PDA

View Full Version : interesting upcoming updates...

Raven00x
December 23rd, 2003, 04:09 PM
http://eqlive.station.sony.com/updates/upcoming_updates.jsp

January and Beyond

Upcoming for January and February 2004

We want to wish everyone a happy holiday season and thank you for continuing to be a part of EverQuest. We have some exciting times ahead with our 7th expansion in the works, www.gatesofdiscord.com, and there are many more exciting things to come. Here are a few of the new features on the EQ team's large and busy schedule.

Melee Enhancement, part 2

Melee classes are currently enjoying the first part of the improved Melee system and the feedback we are receiving has been great. Early in 2004 we plan to move forward with the rest of the melee enhancement, the reaction abilities. The enhancement gives Monks, Rogues and Warriors the ability to use special skills in response to a mistake made by their opponent or an exceptional move of their own. This enhancement will be in addition to the existing system, allowing players to use the skills for more involved game-play and to improve the abilities of their characters.

A more detailed explanation and the transcript of a chat with the EQ Live team about the system can be found on the Developers Corner.

Graveyard Zone

Tired of losing your corpse? The current EQ system removes corpses from the game after a week to reduce clutter and potential video lag. But we know there are times when your character dies and you just can't get it right away. Next thing you know a day turns into a week and BAM! Your corpse is gone. Since we can't leave the corpses sitting in game indefinitely, some inventive folks here have come up with another option.

We plan to create a "graveyard" zone that will only work if your corpse has decayed and disappeared. If you have lost your corpse due to decay in other parts of Norrath, you will be allowed to enter this zone and reclaim it.

Tradeskill Interface Upgrade

Tired of all the clicking and dragging needed just to make a type 1 wood arrow? We know that the current tradeskill interface is cumbersome, so the UI guys have come up with some new ideas.

Opening a tradeskill container will now open a new user interface. In the window you will find an area that has all recipes that are currently available to you. This includes recipes that are at your skill level as well as some above it. Clicking on a recipe will display what items are necessary for its completion. Clicking the "combine" button will extract those required items from the player's inventory, and perform the recipe combine, placing the results on the player's cursor. The new system is nice and neat, with no dragging and dropping unless you want to try a combine that is way out of your league, which uses the old style of combination.

These are just a few of the things slated to come out of the EQ Live laboratory. Watch for other exciting announcements in the weeks ahead.

John Dyne
December 23rd, 2003, 04:12 PM
Oh lord, the people in SOE are saints in my eyes. Lists ALL of the recipes available to you at your level and a little bit above? That'd be great and horrible for EQ Traders.. great because they can finish every recipe listing, and horrible since they might not be as useful.

That's freakin' awesome. I'm going to go hibernate until that change is in now.

Raven00x
December 23rd, 2003, 04:18 PM
"early 2004" for the rest of the melee stuff. Personally, i'm champing at the bit, but i'm willing to wait a few more months to see them come out right. hell, my offensive and defensive discs are on seperate timers? that's good enough for me...for now.

Graveyard zone; on the one hand, it's needed because sometimes something happens in the Real World that we can't get to our corpses until after they decay. but do we really need a zone for everyone's decayed corpses? can't wait to see the corpses of the corpse artists get there...

Tradeskill streamlining: I'm happy about this one, as i like tradeskilling but loathe the carpal tunnel syndrom associated with it (make poison...220, maxed for level. about a jillion spirits of sloth made to get there :evil:) you have a menu of what you can make with your skill (so you know about stuff you didn't know you can make), and if you want to make something you don't nessecarily have the skill for, you can still give it a shot (like a ranger trying for a trueshot with 16 fletching skill)
But, on the other hand, i know a lot of tradeskillers will be unhappy because it kinda trivializes the sacrafices and time they already spent clicking to get up to 200+ skill. I'm going to file this under "make eq easier to get into and reduce the number fo repetitive stress syndrome suits" catagory.

well, that's my take on it. looks good to me

Foromir
December 23rd, 2003, 04:19 PM
bout time they make tradeskills less boreing. I might start tradeskillin when i get money agian. :P
I really hate tradeskillin...

DogEye
December 23rd, 2003, 04:19 PM
wow no more draging... clicking... clicking... draging? and it will disgaurd all of your cutural you can't use cause your not that race i bet... that is... TOO EASY! thank you eq... you finally heard my plea

Stormewolfe
December 23rd, 2003, 04:29 PM
My cleric will smith again!

My warrior also egarly awaits part 2 of enhancements. I've enjoyed what's happened so far.

Bisuketto
December 23rd, 2003, 05:12 PM
*cheer*

YAY no more broken mice or sore wrists.

I am really looking forward to the tradeskill thing.

Dark Tyger
December 23rd, 2003, 05:14 PM
*Squees and dances*

Yes, I squeed. What are you looking at? ><

I'm posatively thrilled about the tradeskill change. No more RSI!!!!

Tadashya
December 23rd, 2003, 05:18 PM
OMG It's finally happened!

*falls to the ground weeping with relief and delight*

Ya think Blizzards ribbing about the tradeskills was any factor at all? Subtlety of a brick to the head.. not so bad :D

Erling E.
December 23rd, 2003, 05:56 PM
I think this next melee update will be great. Finally some strategic thoughts to smaller battles. Now you actually affect it one way or the other. It'll become more engaging, I think.

As for the graveyard zone - great, more "easy ways to play EverQuest". I don't like it. I don't like teleporting stones, either. It's like EverQuest is becoming the MMORPG equivalent of fast food.

Dark Tyger
December 23rd, 2003, 07:06 PM
I don't see anything wrong with removing pointless tedium and frustration that added absolutely nothing to the game, but rather only detracted from it.

If something adds frustration to a game, but doesn't add anything posative to it, why leave it in?

Serresrelic
December 23rd, 2003, 07:11 PM
I agree.

I fail to see how the graveyard zone really makes Everquest that much easier, other than to remove a simple point of frustration.

It doesn't make leveling any easier, it doesn't let people progress without learning their classes, it doesn't do any of the over-used excuses of how Everquest has been ruined by becoming too easy.

Poofe 'n Evandril
December 23rd, 2003, 07:12 PM
I wonder how long bodies will stay in the new zone? Overall, I love the changes...This will mean I will actually try recipies that take more than 2-3 items :)

Negdaien
December 23rd, 2003, 07:33 PM
tradeskills? you mean those things that are notoriously boring, that take uber long times to master, and require patience? WOW! i can actually do them??? COOL!

Penguin (:>(O ):
December 23rd, 2003, 08:12 PM
eheee eee eeheee! NO MORE WINDOWS!!! But yeah i like the concept but hate that we gotta dish out another what 20 bucks for it.

darkpaw
December 23rd, 2003, 08:18 PM
I just got a +15% smithing hammer last night and will be working on GM'n smithing soon. This is great news for my wrist.

Morniel
December 24th, 2003, 08:17 AM
i know a lot of tradeskillers will be unhappy because it kinda trivializes the sacrafices and time they already spent clicking to get up to 200+ skill.

Eh... in my opinion, if there are tradeskillers complaining about this change, it's nothing but sour grapes. 'I suffered, so you must suffer!!'

Admittedly I felt a little of that when they added in patty melts and trivialized the fact that I had farmed and foraged my way to 190+ baking on two characters, but I got over it pretty quickly.

Personally I think it's a great change, even though I went through enough dragging and clicking to get 6 skills to 250 (>curses smithing, only 228!<)

I just wish they had added it in back when I was doing mino hero brews.... >shudders<

Nulien
December 24th, 2003, 09:24 AM
I hope they make that tradeskill change soon... I'm tired of making arrows, and Endless Quiver seems so far away...

rimedragona
December 26th, 2003, 12:58 AM
^_^ I don't have a lot to add, but *cheer* These changes sound great!

Gnomish
December 26th, 2003, 01:20 AM
YAY!!! i might just dust off Celebiel's sewing kit and work on her tailoring then... ^__^ i hate dragging, and stuff, and since i have 4 characters that Fletch, this will be great!!!

Poofe 'n Evandril
December 26th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Was JUST thinking of working on poisonmaking, as well... How long do I have to wait for this to go live?? ;)

Erling E.
December 26th, 2003, 03:34 AM
I don't see anything wrong with removing pointless tedium and frustration that added absolutely nothing to the game, but rather only detracted from it.

If something adds frustration to a game, but doesn't add anything posative to it, why leave it in?

Because, in my world, they would have made it more interesting instead of removing it. I don't believe that a game has to be constantly progressing to be fun. You don't need to whack monsters every minute of it. That's not a role-playing game.

Perhaps their technology is too limited, but imagine if they had added sea monsters to fight during the journey, pirates that sometimes boarded the ship, or sudden storms that would throw players around on deck? It would be fun! It would feel like you made a journey. That's whats fantasy worlds is about.

There is nothing tedius about it.

Naelaen
December 26th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Heh, I think they just removed the journey with PoP Erling :)

Perhaps SOE is just worried about all the claims for compensation for RSI due to tradeskills in EverQuest. I can't wait, it's a pain in the arse dragging all those pieces from one bag, to a container, to the combine button then to the auto-equip. I remember almost jumping for joy when I discovered (back in my newbie days) that ctrl clicking picks up only one of a stacked item. Tradeskills are still going to take time and money to progress, but automatic combining is something that's been on the wishlists of many (or being able to combine whole stacks at once ;)). I just hope it has a repeat last combine button :)

Erling E.
December 26th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Exactly Naelean.

What makes me happy though, is that they have included sea travel in EverQuest 2 (as far as I can tell). Seriously, what always attracted me about EverQuest was the fact that I could sit on the docks, ultimately seeing this fine vessel coming in. It really gave me that epic feeling.

Still, when I log into EverQuest, I just love making my way to East Freeport to sit on the dock and watching the sun go down and the ship come in. I've actually sailed on that ship many times just for the fun of it, instead of doing the teleports.

I hope EverQuest 2 really makes sea travel an exciting event. Huge waves, pirates, sea monsters and perhaps an occasional sinking! It would be incredibly amusing. For instance, on each ride, there would be a very small chance of the ship sinking.

If it did, you would have to swim to a nearby island where more adventure awaited. Now, the ship would only go by the island times it would sink, so people would actually find it interesting when it ocurred. A special event of some sort.

Poofe 'n Evandril
December 26th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Problem with 'adventures' on board a ship...Before porters, you'd have the entire level range on a ship. What'd challenge a 50 would first wipe out every newbie without blinking. Tis the problem they had with the 'fighting' GM events... Either make 'em high end only, or they were over in seconds as the 'uber' folks swarmed them.

Naelaen
December 26th, 2003, 08:14 AM
If they could incorporate the code that generates the mob levels for LDoN into EQ2, they could generate mobs for the travellers, but players that are too low are protected. In the case of pirates, they wouldn't constitute a threat and wouldn't be worth robbing and hence wouldn't aggro onto the players that are too low, unless attacked of course.

As for the ship sinking, whilst people will say "yeah that's cool" they won't be after they have to retrieve their corpse from the middle of the ocean.

Erling E.
December 26th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Poofe 'n Evandril, the solution is simple. It wouldn't be a regular spawn. Not a leveled monster.

The developers would just add a special encounter which both high level players and low level players could attack. The monster would do different types of damage to the monster itself, and vice versa. That way, it would be challenging to everyone on board.

Another obvious solution would be to add a non-fighting monster. A more dynamic creature which perhaps tried to sling it's arms around adventurers to pull them into the depths below, and so the players would have to run around the ship to avoid it's arms until someone managed to cut them off.

The possibilities are endless!

KiTA
December 26th, 2003, 10:37 AM
We plan to create a "graveyard" zone that will only work if your corpse has decayed and disappeared. If you have lost your corpse due to decay in other parts of Norrath, you will be allowed to enter this zone and reclaim it.

I like this idea. I think it'd be funnier if it was populated with random dead newbie ghosts running around trying to kill you. ;)

Opening a tradeskill container will now open a new user interface. In the window you will find an area that has all recipes that are currently available to you. This includes recipes that are at your skill level as well as some above it. Clicking on a recipe will display what items are necessary for its completion. Clicking the "combine" button will extract those required items from the player's inventory, and perform the recipe combine, placing the results on the player's cursor. The new system is nice and neat, with no dragging and dropping unless you want to try a combine that is way out of your league, which uses the old style of combination.

Well, why not? They stole DAoC's combat system and added it to EQ, why not go back for DAoC's crafting system too? ;)

In all seriousness though, it does sound nice. I love tradeskilling, and was overjoyed when I discovered the ctrl-click trick in EQ for crafting. Streamlining the process will make it even easier -- heck, maybe I can even get it down to one button press, and then all I'll need is one of those drinking birds to hit the mouse over and over again to skillup. :)

Zorathenne
December 27th, 2003, 12:45 AM
Oooooh...

Oh.. Oh my... I seem to be getting this.. *urge* to start playing EQ more now..

Dark Tyger
December 27th, 2003, 01:23 AM
*bonks KiTa* Nevermind the fact that DAOC stole liberally from EQ, too...

Erling E.
December 27th, 2003, 07:10 AM
In what ways Dark Tyger?

Poofe 'n Evandril
December 27th, 2003, 09:28 AM
I want to see them steal the 'follow NPC' from DAoC/SWG!

KiTA
December 27th, 2003, 10:18 AM
In what ways Dark Tyger?

The obvious ones are "It's 3d" and "it's fantasy". I mean, how much clearer cut than that can you get. ;)

But friendly teasing aside... DAoC uses an EQ style con system (although they also put +s and -s in around the creature's name for colorblind players -- which is a major nifty point for them, btw). Their interface is quite a bit different but IIRC the key commands are very much similar to EQ's.

The rebuttal is that, well, how else *would* you handle a con system if not similar to EQ's, and how else would you handle movement and other keyboard input in a 3d MMORPG if not that way? @.@

Personally, I like AC's "con system". You can hit E and look at any monster, to get it's level and if you're close enough basic stats (HP, MP, etc). However, you have no real clue just how hard it is to fight until you run up and try to bash it's skull in. You'll know pretty quickly after that -- cause it'll either mangle you or you'll win. (Or somewhere in between.)

Erling E.
December 27th, 2003, 11:31 AM
It's also about doing what people is familiar with. The con system is very simple and elegant. It's like the wheel. You don't create a new wheel just to be different. You use the same wheel to let people play with what they are familiar with.

Personally, I don't like how clear cut the con systems of DAoC and EQ is. I don't like levels either, but thats another story. I'd rather see a "You could perhaps kill this creature", and still have a chance if it was 5 levels away from me. Too many games restricts you to fight only creatures at your level or extremely close.

But such is the ways of a statistic based game.

Naelaen
December 27th, 2003, 11:44 AM
I think the bottom line is developers always steal ideas from other developers and ideas are stolen from them. It's the nature of development and as such we shouldn't start the "EQ nicked this that and the other from DoaC" and visa versa.

I think the con system works well. You take on things that you are able to beat, if you were able to beat things above your level, what's the point? All it means is that you should be at a higher level.

Erling E.
December 27th, 2003, 05:56 PM
You misunderstand me. No, of course you shouldn't be able to kill something twenty levels above you, but I think that in most MMORPGs, the system is too tight.

In a real situation, that inexperienced little man might have managed to score a real hit on that giant whose terrorising his family. I don't like how players are divided into level groups. It's segregation at it's worst.

ancarett
December 27th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Well, call me a heretic, but the graveyard system could be done away with if you simply respawned with all your stuff on you and the only thing that was left on your body was xp (for rez) and gold (for penalty/PK). But, hey, it's a bonus for players, so good on ya, SOE!

And, yes, the new tradeskill system sounds a lot like DAoC -- good either way though, I must point out, you are still likely to get sore wrists in pursuit of grandmaster levels. Buying tradeskill items, hitting keys. . . it all still adds up to wear and tear on the mouse hand/wrist.

Iiliani Seadream
December 29th, 2003, 05:31 AM
I agree, Ancarett, I have often thought that re-spawning with all your items would be best, in case of accidental decay of corpse.
The only reason to go get your corpse would be if you wanted the lost xp back.
After all, the place where it is killed you when you were fully armed and clothed, and now you have to go back to that place completely naked?