PDA

View Full Version : Giving items to newbies

FuzzyBear
December 23rd, 2003, 10:56 AM
I really like watching their eyes turn into dinner plates when they see the stats on something I considered trash. It's definately worth more to me than the few plat I would have gotten from selling it.

I guess I feel semi-obligated, as so many people gave me things when i started, but that's not why I do it. I just hate to sell something that someone could use. Does anyone else here spend a lot of time doing hand-me-downs?
Thanks to the LFG tool, I can do it more than I used to, but I'd kinda like to hear some stories from the rest of you. I usually frequent greater faydark and shadeweaver's thicket, but if anyone has ideas for a better or more populated zone, i'd love to hear it.

Raven00x
December 23rd, 2003, 11:00 AM
i'd like to, lord knows i have enough stuff on my bazaar mule that won't sell, but the only problem that i find is i can't really find newbies who aren't twinked out the wazoo already, or ones that i think will actually use the gear i give them and not just turn around and sell it or something.

Morniel
December 23rd, 2003, 11:08 AM
I used to give things out to newbies with a fair amount of frequency. I also used to spend a significant amount of time running around Neriak and Nektulos hunting down lower level characters so I could buff them.

Now, though...
Well, it just seems like there are no more newbies. Not real ones, anyway - by that I mean people who just started the game, or who haven't been playing very long. Seems like most low level characters now are twinks. It's depressing to walk up to a level 5 character and inspect them, thinking that I can give them something... only to find that they are alread wearing better than what I was planning to give them. Or maybe it's a real upgrade - but their response is say 'thx' and walk away.

I don't even want to talk about the beggars. Even when I have things that I am >looking< for someone to give them to, hearing 'do u have nething to spare plz??' just invokes my canned response of 'I do not give to beggars.'

So... most of my random junk goes on my bazaar mule now, to be turned into plat. Still pretty useless to me, but at least it doesn't take up bank space that way!

Kudane
December 23rd, 2003, 11:10 AM
yea, I use to give velium weapons to newbies (would have bags of them).. that ended the day one said "man this is crap"...

i still do it some, but not as much..

PS.. Raven, now I have that blue song in my head, thanks to your signature...

Xorekill
December 23rd, 2003, 11:15 AM
I tried giving to newbs....but there just not on TZ. Every level 3 hybrid is running around in at least an Iksar BP, most in Fungi. Every level 5 bard has Naggy drums and shawls ( no drop mind you ) from SG. etc, etc, etc.

I was hoping this was just the case on TZ, being a Zek and all, but from what ya'll are saying it's not.

Tis a shame :( Guess the Two-handed Practice sword goes to the Bazaar.

Raven00x
December 23rd, 2003, 11:16 AM
bwa ha ha ha ha! memetic virus research still continung, but looking promising :twisted:
---

what i've been doing recently is hanging on to stuff to give to people i know from other servers to entice them into coming to luclin. just ask john...

Kudane
December 23rd, 2003, 11:29 AM
what i've been doing recently is hanging on to stuff to give to people i know from other servers to entice them into coming to luclin. just ask john...

really, soooooo whats on the menu for this week? (hehehe)

Dakya
December 23rd, 2003, 11:33 AM
When I changed servers, I decided that it'd be a nice thing to give away my 52 paladin's gear to newbies in her hometown Qeynos. It was depressing how many of them had better than I could offer. After handing away a few things (to people who were still somewhat twinked and probably sold what I gave them)I was all set to just destroy my stuff. Then I saw a naked level 6 paladin run by.

So, I told her I was getting old and wanted to pass my armor along to a young adventurer, and she immediately told me she'd be honored to have it and would wear it with pride. She told me she was a brand new player, and it was very clear that I'd made her day. I haven't seen a real newbie since then.

Kat
December 23rd, 2003, 11:48 AM

Or that cheapskate beggar Morire.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 23rd, 2003, 11:55 AM
I am always hesitant about giving away stuff because I am never sure who is a real newb and who isn't.

One test I would use sometimes is to make them come to me. If they had problems getting to me, I knew they were a real newb. One time, I told this little level 2 mage to come to the bank in Kelethin. They said okay.. then how do I get there. A few more minutes of talking to them, I could tell that they honestly had NO idea how to get to Kelethin, let alone the bank. So I told them I would meet them at the entrance to Felwithe, and then I gave them all of the stuff I was going to hand out. They were so ecstatic.

On the other hand, one day I took my alt to Kaladim to do the CB belts thing and decided to give away all of the patchwork armor that he gave me. Although I knew it wasn't great stuff, I figured that it was better than being naked. Instead of the newbs I gave stuff to being grateful, I got cussed out by a few pure casters because they couldn't wear the stuff I had.

Renix
December 23rd, 2003, 12:40 PM
I've got various things sitting around in my bank that I never use anymore, and if I see a newb tank class I usually make an effort to give the item(s) to them. When I just started playing and got into a guild, someone gave me a full outfit of stat items, and I felt like a god.

I figure I may as well pass some stuff down myself.

laertise
December 23rd, 2003, 12:42 PM
I play some alts no at the lower lvls my main being a lvl 64 pally the other night I was doing an ldon with some low 30's when I realized the Pally with us was a true blue newb. Everyone else was a twink. We got done I logged on my trader had my old 1hb and gave it to the dude. Other than that it must have been the first newb Iv'e met in months.\

Laertise

LowerClassBrat
December 23rd, 2003, 01:09 PM
I remember back when i was but a wee level 10 newb cleric a human monk came up to me and said do you wanna buy this?
It was a velium frosted mace.
I asked how much, and he told me only 20 plat
My exact reaction

HOW ON EARTH WILL I MAKE 20 PLAT?!?!?

He thought it was funny i thoguht that was alot so he gave it to me.

Lancetheavatar
December 23rd, 2003, 01:24 PM
I still remember the first item I ever recieved to "twink" me from higher levels...

A walrus tooth. On a level 4 or so Mage. :p But I had to make a promise before I took it that I would help someone else by giving it and one other item to them when I didn't need it...

Sooo...flash forward a few years. I've long since given away the tooth, but I stopped playing for a while. A LONG while. New account, new Mage (the old one only made it to 12, in fact). Same server.

I have zero plat, zero gear (except for newbie robe), but I'm having fun again. A Druid has been hanging out at the Felewith entrance for a while, watching me, and at first I find it kind of odd but then ignore it.

Next thing I know *boom* trade window opens.(this is back with the old UI, so it would have been very hard to ignore.) In the window is a backpack with a little gear, not uber but at that level it was great. After a few minutes of /canceling, she insists that I accept it and I do, on the promise that when I am done with it I add something to the pack and give it to a newbie.

Now in the pack was a walrus tooth. It didn't click till after I had added a piece and given the pack away, but I realized that the tooth could have been the same tooth I was given and gave away.

I guess it is kind of heartening to know that traditions exist still in EQ, and I still wonder if that same tooth is wandering around Vaz. :D

Rosey
December 23rd, 2003, 01:55 PM
Mostly I buff newbies. I pass along gear to people who legitmately seem to have no clue what they are doing, or I twink out my friends who start playing. Currently I am broke from outfitting my husband and two friends who recently started playing EQ.

laertise
December 23rd, 2003, 02:04 PM
My little brother started a warrior so I twinked him lvl 5 and he had about 5k in gear lvl 11 he died in CB while I was at work and let his corpse expire.

Laertise

Coffee
December 23rd, 2003, 02:26 PM
Everyone I played with on Drinal seems to have moved on so if I play again Raven look out for me on Luclin.

Raven00x
December 23rd, 2003, 02:30 PM
well gurney-san, i've got a wiiiide selection of wis caster and bard stuff, so yawp when you decide to become One of Us again.

note: if it's not a barbaric yawp, i'll probably ignore it.

DogEye
December 23rd, 2003, 02:35 PM
my veiw ... if i want to give away something... i'll ask if any one wants it
if you send me a tell asking for stuff and i didn't shout or ooc i was giving stuff away... i give you my begger speach in repliy and send you away with nothing

lingrem
December 23rd, 2003, 07:07 PM
I made this account just to post in this thread... I've been sort of a lurker for a while, but what the hey.

I don't play EQ anymore as I lost interest without being able to find anyone to group with after ldon came out.. I made it to level 20 for the first time shortly after it came out.

Anyway.

I've played on both Bertox and the Tribunal.

I was rather fortunate, in finding people who wanted to give me items. I didn't always like to accept because I felt bad... someone gave me a Jagged Band (I think that was it's name) and I felt amazed that they'd give it to me... I also remember a gnome asking me to take his plat and buy him one of the gate spells sold in Neriak.. I did so, gave him his change, and he insisted that I take an Ancient Sensate Eye.

I was truly amazed and that is my favourite item my little character ever had... I decided after I remade my character on the Tribunal that someday, I would need to get her one as well.

Silly.. but true.

I was a small level, but my friends and boyfriend were higher levels.. so I seemed like a twink sometimes. But I managed to come across a few people that were newer than I was... so I'd give them 20 plat (which was generally close to all that I had!) and they would be SOOO amazed.. I'd laugh and tell them I did the same thing not long before that... I still find 100 plat to be "wow" because I always spent it on items or spells so quickly after getting any...

Druidic Elf
December 23rd, 2003, 07:26 PM
Lol, I will soon be a newbie! Fhwee! Then I can run around, clueless to everything that I can and cannot do and have lots and lots of fun. I find 10 plat amazing, judging from what my friend tells me. Also, I cannot imagine how people get 100's of 1000's of plat, when it's tough for my friend to get just 1, lol.

Evil_Gondi
December 23rd, 2003, 07:59 PM
In my case, whenever i offer some stuff to some naked charecter, they say "thx, but i'm waiting for my friend to give me some stuff, and guessing from your armor, you need it more than i do."
Then they end up giving me something.
Such grateful people there are.

Evil

Dubheasa
December 23rd, 2003, 08:13 PM
I always try to pass stuff on to newer people if I can. Sometimes they are just new to the server, sometimes new to the game. I don't play EQ, but I do this in DAoC. When my husband was playing EQ back in the old days, I'd log on his druid and just SoW everyone I saw...it was fun, made me feel like Santa :lol: Most recently, when cleaning out my druid's vault I ran into a new druid and gave him all my stuff...now he's a legendary armor crafter and told me I can have whatever I want. Good deeds can be repaid in kind sometimes.

Scaramouch
December 23rd, 2003, 09:07 PM
I've always trolled around reading tales of everyone on the board and enjoying the sense of nostalgia they brought.

Back when was lvl 6 or so playing my half-elf rogue the week Druzzil Ro came out, I met alot of my friends by donating my items. I used to roleplay a Robin Hood type of character who would gladly give to anyone who needed help in Greater Faydark. Usually if none of my friends or if I didn't see any new players in the immediate area, I would usually hold a hide and sneak event rewarding items to those who could find me. Or I would make up riddles and ask people to answer them for an item. Usually it was just misc. items I found like leather armor or CB belts I didn't really need but if you played back then you'd know people would gladly take them off your hands and actually USE them. *sigh* I miss those days. I met a few of my good friends Maliceon, Zvar, Billibo and a few other miscellaneous players.

I left around 2 months before Velious came out after I lost all my items exploring Kunark due to falling through the hull of the boat and being unable to retrieve my corpse since no GMs were on to assist me during the time my corpse was rotting.

When I came back from my hiatus, I started up a rogue and messaged some of my friends in hopes of getting a responce. Turns out, most of them had made it to higher levels that I only dreamed of at the time. Zvar managed to reach 50ish, Billibo the same, and Maliceon leveled his wizard up to 35 or so. They ended up power leveling me and twinking me out so I could play with them or their alts at the time. I miss those days playing with my friends.

Its depressing so few people roleplay and how many twinks there are. Too bad SOE wouldn't make a new server like The Fallen, but instead of it being hard core PVP just the old world and maybe Kunark since Iksar's added alot to the game.

Nulien
December 23rd, 2003, 10:55 PM
I find it hard to give away used stuff for free too... most characters below level 10 seem to have better gear than my level 54 Ranger. It amazes me when someone actually COMPLAINS about not being able to do more than the maximum amount of damage per hit that can be done in the first few levels.

When I try to give an item away, I also try to make people put some effort into it. Usually, I give stuff to rangers (yes, I'm biased), so I stand somewhere in the middle of the Greater Faydark and have them track me. The last time I did something like that though, I got ZERO response, and the cloak I was trying to get rid of (don't remember the name of it) would've made a nice item that someone could've worn into their 30s.

Dragonel
December 24th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Lance, that was quite possibly one of the coolest stories I've ever heard...

Before I share my tale, let me give y'all a quick note about equipment in Anarchy Online- Everything comes with a QL, or "Quality level". The quality levels correspond to character levels, so a QL 20 piece of armor would be what an 'average' level 20 character would have. Some items were only available at specific QLs (such as 100+), others were QL "Special" (typically some of the best items in the game, which you could usually equip sometime between 75 and 150). The way the stat requirements worked, if you did your math right you could probably equip stuff of about 1.3 times your level if you were on the bleeding edge (this isn't really twinking- Twinks view less than 2x your level in QL as gimped).

So, when I was level 10 or so, wandering around Rome, some Agent (sniper, like myself) announced that he had a QL 75 Caterwaul. Now, a Caterwaul's a nice rifle, one of the three best 'common' rifles in the game. Being QL 75, I knew there was no way I could equip it. A few minutes later, he said "Sure? *No* one wants it?" So I said "I'll take it..." And he gave it to me, saw my level, gave me a rifle in a range I *could* equip, buffed me into that, and explained that the armor I was wearing was *all* wrong- He gave me some of the finer points of fine-tuning my crits and wearing the best armor for my character type, along with some other helpful hints. We made pretty fast friends, actually.

But it sort of sparked something in me. After that, I *never* sold another old rifle- Aside from the fact that there are just easier ways of getting money, the reaction you'd get from some lower level agents would just be mind-boggling. Luckily for me, twinked agents weren't super common on AO, so I rarely had trouble finding someone who needed a rifle. It was strange, but it indoctrinated me into a sort of fraternity of Agents... Whenever I met another agent we'd compare rifles, swap any old guns if it'd benefit the other agents, and talk about the advantages we felt one model posed over another...

Good times. Times of camraderie. Even when I all but abandoned my agent in favor of a Doc, I still loved to talk shop with Agents. If I found a good rifle on a mission I had trouble selling it... There was *always* someone who needed it, I though...

Morniel
December 24th, 2003, 05:12 AM
I cannot imagine how people get 100's of 1000's of plat, when it's tough for my friend to get just 1, lol.

As a cleric I never really had all that much plat until I was well into my late 50's.

Now... until a couple recent purchases for a friend, I had almost 600k in the bank. Even with spending 350k in the past 2 weeks, I'm holding steady a little over 300k.

So how do I have that much? The main factor is that I have practically no expenses. I have all my buyable spells. There's pretty much no droppable gear out there that would be an upgrade for me. My guild provides peridots and emeralds to cover all the ones I use while raiding. Innate metabolism means I don't even need to buy food and drink all that often (though I generally make my own food/drink anyway).

Now add on to that the fact that it's easy to make 100-300 plat in a single LDoN adventure (even splitting the plat 6 ways). My best friend and I (the one I bought that stuff for) share a bank, and almost always adventure together - so make that 200-600 per adventure. Though I haven't been doing as many lately, I think I have around 200 or so adventures done - so that's a fair bit of plat there. Add onto that a 1/6th to 2/6th cut of any items we happen to get while adventuring (some of which have sold for up to 75k in the bazaar - the stuff that drops on hard is pretty nice).

Anyway... my point is that once you get to a certain level in the game, plat becomes MUCH easier to come by, especially if you are in a raiding guild.

Want to make plat without getting to that level? If you're willing to farm tradeskill stuff, you can make a mint doing that. Spider silks, othmir furs, temper parts (like essence of shadow)... heck, make celestial essence and sell it at 4-5pp each (it costs something like 1.5-2pp to make) and you can make money just by clicking.

TheEmerged
December 24th, 2003, 06:29 AM
The flipside of the "there are no true newbies" left statement are those of us that are 51 and still wearing several pieces of newbie-quest armor...

Naelaen
December 24th, 2003, 06:35 AM
lol, I was about to say that myself TheEmerged except I'm nowhere near 51 for the time being..... but I am gradually upgrading to ivy etched :)

You cant even buff newbies now for fear of overwriting something that's better, or just the fact that you see level 7s in kurns attempting to solo because they have temperance :D

jayboker
December 24th, 2003, 06:39 AM
I came back to Everquest after been gone for 2 years playing dark age of camelot, and was very surprised how easy it was to gain plat and buy what i used to consider uber geer for cheap.... I had made over 5000 plat before hitting level 20 from just farming zombie skins and spiderling silks. I remember when the game first came out, my shaman's biggest thrill was getting a totemic 2hd blunt weapon for 20 plat, which used to be alot of money at that time.

I think the game has just simply moved towards getting people to the high end part of the game, i got my warrior to level 40 in 1 week, my highest when i left was level 45. That took me about a year to get to.

Keaolien
December 24th, 2003, 07:52 AM
I remember when I made my very very first EQ char, Ralain, a human warrior. Around level 12, he was wearing all cloth, and using his newbie sword still. Some barb warrior (can't remember the name) came up and opened trade window. It had a full suit of crafted in it and a velium longsword.

This was back in the day when crafted was considered UBER warrior gear. Man, I almost crapped myself. I felt so good. Nowadays, I attempt to give away as much old junk as I can. Got monk stuff, cleric stuff, some warrior stuff. I have no idea how I got it, I don't want it, so I give it away. lol

Nulien
December 24th, 2003, 08:21 AM
That was me, TheEmerged... I didn't finish replacing my last piece of newb gear until level 51.

Penguin (:>(O ):
December 24th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Just yesterday i gave a sarnak skullsplitter to a newb, and i said MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Devon
December 24th, 2003, 06:53 PM
I'm an actual newb.. been playing for a week. And I'm surprisingly happy at how patient people are. Every once in a while someone will offer me an item, or ask me to group with them, and when I confess that I have no idea how to get where they're asking me to go, or I have no idea what the hell all their acronyms mean... they usually slow down, use proper english, and often will come straight to me, even if I'm quite far away. The first time I tried to pay for a buff, the person who cast it on me decided it would be free because I didn't know how to pay them. And then they explained how to do it in the future. When I tried to pay them anyhow, they refused it. Which was awesome, because 20 plat was all I had in the bank. :)

I'm so in love with everything about this game. I could do without the server problems, but hey.. nothing is ever perfect, and I've been shown nothing but complete courtesy from my fellow players.

Now, if only it were easy to find folks to group with me. :)

Sarius
December 24th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Ugh, i got loads of gear which is on my level 54 paladin, i then got FFXI. So like a month later i realise the paladins not doing anything so i attempt to log on to give all my stuff to a friend i made in game (level 30 or so, has helped me SO much) and my subscription has finished, though i havent actually chose to end the billing!

Tuluz
December 24th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Umm well as far as the Kelethin thing I am not quite new I played back during Velious took a break for a year or so. and Now have a 36 main and a couple really low newbs. I still don't know Kelethin and I have a Druid still in Gfay I have the hardest time finding my guild hall. :lol:

I know a few zones like the back of my hand but there a bunch of places I have never been. I use POK but never been to another plane zone. But when ever I can I give stuff to newbies cause I know how good it felt to receive gear. Heck it still feels good to recieve gear my tailoring is only 90 so my main is still wearing hand me downs from guildies or stuff I can afford on Baz. But I loot stuff and farm stuff that is great for lower lvls and I hand out when the opportunity presents itself.

I know there are people out there that are lvl 10 and have stuff that is better than mine, but there are still those out there that need help. Though they are fewer they are still there. I hate beggars as well. :) Gosh my thoughts are flowing rather hap-hazardly. Sorry.... :)

Challel
December 24th, 2003, 08:24 PM
I dunno, every time I feel the need to give things away, Qeynos hills and the front gate at Qeynos is the place to hand out things. I recall spenind about, 1 or 2 hours watching over this femme human ranger who only knew how to speak in ooc.

Gave her a crystalline robe, some shoulderpads and then instructed her on how to work up on getting her own armor from the guildmaster and such.

She sends me tells when she sees me online, usually sundays or such, it's nice to see her grow up as it were.

So that made me feel rather good, when I reactivate my account I'll hunt around for her and give her some appropriate gear that I had roughly at her 'age' if she hasn't been given new stuff.

Tho the other day as I gave some things out, had one guy complain that 'You're just giving them away, why can't I have more than one?' (referring to some studded leather/spiked collars I had gotten while waiting for the gnoll courier to spawn). And another fellow I talked to for awhile had another character but didn't like how a wizzies are so he was making a druid. Refused outright to 'waste time' hunting for newbie armor stuff, even when the only no-drops for it were the bones and such, he didn't want to waste plat purchasing the leathers and crude iron, and quests 'suck'.

I just shrugged, he thanked me for the robe and I left to go wait for Hadden to pop.

It's just how it goes, Bristlebane may have it's problems, but it's not that hard finding folks who are either new at the game, or just joined the server.

rimedragona
December 26th, 2003, 02:25 AM
Well, I'm not a new player, and I know my way around the game, but as my highest character is only 22, I can say that there are still a lot of patient helpful people out there willing to give someone who actually needs it a helping hand. And yes, when I start a new character, I start a new character. I don't transfer items, and money stays with the character that earned it. They will probably need it, as it never amounts to all that much.

So, when people stop to give me buffs or items, or sometimes even random plat (!), I am grateful. And when I don't need the items anymore (which doesn't happen all that often, as most of the gifted items are quite beyond me), I make sure to give them to someone who needs them. I generally follow them around a bit first, which I bet must creep them out, somewhat. ^_^ I have never had anyone complain, or be rude to me when I do so... they've all been thankful, and polite. And if they do turn around and sell it, it's no skin off my nose... and I'll never know. ^_^ The next time I see them, I'll still be lvl 22 warrior knocking about doing a lot of nothing, and they'll be 51 such-and-so. I suppose it would be nice if they gave it away, but it's their choice. *shrug*

I do miss the days of newbieness, though... and a world without instant travel and such... but that's not for this topic, so I'll be quiet and eat my christmas cookie...s... ^_~

Reymi_VZ
December 26th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Two stories.
Good first.
Dear friend of mine who I no longer have much to do with for the past 2 years due to time differnces and guid changes used to give out quests to real newbies. Remember I play on a PVP server so some of the low end trash drops the character was asked to get may seem simple, but in fact they weren't. One that i remember very clearly was one that went on for well over a month. Each week at the same time he would meet the young human paladin born in Freeport (not those Hippie Qeynos players), see how he was going and send him off for the next step. Every continent was visited. In the end I remember he got a SSB, FBSS, and some jewerlly. SSB and resist jewerlly were incredibly good rewards. He was thrilled, my friend was thrilled, and I got all tingly.
Bad next.
Back on my first character (blue server) - I was in the tail end of the original batch of 50's. Been there, done that, got the teeshirt then pawned it. :P Growing up there was another RL female that played the same race class gender combo (but was 5 levels higher) as I did (Necros were seen as male I guess). She and I would duo in places I wouldn't have thought and helped me with the odd spell if I blew up all my words. So I decided to repay the favour. There was a real newbie necro. I met him in NRO. I took him through Najena. I took him to SolsA, etc. I equiped him if what he needed didn't drop. I gave him every spell he needed. He asked in his 40's how could he ever repay me. I said, well EBoots would be nice. I never expected to get them, wasn't counting on them. I was in full blighted - had 200 int, didn't need EBoots. One day, my guild heads into Fear - our guild was the only guild that could break it and once we did, ppl would stay awake for days and days on end to farm it. Lead GM told our GL that it was being respawned. So we headed in to set up, and we got abused the hell out of for ruining these ppl's fun. My baby necro was one of them. All of 46. He verbally abused me, called me every name under the sun then told me I would never get those EBoots. They could have set up in a spot... we werent stopping them (on a blue server you can't anyway and there wasn't PNP back then). It was because the easy ride had gone.

From that day I have never twinked a newbie. I will give an item to someone my twink is grouping with if they are not a twink themselves. But even after all these years (yes pre-kurnak event) it still disappoints me. I did get a kick though because he ended up so disliked on the server, he server transed nekky, was hated there, then server transed nekky back again. No idea what happened to him after that. With hindsight, I prolly caused him to take ppl and equipment for granted, but I don't think I was responisible for him being trash.

Oh forgot to say - I do twink friends from other servers who want to have some PVP fun - but I never make them unkillable - same as my own twinks. No point in playing on a PVP server if you are unable to die - takes all the excitment out of the battles.

Baastet
December 26th, 2003, 05:43 AM
Like Rimedragona, I am an long time player, lowbie character, none of my characters ever made it past 35. I recently just returned to EQ after an 8 month hiatus. (yesterday in-fact ^_^)

Since I logged in yesterday, I have had people give me a couple of plat, quite a few Fine Steel Weapons and a nice shield. It was so nice of those people who took time out of thier hunting to notice a nekkid halfling and brighten her day. ^_^ I always appreciate anything given to me. If I am given something and I have out grown it, I used to pass it along to a newbie. Also, if I found a true newbie, I would take them in hand and help them out by showing them some quests and teaching them some basics. It was a wonderful feeling to know you have helped someone out and all those newbies I helped remained on my friends list till I quit. ^_^ I am going to do the same on this new server too.

Also, if anyone here is from Tarew Marr and wants to say hello... Please do so I would love to hear from a fellow /gu reader!! ^_^

Preza, 5th lvl Halfling Druid

Morniel
December 26th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Devon, what server are you on?

Chibikhoi
December 26th, 2003, 10:08 AM
haha... I gave a whole set of ry'gorr to a newbie , and he goes "what the crap is this? dood this stuff sux ass"

Lancetheavatar
December 27th, 2003, 11:40 PM
I have a friend in RL that plays, that I've admitedly twinked a little. Well..."Fine tuned" I should say...

Said friend started about the time I was doing random tradeskillings. So, at level 1 he had several items from tradeskil (silk armor, studded armor, a few forged weapons).

Now said friend is level 52 or so, and has helped me camp several mobs that would have been otherwise an afk camp (IE: Respawn 30 minutes *think Rogue Illusion mask...*) and made them go MUCH faster.

He also frequently finds little odds and ends that I need for tradeskills now.

*shrug* The true newbies normally pay you back in some way.

I can remember around level 16 and 20...spells were getting pricy. (They were pricy before then, come to think of it... :lol: ) I met a Wizard (Theadept: Sorry you left, maybe you still troll the boards) who promptly began to help me pay for spells.

"I really can't accept this..."
"Accept it or I follow you around and KS everything that moves."
"erm ok..." :shock:

I paid him back by doing odd summonings for him(DD bracelets, rings, etc), and by helping him with a few quests. *shrug*

Wolf
December 28th, 2003, 12:25 AM
I remember when i started a different game, Runescape HORIBLE GAME! And i was in this leather stuff. And in the game there are like 5 sets of armor. Leather, Copper, Iron, Black, Mithril, Adamanite. So i was starting and this guy gave me a full sat of Iron armor. It was the coolest thing ever and i thought i looked soooo cool.

But i remember when first starting thinking Netherbian Chitin was the coolest armor in the game, not bad stats for 15pp, so sometimes i buy like 10 and hand them out to newbs in kelethin and oguk and stuff.

The Unforgiving
December 28th, 2003, 07:25 AM
That was me, TheEmerged... I didn't finish replacing my last piece of newb gear until level 51.

<- lvl 55 enchanter still wearing Art Keeper Initiate Sleeves (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=13960) proudly! At lvl 51 I was still wearing a piece of cloth. /flex

I used to buff and give out free gear all the time with my druid. I would wonder into Crushbone and buff each of the camps. I didn't put /anon up, because the tells for sow weren't that bad... Then I made a chanter, got him past lvl 50, and decided to try the same thing... They call it "crack" for a reason... /shutter

Now I go in with /anon, illusion up, leather/chain/plate graphics, and /afk. Once the /ooc spam and/or tell spams start (even with /afk up, mind you), I run straight to the zone. I really wish I didn't have to go to such extremes to HELP people, but, theres some pretty damn greedy and self absorbed newbies/twinkies out there.

Then again, you can shout, "FREE CHANTER BUFFS AT NEWBIE LIFT", and 2 people will come by in 10 minutes. I stopped holding buff stations and switched to pure ninja buffing. Clarity has a HUGE casting range,(shameless self promotion:) and with the extended range (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=23069) Inny kindly donated to me recently, I can actualy avoid bieng seen buffing all together.

~Gues Swho: Da phantom phantasiminater!

Naelaen
December 28th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Runescape isn't a bad game considering it's free :)

Ninja buffing, that's almost as bad as ninja powerlevelling! :D

Houma
December 28th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Back in the olden Days, when there still was a Rogue only guild on Rodcet (we considered bards a while but then decided again lowering our standards *wink*) I was an officer (this is before guild leader) I used to give out quests to join my section of the guild (we had sooooo much fun). These quests involved getting your Backstab skill (lowbie guild), a bixie stinger, an orc pawn pelt and a giant snake tooth. For those that don't know... the GSN is a 5/27 peircer. I would slay giant snakes for them all the time and anytime a newbie caster or rogue ran by I'd just give it to them, with a /wink and a /grin and a /say Come back when you're ready for some fun. The bixie stinger and orc pawn pelt didn't really do anything than cut down on the orc pawn population of EC and summon the Griffen (*evil grin* We'd always have guild wars in EC, summon the griffen and then hide sneak our way to someplace high up to watch the mayhem).

Ahem, anyway, I would always give out things that I didn't really need to people who really deserved it. But then again I was a complete bastard with the free trading came around so it all balances out.

Sarius
December 28th, 2003, 05:11 PM
But i remember when first starting thinking Netherbian Chitin was the coolest armor in the game, not bad stats for 15pp, so sometimes i buy like 10 and hand them out to newbs in kelethin and oguk and stuff.

Sorry i havent read much of the thread (pretty long to catch up on)

But i got given this, i thought it was UBER :D i only replaced it at level, uhm,... 50 i believe, lol. I was so poor and slightly twinked by my friend when i started out, overtook him and ended up semi-twinking him (he is level 47, i WAS level 54 when my account got cancelled both same race/job)

Chittin = Uber armour :D

Sarius
December 28th, 2003, 05:16 PM
*sighs* EQ was good, for a time, now i got FF and all, but the memory's will stay, i remember once hunting in Downshroud Peaks as my enchanter, level 30 (i cant remember levels etc..) or so and someone was shouting they giving away NO DROP armour from the other zone, they said first one to shout yes please got them, I got the first shout, but someone stole the item from the corpse, the person said they would give me a tell if they dropped again and surely enough in 30 mins i ended up with a nice pair of:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=7159

Tigernach
December 28th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Ahhh the joys of helping truly new folks out in the game...

There I was, having just dinged level 45 (about 12 levels ago) and back in my home town of Shar Vahl to sell off a few trinkets. It was about 2 am, maybe 3 people in the zone.

Suddenly, in /ooc, I see "Woo-hoo! I made level two! Can anyone tell me how to save my game now so I don't lose it?"

Amused and astounded I shot him a quick tell... discovered he had started playing about 30 minutes before, had already died about 7 times LOL. I kindly helped him out with about an hour of show and tell and instruction... "Change your auto-attack key off A and to =.... ", "Hail all the NPC's and repeat back the words in {} to get quests"... I ran him through the Shar Vahl Citizen quest, whiped him up a few pieces of leather armor using tailoring, and gave him a serreted tooth off a Hopper I killed in Shadow Weaver's Thicket next door. To this day he still sends me tells on occasion... LOL mostly to show me the cool loot he gets as he is about 7 levels higher than I and in a raiding guild now.

After this fun experience, I have made a determined effort to do the same thing every time I ding now... go Out, hunt down a true newbie and give to them for an hour... not just a few low items.. but give the knowledge of the game that, given early this way, may place them on the path to being a GOOD player... and not a frustrated/irritating goober...

lionfire
December 28th, 2003, 09:46 PM
All this reminds me of my newbie experience. I remember the second day I was playing. My friend (who had been playing for a year or so) was having me auto follow him around to various areas to fight at low level, when out of the blue some lady warrior type came running up to me and said here ya go and gave me a full suit of bronze armor. Well we know that stuff is pretty common but for me it was awesome. It's armor.. and it's made of metal... O.O But yeah I used to hand out banded armor all the time to newbies in Freeport area, just because I'd rather have someone get some use out of it than sell it for the minimal plat.

Dr.Gonzo
January 30th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Im still laughing just thinking about it!
I was in kelethin as my enchanter doing jewelry crafting. Having read this thread sometime ago I though I may try to find an actualy newbie and give a few trinkets from my jewelry combines and buff him.
So, Im sitting there combining close to newbie hill, near the stones when I see a wood elf still wearing his leafy vest. So im thinking I found one, no armor no gear, except for the little wood club his belting a Wasp Drone with.
He dones his wasp and says /ooc this wasp is white, is that too tough?
He starts fighting it and starts losing, so definitely new, and no twink.
I get excited and start running over to help. He is hanging in there and as I aproach, he turns and runs. Im casting buffs on him waiting for him to notice, and the whole time his running around the hill doing /ooc A RED, A RED!!
Someone /ooc head to the gaurd
Im faollowing him trying to find whats on him besides the wasp and we make it to the guards. They finish off the wasp, and hes fine due to my Beserker Str spell I casted on him.
I /say Are you ok?, and continue to cast buffs on him.
He /say oh your a player, how did you pick that race?
Doh.... I had Boon of the Garou up for my combines and didnt even think about it or remember it.
I explain it to him give a couple of rings, earrings, and bracelets.
He /say Man you scared, my heart is still pounding!

After all this I'm laughing so hard as I a few buffs on him I had to med for, and before he leaves he returns the favor and casts Skin like Wood on me.
So yeah, there few but the newbies are still coming

Beastly
January 30th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Did something like this last night for a 30-ish ranger and her 2 friends(rogue and bard I *think*) I remember her because the other 2 were so quiet in group. :) Anyway, she obviously hadn't been playing too long but managed to make 30 just by playing with her other friends all the time. They all learned together what they could. :)

Well my warrior friend and I started a pickup group and end up getting up her and her 2 friends plus a druid from the warrior's guild. We were going for an LDoN and they tell us that they have no stone to port with(after we explain what it is). 30 minutes later we walked them through it and they have their stones. You want to see some excited people! "Wow we can PORT now!" and "We've finally got LDoN stuff!" Woot! Prohibited(our warrior) tosses her the leadership and I walk her through how to get an LDoN adventure. Happy happy joy joy! In we go!

So during the entire LDoN we are sending mad tells back and forth. "Set up a hotkey for it like this" "Here's how they do those macros for assist" "Yes you can do a macro to call heal/root/snare then /cast #" and so on. This was one happy ranger! She passed it all on to her friends afterwards(as it's easier to talk to one person at a time in tells as we all know :)).

Afterwards the warrior disbands to go play his cleric and the druid tells them to keep the split and goes on his way. Now these three were definitely newb-ish(these were NOT twinks) and since I was the ML I got to see their reactions as the other 2 had left group. :) I told them this was not a typical LDoN looting session, never to expect this from one and all that other happy horse pucky and slipped 2kpp in there. Yeah they picked up on it but by then I had disbanded leaving them with about 525pp each(wish I could split without including myself but oh well). :)

I do this a lot because I remember what it was like with my first character in the strange world of Norrath not 14 months ago. I had no clue what to do with my controls or how to even talk to people. LOL My dwarf warrior did an entire halfling warrior armor piece quest(bracers or something like that) and when it was time to equip I found that I couldn't! After much embarassment I found I had to do my own armor in my own hometown but now I knew how. hehe never forget that. Or the help and kindness of strangers. I spread what kindness I was given to others as often as possible. :)

Twyll Oathtaker
January 30th, 2004, 10:34 AM
After I moved to Erollisi Marr I got hooked up in this guild called Sons of Tao and had a better chance of handing out gear. One time I handed out some gear right off my back to a newbie, showed him around, ect. He had thanked me and said "I'll never forget this" I told him to pass it on to help someone else. A few months ago I get this tell from him thanking me for helping for helping him all that time ago. He asked me to meet him at the PoK bank. When I saw him, he handed me a 2 items. I thanked him and went on my way to the bazaar to look around and low and behold he had given me ornate patterns (I couldn't use) but I was like "wow!" I guess it pays to help out sometimes.