PDA

View Full Version : But... what about his mom? (1/6)

Woody
January 6th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Every time I read the Final Fantasy site, I feel like I'm reading a childrens book rather than reading information about an online environment for gamers. It's all sugar coated and simplistic. Almost, ridiculously so.

One of the things that truly confuse me though is the inability to play Galka females or Mithra males. Uhmm... for lack of a more poingant interrogative, WHY?

I mean, it complete leaves up in the air, as far as the subject of the comic goes, WHERE is his mom? Was he magically produced from a rock or something? I really gotta know.

So those of you actually playing the game... if you have info... fill me in?

KyrosKrane
January 6th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Ah, those wonderful philosopical questions that make games fun! :)

Hum ... I don't play FFXI, but do the missing females and males respectively exist in the game as NPC's? If not, maybe the two races reproduce by budding, or laying eggs or something. Or maybe they're supposed to mate with each other; they're just two sides of a different coin.

After all, even Tolkein never really specified what happened to the female Ents in the Lord of the Rings, nor even what they look like. It's not uncommon in fantasy and science fiction for males and females of the same race to have radically different appearance and personalities.

If they're actually in the game but not playable, that's a different matter altogether ... and not necessarily one I'm qualified to comment on.

Not that I'm qualified in any way, shape, or form, mind you ... but rambling is fun. :D

KiTA
January 6th, 2004, 03:11 AM
So those of you actually playing the game... if you have info... fill me in?

Galkas aren't really explained well, IIRC. Whenever they die they are reincarnated somehow. That's how they reproduce -- whenever they die, a new copy of themselves appears as a child to take their place. I donno past that. IIRC they're actually Unisexual -- they're not male. Although, that might be me getting them and Atroxi confused. (edit: I should point out that it might be explained well someplace else -- I donno, since I took one look at the races and their stats in FF11 and decided Mithra was the race for me. Catgrrl powah! ^_^; )

Mithra men do exist, however IIRC the story is that they're either very very rare or that in the great war the majority of them died -- so they're kept in the village and not allowed out. (If you think that's all fine and dandy, imagine being a woman in the 1700s or so. I have to imagine the Mithra Males have about as many civil rights.)

I think there's a pirate leader who's a male Mithra that you run into in the expansion's quest storyline.

MCW
January 6th, 2004, 03:12 AM
from what the manual says, the one that came with the game. Gelka reproduce by some form of reincarnation, I've ran into a few NPC's that speak of this.

As for Mithra, they say they live in Windurst (we know that) and only the females venture out into the world. The men must be shy or somthing, Why can't I find them when I visit Windurst?

most people just assume all races are compatiable with each other, well thats what they like to think.

I thought tolkein did a decent job explaining the ent-wives, how they wanted to explore and ventured off never to be seen again.

M}

calderan
January 6th, 2004, 03:13 AM
I'm not sure about the Mithra but I remember a few NPCs that tell you various tidbits about the Galka.

Basically... While the Galka look male they are asexual. I seem to remember an Galka NPC somewhere in Windurst that expresses amusement that other races find it weird (the child by the airship port perhaps?).

[Edit: I don't know where I had the whole egg thing stuck in my mind... Is there an NPC that talks about the reincarnation?]

Square-Enix seems to have a weird sense of humor in the game. They even manage to make leeches look cute.

Reymi_VZ
January 6th, 2004, 03:20 AM
One of the things that truly confuse me though is the inability to play Galka females or Mithra males. Uhmm... for lack of a more poingant interrogative, WHY?

My first thought: They have a better union.

Seriously though, I think SciFi is broken into two schools (huge generalisation). These are Star Wars and Star Trek.

Star Wars is just "yeah." Things are the way they are.

Star Trek is "why is it so?" to quote Prof Julius Sumnermiller. Everything needs to be explained.

This was explained to me during Episode 1 when I asked why something was happening in relation to something else. To be honest I don't remember what it was, I was just pleased I stayed awake somehow. I was abruptly informed that it isn't important or necessary to understand all the varagies of the science, philospohy or reasoning for Star Wars to be Star Wars. There is a reason and explaination but it isn't necessary for you to know it.

The complete antihisis (sp?) is the Star Trek world. Everything has a reason that needs to be explored, understod and rationalised.

So my answer to you Woody is this.

Which universe do you live in? Wookies or Tribbles?

PS. Nice background. Stop worrying about others reproduction and take a look at the leggy redhead!

Woody
January 6th, 2004, 03:33 AM
I live in a world with neither wookies nor tribbles. And, I'm not worrying over others' reproduction methods; I'm just asking a question.

Which, by the way, seems to have been answered. Thanks folks.

Zeal
January 6th, 2004, 03:38 AM
maybe a Mithra Male is like a Jedi Slot...you can unlock it if you play enough FF XI... Then play 2 bucks to activate it

OK...bad joke.

That is pretty strange, though personally speaking. Gender restricted races. Makes for good comic though

Reymi_VZ
January 6th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Hmmm Woody. That was meant as humourous. Sorry if you took offence but it was not intended in that manner.

Enchanter
January 6th, 2004, 05:06 AM
i think they preproduce aseuxually. mabye by budding. So I thing they should not worry when a head and arm is sticking out of their backs.

Sarius
January 6th, 2004, 05:34 AM
heh well its been answered but the clothes etc. are drawn spot on accurate, thats a really good picture (as per usual) but so acurate, like how you done the backround by bluring a screenshot i presume?

Liiste
January 6th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Surely this question is tied to some of those great EQ unanswereds like "Why are there no female orcs or giants in Norrath?"

HazeSti
January 6th, 2004, 06:05 AM
At home cooking gnomes... *dramatic music*

After all, even Tolkein never really specified what happened to the female Ents in the Lord of the Rings, nor even what they look like.

You should read the book, there's a nice talk about the ent-wives.

I wish there were male Mithra. They are in hidding apparently. Its the reason I chose againts making a Mithra, too many men would be playing them, and I had enough of people mistaking me for a guy in EQ as an Iksar.

I made an Elvaan. And they still mistake me for a guy. I'm cursed.

Cute comic woody... I had never looked into the explanation for the Galka's, and this thread enlightened me.

Coffee
January 6th, 2004, 06:06 AM
There are Galka women, but they look so much like the men that popular belief is there are no Galka women.

fencat
January 6th, 2004, 06:09 AM
Taken from the FFXI manual pg. 78 (creating a character)

Mithra
A race of catlike humanoids, the Mithra live in Windurst and its surrounding islands. They are characterized by their large ears, long tails and superior agility. There are very few male Mithra, and only female Mithra venture out into the world.

Galka
The Galka are a physically imposing race, and are the minority population of Bastok. Characterized by their hulking frames, the Galke are renowned for their unsurpassed strength. The Galka reproduce through a form of reincarnation and hence have no specific gender, but are generally considerd to be male.

---

Thats the best answer I could find in the manual anyway, been in windurst and havent seen or heard anything about where the male Mithra might be hidding and I have still to visit Bastok, but I can report back once I do =)

As for the comic really fun specialy if you play FF I really enjoyed it =)

Foehammer
January 6th, 2004, 06:18 AM
I haven't played FFXI, but I have been keeping up with Ultima X: Odessey, and they have a simular situation, but it's explained fully. In UXO, there are Orcs and Pixies as playable races. Orcs have no females because the Guardian created them for war, and therefore he felt that not being able to reproduce would bind them to him for their surviveal. So not only are there no females, but the orcs are actually a dying race.

The Pixies are all female, and have no males. Again, this is because of the Guardian. At first there were males and females, and he created the Pixies to be his spys. Sort of falls into the "they're too cute to be evil" category. But they later left the Guardian's service. The males returned to him, and were punished by being turned into imps, so the females survived, and the males are MoBs you can kill (divorced women will love that! j/k :D )

So in FFXI it sounds like there's a reason for it, but it's not explained well if at all. Tolkien did simular things in LotR. He never bothered with explaining the finer points. Like female orcs, or even if elves can reproduce though he hinted that elves can reproduce with humans (i.e. Elrond the half-elven).

I liked the analogy of "Star Wars and Star Trek." And sometimes it's better to leave things unexplained. Because if the characters in the world don't know their own origions, they why should the players?

Tulerin
January 6th, 2004, 07:02 AM
The Galka are a physically imposing race, and are the minority population of Bastok. Characterized by their hulking frames, the Galke are renowned for their unsurpassed strength.

That not is entirely true....actually the elvaan have more "naked" str then the galka at the higher levels. Go figure~

Link below is for warrior to compare str:

http://ffo.warcry.com/index.php/content/jobs/warrior

Jishia
January 6th, 2004, 07:32 AM
I dont want to sound blatantlly rude, and i'm trying not to be rude as well, but the reason why is quite obvious and has been explained.

You see Mithra males account for 1% of the Racial population and because of this they are used to breed exclusivlly for their entire lives as they are so rare on the world.

as for Galka, they are arcane artificial creations used like brute force beasts of burden, and they reproduce through magical Reincarnation, they arn't techniclly men, they're Nueter.

Damanin
January 6th, 2004, 07:38 AM
There are Galka women, but they look so much like the men that popular belief is there are no Galka women.

This has led to the believe that Galka just spring out of holes in the ground! Well that isn't true, of course.

Karimi
January 6th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Maybe they reproduce asexually

Naelaen
January 6th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Surely this question is tied to some of those great EQ unanswereds like "Why are there no female orcs or giants in Norrath?"

Because they just drop out of the sky :D

Necrosaro
January 6th, 2004, 08:05 AM
FFXI is the first game I ever played where Elves were stronger then any other race. Galka are still strong, but their thing is having the most hit points which in the long run is more important then having a few more str points for melee classes. The drawback for Galka is that there mp is terribly low for any caster class. So low that it is almost pointless to be any class that uses MP. Unless you get one of those expensive HP -> MP converting items.

Oh and Woody, I love the art in todays strip. It is spot on.

fencat
January 6th, 2004, 08:14 AM
I dont want to sound blatantlly rude, and i'm trying not to be rude as well, but the reason why is quite obvious and has been explained.

You see Mithra males account for 1% of the Racial population and because of this they are used to breed exclusivlly for their entire lives as they are so rare on the world.

as for Galka, they are arcane artificial creations used like brute force beasts of burden, and they reproduce through magical Reincarnation, they arn't techniclly men, they're Nueter.

Where did you find this info? All I've found is whats in the manual, would love if you could point me to a site or someting with more info? =)

Kallisti
January 6th, 2004, 08:23 AM

That is Diskworld Dwarves...

Jishia
January 6th, 2004, 08:37 AM
It is in the game via lore, alot of it is from NPCs who you can talk to recieve information about Van'Diel. Websites tend to be a little inaccurate when it comes to game lore

Kat
January 6th, 2004, 09:09 AM
I never thought of that. No female orcs in EQ.
Come to think of it, there aren't many humanoid MOBs with females.
No wonder it's hard to taunt.

Nobody has a mother to insult!

Duhulk
January 6th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Woody, I believe the ultimate reason for there not being any Galka females, or Mithra males for that matter, as a playable race comes down to a technical reason, the limited RAM on the PS2.

The information for player models goes into main memory, because they can show up in any area. They probably only had enough memory for 8 player models. Since they didn't want to have only 4 races, they had the last pair each be a single sex race.

Necrosaro
January 6th, 2004, 10:02 AM
The real reason for no Male Mithra is that there are no male Cat men in Anime. If you watch enough Anime movies you see Cat women but no cat men. The cat women in anime movies are about the same as the Mithra, mostly human looking with just cat ears, tail and nose. Seems the Japanese don't have a thing for Cat men.

FFXI is very influenced by Anime. The way all the races look remind me of Anime. The Galka are overly huge, humes are all thin and look like teenagers, Elves have pointy eairs that go strait out instead of up, and Tarus and just the tiny cute things that every anime move has.

KiTA
January 6th, 2004, 10:10 AM
As for Mithra, they say they live in Windurst (we know that) and only the females venture out into the world. The men must be shy or somthing, Why can't I find them when I visit Windurst?

Because the Mithra don't actually live in Windurst, they actually live in the hidden Mithra village of... er.. forget the name. It's located deep in one of the world's forests and is not a location in the game. The Mithra in Windurst do stay there, but their home is their village -- and that's where the men are kept (to keep them safe.)

IIRC, anyway.

KiTA
January 6th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Where did you find this info? All I've found is whats in the manual, would love if you could point me to a site or someting with more info? =)

I'd love to know too, cause that the exact same info I have in my head, and I'd love to know where I picked it up. :) (Although, the Galka being artificial is news to me... and I always heard that the reason there's not many Mithra males isn't explained...)

Jishia
January 6th, 2004, 12:00 PM
I listed why you dont see Female Galka or Male Mithra, it has been said by Squareenix in actual game reference, I dont see a reason to discuss conjectures when there ARE reasons, al beit obscure ones.

Woody
January 6th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Amen Jish.

---

Oh and thatwasn't me taking offense, Reymi. It was me stating fact.

Dragonel
January 6th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Okay, the horse still has a feint pulse, so let me see if I can't solve that problem.

*Gets out her onion rod*

It's already been explained that Galka use magical reincarnation to reproduce (and they're not described as unisex anywhere that I've seen, that would be the Atrox from Anarchy Online).

The mithra, it's been explained, simply have a small male population (one of the NPCs in windhurst suggests they live on an island). I've gotten the general impression from the game that their society's somewhat leonine- The females are the hunters, the males mostly just sit around comfortably, and so don't really feel the need to leave the island.

Outside of the game, the Anime explanation can still be built upon. I read an interview with one of the designers in EGM. Social interaction was intended to be a heavy part of FFXI, and it's something they've succeeded at quite well by excising OOC and global chat channels, replacing trading channels with the Auction houses, and mysterious Guilds with item-based linkshells. The theory, however, extends to the characters types you play, as well. The different races, and the different appearances of the armor the classes wear, are meant not just to provide stat arrays that let you be an effective warrior, summoner, or ninja, but also to put your toon into a social context.

The humes and elvaan are meant for your "average" player, who wants a character they can identify with, looking either like a young human (most MMOG players are teens or in their early-mid twenties), or a stylized heroic badass (everything the Elvaan do simply oozes style).

The Tarutaru, in the words of the designers, are for players who want to indulge the 'cuter' aspects of their personality. Hence, they're little superdeformed chibi-wizards.

The Mithra and the Galka represent two other popular anime/videogame stereotypes, the Cat woman, who'se usually quite physically capable, and alternately ditzy or violent (portrayed pretty well in the NPCs, from what I've seen), and the big hulking brute, who is almost unfailingly male in the games, shows, and movies I've seen.

I would even go so far as to bring up one of the most common character groupings from anime. You see, a lot of anime, just like a lot of American tv, cartoons, and movies, relies on genre standards that they've found to work, so that the writers don't have to work as hard at crafting interesting plot, character development, or dialogue. In this case, what I'm referring to is the group structure of anime protagonists. Go out and look for an Anime TV Show that revolves around a group of five or six characters, and you'll see these archetypes in almost every one:

The Lead- Usually a fighter or warrior of some sort, he'll be a male in his late teens or early twenties, attractive, and often quite moral.

The Rival- Like the lead, he's powerful and dangerous, sometimes a warrior, sometimes some sort of mystic, he's clearly the only real 'competitor' with the Lead, and is everything the lead is, but in a slightly more sinister way. A classic anti-hero (once again, always male).

The Girl- Though she's probably quite competent in her field, she's also usually weaker on the whole than any other member, rarely able to take care of herself. Magic users are common in this role, though in some cases she'll be something like a spy or a ninja who simply has the misfortune to often be captured or confronted by a more powerful enemy, requiring the previous two characters to rush to her aid. She's intelligent, voulnerable, unfailingly beautiful, and generally the source of the rivalry between the first two characters.

The Brute- Not necissarily stupid, but generally not exactly brilliant, either. The two defining aspects of this character are his steadfast nature, and the fact that his physical proportions are often grotesquely excagerated (being twice as tall as any other character isn't uncommon). He's the muscles of the group.

The Fool- Typically a thief, though magical or scientific genious can be substituted, this (generally male) character is skinny and relatively unimpressive (except when it would be funny or cool for him to be otherwise). He provides a good deal of the comic relief, and has a smartass comment for everything. He and the Brute are often fast friends, playing off eachother whenever possible. Neither of them has any chance with the Girl, and they know this.

So, to extend this to FFXI, say your Lead is a Hume Samurai, your Rival is an Elvaan Ninja, the Girl is most likely a Hume White Mage, or some other support caster, the Brute will be a Galka fighter or monk (Tanking duties are as likely to fall with the Lead as with the Brute), and the Fool could quite possibly be a Tarutaru, Mithra, or Hume, likely Black Mage, Red Mage, or Thief. This then leaves one additional character slot that might go filled by some other support or offensive caster, typically blatant comic relief, probably either a Tarutaru or Mithra.

The result? A bite-sized bit of your favorite weekday afternoon cartoon.

Velenka
January 6th, 2004, 01:36 PM
The horse isn't just dead, it's beyond dead, it's glue and the stick is now glued to the floor :)

I just wanted to chime in and add that I like the yummy detail given to the armor on both of those characters. And the clinging-to-hope expression on the Galka's face...*hops happily up and down* FFXI comic, FFXI comic...school got cancelled for snow day and there's a FFXI comic..

Eeep! I can't help it! I'm becoming a rabid Final Fantasy fan!

Bashadorf
January 6th, 2004, 02:05 PM
hmm i always thought the minra and galka, for lack of a better word, "worked" together. i mean a galka can kinda look like a cat if you squint your eyes *shrug*, well they do have tails, well you learn something new everyday

Shiach_gaidin
January 6th, 2004, 02:32 PM
I don't care woody Did A FFXI comic and spot on.
*cheers for woody*
YAYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Euphem
January 6th, 2004, 02:43 PM
the way I see it, Mithra are cats *duh* and Galka are sorta bulldog-like...

Radical Edward
January 6th, 2004, 03:18 PM
It sounds like Mithran tribes resemble Lion Prides.

Falditen
January 6th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Sounds like the male Mithran's have it nice.

Stay at home laze about, probably have a nice "pride" of females taking care of him.

I say "pride" instead of harem as it wouldn't be a arabian type harem, more like a pride of lionesses with a male lion.

KiTA
January 6th, 2004, 04:05 PM
The humes and elvaan are meant for your "average" player, who wants a character they can identify with, looking either like a young human (most MMOG players are teens or in their early-mid twenties), or a stylized heroic badass (everything the Elvaan do simply oozes style).

Except that if you watch and Elvaan for too long, they start to look like monkeys. Their arms are really long compared to the rest of their bodies. =)

Raven00x
January 6th, 2004, 04:08 PM
if'n i ever play FFXI, i'm a-gunna make a elvaan named Arsinne Lupin then... (lets see if anyone catches that reference.)

Billybobtheranger
January 6th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Nice reference oh great panda lord

Arishia
January 6th, 2004, 04:32 PM
I kinda feel bad for that Galkan playe. ;_; Poor guy. Apparently he didn't get the memo =)

Great comic! ^_^ The Galkan is gorgeously drawn! You made him look so cool, and this comes from someone who really dislikes them o_o

Pike Tha Blodd
January 6th, 2004, 06:03 PM
what does IIRC mean?? i can usually figure out the acronyms without help but this one has me stumped

Kweil
January 6th, 2004, 06:41 PM
If I recall (or remember) correctly

lionfire
January 6th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Well the only thing I can think of for the Mithra is the lioness is the one who hunts and the male lions stay back and defend the cubs/home? I dunno. But as far as the Gulka Females.. I think it's to keep the ugliness factor that EQ had down to a minimum.. I mean.. a Female Troll/Ogre... umm.. no.

Oh just wanted to add that the Hume in the comic looks just like my RDM.. same armor and all.. :D

Daem
January 6th, 2004, 07:46 PM
On an interesting side note, have any of you noticed that FFXI females are all thigh and very little breast? I was pleasently surprised by the change from the video game cliche.

Raven00x
January 6th, 2004, 07:48 PM
from video game cliché (thank you, ms. croft) to anime cliché.

Tsu
January 6th, 2004, 07:51 PM
but.. but.. what's wrong with troll females when they look like this http://www.gucomics.com/archives/view.php?cdate=20030207

Velenka
January 6th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Baby got back.
http://velenka.digital-panda.net/baby.jpg

Dragonel
January 6th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Amen Daem... Still though, I'm glad I'm a taru, because the famale characters legs must get *awful* cold at times...

Another interesting note- Back in the day, naked EQ characters looked, well, naked, as I recall. Girls ended up in something underwear looking (or swimsuit looking for woodelves), and boys wound up in pants or shorts mostly. On Anarchy Online naked characters all wore the same unisex outfit for their race (with varying degrees of modesty).

In EQ, naked girls wear underwear, while naked boys get nice crewneck sweaters and cozy leggings...

lionfire
January 7th, 2004, 03:04 AM
Well on the note of anime cliché .. I really enjoy the stripper music that plays in the background when you select the Mithra on the initial character creation and there's sort of a 70's porn music for the Hume Female. Kudos to the design team. -_^

lionfire
January 7th, 2004, 03:07 AM
but.. but.. what's wrong with troll females when they look like this http://www.gucomics.com/archives/view.php?cdate=20030207

Well... kinda looks like Sarah Jessica Parker... so.. still very Fugly. O.o

Duhulk
January 7th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Well Jish, god forbid the technical aspects actually influenced the lore, something which happens very frequently in games, especially online games, especially massively multiplayer online games.

Rhiamon Fatesealer
January 7th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Yeah I thought the little preview clips for the different fem races were pretty funny. Hume and Elvaan fem ones were pretty bad, but the Mithra one sounded JUST like cheesy porn music. I spent like an hour laughing my ass off and flipping between them all.

Bashadorf
January 7th, 2004, 11:24 PM
i spent an hour looking at the Mithra one, but for other reasons, hehehe. JOKING, i dont get off to computer animations

Belelslooth
January 8th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Go out and look for an Anime TV Show that revolves around a group of five or six characters, and you'll see these archetypes in almost every one:

The Lead- Usually a fighter or warrior of some sort, he'll be a male in his late teens or early twenties, attractive, and often quite moral.

The Rival- Like the lead, he's powerful and dangerous, sometimes a warrior, sometimes some sort of mystic, he's clearly the only real 'competitor' with the Lead, and is everything the lead is, but in a slightly more sinister way. A classic anti-hero (once again, always male).

The Girl- Though she's probably quite competent in her field, she's also usually weaker on the whole than any other member, rarely able to take care of herself. Magic users are common in this role, though in some cases she'll be something like a spy or a ninja who simply has the misfortune to often be captured or confronted by a more powerful enemy, requiring the previous two characters to rush to her aid. She's intelligent, voulnerable, unfailingly beautiful, and generally the source of the rivalry between the first two characters.

The Brute- Not necissarily stupid, but generally not exactly brilliant, either. The two defining aspects of this character are his steadfast nature, and the fact that his physical proportions are often grotesquely excagerated (being twice as tall as any other character isn't uncommon). He's the muscles of the group.

The Fool- Typically a thief, though magical or scientific genious can be substituted, this (generally male) character is skinny and relatively unimpressive (except when it would be funny or cool for him to be otherwise). He provides a good deal of the comic relief, and has a smartass comment for everything. He and the Brute are often fast friends, playing off eachother whenever possible. Neither of them has any chance with the Girl, and they know this.

Haha... I was checking this against Urusei Yatsura... but that series is just too plain weird for any comparison :D

Soria
January 8th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Hmmm Doing a mental checklist against Inuyasha, everything there expect the Brute.

But staying with the comic, Loved it Woody! Kinda explains why I always read manuals before I pick a character.

Jishia
January 8th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Shippo is the Brute!.. or is in Sango? ~.~