PDA

View Full Version : "Skills" window broken??

Pike Tha Blodd
January 5th, 2004, 05:48 PM
so i decided to give an old char a run around and see how an old server was, and realized that my skills window refused to open, i thought at first that my UI had broken so I loaded up the default but still no skills window. Out of curiousity i created a new char and his skills window wouldnt open either. I went back to my main and all his windows was fine.... anyone else having this problem?? and on a side note does anyone know the command that opens up skills by itself without opening inventory? its the only thing i can think of trying that i havent yet done.

Raven00x
January 5th, 2004, 06:08 PM
for me it isn't, however i've been hearing a lot of people in ooc saying it is. i've been using the T.King Steamworks v1.2(or 1.3) UI, in case that has any effect on it.
could be that an unannounced patch slipped in, or there was something serverside that isn't agreeing with the xml, but that's just my uneducated theory.

Tsu
January 5th, 2004, 06:08 PM
mine doesn't work either. and I use the T.king cletic UI..

thargett69
January 5th, 2004, 06:46 PM
I don't normally post here much, but I've had the same problem as well but managed to find out how to fix it, at least in my case. Try opening the UI.ini file for your character in the EQ folder (for example mine is called UI_Misaskin_Saryrn.ini) Scroll down through the file and look for a heading that says [SkillsWindow]. Check the numbers at the end of the next four lines and make sure none of them equal zero. If any do, that is the problem, simply add in some different numbers on the end. I run EQ at 1024x768 and using the four values 331, 221, 320, and 262 worked. If anyone has any problems trying this feel free to PM me.

Pike Tha Blodd
January 5th, 2004, 07:56 PM
you sir, are my new HERO!!
thanks man, that did tha trick

Kelori
January 6th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Yea, this is a very common bug thats been happening to a lot of people. I recommend moving the Skillswindow file out from the folder (or deleting it) and getting a new one patched. That has been working for everyone I recommended it for. A nice way to try and fix things on your own is say your characters won't load Great Divide, You crash when you try it. Delete (or move the files out of the folder if deleting makes you nervous you will screw something up) and just patch fresh new ones. Then if it works.. You are squared away and can delete the bad ones if you just moved them out of the folder. ANd if you are still having trouble, saves you a step when tech support suggests you do it.

I don't know about the changing the numbers thing that Tsu talks about.. it could work too *shrug*

Landsknecht
January 6th, 2004, 04:05 PM
I got one for ya. Two characters, both use same UI. Skills window works for one of em, but not the other one. Bugging the snot out of me...

Pike Tha Blodd
January 6th, 2004, 06:02 PM
use Tharg suggestion, i was in the same boat, and it worked for both UI's jsut had to change them while the game was not running and its all good and proper now

KyrosKrane
January 7th, 2004, 01:17 AM
The skills window "not working" isn't entirely accurate. It's working in a technical sense; the window is getting displayed. It's just that for some funky reason, it's being displayed off the screen or outside the window, if you use windowed mode. Resetting the numbers as Tharg suggested basically places the window back on the main screen, so you can work with it normally.

Landsknecht
January 7th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Well I'll be damned. I wonder how that got that way to begin with?? I checked and sure enough, the window was being told to open with a 0 height and width. Works like a charm now.

Deathbane27
January 7th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Ah, good to here there's a fix. I had some people not openning on one computer but the other worked fine. :P

I wonder why it's only the skills window that's been doing this?

Gozak
January 7th, 2004, 09:11 PM
No clue... and the window has been acting up for a while. Ever since a few patches back it's not been working.

Oddly enough, it's always worked when I've relogged with the same character. I don't know why either. Although changing the numbers in the UI.ini file makes sense.

Kelori
January 8th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Its a known bug and it is very common. My best assumption is they are trying to find out WHY its been happening to try and prevent it from occuring. Supposedly there is also a thread on this at the Eqlive forum as well for anyone who wants to hear a fix for this from "official" type people.

Naelaen
January 8th, 2004, 09:17 AM
The skills windows have been broken for some characters since the big patch in December. For me, whilst my Vazaelle characters seemed to have their skill windows, my shaman on Tunare can't see the skills window. It's all to do with the induvidual character UI files :)