PDA

View Full Version : Intresting things I saw in Return of the King

ykkir
January 3rd, 2004, 01:28 AM
Just saw LOTR: ROTK (that's a long Acronym) for the second time and I noticed a couple of things. Maybe spoilers.

1. Several of the Orcs seem to look like Galkans

2. The Guards around the white tree in Minas Tirith look a lot like the guards from the cinematic at the beginning of the Warcraft 3 human campaign.

Note: these are just the observations of a sleep deprived mind

Billybobtheranger
January 3rd, 2004, 01:38 AM
and the Ogreish leader of the attacking army looks like the guy from the goonies

Rifter
January 3rd, 2004, 01:51 AM
and the Ogreish leader of the attacking army looks like the guy from the goonies

I think his name was Orthanc, if I remember correctly.

Radical Edward
January 3rd, 2004, 02:14 AM
I think I did see him wearing a superman shirt. Sloth.

xanzabak
January 3rd, 2004, 03:16 AM
HEEEEEY YOOOOOOOU GUUUUUUYS!!

Zeal
January 3rd, 2004, 03:16 AM
[spoiler:9d79d90c35]Don't forget Samwise's "Sgt. Slaugter-esque"(Ala GI Joe Movie) Raging rush[/spoiler:9d79d90c35]

I was waiting for a Nemesis Enforcer Soundbite to come up

hXc_thugg
January 3rd, 2004, 12:34 PM
Orthanc is the name of Saruman's tower...

Erling E.
January 3rd, 2004, 12:41 PM
What I find amusing is that they are reusing extras all the time, in all the movies. I saw plenty of extras in Minas Tirith in Return of the King, who played citizens of Edoras in Two Towers.

And yes, among them, Peter Jackson's two children.

hXc_thugg
January 3rd, 2004, 05:14 PM
A lot of the reusing stems from the fact that people working on the film want cameos.

Jackson's kids
Jackson himself
Barrie Osbourne
Sean Astin's daughter
Royd Tolkien
Viggo Mortenson's son

They're self-fulfilling nods to the crowd.

ReallyLongTypist
January 3rd, 2004, 05:18 PM
...that and they had to finish the movie on budget (which they did, by the way - along with being on schedule)

Celdryn
January 4th, 2004, 10:53 PM

I think his name was Orthanc, if I remember correctly.

As said above, Orthanc is the name of the tower at Isengard.

The Sloth/Toxic Avenger looking orc is named Gothmog :)

Trastero
January 5th, 2004, 07:01 AM
HEEEEEY YOOOOOOOU GUUUUUUYS!!

Great Electric Company nod. But how does it follow the thread?''

On thread: going to see this movie tonight, finally. Hope my tuffet is ready.

Kat
January 5th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Tras, it was sorta kinda on thread since it was also a reference to the character in the "Goonies" named Sloth. He shouts that as well.
Didn't you see the "Goonies"?

Coffee
January 5th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Hey, is that why they used to call me "mouth?"

Kat
January 5th, 2004, 10:36 AM
I hesitate to comment Coffee. :D
Perhaps to the point of refrain.

Tenolein
January 5th, 2004, 11:58 AM
I want to go see The Return of the King again bad-like. Great flick. =P

Penguin (:>(O ):
January 9th, 2004, 03:44 PM
[spoiler:4b0da9de73] Hey did any of you hear the car starting in the cave with Shelob? [/spoiler:4b0da9de73]

Movie was awesome i was to busy enjoying the movie to notice anything unusuall other than the thing listed above.

*edit took me sooo long to get that spoiler thing working

Felinis
January 10th, 2004, 03:24 AM
For those who have read other Tolkien works, Gothmog (who most know as the goonie looking orc) is also the name of the leader of the Balrogs as stated in the Silmarilion. I've always wondered how well the Balrog that Gandalf fought would compare with the might of Gothmog, himself only being second to dragons. And of course second to all of the Valar and Maiar.

hXc_thugg
January 10th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Morgoth 4 lifez!!!1!!1!!1111!one!!1

Billybobtheranger
January 11th, 2004, 01:05 AM
Well...by the looks of it...Gothmog (goonie guy) got his butt kicked by the trampeling hooves of the rohan riders.

Gnomish
January 11th, 2004, 03:38 AM
i finally saw it today! ^_^ and I was in AWE at the fabbity fab ness of it all!
one little girl in the big Gondor City (bah.. what it name) was also a Hobbit-ling.. ^_^
'That counts as One!'
was it just me or are the Rohan guys better looking than the Gondor ones? mebbe it's the long blonde beards...

Erling E.
January 11th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Gnomish, you're talking about Peter Jackson's children actually. There is a boy and a girl, and they were extras in all three films as hobbits, as citizens of Edoras and citizens of Minas Tirith.

The little girl is probably most known for sitting there listening to Bilbo's tale about trolls in Fellowship of the Ring.

Gnomish
January 11th, 2004, 08:16 PM
yep that the kid i saw! ^_^ Fili noticed her too. hott that she is PJ's kid

Catila Amano
January 12th, 2004, 11:59 AM
was it just me or are the Rohan guys better looking than the Gondor ones? mebbe it's the long blonde beards...Um, hate to break it to you, but some of those guys with the long blonde beards are women with long blonde beards. They didn't have enough skilled male riders around, so they had to put beards on female riders to make them look like male riders. (This is from the Two Towers Extended Edition DVD Appendices.)

Gnomish
January 12th, 2004, 12:22 PM
O_O ::covers mouth with her hands and walks away sadly::

EDIT: SOME WERE MEN! EOMER WAS PLAYED BY A GUY!!!! =P

Catila Amano
January 12th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Yes, Éomer was played by Karl Urban (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0881631), but some of his men weren't men. hehe

Rohan: Where the men are men and the women are too! :D

ykkir
January 12th, 2004, 02:23 PM
hey, you heard Eowyn, "the women of this country learned long ago that those without swords can still die by them"
and the women with beards aren't really rohirrim, they're actually Dwarf women in disguise . . .

"It's the Beards!"

Billybobtheranger
January 12th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Ack thats what ye need...a Women with something to hold onto! har har har

Raven00x
January 12th, 2004, 04:24 PM
the truth about dwarves and their beards (http://www.gamespy.com/comics/nodwick/gamespyarchive/gspynod057.html)

Penguin (:>(O ):
January 13th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Omg Panda what do you do all day, do you have a job? Well that took like 10 min for my dial up to load but was funny.

I liked the part in the battle of Minus Tiruth where the undead mofos zerglinged the Oliphant.

In short the whole movie left me in awe, :shock: , cant wait to buy the big huge jumbo ginormous dvd set i hope that they come out with ...

Raven00x
January 13th, 2004, 01:57 AM
i work, i've also followed the chronicles of nodwick for a while (since 2002).coupled with an amazing memory for trivial stuff, it took me about 2 minutes to find that one. :p

Velenka
January 13th, 2004, 02:06 AM
I like Nodwick :) I identify with the little wizard girl.

So about RotK, I though I would pass this quote that my hero Ursula Vernon asked:

It took the fellowship half a movie to get from Rivendell to Rohan, and they had to go through Moria, and they had Gandalf, who's practically a god, with them. And then it took a sizeable chunk of the next movie to get to the mountain fortress on this side of the Paths of the Dead.

Elrond, on t'other hand, on one horse, by himself, can get from Rivendell to Rohan with Aragorn's sword in about five minutes.

"Yeah," says James, "but he's an elf." "So was Legolas! And Gandalf was like a super-elf!" I protested.

Not that I'm giving Jackson a hard time----I just thought that was really funny. I also have a bad habit of picking out inconsistancies, even in movies I love (and I love me some LotR). Ursula is more observant than I am, though.

Ciarin
January 13th, 2004, 02:07 AM
"Get back in your box or we'll step on you."

HAHAHAHAH!!

Erling E.
January 13th, 2004, 02:23 AM
I am Aragorn, son of Alfred.

Atonic
January 13th, 2004, 08:08 AM
What I find amusing is that they are reusing extras all the time, in all the movies. I saw plenty of extras in Minas Tirith in Return of the King, who played citizens of Edoras in Two Towers.

Well, there are only so many folks in NZ

Erling E.
January 13th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Well, there are only so many folks in NZ

And I'm pretty sure there are enough for extras. Come on, they did CLOSE-UPS on people they used in the other movies as different countries! That's pretty horrible.

Jishia
January 13th, 2004, 09:24 AM
The General of the Orcs is Gothmog (i.e Mouth of Sauron) and I believe the Orc had been stricken with a bad case of Elphantitis.

And Orthanc is the Tower that resides at Isengard, which is the Stone Ring that resides beside the River Isen

Gnomish
January 13th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Ack thats what ye need...a Women with something to hold onto! har har har

O_O I know someone who said that on EQ... but i replied "that's why i have Pigtails" ^_^ and i'm leaving it at that...

Laly Penhailigan
January 13th, 2004, 09:39 AM
"Yeah," says James, "but he's an elf." "So was Legolas! And Gandalf was like a super-elf!" I protested.

Not that I'm giving Jackson a hard time----I just thought that was really funny. I also have a bad habit of picking out inconsistancies, even in movies I love (and I love me some LotR). Ursula is more observant than I am, though.

Elrond had a clicky "Gate to Random Mountain Pass" BP. :P

ReallyLongTypist
January 13th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Well, keep in mind that there were quite a few good passes between Rivendell and Gondor, but they were all being heavily watched by either Saruman or Sauron.

Remember, Saruman already knew The Ring was with the initial Fellowship, and so also knew where to watch for Gandalf and company.

Sauron did not, however, all passes that could be watched by him, were.

If nothing else, Elrond could have travelled through the pass that Gandalf had initially tried, since Sauruman could not have possibly been keeping watch over it at the same time as he was taking on the wrath of the Treants and their trees.

Satarus
January 13th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Elrond could have made for the gap of rohan, which the fellowship couldn't pass because of Isengard. Also Elrond would have traveled on horseback while the fellowship made thier trip on foot. Remember Gandalf went from Edoras to Minas Tirith in a couple of days on Shadowfax, and he had a halfling with him. Elrond would have traveled unencombered on horseback and could use his elfy magic to make the horse run faster.

Chahk_PS
January 13th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Elrond had the 100kpp horse, that's all.

Challel
January 13th, 2004, 12:22 PM
He could have started before the movie started and the information shown to us was just a flashback and filler to let us know just what had happened to bring him and the sword to Aragorn.

Satarus
January 13th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Thats probably true, he could have reforged it around the time of the battle of helms deep, and that would give him plenty of time to make his way out to the edge of rohan. Of course in the books, it was a group of rangers of the north that showed up at the camp, and they brought the elfstone. In the book, Aragorn left rivendale with the sword, but I didn't mind that change in the book because it adds more to the love story between Aragorn and the Elrond's daughter.

Also some useless LOTR trivia, the reason Arwyn could choose to become mortal was because she is only 3/4 elf. Elrond was half elvish, but choose an immortal's life while Elrond's brother choose a mortal's life.

Darley Marilith
January 13th, 2004, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure how many of you have had the opportunity to work on a movie set, but I have. I was on the set for a movie called White Sands, and for a tv movie called Revenge on the Highway. Here in NM, they advertise through the paper and news broadcasts if they need a mass number of people. Otherwise, they depend on the local population. The filming days run about 12 hours long. Extra's get paid about $50 for that 12 hours. But you are fed. The takes and retakes can be very exhausting. Most of the extras for the LoTR trilogy were probably seeing these takes in their sleep. Probably the reason for seeing so many of the same extra's over and over again is because they didnt have enough people who were able to make it to the sets every day, and so had to use who they had.
If you ever have a chance to see White Sands, or have seen it, the scenes at the rodeo took about a week or so to shoot. And if you look up in the stands, they looked packed. There were max 400 people at a time for the filming. They kept shifting people around the stands so the arena always looked full. Behold the power of movie magic. :)

ykkir
January 13th, 2004, 01:35 PM
ugh, the hanging onto a dwarf woman's beard thing has me cringing in rememberance of the D&D movie

Dwarf: "Gotta get yerself a good Dwarf woman, with hair on her chin that you can hang from!"

or something like that, I didn't pay much attention to the movie, other than the part in which Marlon Waynes died . . . for some reason I couldn't look away (couldn't keep from whispering a cheer to whatever deity's out there either)

Mordican
January 13th, 2004, 03:11 PM
The General of the Orcs is Gothmog (i.e Mouth of Sauron) and I believe the Orc had been stricken with a bad case of Elphantitis.

And Orthanc is the Tower that resides at Isengard, which is the Stone Ring that resides beside the River Isen

Gothmog is not the Mouth of Sauron... The MoS hit the cutting room floor and will be in the extended version of the flick.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm

Erling E.
January 13th, 2004, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure how many of you have had the opportunity to work on a movie set, but I have. I was on the set for a movie called White Sands, and for a tv movie called Revenge on the Highway. Here in NM, they advertise through the paper and news broadcasts if they need a mass number of people. Otherwise, they depend on the local population. The filming days run about 12 hours long. Extra's get paid about $50 for that 12 hours. But you are fed. The takes and retakes can be very exhausting. Most of the extras for the LoTR trilogy were probably seeing these takes in their sleep. Probably the reason for seeing so many of the same extra's over and over again is because they didnt have enough people who were able to make it to the sets every day, and so had to use who they had.

Sorry man, I still don't buy it. When try film someone _straight in the face_ they could atleast shift some around to film someone else _straight in the face_. For instance, they filmed an old woman in Minas Tirith who was a citizen of Rohan in the Two Towers. In both movies they film her straight in the face. It's just plain strange.

Having spotted some recognizable faces in the masses would be ok, but this is just unforgivable. I'm sure one person could have stepped in for that woman.

Serresrelic
January 13th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Heh, considering that their extras and didn't really have anything to do with the story other than to be there, I didn't even pay attention to what they looked like.

Erling E.
January 13th, 2004, 04:08 PM
I've seen Two Towers 6 times at the cinema, and Return of the King 3 times. You tend to see the details by then :-)

I saw Fellowship of the Ring 8 times (also in cinemas).

Rhiamon Fatesealer
January 13th, 2004, 05:05 PM
I kinda figured that they were refugees from Rohan.. you know, homes destroyed and all that, trying to go to a safe place. Haven't read the books yet though, so maybe that was silly

Pike Tha Blodd
January 13th, 2004, 05:07 PM
ditto, i figured thats where everyone went when they thought Rohan was gonna burn