PDA

View Full Version : GM Events?

Jishia
December 27th, 2003, 06:45 PM
In Everquest under Verant Interactive it seemed that GMs hosted a GM event every day, but it seems GMs had run out of ideas and when Sony took over the show GM events were scarce, then only came about with special holiday events, and atleast on Druzzil Ro there seemed to be no sign of a Christmas Event this Year.

I believe that there needs to be a sect of GMs per server just running amok, something to keep people busy like a Hill Giant sized Bixie terrorizing the Misty Thicket. :roll:

Then again as I see it, the reason GM events have been so disparent is the constant flocking of those who do not want to enjoy the Event but rather destroy it utterlly rather it benefits them or not.

rimedragona
December 27th, 2003, 08:55 PM
I'd like to see more GM events, if only to spectate, since most of the time, I'm too young to do anything. Halloween this year I had to hightail my character out of WC when I logged in. ^_^

SymbioteVIII
December 28th, 2003, 09:45 AM
I have noticed as well that there seems to not only be a severe shortage of GM events, but that when they do come along, they are aimed only at te highest level characters. the last one i can remember was in the lake rathe arena. they sent a message over the entire server about it, and when my group showed up (we were about to enter a LDON and decided to try this isntead) there were already almost 500 people there. and out of those five hundred, they chose 6 groups...THIRTY SIX PEOPLE...who would be able to participate. none of the participants i /who'd were under level 65, and at least one group of them were in afterlife.

it just seems to me that if they are going to HAVE gm events, they should make them so that the participants aren't limited to the 1% of the EQ population who are level 65 and in the leading uber guilds on the server.

Naelaen
December 28th, 2003, 09:52 AM
As has been stated before, the difficulty in doing GM events is you either aim them at the high levels, or risk higher levels ruining the event for the lower players.

Now if they could make it so the higher levels couldn't touch the mobs the lower levels are trying to kill, then we'd get somewhere :)

rimedragona
December 28th, 2003, 01:18 PM
now that's an idea I could get behind.... ^_^

Radical Edward
December 28th, 2003, 02:05 PM
I'd like to see more GM events that arn't just spawning a swarm a monsters 20+ levels higher then anything else in the zone.

Jishia
December 28th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Heh, have Giant Rats and Bixies assault newbie zones, what have you, and simply whether you assist them or kill them it should drop a Death Touch on every Uber whom believes he can distrupt the event progression.

Saethori
December 28th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Heh, have Giant Rats and Bixies assault newbie zones, what have you, and simply whether you assist them or kill them it should drop a Death Touch on every Uber whom believes he can distrupt the event progression.

Or simply poof them, like how Naggy/Vox do when a 53+ is on their 'aggro list'..

Therefore, they should teleport anyone 20 or higher to..I'm thinking Plane of Fear (even if they're not 46 yet...bwahaha).

Requiem_Aristade
December 28th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Yeah last GM event I went to was about a year ago on Halloween... miserable experience when ya usin a level 40 alt... and there are tons of 65 guys runnin around KS'n everything in sight... for gear they wouldnt even use on one of their alts

PS... that Plane of Fear thing aint funny... I ventured in there once on accident with my ranger... a long time ago... never did get that corpse back

Sarius
December 28th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Now if they could make it so the higher levels couldn't touch the mobs the lower levels are trying to kill, then we'd get somewhere :)

Well, On Final Fantasy at the moment there are "Last Years" Christmas tree's on the loose (called Twinkling Treants) in the nooby zones, and if you want to fight it, you must have a level cap cast on you buy the moogle which restricts you to level 20. This means none of the uber japs can just finish it off quickly and that anyone of all levels can help. The tree in each area is only there until its death and when all are defeated the entire server shares the reward. Very thought out by PoL if you ask me.

Tenolein
December 28th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Then again as I see it, the reason GM events have been so disparent is the constant flocking of those who do not want to enjoy the Event but rather destroy it utterlly rather it benefits them or not.

That's why they are GM's. They have the power to do ALMOST whatever they want to people that try to destroy it. Hell, that's what I'd do.

hXc_thugg
December 28th, 2003, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I was at a GM even in the Karanas a long time ago where the GMs had Bristlebane and such. Naturally, the big tough darkies tried to kill him but the GMs would just strike them down, or summon them away. GMs have a lot of control.

lionfire
December 28th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Speaking of GM Events. Did any of you FFXI players see the (nfragable) Twinkling Treant? A treant with christmas lights.. funniest and deadliest thing I've seen in the game. haha Was pretty cool that they let you talk to a moogle and make it so if you got killed by it you didn't loose any experience. It was also fun watching bodies fly everywhere and the legions of players who showed up to lay the smack down.. or atleast try to. I always was wondering what would happen if you used the axe they use for logging on it... Too bad I couldn't synthesize a Chainsaw of Reaming. :D

rillaith
December 29th, 2003, 03:18 AM
Now if they could make it so the higher levels couldn't touch the mobs the lower levels are trying to kill, then we'd get somewhere

Um, they can and do... they used to have it so anyone more than about 5 levels above the "actors" couldn't touch em (variable depending on what / where / target level range) - which was good because it forced roleplay / banter from the folks who were too high, which was a lot more fun to watch ;) They used to do a mix of events for high low and mid level players... but it's been a long long time since I saw one (apart from a single one this weekend which apparently turned out to be a bit of a flop)

Sadly the last one I was involved in the GMs/guides didn't play fair... I was a rogue on my own, unbuffed, and they HTed me repeatedly (like every few seconds).... really NOT on. It wasn't like I had a snowflake's chance in bermuda of soloing a single one of them even without there being 3 beating on me! Then they went and killed me when I managed to get back to the zone to loot my corpse, even though I have SOS and was naked and hidden and trying to get my corpse away from where they were - and didn't bother with CS rezzes afterwards like they usually do after events. I ended up writing to the server gm about that one :/

Saethori
December 29th, 2003, 03:31 AM
Strangely enough, a disco ball of death rays that works on people of too high a level seems more...entertaining than they simply not being able to attack the mob in question, now that I think about it. But I'd still like to teleport the 'uberer-than-thou' type who are only doing the event to keep the prizes away from others to be teleported to (and bound at) Plane of Fear right near Cazic.

What you described, Rilliath, really proves a huge point towards the topic of this thread.. what few GM events actually occur are really pathetic.

Tigernach
December 29th, 2003, 03:45 AM
Popping to Fear right next to Cazic seems a bit... rough..

LOL but shooting them straight to PoK? Absolutly. Of course, the reason everyone and their sister flocks to GM events when they happen is that they happen so rarely....

Perhaps if they were a bit more than, as a previous poster said; "releasing a horde of Mobs", but was instead a quest type event.. a scavenger hunt perhaps... clues and riddle to figure out, leading to another GM or helper with further clues and riddles leading to another... this style event might stop cold the griefer type players that just show up to bash and loot...

Laston
December 29th, 2003, 04:43 AM
there have been a event witch actually started from the start, it involved everything from feeding a wounded badger (think it was badger ;) ) to retaking a town that got overrun with monsters to all three realms sieging a keep! itīs amazing how people can solve those.

Garolf Ironaxe
December 29th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Oddly enough, most of the events I remember weren't hosted by GMs. They were done by players.

There was an enchanter on my server in a big name guild (Legendary for Tribunal go-ers) who used to host mini-games. He would run around at blinding speed (bard alt ;)) dropping items with mobs of people behind him. We'd play catch the frog where we'd have to hail him somewhere in PoK while he was in frog form too.

Stuff like that just doesn happen much anymore. If there isn't a multi-thousand plat reward or a Transparent Sword of Ethereal Ass Kicking +5 in it for them, people wont respond. Very few people will do things for the story.

laertise
December 29th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Iv'e never been to a GM event before so I really have nothing to contribute to the thread except right after LDoN came out I was with some of my guildies starting a group to do an adventure. At the point in time we were all above lvl 60. When the lvl 65 shaman says to the group theres a GM sending me tells. Turns out the GM was looking for a group of lvl 65's who were elemental flagged and was asking if our group was flagged elemental. No idea what kind of surprise we would have gotten had we been. But I think its the closest thing to a GM event Iv'e been to.

Laertise

Kelori
December 29th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Yes, when a event or quest is run there is a level limit of who can participate. I think there is even a low end cap to keep little ones from getting in over their heads. But I do know for a fact that if you are too high for the event you can not harm the actors/mobs in any ways. And if you try to disrupt the event.. You will get a refresher of what your desktop looks like *evil grin*