PDA

View Full Version : Computer fixin'... it hates my vid card...

Saethori
December 28th, 2003, 01:59 AM
In the interests of being able to run games better, I did a video card upgrade, and replaced my old 'nVidia Riva TNT2 Model 64' (16MB) with a 'nVidia GeForce2 MX 400' (64MB).

The new card runs perfectly... except on the computer it was meant for. Instead, when it's installed on that computer, then whenever Windows boots up with that card it goes crazy. In the middle of the splash-screen, after it's loaded all the drivers (when doing a step-by-step confirmation, it's right after msmouse.vxd, which I think is the last..) then the computer starts displaying random colors over the palette (making it look somewhat psychadelic), then reboots. If in confirmation mode, it instead locks up.

After looking for information, I eventually heard that the motherboard may be at fault. So I upgraded its BIOS, but to no avail.

The Motherboard is an Intel D850GB. It's currently running a Pentium 4, and Windows 98 SE.

Browsing Intel tech-support didn't help... and nVidia seems to have no tech support to speak of whatsoever.

Whether by replying to this topic, sending me a PM, or even sending a full e-mail, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm close to my wit's end.

KyrosKrane
December 28th, 2003, 05:38 AM
My first guess is a driver issue. Your motherboard is a fairly recent model, about the same generation as the video card. Windows 98 in general is a mess, but if upgrading isn't an option, well, it will do.

Here's what I would try to fix the situation. First, try booting the computer in safe mode. (You can get that from the same menu as the step-by-step confirmation.) If it boots, great. If not, plug your old video card back in and try to boot normally.

Either way, once you get back into Windows, uninstall the drivers for your old video card. To do this, first check the add/remove programs control panel. If you see it, uninstall from there.

If you don't see your video card driver listed, cancel out of there and close all open windows. Right click on the desktop and choose properties to bring up the display control panel. Switch to the settings tab, and click the Advanced button. (I'm trying to do this from memory, as I haven't used Windows 98 in over a year.) Switch to the Adapter tab; there should be a button there that says Properties or Reinstall driver or some such. I forget the details, but you should be able to install a driver from one of the options there. When prompted, tell it you do NOT want it to detect your hardware; instead, tell it you want to choose from a list. When you get the list, select either Microsoft or "default" from the company list, then choose SVGA driver. Feed it the Windows 98 CD if it asks for it, and allow it to restart.

Either way, you should now be using the default video driver. If you install the new card now and boot up your PC, it should load normally. Find the Drivers link on nVidia's site and download the latest driver from there. Install it, and you should be good to go.

Saethori
December 28th, 2003, 04:32 PM
I've looked into that already...

Safe mode loads fine. Therefore, the problem is being caused by something that's loaded up in 'normal' Windows.

Upgrading 98 is not an option currently..

I've been able to uninstall the video card just fine, through Safe Mode.

If I delete the nVidia drivers, and force it to use default drivers, then I'm stuck with 640x480x16 mode... which somewhat defeats the purpose.

Thanks for your suggestion though..

KyrosKrane
December 29th, 2003, 02:08 AM
If I delete the nVidia drivers, and force it to use default drivers, then I'm stuck with 640x480x16 mode... which somewhat defeats the purpose.

My point is that the Riva TNT line uses different drivers from the later models nVidia released. The drivers are similar, but not identical. By booting into safe mode and completely removing the old drivers, you clean out the junk, so to speak. Then, you download the new (correct) drivers and install those cleanly. You only need to endure the (admittedly pitiful) 640x480x16 color mode long enough to download the newest drivers.

Saethori
December 29th, 2003, 03:06 AM
Ooh, I think I get what you're saying now. I'll give that a shot, and edit this once I do.

Satsujinken
December 29th, 2003, 01:41 PM
KyrosKrane is dead on. That really sounds like a Video Driver issue there. Completely remove the current driver, go out to their website and yank down the new one, hopfully it will work for you.

Kudane
December 29th, 2003, 02:33 PM
www.guru3d.com has a tool to remove all previous version of Nvidia Drivers.. (detonator destroyer).

Also can get the most recent WHQL certified and Beta drivers for your card there..

(I use the 52.70 drivers, and have seen a huge improvement)

Saethori
December 29th, 2003, 06:24 PM
Bleh, skip the edit part, I wasn't expecting more people to post. -.-

Deleting all the drivers manually (for some reason 'uninstalling' them doesn't work) helped.

I suppose it would have been less complicated if the GeForce and TNT2 didn't use the same drivers.

But regardless, the computer works now. Thanks all of you for your support. (but especially KyrosKrane... ^^)

KyrosKrane
December 30th, 2003, 02:32 AM
Glad it worked out for you. =)