PDA

View Full Version : Too damn cute! (12/2)

Woody
December 2nd, 2003, 01:30 AM
Okay, you Final Fantasy XI (http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml) folks can leave me alone now. I've drawn something from IN THE GAME.

Apparently the extreme cute-osity of a Tartaru (http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/citizen/) /panic -ing cripples the will of the strongest gamer. And the runts... er...wee folk get asked the following quite a bit:
"Can you /panic for me?"
"Hey cute little guy; do /panic!"

Ahhh but there are criminal masterminds lurking behind those pumpkin heads and button noses. Now the Tarutaru players are using the emote to their advantage.

Entire cities quake and rumble, gold spills from purses, and food is harvested by the Chocobo (http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/citizen/04.html) load... just to see the /panic again.

Well, that might be taking it a bit far, but I'm sure you get the idea.

All I need now is for someone to capture a video of the emote and link us so we who don't PLAY FFXI can actually see it.

Ciarin
December 2nd, 2003, 01:31 AM
/smile

Zeal
December 2nd, 2003, 01:37 AM
puzzled...but I'll talk to my friend and get him to /panic for me...

Saethori
December 2nd, 2003, 01:43 AM
Now none can say you never did a FFXI comic.

I will very seriously have to see this once (if) I get the game.

Grimlok
December 2nd, 2003, 01:51 AM
You got the too damn cute part right. They're so cute it's almost irritating. I've never seen one do /panic. I'll have to ask around now just to see what it is.

Nosferatu
December 2nd, 2003, 02:05 AM
I have zero interest in FFXI - but my curiousity has been peaked by this /panic. It's one of my favorite EQ emotes, even though the avatar doesn't do anything.

I would greatly like to see a video capture of it so I can gush like a little child. *grin* (that's serious)

Ivaar Forkbeard
December 2nd, 2003, 02:32 AM
Tartaru when dressed up in splint mail are so cute and strange looking that they are both quite irritating and hillarious. That's part of what drove me away from that game while betaing it. I like some of the ideas and such in the game but some conventions used therein make it almost unenjoyable for me. That game has a lot of grinding to it and not as much of the stereotypical FF storyline as one would hope for.

Anyway great stuff Woody man

Devis
December 2nd, 2003, 02:40 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb, considering I don't play the game, and guess that it has something to do with the little buggers flailing their arms in a comical fashion. Now, that would be .. uh, .. cute.

Ciarin
December 2nd, 2003, 02:43 AM
haha!!!

I was just thinking it'd be cute if when they did the /panic thing, that the theme from the dancing hamsters (http://hamsterdance.com) would play!!

teehee

DaMrac
December 2nd, 2003, 02:43 AM
OMG!! err damn!! haha good one woody, your very first FFXI comic, very nice! Now please.

edit: yea id like to see one of thos things doing /panic

Soulcollector
December 2nd, 2003, 02:44 AM
Misa like... misa like very much... never played the game though but I got the idea as soon as I read the comic
;) nice one

Grimlok
December 2nd, 2003, 02:51 AM
Ciarin that avatar makes me want to look at my Heavy Metal and Luis Royo calendars. But i can't find em. :cry:

Ciarin
December 2nd, 2003, 03:01 AM
LOLIMM

so, buy new ones.....

Acabar
December 2nd, 2003, 04:00 AM
Being a Tarutaru, this comic made me laugh. And its so true. I've had random people stop and come up to me in game, and just tell me how they can't believe how cute I am. Of course, I then spit off a couple of adorable emotes and thank them for the compliment.

Soon, we Tarutarus shall be able to control the world!

Realmreaver
December 2nd, 2003, 04:18 AM
you know what really sucks is all the best mages are Tarutaru. How the heck you are to play a powerful black mage so cute?

TaryTaru: I am a balck mage! all fear me or die!!!!

others: Aww an't he cute! you are such a cute widdle thing!

TT: I am a black mage.... you are supposed to fear me.....

Others: He's so cute an't he so cute?

TT: Damnit.

That is the one real problem you cannot be powerful and NOT cute at the same time.

Necrosaro
December 2nd, 2003, 04:41 AM
Hehe funny. I get asked to do /panic at least once a day. I should start asking for stuff to do it.

Enchanter
December 2nd, 2003, 05:46 AM
survey says: Too damn cute!

Sentack
December 2nd, 2003, 06:07 AM
Realmreaver has my quote for the day, "That is the one real problem you cannot be powerful and NOT cute at the same time." That's pretty damn funny. Specialy your little story there. One has to admit though, people sure do love playing an ultra powerfull evil dark mage-ish bad ars guy. All dark and gothic looking, etc. But if your bad ars dark mage (Black mage, I know) is too cute to be taken seriously, then that could be very frustrating to a large player base. And to a degree, I find that really funny and give 2 points to SquareEpix for doing that.

I still won't play the game though.

Sentack

Bisuketto
December 2nd, 2003, 06:43 AM
I have seen the power of /panic. I fear that the world shall be overrun by Tarutaru.

Kat
December 2nd, 2003, 06:54 AM
CUTE!

I'll have to see the animation for that. I'll be at a friend's house tonight and he plays FFIX.

Drawn very well Woody.

Lalladil
December 2nd, 2003, 07:09 AM
Heh, I admit that I don't really get it.
Still, that a cute...umm...what is it? I have never played any of the FF games.

What? Why are you all looking at me like that?
I play EQ and that's pretty much it.
:) Anyhoo, another great comic, Woody! /applause

Coffee
December 2nd, 2003, 07:16 AM
It wasn't the first FF11 comic though... just the first one from within the game. http://www.gucomics.com/archives/view.php?cdate=20031104

And yes, I too would like to see this animation.

Ciarin
December 2nd, 2003, 07:20 AM
I think Gurney has the archives memorized.....

Naelaen
December 2nd, 2003, 07:37 AM
You mean you don't? :wink:

Kat
December 2nd, 2003, 07:38 AM
Woody said it was the first from In Game.

/tickle Gurney-Coffee

Euphem
December 2nd, 2003, 08:39 AM
Taru Taru are EVIL!

Nothing can be that cute without being evil...

And the /panic emote proves it!

Keemo
December 2nd, 2003, 08:44 AM
If my magic won't kill you, my cuteness certainly will :twisted: .

If I knew how to capture the emote for ya I'd do it, but it's one of those things that I have no clue as to how to do.

Keemo

TeKsT
December 2nd, 2003, 08:48 AM
hehe the Taru Taru are the most evil race in all Vana'diel With our cuteness powers we shall rull the world!!! Mwuahhahaha

Btw here is pic i put together of the panic emotion.

Panic - 600kb+ (http://www.subterfuged.org:83/panic.gif)

Ciarin
December 2nd, 2003, 08:49 AM
they don't work

TeKsT
December 2nd, 2003, 08:50 AM
Sorry had an r out of place just fixed them...:P

Ciarin
December 2nd, 2003, 08:56 AM
cute

TeKsT
December 2nd, 2003, 08:57 AM
yea i suppose, Although you really have to see it in game to really get the full cuteness power of it ^^

Sarius
December 2nd, 2003, 09:01 AM
This comic was SO true, im always asking Keemo in game to /panic every time i see him

DogEye
December 2nd, 2003, 09:01 AM
I um... still say the Taru Taru look like lego dudes ... and um yeah, they ARE way too cute... *nods*

Satarus
December 2nd, 2003, 09:27 AM
I dunno, but those ultra "chibi" races just annoy me. Its like they are marketing to 8 year olds.

Coffee
December 2nd, 2003, 09:29 AM
Sat...it's Final Fantasy. From the same folks that brought you 30 seconds of flying around in cool poses before doing one sword slice-style combat.

Naelaen
December 2nd, 2003, 10:39 AM
Sat...it's Final Fantasy. From the same folks that brought you 30 seconds of flying around in cool poses before doing one sword slice-style combat.

:lol: Awesome description hehehe :)

Raxtull
December 2nd, 2003, 10:39 AM
As a Taru myself, it gets annoying having people always asking for the damn /panic. We have other good emotes as well, why does it always have to be the /panic?

Tadashya
December 2nd, 2003, 10:46 AM
honestly I keep looking for the stitching on the little guys.. they look like they should be made of felt and buttons :) No offense to those playing them, of course. :P

Quartz
December 2nd, 2003, 10:52 AM

Still love the Weebl & Bob FF7 spoof where the Mega Attack is called and a beam of light shoots up, widens, encircles the Moon, drags it screaming and flaming towards the Earth and pulls it down on top of the monster with an almighty crash.

Monster goes '-7 HP'

:lol:

Kat
December 2nd, 2003, 11:11 AM
honestly I keep looking for the stitching on the little guys.. they look like they should be made of felt and buttons :) No offense to those playing them, of course. :P

I saw some one fighting goblins in FFXI - they REALLY look like they are stitched together.

Woody
December 2nd, 2003, 11:12 AM
Ahh... now, having seen the panic animations... I realize that it's the fear of being eaten.

Tarutaru are made out (http://www.marzipanworld.com/acatalog/Marzipan_World_Marzipan_Animals_60.html) of marzipan (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=marzipan).

TeKsT
December 2nd, 2003, 11:14 AM
hahaha, Yes, the fear of bieng eatin will drive any Taru to panic hysterics :P

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 2nd, 2003, 11:27 AM
how do you do a video capture? Does it require special software?

Tadashya
December 2nd, 2003, 11:33 AM
I used to make marzipan animals

no, seriously!

TeKsT
December 2nd, 2003, 11:33 AM
Video Capture? like how the guy moves? Oh i did /panic and hit the [ button real fast during the emotion and then put the screenshots together in Adobe Image ready...

Woody
December 2nd, 2003, 11:41 AM
Rhia, yeah, I was hoping for a video capture. And yes, it would indeed require software, and hardware usually.

But TeKsT's way was definately effective. And, weighed a LOT less to be sure.

--

I installed a TV Tuner in my computer (Yes, my 19inch flat screen monitor is also my television.) that is also supposed to act as a video capture card, but I haven't really tried it out yet to capture video from in game (EQ).

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 2nd, 2003, 12:48 PM
I found a demo for some video capture software. I'll try it when I get home, and post it if it works

Woody! For shame! You got me and Vel confused! That's okay though, I can't think of a better person to be confused with *grin*

Gnomish
December 2nd, 2003, 12:49 PM
WAAAHHH!!! CUTE!!!! too bad I cant get to see this cute /panic.... oh well..

EDIT: too bad I can't spell can't either....

Woody
December 2nd, 2003, 01:00 PM
That's what happens when I trust myself to remember who I'm replying to after reading through all the posts.

The problem has been corrected.

Catila Amano
December 2nd, 2003, 01:06 PM
I haven't tried it, yet, but someone on another forum suggested www.fraps.com for video capturing. They have a demo, too. Is that the same one as you were going to mention, Rhia?

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 2nd, 2003, 01:07 PM
Hehe np, Velenka is a good person to be confused with :)

And Cat, that's it. From the sounds of it, it looks like it is pretty easy to use. We shall see when I get home.

ykkir
December 2nd, 2003, 01:12 PM
Tatutarus are pretty bad, but to get the full effect of just how sickening and evil it is, G4TV has a show called portal which had a tarutaru character singing a song which would drive anyone absolutely insane, it had me pondering the state of madness that the designer of the tarutaru had to be in to create such a thing

Gandel_levant
December 2nd, 2003, 01:48 PM
I used to be a Tarutaru, ended up dropping it because of lack of hp,
however they were fun to play just because the cuteness. I got asked atleast four times a day to do the /panic emote, (Makes your character do a funky dance lol) also they look neat in armor, in lizard armor they look like a football because you can only see the helmet really :p

Velenka
December 2nd, 2003, 02:11 PM
Aww, thanks Rhia :)

Marzipan, LOL...I met a new guildy last night, a little Tarutaru named Nefarious. I couldn't help myself, I cornered him and made him /panic. If only I had known he was made from marzipan!

Soria
December 2nd, 2003, 03:01 PM
lol Poor little tarutaru black mages, that would be awful. Just a fought though, black mages in Final Fanasty's series are kinda...getting picked on.

[spoiler:204f653b2a]I haven't played the game yet, but a friend of mine told me of this about FFX-2...They made Lulu pregnant! Am I the only one whoes mind boggles at this? At the thought of a pregnant black mage?! :: shudders:: I feel sorry for Wakka[/spoiler:204f653b2a]

Anyhow, great comic Woody, as always. Them Tarutaru things just illegally cute.

Denial
December 2nd, 2003, 03:11 PM
That is the one real problem you cannot be powerful and NOT cute at the same time.

Heard of Nibbler on Futurama? ;)

Kaylen
December 2nd, 2003, 03:12 PM
I can record stuff off of anything hooked up to my PC(PS2, cable, VCR, DVDs, etc). But to record stuff I'm actually doing on my PC, I'd need to have a VCR hooked up and record it onto a tape, then play it back to record it onto my PC.

Siearia
December 2nd, 2003, 03:55 PM
Hey, Mr. Woody, thank you for that one, its been months since I've really giggled. When you see a Tarutaru panic, you know it's a good day. *Nods seriously* Thank you for doing a FFXI comic, it means a lot to have one done by you. *Starts rubbing her nose*

By the way, if you can get a clip off of FF, could you post back here and tell how you did it? I still don't know how to get the screenshot's off 0.o.
(If that question's already been answered, don't worry about it.)

*Edit

Penguin (:>(O ):
December 2nd, 2003, 03:58 PM
Hehehe unfortunately FF11 was not the game for me and I quit after 2 weeks :P. Too much whacking and it took too long to do it. Yeah i was a Tarutaru MONK! heheh looked pretty interesting in that harness though... My account expired yesterday so i didnt get to see it again before i saw this comic. But, yeah it WAS funny.

Zorathenne
December 2nd, 2003, 04:25 PM
*raises an eyebrow and coughs*

Umm.. You looked pretty *what*?

Sarius
December 2nd, 2003, 05:22 PM
Well penguin the fact u played a caster type as a melee job, maybe thats why the "whacking" took too long :P cant change your opion but i love the game, unlike EQ (which I also like, dont get me wrong) there are set missions to keep the groveling task of Grinding more interesting,

check www.cobblestoned.com/gushell and check the photo album, theres a pic of my toon (sarius of course) fighting the "Dread dragon" and boy that was a rush, I've never faced a "boss mob" on EQ before(A proper one to this scale) and it really got me going.

Quests in the town are fun, easy and rewarding too. I couldnt really get into EQ's quests, however EQ is a lot more social, due to the PoP zone and Luclin where people gather, and no japanese sharing servers

Velenka
December 3rd, 2003, 12:15 AM
*nods to Zorathenne*

I was wondering about that, too....

Jhimaielin
December 3rd, 2003, 12:27 PM
G-YAD Mr. Woody, thank you for that one, its been months since I've really giggled. When you see a Tarutaru panic, you know it's a good day. *Nods seriously* Thank you for doing a FFXI comic, it means a lot to have one done by you. *Starts rubbing her nose*

By the way, if you can get a clip off of FF, could you post back here and tell how you did it? I still don't know how to get the screenshot's off 0.o.
(If that question's already been answered, don't worry about it.)

Basically you email them to yourself as attachments from inside the PlayOnline Navigator. The actual files saved by the program BEFORE this state are encoded somehow and aren't viewable until you email yourself with them.

HTH ^-^ (and hasn't been said already -.-;)

Rangor
December 3rd, 2003, 12:48 PM
I downloaded the FRAPS demo, and made this video...

http://www.geocities.com/eqitemsuk/Panic.mpg
It's about 900kb. I shall be deleting this character now, and recreating a human theif. :)

Woody
December 3rd, 2003, 12:57 PM
Bwah! Heh heh.

And now we know.

Thanks Rangor!

Velenka
December 3rd, 2003, 01:10 PM
/panic

Rangor's page isn't showing up for me!

EDIT: bah, ignore that. I had to right-click save it. I keep forgetting about that. :oops:

Rhiamon Fatesealer
LOL that's great. I was gonna do that last night too.. but I, um,... forgot *shuffles feet*

Link didn't work for me either at first, copy his URL and paste it into a new browser window. Rangor, I can host it if geocities is giving you bandwidth fits. Email it to me at rhiamontierney@yahoo.com

Catila Amano
Bah, bandwidth limit exceeded already. :(

Zeal
December 3rd, 2003, 02:15 PM
Hehehe...funny

Tadashya
December 3rd, 2003, 02:39 PM
*patiently waits an hour*... :(

edit : patience pays off! ha! those little guys are too cute. I think they outdo even the WoW gnome female.

Rangor
December 3rd, 2003, 03:54 PM
Right, more links. I knew it'd be handy to have 3 Geocities sites. :)

http://www.geocities.com/eqitemsuk/Panic.mpg
http://www.geocities.com/tjtassell/Panic.mpg
http://www.geocities.com/perdita1979/Panic.mpg

I've also emailed it to Rhiamon, so there will be another option soon. 8)

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 3rd, 2003, 03:59 PM
Uploaded it to my webspace, here's the link. Let's see if we can break my bandwidth ;)

http://www.allensnetworking.com/Panic.mpg

Tadashya
December 3rd, 2003, 03:59 PM
oh sure.. now with the links! *rolls eyes*

:D

/tease :wink:

Trastero
December 3rd, 2003, 04:10 PM
LOL A Tataru named Rangor? Somehow that doesn't quite fit. heheh I think I had my Tataru panic while running. I think. I also think it was even more funny than the standing panic. I think. I could be mixing my games up.

:wonders if I can get my Bothan to panick....

Edit: :wonders if I can learn to spell panic...

Rhiamon Fatesealer
December 3rd, 2003, 04:32 PM
Ever said "Run!" in SWG while standing still? It's almost funnier than the Tarutaru panic.

Rosey
December 3rd, 2003, 07:04 PM
I'm a Tarutaru Red Mage myself. I had to be. They are too freaking adorable. It's great to watch this tiny little doll person beat the crap out of hugh dhamels, which are essentially fat giraffes. And they go 'Hi-ya!' is squeaky little voices when they attack, so cutaru! ^_^

Triv
December 3rd, 2003, 08:26 PM
that wasn't funny! i wanted to see him fall down and hit his head on something