2003, 04:40 PM
I can FD verry well with Foro just need to master the getting up part ;)

Woody
December 22nd, 2003, 04:43 PM
Yeah Foromir, my understanding is that we're SUPPOSED to get up in the same place we fell over. We're NOT supposed to get back up, several zones away.

Naelaen
December 22nd, 2003, 05:16 PM
I've always wondered why warriors and monks have different feign death messages. For monks it's " has fallen to ground". For Warriors it's "has been slain by." The warrior's is more effective as it implies the warrior has actually died, which is proven by the fact that EVERY time a warrior feigns death he looses all of his or her aggro. Personally I think the warrior feign death needs a smack from the nerf stick :D

(P.S. I know the Monk message comes up when the FD has failed :P)

Remban
December 22nd, 2003, 11:32 PM
LOL, this comics is great! Only story I have to tell about Fding was an annoying monk who would feign and then say "I've fallen and I can't get up!" as fast as his Feign refreshed. Needless to say, not long after he started doing this the group leader gave him the boot.

LordRahl86
December 23rd, 2003, 12:26 AM
Please don't kill me for this, but a guy that was on last night got me REALLY annoyed at grammer and spelling issues (he was one of those guys that can't spell a single word, and it seemed he was rping an ogre... as a half elf). After a long argument involving the fact that I could barely understand what he was saying (and he claimed to know several high end mages that preferred water to air... or, as he called it, "ari"), and that he was pissed the mage was using an earth pet while he was trying to kite a load of orcs, and I'll not even MENTION what happened when the warrior got there...

After he left, the mage and I moved to Slave Caves and we got 3 more people (the cleric and warrior left), and had a grand time killing many an orc, except that they were mostly lblue and green to us ::shrug::.

It's "probably couldn't care less". See, if you could probably care less, that implies that there something you care less about than the issue, IE Canada.

However, if you COULDN'T care less, then Canada IS more important than the issue.

Also, it WAS funny. My Iksar warrior is often mistaken for a monk for his amazing FD ability... it's just too bad I haven't been able to get on him since they made the melee changes :(

In fact, I can't get on ANY of my KB chars... anyone else having this issue with KB but not other servers (IE Innoruk and Stromm)?

Woody
December 23rd, 2003, 02:38 AM
But, in context, if they "probably couldn't care less" about my anecdote, then it's probable that they could not care less about my anecdote. That is me putting my anecdote at the lowest possible position. If I felt they care about my anecdote say... more than information about cheese production, then I would have said "probably could care less".

My intention is exactly as I stated it... they probably couldn't care less.

Ciarin
December 23rd, 2003, 02:53 AM
I don't know exactly what Lord was talking about, but the proper form of the expression is "couldn't care less", which is often incorrectly said as "could care less".

The other variation would be "couldn't give a rat's ass", and the incorrect form is "could give a rat's ass"...among other variations which would probably be censored, lolimm.

Woody is in the right.

By the way, what does "feign death" mean?

Landsknecht
December 23rd, 2003, 02:59 AM
It's a skill/spell that some classes have in EQ. The person flops to the ground and looks like a corpse. If it is succesful, the monsters go, "Ugh, it's dead" and wander back home. If not succesful, the monsters say, "Ugh, it's helpless and on the ground! **STOMP**STOMP**"

Ciarin
December 23rd, 2003, 03:07 AM
hmmmm.......interesting.

Naelaen
December 23rd, 2003, 06:07 AM
Extremely interesting when it fails hehe :D

What Landsknecht forgot to mention was that Warriors aren't one of the classes who get feign death. Here'sFeign Death explained (http://eq.crgaming.com/editorials/feign_death.asp) on casters realm. I know most of it won't interest you, but it should give you the general idea (summed up very nicely by Landsknecht :)) and anyone else who hasn't the foggiest what Feign death is.

LordRahl86
December 25th, 2003, 07:04 AM
But, in context, if they "probably couldn't care less" about my anecdote, then it's probable that they could not care less about my anecdote. That is me putting my anecdote at the lowest possible position. If I felt they care about my anecdote say... more than information about cheese production, then I would have said "probably could care less".

My intention is exactly as I stated it... they probably couldn't care less.

You said could.